Lexus 400h Rusted Muffler

I looked under the car during my first (5000 mile) oil change and noticed that the muffler on the right just before the exhaust pipe was almost completely rusted. I have been in Florida with it and have not been any snow. I thought these mufflers were made of stainless and should not rust. Anyone else have this condition? Is this normal ar do i have a defective muffler?

I looked under the car during my first (5000 mile) oil change and noticed that the muffler on the right just before the exhaust pipe was almost completely rusted. I have been in Florida with it and have not been any snow. I thought these mufflers were made of stainless and should not rust. Anyone else have this condition? Is this normal ar do i have a defective muffler?

Salt. locations along any ocean coast suffer from this.

The exhaust system on my RX400h with 25,000 miles is also showing signs of rust. The worst is the exhuast pipe downstream of the muffler. It has rust bad enough that it looks like it has large rust flakes coming off! I will try to get some photos of it. Sure doesn't look like stainless steel to me.

Okay, let me ask you this: Do you take any short trips (under 10 miles)? Often, I notice water spewing from the mufflers of cars that were just driven from their owner's home. Moisture condenses inside the muffler over night (especially if left outside) and the best way to get rid of this moisture is to drive a long enough distance.

[i got the same trouble and i drive about 45 miles to work,,one way,every day,,

and i see my muffler very rusty as well,, i dont think that ever clears up,,,,anytime i look underneath,the muffler looks just as rusty,,

one thing i did notice,after a heavy rainfall if i leave my truck out and the brakes get wet,,,rust will form on the rotors,,but after some use,,,the rust seems to rub off and they will shine back to normal after drying off,,but the muffler has nothing to grind off the rust,,,

The difference there is that your rotors are uncoated steel. Mufflers can be aluminized steel, stainless steel, or even titanium, but they are never uncoated.

Okay, let me ask you this: Do you take any short trips (under 10 miles)? Often, I notice water spewing from the mufflers of cars that were just driven from their owner's home. Moisture condenses inside the muffler over night (especially if left outside) and the best way to get rid of this moisture is to drive a long enough distance.

Short trips are not relavant to the issue. Short trips cause internal corrosion, the discussion is external corrosion.

Ron

Short trips are not relavant to the issue. Short trips cause internal corrosion, the discussion is external corrosion.

Ron

external corrosion is often a "too late" sign of heavy internal corrosion. I worked in the marine industry for almost 17 years; believe me, I've seen plenty of corrosion!

• 5 months later...

Ron

external corrosion is often a "too late" sign of heavy internal corrosion. I worked in the marine industry for almost 17 years; believe me, I've seen plenty of corrosion!

The Y pipe on my 99 GS400 just rusted through sending an O2 bad signal and tripped the check engine light. Welded up the hole and the code went away.

The pipe is made of a crap grade of stainless steel. Seem my 99 Chrysler exhaust is still shiny.

Take a magnet and put it on the Stainless(is it really) Stainless does not have magnetic properties like regular steel. If the magnet sticks, it is not stainless, and if that is what it is supposed to be, contact Lexus and get them to replace it with the correct product.

LOL, guys this is just surface corrosion and its normal. If it really bothers you take some metal polish and polish the mufflers, it will remove it. It will come back. Surface rusting on rotors after contact with water is normal too.

Take a magnet and put it on the Stainless(is it really) Stainless does not have magnetic properties like regular steel. If the magnet sticks, it is not stainless, and if that is what it is supposed to be, contact Lexus and get them to replace it with the correct product.

Stainless steel comes in many alloys. Some are magnetic, some are not. Some rust more than others.

Regarless, I wouldn't worry about the muffler. If it really is a crappy as you suggest, it will fall apart befor the warrentee is up, and then you have just have it replaced.