Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Ok, busy day today in the garage!!!!!

Here you go:

The exhaust sytem is done:

All new pipe all the way back :

post-42851-1193188338_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188370_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188409_thumb.jpg

New Y pipe and hihg flow cat.

post-42851-1193188431_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188446_thumb.jpg

And,,, TADAAAH!!,,,,,

The turbo is in:

post-42851-1193188720_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188739_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188759_thumb.jpg

Here is the blow off valve and wastegate installed:

post-42851-1193188797_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188773_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188784_thumb.jpg

Here is the oil feed and return taps:

post-42851-1193188816_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188836_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193188850_thumb.jpg

And here is a shot of the intercooler on :

post-42851-1193188877_thumb.jpg

I still have to finish the intercooler plumbing, then put the injectors in and the fuel pump on. Then tap the AEM mgmt. system in. Flush the oil and refill . Run the gauges and monitor sytem. Then it's dial in and tune time.

Ok, It's Friday night, and I wish I had better news. So here is the low down.

Turbo, intercooler, and exhaust are all in and done.

post-42851-1193444274_thumb.jpg

I'm using a "new " AEM fuel mgmt system, so that took longer to install than usual.

post-42851-1193444144_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193444133_thumb.jpg

So, after pulling alot of hair out, I finally got it wired in. So up to the dyno :

post-42851-1193444311_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193444322_thumb.jpg

So here is where the headache really started. So of course the system is set way rich. so after a few short runs playing with and setting it up, we start getting some real hp numbers down. But everytime we go to really dial it in the car just kept feeling boggy, even though the dyno said lean the hh kept reading rich??????? back and fourth back and fourth. So we took a break. Let it all cool down, and start over again later. After a few hours we went back to the dyno and tried a few more runs. And for the first time broke 300 RWHP numbers and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. Not bad. But something just wasn't feeling right.

So we're looking over the DTC scans and Dyno sets when my camera person walks up to me and says "CHeck this out!!" and shows me a video he took of the car doing a full pull and about a 2 foot blue flame like a jet engine coming out the exhaust!!!!!! And says "DUDE, That was cool, and I got it on video for ya!" ( At this point I realized he knows nothing about cars, and the urge to smack him was barely controlable, but I managed.) So, I bent over and looked in the exhaust and I see it's glowing bright red on the inside, and there was our problem. The catalytic converter blew apart and was clogging the exhaust. ( DAMN!!!) So, tonight we had to stop, and obviously wait for the exhaust to cool down. First thing in the morning, I'm gonna roll the car back on the ramps, cut the cat off, and drill it out and get it all cleared out, then put it back on. We should be good to go tommarrow afternoon.

Oh, and I will have to order another boost controller so, I'm thinking I'll get the digital 2 stage boost controller. So for now, we are tuning and setting it up for 6 PSI. When I get the boost controller, we'll have 6 psi. be the low boost and 12 psi be the high boost. At 6 psi, we turned 300 rwhp!! And that's on a Mustang Dyno, so like on a Dynojet Dyno that number is more like 350 rwhp!!! The stock Dyno pull was 180 wrhp. So we have doubled the hp.

I have some video of the pulls. But I need to figure out how to upload them to this. Then hopefully this weekend I can post a time slip. I'm thinking low to mid 12's. We'll see!!

I too tired to post pics tonight. But I promise they will come along with video of the dyno runs.

The final numbers came out awsome!!!! 356 rwhp @ 5500 RPM and 358 ft. lbs. @ 5000 RPM. Now that's on an AWD dyno, so you take those numbers and multiply by 1.15 to get 409 rwhp and 412 ft. lbs. @ 10 PSI. !!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed a Greddy digital boost controller, so I have a low boost setting at 6 PSI and a high setting at 10 PSI.

That turbo along with the Tenabe exhaust, is amazingly quiet!!!! No rasp at all!!! We were all very surprised at how quiet the whole set up turned out to be. Of course with the cat. gone, I get a little more air flow, and I came up one 02 sensor short. So I will have to replace the #2 sensor yet. I'm sure I will get a cel soon.

Well, heres a few pics of the final day:

The car after we finished and were tossing down a beer looking at our work:

post-42851-1193619894_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193619907_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193619874_thumb.jpg post-42851-1193619926_thumb.jpg

Heres a screen shot while we tuning. The final dyno run was shot on video. so these were earlier while we were still looking for the right timeing and af mixes. I think this is the low boost (6psi) screen shot:

post-42851-1193621338_thumb.jpg

Here is the final dyno sheet:

post-42851-1193622058_thumb.jpg

So, I've had the car for a full day and did some "test" driving. I went out to some roads I know and opened it up.

teu49.gif WOW!!!! the pull is seemless and sooo strong!! From idle to spool, there is no loss in power or torque. And when the turbo boosts up,( around 2700 RPM) all you hear is a deep jet engine power up sound and the car just starts going forward faster, like hitting the ff button on a vhs player. The tranny shifts smoothly into and out of gears, and when I just drive it normal, the car drives just like before, only with a slight attitude now as the exhaust and tuning give you much more throttle response. The Tein coilovers are shining now as they handle the power to the ground very nicely. And even though the car is 1" lower, the everyday bumps in the road are handled very well, and when you step on it, you can feel the suspension tighten and not let the a$$ end drop. I did a brake boost from 30 mph and tires just broke free and I rode the drift about 300 feet or so, with a nice white cloud line coming off the rear tires. ( I won't be doing that again. I think I will be needing a tranny upgrade first.!! Damn!! )

And I killed my first Mustang today, along with an IS 350. OH Yeah!!!! The Mustang never even had a chance. I think it was just a V6 . and the IS 350 was shocked!!! I kinda played with him and lured him into it. When he finally realized I was in, we rolled up on a light. He was behind me and I was the first one in line one the inside lane. So when the light turned green I jumped out far enouph for him to get in the lane next to me. And when he did, I heard him punch that V6, and just as he did, I spooled up and let the boost go. I jumped out 3 car lengths and by the time I hit 90 I was far enouph in front that he got the message. So we slowed down and came up to the next light. This time side by side. I heard him standing on throttle with the brake waiting for it to change to green. He never looked over once yet. So I revved up enouph to spool the turbo and when the light turned green he jumped about a half car length out, but then the HP kicked in and I pulled away from him like he was standing still!!!! And I kept pulling out until I backed out for the traffic coming up . When we caught up to the traffic and the lights, He was looking at my IS 300 front to back and I could see the puzzled look on his face. We rolled our windows down and he smiled and asked what I had. I told him and he shook his head and said he never thought the IS 300 were fast. So I told him, " Now you know." LOL!!! So it was a very good day. teu55.gif

haha...wish i could've been in your passenger seat to see that

As I can't hold a camera and drive at the same time, Later, I have a buddy who is going to sit there and hold the vid while we go. we just have to coordinate our time. Plus I have to get a youtube or cartopia so I can upload the videos and post the links.

Fabulous job B) :cheers:

Thanks dcfish!! And to everyone that has been contributing to this thread. Thanks for the support and help along the way.

So, I've been browsing thru my catalogs, and I have decided what is yet to come.

1) Start looking into the tranny upgrade and drive train.

2) Get a carbon fiber hood, and trunk.

3) body kit, or race lip extensions

4) rear window hood

5) debadge the car.

6) darker tint ( Maybe)

7) address what I'm going to do with the rear tail lights as the tint covers didn't work.

8) Add push button ignition switch.

9) get the dash LED's converted to white.

10) add front strut tower and rear chassis brace.

Now this is my basic plan layout. As i come to each desicion I will do all the research and find the right deal for me along with the right look I want.

So, if anyone has ideas and weblinks to cool parts and good pricing and all that, suggestions or just feed back, I'd love to hear it. I hope everyone sees this thread as a open garage where you can feel free to come in and contribute. I hope this thread will be around for a long time, because as much I like the help, offered opinions, and direction, I also hope it's helping you see the process and answer questions you may have.

So, again, thanks to everyone for making this thread, and the LOC a great place to talk about our rides. B)

Fabulous job B):cheers:

Thanks dcfish!! And to everyone that has been contributing to this thread. Thanks for the support and help along the way.

So, I've been browsing thru my catalogs, and I have decided what is yet to come.

4) rear window hood

5) debadge the car.

6) darker tint ( Maybe)

7) address what I'm going to do with the rear tail lights as the tint covers didn't work.

Now this is my basic plan layout. As i come to each desicion I will do all the research and find the right deal for me along with the right look I want.

So, if anyone has ideas and weblinks to cool parts and good pricing and all that, suggestions or just feed back, I'd love to hear it. I hope everyone sees this thread as a open garage where you can feel free to come in and contribute. I hope this thread will be around for a long time, because as much I like the help, offered opinions, and direction, I also hope it's helping you see the process and answer questions you may have.

So, again, thanks to everyone for making this thread, and the LOC a great place to talk about our rides. B)

Smooth, I comend you on your contributions and information :cheers: You are a stellar member here@ LOC. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Dinner is on me ;)

OOOOOOOOOOooooooo i wanna do this... but blue..... hard???????? oooooo yes blue..... i want i want... i was just talking yesterday about how the dash colors are !Removed!.... yes i'm so doing this.... well after you tell me how of course ;) lol

Fabulous job B) :cheers:

4) rear window hood

5) debadge the car.

6) darker tint ( Maybe)

Smooth, I comend you on your contributions and information :cheers: You are a stellar member here@ LOC.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dinner is on me ;)

If your cookin, I'm there!!!!!!!!