What Other Vehicles Do You Have?

Suburbazine

The "Command" seems to be very straightforward and simpler than the idrive nightmare. No night vision and no heated rear seats as in the LS. I believe it to be a rear passenger option although there are rear popdown vanities.The suspension feels more subtle and has an uncanny ability to handle a rough section of road over the older LS. I have not driven the car in sport mode. He did have a pull to the right problem caused by a brake piston malfunction which was taken care of. Call in number three on a car with less than 3,000 miles. The steering is looser than the LS, which I find interesting. The ride, set to comfort, appears smoother than the LS but no quieter. The seats and headroom are defintely more comfortable as the LS has never adjusted for bigger framed people and I find that hard to fathom for a Luxo auto, as Lexus needs to take a serious look at their accomodations for us larger framed guys. There are a million buttons on this Mercedes and all programmable by the owner as opposed to Lexus where you have to "take it in" for the Dealer to alter. Keep in mind I have an 02 and do not know how that has changed. Another interesting point is that the Mercedes "hides" their buttons in places all over the cabin as to be inconspicuos but Lexus seems to put them in your face more as a show whereas Mercedes is more subtle. At night the Mercedes shines. Really cool lighting and then you see all the buttons. Dash, what can I say...Very cool!!! 02 Lexus is gaudy and one of my biggest complaints..whereas the Mercedes is low key but elegant and easier on the eyes. There it is so far guys...It's been taken back 3 times for minor problems and my LS only goes in for maintenance..overall, the Mercedes is more refined and has that "Class" and the Lexus is a safe bet for reliability. Will keep you posted.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geez this conversation has definitely taken a different route. no longer in topic. lol. since I havent posted in this one, I'll do it.

Other cars:

Well it's on my sig, but here they are:

1997 Honda Odyssey

2006 Toyota 4Runner

Philippine cars:

1995 Mitsubishi Strada (aka Mitsubishi Mighty Max in the USA)

1997 Honda CRV (my baby, only 10k km)

1966 VW Beetle (yes like I said in the other thread, cuz it was my grandma's "workhorse" back when she was working, nice car to restore and fix up as a hobby)

Sorry Den I'll opt out....I was wrong.

No it's ok. I was just sayin, that people tend to just sidetrack topics in threads, and it's perfectly ok as long as everyone's in peace and harmony and there's no fighting or hate. ;) I sidetrack too a lot on other threads. :whistles:

The seats and headroom are defintely more comfortable as the LS has never adjusted for bigger framed people and I find that hard to fathom for a Luxo auto, as Lexus needs to take a serious look at their accomodations for us larger framed guys.
I find it shocking too. Steel is cheap. It would not cost them that much to extend the seat rails 5" or 6" like they are in MBs, BMWs, VWs, etc. It would be a good investment for Lexus because it would steal the tall drivers away from the German and American car makers. Or if they are that cheap, make it a factory option or an accessory from the dealer. Oh well. Maybe one day they will learn. Ralph, we need to have another powwow so you can show this car to me!! :D :lol: Does that S class have distronic plus? I think that's one of the best festures of the car!

Excellent point about the seat rails, blake 918. As nice a vehicle as the LS series is, I have no legroom or headroom in it. If I wanted a nice sedan, I couldn't even put the LS on my search list.

At 6-foot-7, that's one of the many reasons I drive a full-size Ram pickup as my primary vehicle. I have all the legroom and headroom I need....

At 6-foot-7

well sure, they could spend the money to make larger cars for us. but honestly, from their standpoint, is it worth it to spend all the engineering needed to get a few more customers? not that many people are that tall, so hats off to you guys.

i mean, they would have to sacrifice the smooth shape of the car, and i think that goes against the L-finesse design language, and thats a big no-no to lexus

Excellent point about the seat rails, blake 918. As nice a vehicle as the LS series is, I have no legroom or headroom in it. If I wanted a nice sedan, I couldn't even put the LS on my search list.

At 6-foot-7, that's one of the many reasons I drive a full-size Ram pickup as my primary vehicle. I have all the legroom and headroom I need....

Yeah, the LS400s are pretty small on the driver's space. The LS430 has better headroom because its a much taller car than the 400, but the legroom still isn't that great. At least my LS400 has served me wonderfully from a reliability standpoint (I've put 65,000 miles on the car in 3 years with no real problems to speak of.), but next time, I will certainly pay more attention to the driver's seat adjustments, even if that means driving something less "appealing" than a Lexus like a Buick Lucerne (I'm 6'4, and that has to be one of the most comfortable sub$25k cars I've looked at.) or Town Car. Is your new RX any more comfortable than the one it replaced?

I find that the domestic trucks (I'd never consider Nissan or Toyota for a truck.) really have excellent headroom, but the legroom is not so great. Of all the new trucks out there, I would have to agree that the Ram HDs are probbaly the most spacious which is unfortunate because I love Fords! :D

Blake

well sure, they could spend the money to make larger cars for us. but honestly, from their standpoint, is it worth it to spend all the engineering needed to get a few more customers? not that many people are that tall, so hats off to you guys.

i mean, they would have to sacrifice the smooth shape of the car, and i think that goes against the L-finesse design language, and thats a big no-no to lexus

We are not asking them to reinvent the wheel here. Making a seat track that is 6" longer than the one that is already in the car is not rocket science. Extending the seat tracks would have absolutely no effect on the exterior of the car.

You are right about one thing, the numbers are not in RX's or my favor (which is why I suggested making the longer tracks an option or accessory.), so I guess our vehicle options will continue to be limited unless you want to do serious modifications to the vehicle which I'm not crazy about doing.

most of that "ruinning the shape" of the car is about the headroom. it would have to be more boxy.
The car wouldn't have to necessarily be boxy. It has a lot to do with how and where the seat is mounted in the car. Look at how the seat in the ES350 is mounted. The way the seat is mounted robs the car of headroom because it is mounted on a hill on the front end and jacked up on the back side. If they would mount the directly to the floor and further back, it could be a very comfortable car.

post-1461-1172185243_thumb.jpg

blake918,

To answer your question, my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD has slightly more headroom and about the same legroom as her 2000 RX300 AWD did. My limit in driving that vehicle is about one hour and I refuse to ride in it. If I have to be in it, I'm going to drive. After an hour or so, I'm ready to crawl out of it and blast it with a bazooka....

But seriously, her RX330 drives and rides much more comfortably than her RX300 did. The transmission shifts are smoother as well. The RX330 is unquestionably a better vehicle. I'll never learn to like it, but I'm trying hard to learn to accept it....

Wow, the RX300 must not have had a suspension of any sort then :lol: I've personally found the 330 to have a very rocky ride. I need a kidney belt sometimes.

A few weeks ago I just took my mom up to Columbus MS, a 6 hour drive up, and then back the long way through AL. I was in that RX for 13 hours in one day. It's most definitely not a vehicle for big folks (I'm 6'7") and I'll echo Rx in NC's statement about wanting to blast it with a bazooka after an hour. I wasn't able to walk right the day after, I've never gotten foot blisters from driving a car before :lol:

As a city vehicle, it's excellent because of its zippiness and maneuverability and compact size. It's also easy on the fuel, a plus cause it is a premium only engine :lol:

Oh, didn't know that. Both the dealer (heck they told us before they sold it to us) and the sticker says premium only, so that's what's been used. I'll try lower octane next time, but it's only 2 dollars difference in filling the tank (please don't burn me for that :lol:).

lol i totally agree with you, i only use premium as well...just because "if it costs more, it must be better" lawl ;) i wasnt trying to make you change your mind in changing to a lower octane. im just pointing out that you dont need to use it.

i use premium in my Sienna van as well!

Blake, you are certainly invited to seat yourself in a S550 and we can take notes..Let me know and we will hook up my friend. I think you will be impressed. Still Love the Lexus as it took us back and forth to New Orleans yesterday..no problems...front and rear radar sensor/jammer ..2 hours home in the Lexus...lol... You will like the Merc. though , If you are looking for lots of room and lots of toys.

sorry ta "hijack the hijack" (altho the info on the Benz is interesting) -

but, back to the ORIGINAL topic of this thread -:whistles:

I buy/sell/swap/barter/etc... cars as a hobby -

usually older ones that need a lil work done -

I fix'em'n'flip'em -

this week I have:

'90 Lexus LS 400

'86 Lamborghini Jalpa

'84 Porsche 928

'83 " "

'79 " "

'87 " 944

'84 " "

'86 " 924

'02 Toyota Corrolla

'91 Chevy S-10

'86 Ford F-150

'8? Pontiac Fiero

'86 Mercedes 300

this month I bought the LS400 -

last month I bought 3 Porsche 944's & traded one off for mechanic work -

the Corrola is a "flipper" -

but my daughter is driving it (wrecked the other Corrolla she got from me last summer) -

I'm gonna KEEP (??current palns anyway??) the Lexus as the family/bizness/long travel car. the Lambo, one Porsche 928 (sporty travel car), one P-944 (cheap sporty daily - 4 cyl.), & one truck (not sure which) - maybe the Fiero as it IS a fun lil scoot car.

some of the "extra's" will be cash sales - some will be "barters" for paint jobs/etc... - some will probably traded for OTHER cars that will be ???

my fiancee' has a FourRunner & wants a VW Karmann-Ghia(sp?) -

you'd think my yard looks like a CAR LOT - and it has at times - but between keeping a few w/FOR SALE signs here at work, a few at various mechanic's house's, etc... - it really doesn't look too bad :blink:

anyway -

everytime I say I'm gonna get rid of something and do get the numbers down, I'll run across some "deals" and...

~T~

Well RF piqued my curiosity and I went and drove the S550 today, first time I've driven an S class since 2001.

Wow, what a car! The styling has grown on me a lot, and after spending some time in one today I can even say the interior has grown on me too. The material quality and the leather quality are outstanding, and talk about passenger room! Boy my customers and coworkers would love to ride around in one of those lol. The layout is still a little weird, but its functional.

The one I drove had the "launch" package and a designo package. It was a grey/green color (kinda like flint mica) and it had a really cool two tone black/cream interior. Everything was black (including the pillars and headliner) except the seats and door inserts. Great way to have a cream interior with no dirty cream carpeting etc.

I've not driven an LS460 (since I want one so badly I've decided test driving one is NOT a good idea lol) but the S550 is quite a car. Of course, at a sticker price of $99,800 it should be. A similarly equipped LS460L would be something like $81k, so at a $18k premium I dunno. Although, when you get into that much car how much difference does the 18k make? I asked them to quote me a lease off 700+ credit, $0 down, and 20k miles per year and they said $1575 a month which isn't bad. About $250 more than a similar LS460L. For me since I wouldn't get an "L" the difference would be more like $28k. :blink:

They actually have kind of a cool balloon finance deal where you put $10k down, make 60 payments of $850 and then one final payment of $36,500. I'd have to run the numbers on that and make sure you wouldn't be upside down (gap insurance would be a must), but from a cashflow perspective thats pretty cool.