Oem Pads

nc211

Ok, so I finally installed true toyota oem front brake pads, new shim kit, fitment kit and greased the inner shim with toyota grease as instructed. Good news....no more squeeking or that train sound groaning when coming to a stop! When going forward....hahaha

When I'm backing up though down the driveway in the morning, they freakin' scream!! What gives???

I'm not *BLEEP*ed or anything, infact just the opposite, I think it's funny. I'm pulling down the driveway at 8:00 am and waking up every neighbor I've got, while thinking to myself "well that figures...why wouldn't you squeek? you pain in the AS$"

Who the heck owned this thing before me? Satan? I checked the vin number, no 666 numbers.

The difference between oem and aftermarket front pads are three things:

1) The part of the oem pad that faces down towards the ground is in the form of a scoop, not just angled off.

2) the spacer attachments hold the pad in place

3) and probably the biggest difference, the shims are NOT glued, taped or clipped onto the back of the pad. The are just aligned up on the slider holes. I think this makes the biggest difference in squeeks.

not to be a smart @$$ but hey forget it, after all the trouble those things have given you just take them all the way off the car including the rotors and calipers and use the emergency brake and downshift to slow down........you'll get a cardiovascular work out from your heart jumping through your throat when someone slams on the brakes and when some one asks you why you took them off give them a mumbo jumbo answer

well see the weight of the car divided by horsepower equals X so when i took the brake system off i lost X in wieght so technically i picked up X amount of horsepower with 4-6lbs equaling a theoretical 1HP, that will definitly shock them, maybe they'll do it too and when they rear end you, you can get a new car out of it!!!!

Just a joke, but seriously i hope you can get that damn car to do what you want!!! Hey pay a LS430 twenty bucks to whip its butt for talking dirty to you while you reversed out of the drive way....sorry man i'm no help!!

SOMEONE HELP THIS MAN!!!! :geek::censored:

Good, I'm not alone!! Mine will do it occasionally....you wanna talk about loud too!!! :cheers: The high pitched scream on my car comes from the back brakes for sure. I wonder if it's the parking brake hanging up or something?

Hahahaha...Sapper, I'm beyond help!! I'm the "one" who flew over the cuckoo's nest! :wacko:

It's no big deal, just a squeek that a little more grease will probably fix.

Blake, yours is coming from the rear? Hmmmm.. <_< I haven't switched out those yet with the oem's...that's on tomorrow's list down at the garage. Funny thing, I got the parts in the other day, and the rear oem pads are blue. Blue??? Interesting. Maybe I'm mistakin on which end the squeek is coming from as it's sooooo loud it sounds like it's coming from the whole car! It's definetly when I press the brake pedel down though. Is your's squeeking by just going in reverse in general or with the pedel pressed down as well. If it's only with the pedel, then I wouldn't think it would be the e-brake, but rather just the pads. If it's donig it w/o the pedel being used, then yeah, I bet it is your ebrake shoes rubbing the inside of the rotor.

You know, if you and I combined our two cars into one, we'd have the best LS400 ever made under the sun! Hahaha

Blake, yours is coming from the rear? Hmmmm.. <_< I haven't switched out those yet with the oem's...that's on tomorrow's list down at the garage. Funny thing, I got the parts in the other day, and the rear oem pads are blue. Blue??? Interesting. Maybe I'm mistakin on which end the squeek is coming from as it's sooooo loud it sounds like it's coming from the whole car! It's definetly when I press the brake pedel down though. Is your's squeeking by just going in reverse in general or with the pedel pressed down as well. If it's only with the pedel, then I wouldn't think it would be the e-brake, but rather just the pads. If it's donig it w/o the pedel being used, then yeah, I bet it is your ebrake shoes rubbing the inside of the rotor.

Yeah, my rear pads are blue too! Mine squeaks only in reverse. Your pedal theory makes good sense, but I ride the brake the entire time I back out of the driveway since my driveway is a bit of a challenge since it is short and oddly shaped. After we back out, that's it, no more squeaking!

You know, if you and I combined our two cars into one, we'd have the best LS400 ever made under the sun! Hahaha

LOL :cheers:

guys you think it could be a bearing, carrier, or axle problem? that's a little out there speaking you guys have these blue pads, ever think about going with a high pro pad for the rear just to experiment? Really shouldn't make much difference because i mean you got OEM and they didn't squeak in reverse off the assembly line, so i would do a little research and find out exactly WHAT company is making these pads for Toyota, because i am pretty sure they don't manufacture them for themselves, but rather contract them out, and possibly the pads that are made avaiblible and not installed on their cars are most likey a different specification.....my 2 cents fellas

Your car didn't squeek in reverse when you're car was newer and before the factory original brake system parts had ever been touched. Therefore, fixing the squeek will likely involve tracking down what other parts besides the pads in the system need to be restored to factory original condition or adjustment specs.

The anti squeel shims work better when they are glued with the anti squeel juice. I have been using this stuff for years and very seldom ever experience squeel. The other point is to make sure the pad surfaces are lubricated properly where they rest in the caliper mounts.

• 4 months later...

I've read this thread with interest as I am experiencing a similar problem with brake squeal in my 97 LS. Squeal is extremely noticeable in reverse only, usually when the car is first driven/started (or has sat for a few hours).

I had new front brake pads and front rotors installed 3 months ago by my local Toyota dealer (no Lexus dealer nearby). The brake pads are factory Lexus, and the rotors are aftermarket NAPA. I brought the car back to them this morning, and it finally made the noise that the mechanic could hear. You know how it is ... that mystery noise that never seems to appear when the car is near the mechanic.

After inspection, the calipers and brakes all seem to be working fine and the mechanic is claiming that the aftermarket rotor is already glazed, causing the squeal. NAPA has agreed to replace the rotors under a 6 month warranty. The difference in price between aftermarket and factory oem is considerable. But if this rotor replacement does not work, it is back to Lexus rotors.

I did question whether the brake pads were installed properly (after reading about the LS pads being directional), and the mechanic assurred me they were put on correctly. I then asked why a new shim kit and fitting kit was not also put on at the time, and the mechanic claimed those original parts were working fine so there was no need to replace them.

So we'll see if the replacement rotors do the trick. I am not completely convinced, beacuse I would think the squeal would also happen going forward. I am certainly learning more about brakes than I knew before, and this lexus forum is great for sharing this type of info. I feel much more confident in discussing issues with my mechanic once I have done my homework. So if the replacement rotors do not fix this problem, I will definitely push for the Lexus rotors, possibly a new shim kit, and the Permatex disc brake quiet spray be used between the shims and the backs of the brake pads.

i just want my quiet LS back!

I had new front brake pads and front rotors installed 3 months ago by my local Toyota dealer (no Lexus dealer nearby). The brake pads are factory Lexus, and the rotors are aftermarket NAPA.

After inspection, the calipers and brakes all seem to be working fine and the mechanic is claiming that the aftermarket rotor is already glazed, causing the squeal. NAPA has agreed to replace the rotors under a 6 month warranty. The difference in price between aftermarket and factory oem is considerable. But if this rotor replacement does not work, it is back to Lexus rotors.

- Glaze is caused by extreme braking temperatures or residue left on pads/rotors during service due to lack of cleanliness. Normally a quick sanding of friction surfaces followed by a good cleaning resolves this, so I don't know what replacing 3 month old rotors would accomplish.

I did question whether the brake pads were installed properly (after reading about the LS pads being directional), and the mechanic assurred me they were put on correctly. I then asked why a new shim kit and fitting kit was not also put on at the time, and the mechanic claimed those original parts were working fine so there was no need to replace them.

- "working fine"? They are anti-noise parts and you have noise. They may be up to 10 years old and while they are likely intact, it is unlikely they have the spring and cushion they originally had.

So if the replacement rotors do not fix this problem, I will definitely push for the Lexus rotors, possibly a new shim kit, and the Permatex disc brake quiet spray be used between the shims and the backs of the brake pads.

- I think you can skip the rotors. Why not have them do the other items why they have it apart now? Inspection and replacement or clean&lube of caliper pins is important as well.

Hey LScott400,

I hear what you are saying, and do agree. I highly doubt changing the rotors out is going to solve this problem. But this is the route this dealer wants to take. I have a very good relationship with them.

They wanted to go with the aftermarket rotors to save me $$$. They said that sometimes recycled metals are used in these aftermarket rotors, which might be causing the problem. So they are betting on a "lemon" of sorts, I guess. There is going to be no charge to me to replace these rotors, so if this is the first step they want to take in finding the solution, then I'll play along.

They also wanted to save $$$ by not ordering in the shim and fitting kits. They do most of their brake work without replacing these items, and have had few complaints (so they say). I suspect that they will be neeeded at some point (I suspect I have original equipment and 10 years is getting up there), but what do I know. i just own and drive the car. I can press to have these items changed at my cost, which might eventually happen. I should have insisted on all new factory Lexus components on the first place.

I'll be sure to mention the cleaning/lube and/or replacement of the caliper pins to them.

In the end, the car does stop (which is the important thing looking at the big picture). But stopping quietly would be nice, too.