Thinking Of Going From Ls To Is

falciott

So I have seriously been considering selling my 1990 LS for a new IS250. With the increasingly high gas prices, it starts to make sense to get a more efficient car, but I still want it to be a Lexus. I got my LS about a year ago or so from this retired doctor who hardly drove it,with 37K original miles on it, checked car fax and all, and the car was in immaculate conditions then. Now it has 49K, and i've brought to showroom conditions all the little bugs associated with this year model, such as ac lcd display, CD changer, cleaned solenoid, flushed and replaced all fluids with synthetic,added reverse sensors, bluetooth system, homelink, and other various things, so now the car is pretty much as in new condition and better.The high bluebook says around $7 K, But i think it's worth more then that, what do u guys think? In no rush to put it up for sale yet, thinking about waiting till the end of the year for some sweet deal on those '06 IS's, but I figured I'd get started on my homework :cheers:

Honestly, I think you'll regret this decision. Nothing better than a $0 car payment, especially when you only have 49k miles on a Lexus LS400. I've thought about this too, several times, for the IS300. I really love those cars, and it's growing, especially the autocross model "wagon". But everytime I drive one for a few miles, I always LOVE getting back into the LS400.

With the increasingly high gas prices, it starts to make sense to get a more efficient car, but I still want it to be a Lexus.
We need to petition Lexus to get the amazing little IS220d here in the USA. That would be the ultimate-a stylish, diesel powered Lexus that gets get fuel mileage. B) Here's a neat little video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Uwz_pQWlA

Basically you're wanting to save money by spending a lot more money. Think about it. There is no way that you would come out saving any money by doing this. I agree with post #2 completely. Unless your car is falling apart around you keep the LS.

Scott

Basically you're wanting to save money by spending a lot more money. Think about it. There is no way that you would come out saving any money by doing this. I agree with post #2 completely. Unless your car is falling apart around you keep the LS.

Scott

i agree with this statement completely

Scott

i agree with this statement completely

I second that! Keep the LS!

Wow, good thing I wasn't looking for moral support on my decision to sell the LS, cause with all the thumbs down, I would have been suicidal by now :unsure: , ok.. maybe that's pushing it, but yes, you guys have a good point on not really saving money on getting a new car, but i was looking at this as a long term plan. I figured after a few hundred thousand miles, it would have finally balanced out. So maybe this point is not exactly helping my case, but I just like those little suckers! :whistles: I figured my wife and I don;t really need that big of a car after all, so i was looking for an excuse maybe. Anyway, after spending all those weekends of doing work on it, by adding evrything i could add, I would be feeling nostalgic letting the car go. Nc might be right on regretting my decision afterwards, but I am one of those.. whats the name?! "impulsive" shoppers when it comes to cars and electronics. First I buy , then I feel my wifes' wrath later.Anyways guys, thanx for the input... I might keep that bad boy after all, unless.. I see sale signs at Lexus!!! :whistles:

DONT DO IT!!!

Man you have a paid off car with minimal taxes, insurance and no car payment. Okay so gas costs 30 cents more for premium. SO each time you fill up you spend an extra $5 to $6 bucks. For the ride, extra leg room, comfort and knowling that your car will drive to 200k with basic care is priceless.

If you do get the new IS prepare to pay an extra $300 for car payment, $100 for insurance and $100 taxes monthly. So thats an extra $500 bucks monthly. Also you gain less leg room and a downgrade from one of the best cars on the road... The king of the LEXUS fleet the LS400.

Also if a normal tank (20 gallons) in the LS costs up to $6 more for 400+ miles then thats $15 per thousand miles. Make that $10,000 miles and its $150 bucks... Make that 100,000 miles and you save $1500 bucks. Throw in the fact that you would get at least 30% better gas mileage (23 vs. 30mpg) and you get a savings of $1950 dollars for 100,000 miles. So after 7 years of driving and spending about $40,000 extra on payments, interest, insurance and taxes you lose $30,000.

Also if this LS only has 50k you dont drive much do you?

God bless and keep the LS

i dont think its a downgrade persay...you do get the extra toys that didnt exist in the 20th century. for that, i agree with the trade...of course im one of those people who sees a new thing and wants it. who's to say that the IS will not last to 200k. im pretty sure that your LS does not make it to 23mpg...considering its age, the horsepower as well as the gas milage has probably dropped...and theres nothing to compensate for that new car smell. Im for the switch if you have the green

Oh wait. The new car smell. XTRA MART for 2.99 a years worth of spray.

I would much rather have 30,000+ in the bank then get a new car. Also the new gadgets? If the AC/heat, cruise and radio work how much has really changed? Also leather 10 years ago is similar cows as today.

Also the IS is a toy. Nothing against the car since I have never driven one, but it is small. Probably fun, but small. Stick with the best LEXUS has to offer the LS!

Actually I do drive this car alot, I put in more then 10K in less then a year, it has low mileage because the previous owner hardly drove it. It's racking up miles fast with me. But I've dropped the idea of getting a new IS, I might wait a couple of years after it;s taken the most hit from depreciation, but I will be checking out a 98 SC300 tomorrow, the car has 38 K original miles, and he;s asking less then $12,000. If everything checks out ok, I might be switching to that one, less room for friends in the back, but it is a newer car and the price is pretty decent. We shall see how it goes tho, keeping my fingers crossed.

Actually I do drive this car alot, I put in more then 10K in less then a year, it has low mileage because the previous owner hardly drove it. It's racking up miles fast with me. But I've dropped the idea of getting a new IS, I might wait a couple of years after it;s taken the most hit from depreciation, but I will be checking out a 98 SC300 tomorrow, the car has 38 K original miles, and he;s asking less then $12,000. If everything checks out ok, I might be switching to that one, less room for friends in the back, but it is a newer car and the price is pretty decent. We shall see how it goes tho, keeping my fingers crossed.

the 98 sc is a newer car but it looks very similar to the older model sc's. By the way, u were wondering how much u could get for ur LS. I paid 11,500 for a 1995 ls400 with 68k miles on it in immaculate decision, hope that helps.

Ok, so I never got the SC300, some guy who saw it before I did, bought it. No hard feelings, that just tells me , that I am meant to keep my LS for alot longer. Which I dont; mind at all, I took a really good look at it today! That's a handsome car! If only I could figure out a way to bring the color of the paint to original look, after I remove those hideous chrome fender arches. Those things have darkened the paint underneath. Why did Lexus even offer those things, not exactly a good match on any color scheme.:chairshot:

A new IS would be an upgrade over the '90 LS in my opinion. It is a considerably smaller car so if you're a big guy then you may regret it, but based onthe mileage on your LS it seems like you don't spend much time inthe car.

I don't know about the car market in HI, but you would have a hard time getting $7k for your LS around here - even with the low miles.

based onthe mileage on your LS it seems like you don't spend much time inthe car.

"Actually I do drive this car alot, I put in more then 10K in less then a year, it has low mileage because the previous owner hardly drove it. It's racking up miles fast with me."-----falciott

You know what I would do? If you want to spend some money, why not invest in the car you own now? There are a lot of little things you can do to the LS400 to really make it stand out and look 'newer' than it is. Like JDM one piece headlights, clear bumper signals and red with clear center tail lights (like all the new cars, nobody seems to use orange anymore). And of course, 18 inch rims look fabulous on an LS400 and still allow room for rubber so you still have a nice smooth ride. Just by making those changes you will turn heads left and right!

I ask people to guess what year my LS is (93) and most people say 98 to 2000 (not lexus geeks of course). It still has looks that can compete with the current market in my opinion!

I don't know about the car market in HI, but you would have a hard time getting $7k for your LS around here - even with the low miles.

And I was thinking that bad boy might be worth at least $9 K, but when I think about it ,even for that money, I don't think I could replace it with anything comparable, even if I am not getting the IS.

You know what I would do? If you want to spend some money, why not invest in the car you own now? There are a lot of little things you can do to the LS400 to really make it stand out and look 'newer' than it is. Like JDM one piece headlights, clear bumper signals and red with clear center tail lights (like all the new cars, nobody seems to use orange anymore). And of course, 18 inch rims look fabulous on an LS400 and still allow room for rubber so you still have a nice smooth ride. Just by making those changes you will turn heads left and right!

I don't necessarily want to spend more money, eventho the mods do sound nice, the idea of switching to an IS was primarily to save money on gas, I think as it is my LS turns heads as well. As soon as I got it, first thing I did was wash it, clay bar the whole car and wax it with Klasse wax, the paint just popped, so people think it looks like right out of the showroom as well. I tought about putting those red and clear center tail lights, fact is that , I think it'll take away from the originality of the car, maybe it;s just me. But good suggestions tho :cheers:

Hey man did you see pictures of my LS. I spent some money on the clear front bumper lights ($50) and the red and white rear tail lights with red LED's for $180. Added some tint ($200) and the car is awesome. So for $500 bucks you can truly make your car a 2000. :)

Of course I went on and added nice wheels and tires, then rotors and a great wax job. The LS looks mint.

Hey man did you see pictures of my LS. I spent some money on the clear front bumper lights ($50) and the red and white rear tail lights with red LED's for $180. Added some tint ($200) and the car is awesome. So for $500 bucks you can truly make your car a 2000. :)

Of course I went on and added nice wheels and tires, then rotors and a great wax job. The LS looks mint.

hey kewldude. how do I see a pic of your car? I still haven;t mastered this forum completly, infact, I think I wanted to put a pic of my car one day, but it didnt; upload, so I just gave up.