A Few More Pics Of The 07 Ls460

High Output V8, World's First Eight-Speed Transmission

The LS will be powered by an all-new highly advanced 4.6-liter V8 engine that will produce approximately 380 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque. Combined with an eight-speed automatic transmission, a world-first, the LS 460 will travel from zero-to-sixty miles per hour in less than 5.5 seconds. With that level of performance, the new LS will achieve an estimated combined city/highway mileage in the mid-20s.

Damn!

8 gears??? :blink: Wow, who's building the transmission...Peterbuilt? That is about the only concern I would have with buying a brand new one in it's first year of production, especially taking into consideration some of the problems Toyota has had with the electronic throttle set up already. Not saying it's a problem, I mean it is Lexus after all, not Fiat. But even still... I wonder why Lexus hasn't messed with the centrifical band transmissions, like on the Nissan Morano and old Buicks back in the day? No shifting points at all on those...silky smooth. It would just seem like a natural fit for the LS4XX of the future, seeings as how smooth they are already, and always have been. I'm sure their engineers could master any funky querks associated with that type of transmission right down to perfection.

Nissan has (or had) a very interesting CVT that used a series of convex/concave rollers with slotted surfaces under very high pressure. The inside rollers pivoted between the outside rollers, and depending on the angle it changed the gear ratio. It was offered in the Gloria/Cedric and Cima cars in Japan (not sure if it survived Le Cost Killer Ghosn-san or not).

Its big thing was that because it didn't have a belt or a chain it could handle around 300hp& lb/ft of torque. Not bad for back in the day but probably not sturdy enough now .

I think Aisin-Warner is building the 8 speed autobox; saw that online a couple weeks ago. They make most of Toyota's transmissions.

ZF makes a 6 speed transmission that runs with a pair of of planetary gearsets; don't know if it obviates the need for a torque converter or not. It's used on the BMW 7 series, Rolls Royce Phantom and Jaguar XJ cars (I think Audi/VW/Bentley also use it for their W12 cars but I'm not sure). Based on the video at the launch conference it looks like the 8 speed AT uses at least 2 Planetary gearsets...can't see if the torque converter is still there or not.

Most of the technology in this car actually has been premiered in some form before: VDIM in the IS and GS, variable ratio steering and electronic braking (yuk) in the GS. There is some all new tech but there will already be a couple years experience in production by the time this new car arrives.

Still, I hope Lexus hasn't gone over the edge here. Self parking? Don't want to be around when that breaks...but the music server sounds cool. From the pix looks like some variant of the current Ultra Lux will be offered (wood panel or maybe controls in armrest) for those of us that want the ability to seat 5 people in the car.

Can't wait to see it in person!

:cheers:

Great Pics LexKid630, Thanks. What color would/will you get??

I would get the dark blue (hopefuly lighter than the blue onyx pearl) with the ivory interior of course :)

I have to say this is the best looking Lexus ever made in my opinion! Don't even want to know how much this will cost :( I would LOVE to have one!

So this is the actual LS460? Finally. I have saw so many different photos of the supposed model.

I was wondering about it, because I was wanting to see how it compared with the new 2007 Mercedes S-Class- which is also all new for 07'.

http://www.mbusa.com/index.do

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/s-class/index.jsp

Im a big fan of the LS but the new S class, WOW. You also dont get the presence from the LS as you do with the S class. I love both cars but i think the thing that gives the lexus the edge is the pricing. Both cars same power, one is 30 grand cheaper

Still, I hope Lexus hasn't gone over the edge here. Self parking?

You think that's bad? The crusie control in the new S class can bring the car to a complete stop and then resume speed. :o B) There was an article about it in Motor Trend a month or two ago. They had the car in a traffic jam, and it pretty much did all of the work. That's got to be wicked to have the car doing all of the starting and stopping for you. The writer said he had his foot near the brake, just in case! LOL

Unfortunately they did not have the new LS at the Washington Auto Show, but they did have a new S class.

The new S class is really nice, great finishes, great use of leather, wood, and chrome, and the exterior isn't as far out as it looks in pictures.

But, and this is a big but, its not a traditional enough car for me. I like a traditionally laid out interior with a console and a console shifter, like the 7 series the S class feels like a driving appliance inside, not something that the driver wears or fits into. To me thats one of the greatest stregnths of the new LS against these cars.

Plus the S is no longer going to be sold in lesser than 550 trim, meaning MSRP it starts over $80k.