10 Best Engines For 2006

Lexusfreak

From Canadian Driver.com...

December 12, 2005

Ward's Auto News names 10 Best Engines

Southfield, Michigan - Ward's Auto News has announced the winners of its 12th annual 10 Best Engines for 2006, the auto industry's highly-regarded barometer of powertrain prowess.

This year's winners, and the vehicles they were tested in, are:

Audi 2.0-litre FSI DOHC turbocharged inline 4 (Audi A3)

Audi 4.2-litre DOHC V8 (Audi S4)

BMW 3.0-litre DOHC inline 6 (330i)

DaimlerChrysler 5.7-litre Hemi DOHC V8 (Dodge Charger R/T)

Ford 4.6-litre SOHC V8 (Mustang GT)

General Motors 2.0-litre supercharged DOHC inline 4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS)

General Motors 2.8-litre turbocharged DOHC V6 (Saab 9-3)

Mazda 2.3-litre DISI turbocharged DOHC inline 4 (Mazdaspeed 6)

Nissan 3.5-litre DOHC V6 (infiniti G35 6MT)

Toyota 3.5-litre DOHC V6 (Lexus IS 350)

Ward's noted that two engineering developments show up on several engines on the list: direct-injection gasoline (DIG) technology and forced induction, which allows engineers to develop powerful engines that return acceptable fuel economy.

Many of the engines are multiple award winners: the 5.7 Hemi won for its fourth consecutive year; the Ford V8 and Audi 4.2 for their second year; while Nissan racked up its unrivaled twelfth consecutive win, the only engine to win a 10 Best Engines award every year since the program's inception.

The vehicles were tested by six of Ward's editors over a two-month period; the editors evaluated 31 different cars, trucks and SUVs and scored based on power, torque, noise, vibration and harshness, technical relevance and basic comparative numbers. All engines nominated and tested were in vehicles with a base MSRP under US$52,500.

:cheers:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be curious to see what they would think after 30k/50k/75k on those engines. I bet I can guess who would be at the top of that list then! Obviously they don't take into consideration the "outside" components like alternator, pumps and so-forth.

I would be curious to see what they would think after 30k/50k/75k on those engines. I bet I can guess who would be at the top of that list then! Obviously they don't take into consideration the "outside" components like alternator, pumps and so-forth.

It's a fair point nc. It's too bad they don't do a 'follow up' for long term reliability of these engines.....would be intresting. B)

SWO3ES, I respectfully disagree with you on this one. My brother had a dodge "chrystler" shadow that would shut off in the rain, and that thing leaked everything it held too. My uncle had the 300M that would do the same thing, and a few blow seals and so forth. Our old Town and Country minivan blew out at 54k miles. Our 92' BMW 325ic had several glitches in the engine, but mostly electrical related. I don't know much about Ford though, never had one in the family circle, other than my parents retirement S. Florida "Del Boca Vista, Phase II crusty old !Removed! territory" community, and it's a 2000 with only 9,500 miles on it. Only problems with that car are the flat spots on the tires from sitting so long.

The engine itself may be fine. I think our minivan might have just been a glitch. But in my honest opinion, it's all the components attached to the engine that makes the engine good or not, like the electricals, pumps and so forth. We've always maintained our cars like true finactical freaks too. I've met several owners of these cars that love them and have had no problems, but have met more owners of these cars that did have engine problems than I have of owners of Toyota engines.

Why? BMW, Chrysler, and Ford have always manufactured excellent engines.

When you see BMW, Chrysler and Ford you know something isn't right LOL

I'll agree on the Chrysler & Ford part, but BMW has always been known for their solid inline 6 cyl engines - like Mercedes and their V8s. I would take a BMW 6 or Mercedes 8 engine any day. Unfortunately the rest of the crap you have to buy to get the engine doesn't work worth a damn anymore.

The 2.0T VW/Audi engine was the next generation of the 1.8T. The 1.8T made Wards Top Ten engines list several years in a row. It was removed when it started to show signs of a sludge development problem. My wife's Passat has the 1.8T and so far it has been a great engine. We just use synthetic, a larger filter and never go past the 3K interval.

The 1.8T is a VW engine that has been around for 20+years. It is the exact same engine DNA that was in the 1980's GTI, Jetta's, Fox's, Scirraco's and Quatro's. My very first car was a 1987 VW Golf GT. They made the Golf "GT" in 87 and 1st quarter 88 based upon the theory that some people would rather have an 8 valve engine rather than their new, fantsy 16 V 1.8 engine. And they had too much inventory for the 8 valve version sitting around to walk away from. The HP went from 105 to 123 due to the doubling in valves. Anywho.. I forgot to mention, and I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here.....are you suprised?.... the shadow was a 1985, minivan was a 94', BMW was a 92' and my uncle's 300M was a 99'. I think Mitshu came into play right around the first "talon/eclipse/eagle" in 88? I remember having a Road and Track talking about "Diamer" becoming part of "Chrystler" and the first production model was that all-wheel-drive turbo Eclipse. Eagle's version was the Talon. Might be a little fuzzy on the name association "It was Vanilla Ice days after all", but I'm pretty close.

Anywho, back to the original post...Put a German engine with 60k next to a Jap engine, with all things being equal, and you tell me which one feels tighter, smoother and better. Put an american engine "excluding the 350, 301 and all other american V8's of course" with 15k miles against a Jap engine with 3x the milage...all things being equal, and tell me which one feels tighter, smoother and better. I'm a man of honest respect for all opinions, no matter what the basis is for the conversation. But in my opinion....time tells the tale....and the Jap engines' past speak for themselves.

The Audi does make a good V8 motor but the best engine is not on the list and that would be the newer and older LEXUS V8 motor, as it is shown as one of the best production motors ever built, blueprinted at production, is noted as one of the longest lasting motors as well. Not the most powerful but very durable. The Lexus motor is advertise in the Automotive museums in Los Angeles California for a reason. THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION is an accurate advertising statement.

Ford's 4.6 is a great engine (as I don't doubt it was based off of the legendary 302!). I know the 4.6s in the Town Cars and Crown Vics can easily go 300k miles. I've seen Town Cars on Ebay that are a few years old and have 250k+ miles on the original powertrain. I think that says something! I drove a new Town Car the other day, and I was most impressed with it. The V8 is very quiet and the trans shifted smoothly. I can't wait until I can "stretch out" in a TC of my own!

Ford's 4.6 is a great engine (as I don't doubt it was based off of the legendary 302!). I know the 4.6s in the Town Cars and Crown Vics can easily go 300k miles. I've seen Town Cars on Ebay that are a few years old and have 250k+ miles on the original powertrain. I think that says something! I drove a new Town Car the other day, and I was most impressed with it. The V8 is very quiet and the trans shifted smoothly. I can't wait until I can "stretch out" in a TC of my own!

Can the Ford 4.6 motor handle almost double the stock RWHP, while running a 100hp nos system regularly for what is now going on over a year on my Lexus SC400 with a little over 100,000 miles on it? It is still running like new with outstanding compression in each cylinder, does not use oil, no breakdowns. I have seen a LS400 with 500,000 original miles no rebuilds and still running well. I tell you there is no better engine.

Can the Ford 4.6 motor handle almost double the stock RWHP, while running a  100hp nos system regularly for what is now going on over a year on my Lexus SC400 with a little over 100,000 miles on it?  It is still running like new with outstanding compression in each cylinder, does not use oil, no breakdowns.  I have seen a LS400 with 500,000 original miles no rebuilds and still running well.  I tell you there is no better engine.

Stock rear wheel horsepower is not important to me; if I want a sports car, I'd buy one that's designed to operate as so instead of heavily modding a car that isn't intended to do that. All I'm saying is that the 4.6 is very smooth and quiet and can last just as long as a 1uzfe. Is the 4.0 higher quality and more smooth than the 4.6? Most likely, and it should be becuase the cars that it comes in are tens and tens of thousands of dollars more expensive than the Fords. There is an old '96 Town Car on Ebay that has almost 700k miles on its original powertrain. You can name almost any car that you want, and if you take care of it, it will last a very, very long time.

They might not "use" oil, but that doesn't mean that they don't leak. We have 2 Lexus cars; I'm speaking from experience.

We've had several Fords that have been great cars. The things that break on the Fords don't break on Lexus, and the things that break on Lexus don't break on Fords. Six of one, half dozen the other, so drive whatever tickles your fancy!

Can the Ford 4.6 motor handle almost double the stock RWHP, while running a  100hp nos system regularly for what is now going on over a year on my Lexus SC400 with a little over 100,000 miles on it?  It is still running like new with outstanding compression in each cylinder, does not use oil, no breakdowns.  I have seen a LS400 with 500,000 original miles no rebuilds and still running well.  I tell you there is no better engine.

Stock rear wheel horsepower is not important to me; if I want a sports car, I'd buy one that's designed to operate as so instead of heavily modding a car that isn't intended to do that. All I'm saying is that the 4.6 is very smooth and quiet and can last just as long as a 1uzfe. Is the 4.0 higher quality and more smooth than the 4.6? Most likely, and it should be becuase the cars that it comes in are tens and tens of thousands of dollars more expensive than the Fords. There is an old '96 Town Car on Ebay that has almost 700k miles on its original powertrain. You can name almost any car that you want, and if you take care of it, it will last a very, very long time.

They might not "use" oil, but that doesn't mean that they don't leak. We have 2 Lexus cars; I'm speaking from experience.

We've had several Fords that have been great cars. The things that break on the Fords don't break on Lexus, and the things that break on Lexus don't break on Fords. Six of one, half dozen the other, so drive whatever tickles your fancy!

That is true if you maintain an engine and drive it normally it should last a long time. As far as the towncar and 4.6 ford, chevy vortec's and trinton motors are all good strong motors, the difference is that these engines are not blue printed at production as where the lexus IUZFE's are, that is the difference in wear and durability and smoothe operation. I used to be a Chevy and Ford man but discovered Lexus motors and there design and never looked back, and to me and many others it is the best. I have owned the Ford mustang with the 4.6L motor for what was a year and yes it is strong motor and should last well over 100,000 miles, my friend owns a lincoln navigator and yes it is a strong motor but other parts and the tranny's are not so reliable and in these American cars in my opinion and others. Unfortunately, American cars do not compare to the Lexus imports with longevity or reliability, even though I wish they did, that is fact.

There are a number of long-lasting American "Big Iron" V8 engines on the market. The key is to 1) choose a well-proven and respected model and 2) take care of it with regular oil and filter changes.

I've always loved the 5.9 liter (360) V8 in my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500-series SLT pickup. That engine remains as strong and trouble-free as the day I brought it home. In fact, the entire truck has been a trustworthy, bulletproof workhorse that just doesn't break. Compared to the myriad of major problems we've been through with my wife's 2000 RX300, my Ram has proven to be the far superior vehicle in terms of quality, durability, and longevity.

The only drawback to my Ram is its tendency to swallow fuel. The best I'm able to do is about 14 mpg around town and about 18 mpg on the highway. But if you require power and performance, that's the tradeoff you'll always have to accept with any gas-powered full-size truck or SUV regardless of manufacturer.

I think V8's in general are the most reliable engines out there for the simple fact that you don't have to strangle them to get up to speed = less wear and tear. You take a 4 banger, and it's eating up it's power-band all the time to get around which accelerates the wear. No doubt in my mind that the Jap's have the best 4 banger engines for durabily and comfort. 6 cylinders are ok, but they've upped the compression and so forth these days to squeez 300hp out of them, that again you're revving up higher to scoot around. Take a V8 and under normal operating conditions, you're usually using about 25% of it's ability to scoot around. But the real fun happens when you tap into the remaining 75% and start haulin' some tail! You could not give me an american 4 cylinder engine. But I'll take an american V8 any day...especially the Chevy 350, even though it'll cost more in components over the years, still a damn good engine!

Yes small block Chevy's and Dodge muscle engines like the Hemmi are very good and strong motors as I had mentioned above, but I tell you they could not handle what I have been doing to my Lexus 4.0L V8 engine with 100,000+ miles which is nos for more than a year plus other mods. I talk to nos professionals regularly, these are people that build up American engines daily for professional and steer racing and they tell me the low down on nos and the stress and damaging affects it has on smaller engines and will wear out the larger American engines as well over time. They tell my my lexus motor and only a few mercedes motors are the few engines that can get away with what I am doing. We are talking about a 100hp instant stress on internal engine parts over and over again for a year now, no gradual excelleration as with normal excelleration in cars, the nos kicks and boom, both rear wheels start spinning. Again blue printing at production is the key for less imperfections and close to perfect fitting of internal parts, and so on. Even though these mechanics say the lexus V8 motors are superior in quality, they still own and drive and work on those power small and big block Chevy's and Fords. Why because they can suppport and put out huge HP, where as the smaller V8 Lexus motors are more challenging to build up and are small at 4.0, 4.3, size motors.

Now, as far as the RX300 Lexus goes, I did not say the Lexus six cylinder motors are the best I said the lexus V8 motors are, as advertised in Auto museums in LA, and so on..... Fella's I also love the big and powerful American muscle engines and I know where you all are comng from, but facts are facts. Good day-

No one is saying you're wrong. But we're not talking about the best engines that are or can be modified, we're talking about the best engines any joe-shmo-from-kookamoo can buy anywhere and will drive them under normal circumstances...as initially designed and constructed by the manufactor. Now if you're saying that your customized toyota V8 engine will out last and not wear as fast as a standard GM V8 with none of that modification stuff...well I'd have to see it to believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

Many airport limo's here are Town Cars.....with over 600,000 miles! (1,000,000 kms) & still going strong on the 4.6L V8. SO I agree they are a very durable engine. ;)

Many airport limo's here are Town Cars.....with over 600,000 miles! (1,000,000 kms) & still going strong on the 4.6L V8. SO I agree they are a very durable engine. ;)

I saw a '96 Town Car that was from Canada on Ebay that had almost 700k miles, and the seller said that it has original powertrain! It still looked to be in pretty good shape too.

I think the Ford 4.6 is the modular OHC engine that was designed from scratch and introduced in the early 1990's.

The 302 was based on the 289.

Duh, I completely forgot that the 4.6 has ohc!!

Thanks! :cheers:

Still not as well built as a LEXUS V8 motor, not even close!!!!!!!

I saw a '96 Town Car that was from Canada on Ebay that had almost 700k miles, and the seller said that it has original powertrain! It still looked to be in pretty good shape too.

I think the Ford 4.6 is the modular OHC engine that was designed from scratch and introduced in the early 1990's.

The 302 was based on the 289.

Duh, I completely forgot that the 4.6 has ohc!!

Thanks! :cheers: