Ls460 Vs Azera

denslexusgx470

I just saw a commercial of the Azera and LS460 being compared. I just think that Hyundai had a hard time comparing the two. At first I thought it was an insult to compare the two, like apples and oranges, but then I realized that they can't beat the quality and luxury standards of a Lexus.

They couldn't compete against the self-park, so they added the valet parking in the end. Then again, as much as possible, I try to avoid valet parking even if it means I will walk a mile away! lol. :D :D

i agree, its insulting to lexus, and the other brands that Hyundai is starting to attack. here are the video uploads on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yAvGwWAPwX8

personally, i dont know how they can show that ugly car next to the Lexus

here are the other ones against bmw, land rover

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zw6Lmq3brjI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7u0DCw044

I've seen these ads too, and I just shake my head. I'm sorry, Hyundai might be upping their game, but for them to think that they can compete with Lexus, is foolish. MB, BMW, Jag, Bently, etc.... yes. Hyundai? Oh hell no!!

Wow, yall take things too literally (The new Chevy duramax can pull a train, btw!). LOL Of course an Azera will never compete with the LS460, it is not meant to. If they would have put it next to an Avalon, it would have just been another boring commercial. Much the same, the Sonata will never drive like a BMW 530i. They made a couple outlandish commercials to create a buzz, and obviously it is working because we are sitting here discussing it (other forums are doing the same too.). It is a great marketing plan and nothing else.

I think they should be plugging away at some sort of exciting event where customers can see and experience the cars outside of a dealer setting. Most people have a bad image of Hyundai, but experiencing the car first hand would put all of that to rest since they are teriffic looking and driving cars at a great price with an excellent warranty to top the whole deal off.

I will never buy a hyundia...or kia...or that new chinese one.

Why try something new, when the Japanese have perfected it already? :D

Never is a long time...................Back in '79 one of the guys I hung out with in high school caught flack all the time because his parents had not one, but two Honda Civics. (He bought a '66 Mustang to redeem himself.)

Toyota Cressidas and Corollas were laughed at and despised in the 70's/80's just like the Hyundai Excels and Sonatas of the 80's/90's. If Hyundai improves as they have over the past 20 years, then their 2017 model year line will run right alongside.

I saw that ad too and I thought it was a great ad, I actually got a kick out of it. They know they aren't going to get any LS460 customers, what they're trying to do is get their name and the name Lexus in the same sentance in a consumer's mind. While it won't work on someone with the warewithal to buy an LS460, it might work for someone looking to upgrade from a Camry to an ES...

I thought it was a great ad.

Have any of you sat in or driven the Azera? Its a great car. Its not a Lexus, but then again it doesn't cost what a Lexus costs either and the quality, fit and finish, and materials are all super nice for its price point. I might even say I like it inside better than an ES350...

The dash of the ES350 is ugly and cheap looking too IMHO...

I personally like the rear lights and the trunklid. Styling is subjective, no doubting that. have you ever sat in or driven one? I have a neighbor that has one and its really nice. Remember, its only $29,000 FULLY LOADED which includes equipment the ES350 doesn't even have for $12,000 MORE. Whe you compare it to a Camry or an Avalon where the prestige factor isn't in play, its so much more car its not even funny. I would buy an Azera in a heartbeat over a Camry.

The one thing thats sorely lacking is a navigation system...

strictly out of comparison sake, what features does it have that a camry doesnt?

a top of the line camry XLE with Heated Front Seats (Requires Leather), Smart Key System[10], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) w/ Traction Control (TRAC)[3], Voice-Activated DVD Navigation System[19] w/JBL® AM/FM 4-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/Satellite Radio Capability[17], MP3/WMA Playback Capability, Aux Audio Jack, Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth®[18] Wireless Technology, 8 Speakers in 6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception

comes out to $31,380, and thats the v6 model with 268 hp

a top of the line Hyundai Azera Limited has

- Power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof with sliding sunshade

- Premium Infinity audio system with in-dash 6-disc CD changer, 10 speakers including subwoofer and 315-watt digital amplifier

- Power adjustable tilt & telescopic steering column

- Power adjustable foot pedals

- Integrated Memory System: Power driver seat, side mirrors and power steering column

- Power folding side mirrors with turn signal indicators

- Rain-sensing wipers

for $29,685 but without nav, bluetooth, smart key.

so yes, i guess for 2 grand cheaper, it is a better deal. but i would have never dreamed i would be driving a hyundai

but whats the deal with this!! :chairshot:

post-18355-1177282744_thumb.jpg

personally, i think the toyota dash is much more simple/elegant and much more pleasing on the eyes

post-18355-1177282865_thumb.jpg

strictly out of comparison sake, what features does it have that a camry doesnt?
There are a lot of things....led tail lights, second row side air bags, rain sensing wipers (deicing feature), active head restraints, power folding mirrors with turn signals, power rear sunshade, power adjustable pedals, power tilt/tele steering wheel, a much better warranty, and I'm sure there are more that I over looked.

I think is a very nice looking dash.It's much more grown up looking than the Camry's dash.

asset_upload_file818_15269.jpg

Blake listed it, the Azera has features the ES350 doesn't even have, or the GS for that matter.

again, RX, you still haven't answered me as to whether or not you've sat in or driven the two cars. I have. The Camry's interior is nowhere as nice as the interior on the Azera. Its cold and plasticky and has that silly blue lighting on the dash. The Azera's interior is actually quite Lexus-like.

I agree, if Hyundai decides to roll out a true luxury brand like Lexus and they can price them to present a value like Lexus did back in 1989? Look out Lexus.

never driven either, but ive sat in the camry. have not been in the hyundai.

i just cant stand that layout. I dont like the emergency stop round button, nor the hole on the other (i think its a microphone, but no bluetooth so dont know what it is). cant stand the air vents, nor the controls.

and again, i dont like the rear take lights, nor the wheel arch bulges for the rear wheels.

You can't compare the cars unless you've tried them out. Honestly though, I think your main problem with the car is that its a Hyundai. Nobody would call the new Camry pretty, and the Azera has a pleasing flowing shape much like the Toyota Camrys, Cressidas, and Avalons of old. Their line seems very mid 90's Toyota in styling to me, which I think is more attractive than styling at Toyota today.

Pretending Lexus is infallable does no good for anybody. When Lexus first came out in 1989 Mercedes and BMW said "No way this company will ever be a threat to us, its just a Toyota". in 9 years Lexus grew to be #1 in US luxury sales, outselling BMW and Mercedes handilly. The Koreans are SERIOUS about selling cars in the US, and they are building an excellent product with an excellent warranty and they are fast overcoming the stigma associated with driving a Hyundai. Lexus is in a situation where they're getting bloated, starting to have some roll-out quality foibles for the first time ever, and are starting to slip in areas associated with customer service. They still make great cars, but they are no longer as far superior to the competition as they were way back when, in small part because they've started to scale back on the over-engineering and rest on their laurels a little bit but mainly because the competition has gotten a lot better. BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac have all stepped up their game in the quality department. Acura and Infiniti are starting to come out of their shadow a little bit with successful vehicles like the MDX, TL, M35/M45, G35, FX35/45. Believe me, the auto business is rough. They are not safe. If Hyundai can roll out a luxury marque with excellent service and deliver the Lexus quality experience for 15% less, they WILL take business from Lexus.

NEVER discount a hungry competitor and these guys are hungry.

sure, i agree that part of the problem here is that i dont like hyuandai's period. however, i like the way the camry looks way better than the azera, i honestly do. However, in order to be a luxury car, it has to be some what appealing and that dash just isnt. i agree it is a competitor, i agree that its gaining some status, but so far, it doesnt look like a luxury car. "a nice dress on an ugly girl still comes out to an ugly girl".

i would take the camry any day over this.

p.s. the only feature i see that is not available on the ES is the folding mirrors and the pedals.

Hyundai just needs a luxury daughter brand.

I agree 100%

Back in 89 when i purchased my first LS400, i thought i was taking a risk... At that time, toyota wasn't exactly known for being very "cool" or reliable... I sat in the LS & felt i'd give it a try though! Look how it turned out!

The Azera is an amazing car. I have been in them, & even driven one. It honestly feels just like a Lexus... The quality is very similar to Lexus and the fit & finish is basically the same (i can't tell). There are many similarities b/t the azera and the camry & ES. I guarantee you, the engineers designing & crafting the azera had a camry & or ES in their presence...

But... it's a "hundai". If they came out with a new name & gave it time to become their "lexus of toyota" they would have a better shot...

I would still take it over the camry too... Not an LS though...

SW03ES nailed this subject. Lexus quality and service has been gradually slipping while other hungrier manufacturers are drastically improving their products in amazingly short periods of time. Sooner or later, RX330driver will be forced to remove his blinders and open his mind....

I think time will tell this tale. I've always wondered if a car is sooo good, then why does it need such a long warranty, but that's just my theory. Name branding aside, I actully like the Camry way more than the Azera in terms of styling and interior. I think the Camry looks fresh, unique and modern on the inside, I especially like the blue lighting myself. I think in a world of standard dash arrangements, the Camry's is a deal maker, but I also understand where some could see it as a deal breaker too. I think the Azera looks like a Buick, with zero flare and aggresiveness, as where the Camry looks swift and sporty. Todays Camry has something that dare I say a Camry has, which is "uniqiness". Gawd, never thought the words uniqiness and Camry would go together. But then again, it's just a matter of time before there is a Camry on every street corner, and in every driveway, but there is a reason for that too. Toyota just took GM's spot to now be #1. Like I've said before, #1 isn't exactly the best spot to be in. You might as well paint the bullseye on your back, because you're now target #1.

The Korean's have done one thing that I like, and that is make all other automakers take notice! The options these Korean cars come with at such a low price break has the other's manufactors starting to do the same. Point in case, my wife's new Mazda 3. Thing has more options on it than many upper luxury cars. Rain sensing windshield wipers, power leveling HID's, traction control, heated seats, 6 disc in dash, volume sensing Bose stereo, auto climate control, 8 air bags, trip-tronic tranny, sat radio, i-pod connectivity, tire pressure monitoring, and more... for the high teen$ to entry level $20's. The salesman told me that Mazda & Ford are trying to answer the Korean's with the options list.

But, the test for the Azera is how it holds up over 50,000 miles of normal driving. I would love to see a long term test comparison of the Azera. But if you ask me, Toyota still wins in terms of styling. Azera looks like a knocked-off Buick. I think it's just a matter of time before Hyundai is in upper leagues, and I understand the ad's end-target to just get Hyundai and Lexus/BMW/MB etc... mentioned in the same sentence. It's a good idea, as long as the market accepts it, and doesn't just laugh at it and say "what are those idiots doing? That's like comparing a Yugo to a VW GTI?".

Just depends on time.... and I think time is definetly on Hyundai's side!!

In twenty years all cars will be made in China, their goal is to employ their people, the auto industry is next. In our world the auto makers will sell out to the cheapest labor.....

Pretending Lexus is infallable does no good for anybody. When Lexus first came out in 1989 Mercedes and BMW said "No way this company will ever be a threat to us, its just a Toyota". in 9 years Lexus grew to be #1 in US luxury sales, outselling BMW and Mercedes handilly. The Koreans are SERIOUS about selling cars in the US, and they are building an excellent product with an excellent warranty and they are fast overcoming the stigma associated with driving a Hyundai. Lexus is in a situation where they're getting bloated, starting to have some roll-out quality foibles for the first time ever, and are starting to slip in areas associated with customer service. They still make great cars, but they are no longer as far superior to the competition as they were way back when, in small part because they've started to scale back on the over-engineering and rest on their laurels a little bit but mainly because the competition has gotten a lot better. BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac have all stepped up their game in the quality department. Acura and Infiniti are starting to come out of their shadow a little bit with successful vehicles like the MDX, TL, M35/M45, G35, FX35/45. Believe me, the auto business is rough. They are not safe. If Hyundai can roll out a luxury marque with excellent service and deliver the Lexus quality experience for 15% less, they WILL take business from Lexus.
Very well said, Steve! ;) Lexus is definitely kicking back and relaxing while everyone else is stepping up their game. Never ever have we heard the word "buyback" in the same sentence as Lexus until the ES350 came out. If Lexus's No.1, diehard fan, Consumer Reports, bumped them from the top, they've got some issues to address. LOL

I've always wondered if a car is sooo good, then why does it need such a long warranty, but that's just my theory.
It's to get skeptical people in to look at the cars....more smart marketing from Hyundai. Warranty length is in no way indicative of quality...

sure, i agree that part of the problem here is that i dont like hyuandai's period. however, i like the way the camry looks way better than the azera, i honestly do. However, in order to be a luxury car, it has to be some what appealing and that dash just isnt. i agree it is a competitor, i agree that its gaining some status, but so far, it doesnt look like a luxury car. "a nice dress on an ugly girl still comes out to an ugly girl".

i would take the camry any day over this.

p.s. the only feature i see that is not available on the ES is the folding mirrors and the pedals.

Well, your past posts have shown you to be obsessed with brand so that doesn't surprise me.

As far as folding mirors and pedals being the only thing it doesn't have that the ES does...Its also $15,000 less!

And its not a luxury car, its meant to be a competitor to the Avalon (its bigger than the Camry, the Sonata competes with the Camry and its a lot of car too). When they do come out with a luxury car though, just wait and see. again, how can you say what you'd buy when you've never even sat in one of these cars. Best not to offer an opinion at all because you have no experience to base this opinion on. The only reason you won't buy it is because its a Hyundai, and thats silly.

I love Lexus too, but to be honest I'd like to see them get beat up a little bit by somebody to make them realize they have to keep up what they started. Competition is good for the consumer. Honestly today, the only Lexus I would buy is the LS460. In the entry luxury market I don't know what I would buy, in the mid luxury market I'd be in a BMW 5 or an Infiniti M, in a coupe/convertible I'd be looking at a BMW 6 series, in an SUV I'd be in an Acura MDX or an X5. I just don't like their new design mentality with their interiors or the costs they've cut in interior material quality. I think the only car in the lineup now that really appeals to me is the LS460.

I also get info from Infiniti every day about the M35/45. These guys want to sell me a car, its tempting.