Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Yeah, that's cool. A twin turbo compact truck!! :) And they only want $5500.00 for it? I see it has 200000 miles on it? But not the new GTE I'm sure.

And they said they are coming out with some GTE conversion kits??? Hmm, I was thinking about going in that direction, but was opting to just build a 2JZGE motor on the bench and so a swap next year. But I want a 2JZGTE if I can figure out how to solve all the issues alot of others get into.

Well, I went to the Orlando car meet at Waterford Lakes on Tuesday night, and Dayum!!! There were atleast 200 cars there and everyone was saying that it was an off night because of the holidays!!! everyone I talked to said sometimes you can't find a parking spot. they hold it in front of Staples and Sports Authority along with some other stores in a strip mall, so you can imagine the size of the parking lot !!!! It starts at about 9:30 and really gets rolling around 10. Alot of nice cars there. Here are some of the pics.

post-42851-1198170360_thumb.jpg post-42851-1198170488_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1198170550_thumb.jpg post-42851-1198170621_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1198170689_thumb.jpg post-42851-1198170747_thumb.jpg

I work on cars......me no photographer!!!! Sorry. I'll try to get it better next time. It was at night, and it was cold, so a little shaky, and under exposed.

Smooth1,

I drifted over to the IS300 forum today and read through your saga. I gotta say I am totally inspired by your build and your continued progress. I am hoping that the aftermarket will make similar power adders for the IS250 & IS350 one day. My brother-in-law has a 2002 IS300. I am toying with the idea of buying his car and turning it into a performance project. This would save my IS250 AWD from the trial and error process. It is just a day dream for now though.

I myself am all about the underdog story. There is nothing cooler then the pony out running the horse.

When are you gonna install the roll-cage, parachute and fire extinguisher? :lol:

Regards,

Smooth1,

I drifted over to the IS300 forum today and read through your saga. I gotta say I am totally inspired by your build and your continued progress. I am hoping that the aftermarket will make similar power adders for the IS250 & IS350 one day. My brother-in-law has a 2002 IS300. I am toying with the idea of buying his car and turning it into a performance project. This would save my IS250 AWD from the trial and error process. It is just a day dream for now though.

I myself am all about the underdog story. There is nothing cooler then the pony out running the horse.

When are you gonna install the roll-cage, parachute and fire extinguisher? :lol:

Regards,

Thanks. Posts like your is why I put this thread together in the first place.

I'm sure as the market demand increases they will start to offer a better selection for the newer models, but as I have found thru many other builds, it's a much better choice to choose an older platform first, or one that has been around for awhile and has enouph aftermarket support. Then go from there. Iv'e known about the 2JZGE motor and the 2JZGTE Supra platforms. IMHO, It's one of the best "import" build platforms out there. Honda's have huge aftermarkets, but you still end up with zip gun for hp. Nissan is getting much better. And the European cars are limited and expensive at the same time. I come from Ford school, so I'm tired of the Mustang crowd same-o same-o. I wanted a really nice car, which the American cars are not, and turn it into a street fighter. So, now that I am here, I can honestly say that this car is the best build, and best platform of all the cars I have built in the past by far!!!!! So, yeah, I'm havin alot of fun.

LMAO!!!

I am working on buying a new block, head, tranny and rearend. I plan on building the motor from the ground up, all forged and bomb proof. Then do a full swap. When I do that, I will be planning on going over 800 hp. And still be able to get the groceries in it. Of course, if I go to the track with that, I'm sure they'll tech me right away. But maybe I can still sneak atleast 1 run and get a good time slip first. LOL!!!!

I am working on buying a new block, head, tranny and rearend. I plan on building the motor from the ground up, all forged and bomb proof. Then do a full swap. When I do that, I will be planning on going over 800 hp. And still be able to get the groceries in it. Of course, if I go to the track with that, I'm sure they'll tech me right away. But maybe I can still sneak atleast 1 run and get a good time slip first. LOL!!!!

Are you planning to stay with an automatic transmission? I am just wondering what your preference is now that you have been-there and done-that. My brother-in-law's is an automatic so I am wondering if it would be better to look for a manual transmission car from the get-go. To be honest, I would be doing this type of work in my home garage without the lifts etc... So engine and tranny swaps are a bit out of my league for the foreseeable future. I guess either powertrain will need to be upgraded when the HP is doubled or more. Maybe it is just personal preference.

Regards,

It all depends on what your hp goals are. If your staying under 350 hp, then the manual is ok, but you'll still need to do a clutch upgrade. The W55 is actually the weakest tranny, and of course that is the stock manual tranny in the IS. If you wanna go over 350 hp, and you want to be manual, then you can get away with the R154, which should be good to about 600 hp. Anything over that and you have to go with the Getrag V160 or V161. Those are the Supra trannies and can hold well over 1000 hp. As for the auto, if you have the tranny redone by by some of the race shops or specialty tranny shops, it can be made to hold up to around 600 hp. I'm just over 400 at the rear wheels now, and to be honest, I think I'm sitting under the threshold of what the tranny can really hold. I'm boosting the line pressure in it later, so I should get snappier shifts. I like the auto better than manual for turbo. You don't have to respool everytime you shift with the auto, so you are actually much faster than a manual tranny. On the other hand, you have a bit more control and it's fun to drive a manual. It is one of the great debates and controversies of this platform. That's why I boosted to the limit of the current setup. Then I can take the big leap and land where I want to when I do the monster build.

Well, here is what I am considering now.

I think I wanna get a 2JZGTE block, and build a new motor over the next year. I'm thinking Carrillo rods, Wiseco Pistons, ARP bolts,Skunk2 titanium retainers and valves, Crower cam, Fidenza cam gears,HKS competition head gasket, AMS intake manifold, and of course all the blah blah blahs that go with it. Then I was looking into going with a slightly larger turbo set up.

Big price tag though. I'll be making phone calls after the first of the year and talking to my suppliers to see how much it will all really total. And then start ordering the parts. Don't forget, I will need a Getrag V160 and all that goes with that as well.

I will be continuing doing appearance mods to the 300 now and along the way, but pretty much after the 1st of the year will begin the final build stage in getting to My Dream Ride. My ending HP goals will be somewhere around 800+ hp. And still be completely streetable and daily drivable with all the bells and whistles. Oh yeah.....049.gif

I think I wanna get a 2JZGTE block, and build a new motor over the next year. I'm thinking Carrillo rods, Wiseco Pistons, ARP bolts,Skunk2 titanium retainers and valves, Crower cam, Fidenza cam gears,HKS competition head gasket, AMS intake manifold, and of course all the blah blah blahs that go with it. Then I was looking into going with a slightly larger turbo set up.

Big price tag though. I'll be making phone calls after the first of the year and talking to my suppliers to see how much it will all really total. And then start ordering the parts. Don't forget, I will need a Getrag V160 and all that goes with that as well.

I will be continuing doing appearance mods to the 300 now and along the way, but pretty much after the 1st of the year will begin the final build stage in getting to My Dream Ride. My ending HP goals will be somewhere around 800+ hp. And still be completely streetable and daily drivable with all the bells and whistles. Oh yeah.....049.gif

Smooth1, that is totally cool.

Does anyone have any pictures of IS300's pulling the front wheel when launching? It's a short wheel base car from what I can tell. Some boots and trans brake and that thing is 'leaving on the bumper'! (At least until the half-shafts fall out.)

Just is little holiday cheer. You are going to spend a lot of money and single-handedly keep the American economy out of a recession. Thank you.

Smooth, You are building the ultimate street monster on the planet..... WOW!!! Can I send you some steaks to keep the energy up to levitate this project ? :cheers: B)

LOL!! guys...

Well, I'm gonna need wider rear rims that's for sure. I have a guy that rolls fenders, and we were looking at my car, I think that is gonna be hot!!! One step at a time.

The GTE blocks are retail around 2K. I think I can get one for under 1500 though. I have to wait until the holidays are over. So maybe middle of January I'll start getting real numbers and placing orders.

howdy everyone.

I am new to the forum and new to my 01 IS 300. Bought it a month ago and am loving it.

I went shopping for a new Corolla and came home with a seven year old Lexus for the same price. It was the sunroof and leather seats that sold me, honest. And oh yeah I took it for a test drive.

Kudos Smooth1, you have answered so many questions with your posts and pic's. I really appreciate the feedback and links that the regular contributors have added.

I have a couple of queries which haven't been addressed:

The first involves the shift buttons, I find the wheel mounted buttons awkward to use and so stay mostly in full automatic mode, which here in British Columbia is a shame, this being the land of the twisty coastal mountain road. I would like to add switches to the shift lever. has anybody been there and done that? are kits available...I wouldn't know what to search for.

The second is regarding suspension and wheel/tires and bodykits. ( It sounds like you are getting to this Smooth1)

I want to look at these as an all at once mod combo. My reasoning is that these all must work together and I don't want either a ride that scrubs it's shoes or a widebody that looks like a clown shoe roller skate. (OK it's an IS, it's not going to look like a clown shoe but you get my point I hope!) Being rear drive the back end is not much of a problem I can fit wideass shoes on ( even offset if I need to ) and either roll the fenders or slap on widebody parts or flares of some type. It is the front end that I am wondering about. I am not interested in spacers or offset wheels due to the geometry snafu's so would a (could a?) guy replace the A arms and steering links to achieve a wider stance? I am not talking huge width here, it is just a look that I have in mind. I really want to accentuate the lines of the car without giving it the I had to pop rivet these flares on to meet the road laws look. (a buddy way back in highschool had a Celica with flares that really flowed with the body and made the car look lower than low.)

I am planning my build in an opposite direction from you Smooth1. I figure handling and looks first and go fast later....This way when I hear an explosion from Florida I can learn from your experience in the go fast department.

I am sure glad to have found this post keep up the good work.