Es, Gs, Or Old Ls?

Hello,

I am considering an older Lexus and have taken time to read the "pinned" posting on the ES as to FAQ's. I am aware of the possibly of oil gelling with the ES engine in '97 and newer models.

I would like this car to be my primary car. I will keep the Dodge truck mentioned in my profile, which was purchased years ago only for work needs and "winter beater.' If I have budgeted around 12k for this purchase, is a '99-00 front-drive ES, or a '98 GS 300 rear-drive the better overall buy? Which one tends to be the more reliable? Which one is simply better to drive in general?

Now I am open to a third option, that of a '95 to '96 LS with a few more miles. They are out there as well - looking mostly around Chicago, but are they a smart choice overall, and if so, why?

I'm sure you may get a lot of these questions, so forgive my ignorance. Perhaps it will help someone else out down the road as well. Thanks in advance...

id go for the GS. The 98-05 GS (opinion) looks better than the 95-01 ES. Also i believe the GS has the Inline 6 cylinder (which in my opinion is better than a V6) which came off the supra, one of the better engines lexoyta has built in the past. :D

However, i would imagine the ES to be slightier more reliable since 98 GS is first year make. But then again, this is lexus (unlike german cars) where reliability isnt much of a problem.

Im not too sure about this, but i know the ES is four speed and im assuming the GS is 5sp. transmission

For $12k, I'd go with a low mileage 2000 ES300. Both models are very reliable as long as the previous owners have taken care of regular maintenance. The GS is a funner car to drive especially if you go with the GS400.

The LS400 is a great choice too, and the fact that it's a cruiser car, you will typically find the used ones have not been driven very hard. The 4.0 liter V8 engine is increadible!! They don't have to rev beyond 2,500 to scooooooot up to speed, therefore there is a bit less wear and tear on the internal engine compnents. I love my 95 LS400, and the updating I've done on it has made it like new again, even though it was pretty much new when I bought it 2 years ago at 84k miles. I now have 112k on it, with NO end in site!

I'm torn between the GS400 and the LS400 myself. In a perfect world, I would have both. I think you'll find the same feeling with a lot of the LS owners too. We seem to agree that the only other car we would replace our LS400's with would either be a new LS430 or the GS4XX models. I'M NOT KNOCKIN' THE ES models though. They're freakin' awesome cars too!! It's just once you've had a V8 under your foot, it's hard to get rid of it. Espeacilly a V8 that gets 20mpg in the city and 25-27mpg on the highway.

One thing you also have to keep in mind is the ES is going to be the cheapest to service and maintain out of all the choices.

The oil gelling issue with that generation is enough to turn me off though, honestly.

GS400

Nice thought, however have you tried looking for one of these for $12k (or less...) Sorry but 12K is the TOP, not the bottom of my price range.

Thanks for all the thoughts, please keep them coming....

One thing you also have to keep in mind is the ES is going to be the cheapest to service and maintain out of all the choices.

The oil gelling issue with that generation is enough to turn me off though, honestly.

I agree with the first part, but the second is a non issue if all maintenance has been performed on time....it's such a small percentage.

:cheers:

Personally, I think the biggest "bang for the buck" would be with a 98 GS300 - a 60K mile one should be well within your $12K budget - particularly if you go with a private party deal. The used car market is very soft so you might even find a low mileage 99 GS or a higher mileage 00 GS300 within your budget.

But it is all a matter of personal taste. The front wheel drive ES (and RX) drives and feels completely different fom the GS and LS. Every time I drive an ES (or RX), it is a shock how different the Lexus front drive cars are from the rear drive ones.

If you like front wheel drive cars, go with the ES. I agree with Steve that the ES will be considerably less expensive to own. And you likely get a much newer ES for the money.

If you go GS, look for the best one you can find and avoid Nav if it is a 00 or older GS.

I agree with the first part, but the second is a non issue if all maintenance has been performed on time....it's such a small percentage.

:cheers:

But its also extremely rare to find a used vehicle you can be sure all the maintenance has been properly completed on.

I agree with Jim on everything but the difference in the vehicles FWD vs RWD, personally I don't think the difference is distinct at all between the way the FWD cars drive and the RWD cars drive unless you like pushing the car's handling limits. Actually, I'm always surprised by how similarly the ES behaves to the GS and LS despite being FWD. I drove my ES back to back to back to back to a 00 LS400 that I almost purchased instead, drove my dad's old 98 LS a lot, and drive his 04 every once and while and I always am impressed when I get back in my car by how similarly it drives for how much cheaper it is.