10 Best Engines For 2006

Lexusfreak

Still not as well built as a LEXUS V8 motor, not even close!!!!!!!

If I may ask, what basis of knowledge with comparing these two engines are you basing this opinion on?

Read the whole thread and then you may see where I am coming from.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read the whole thread, its obvious you have a lot of experience with the Lexus V8, or employ people that have that experience I'm just wondering where the experience with the engine you're so immediately saying is inferior is.

I see a lot of retelling of what your mechanics have told you and very little first hand experience.

Well talking from experience, I spent 15 years only working and building up American V8 engines, Small Block Chevy's mostly, then I owned a used car dealership for about 6 years. Have bought and sold and repaired just about every American car you can think of... and many high mile sc400 and ls400's. For some reason I always found myself repairing the American cars with high miles alot more then the Lexus's with high miles, and I wanted to find out why this was so. What I found was that the Lexus V8 engines also run smoother and tend to last longer in general due to the fact that each lexus V8 motor is blueprinted at production, where as American engine are not. Don't get me wong the American engine produce more power and can last a long time if maintained, especially the newer engines, vortec's, trinton's, hemi's, etc... but alternators go out, trannys fail, electrical issues happen, and parts tend to break faster in most if not all Amercan V8 cars more so then in the Lexus V8. I also have friends, one whom works at a Mercedes dealership, say's all the new mercedes break down to much and are crap, the english cars are even worse, the range rovers and land rovers, although they are nice while they work but they are always breaking down kind of like the old 12 cyclinder Jags. I could go on and on but I base everything on actual experiences. I could write a book on this stuff. That is it.

You don't think alternators fail frequently on early Lexus V8s? What about the famous power steering pump always fouling the alternator problem that spawns people bolting milk jugs over their alternators to try and save them? What about the transmission issues on the RX AWDs and some of the mid model ES300s? Do you remember that Lexus replaced EVERY transmission on the LS430s last year because they were faulty? What about the fact that my A/C compressor is out at 60k miles, my dad's LS400 needed an A/C compressor at about 70k. What about the air ride system thats destined for failure?

My point is every manufacturer has issues and foibles. You can't discount the fact that the motor in the Crown Victoria/Town Car is one of the most solidly engineered motors out there. No it might not have the tolerances of the Lexus V8 and it may not be as overengineered, but they run forever and take amazing amounts of abuse as Taxis, Police Cars, Limos etc. Vehicles just don't last 700k on the same powertrain unless that powertrain is well engineered. Especially on cars that are beat on constantly like Taxis.

I don't know, I just don't get the feeling from you that you're getting what you're saying from your own experience. You say a lot of "They say" "I was told" etc. If you give me 20 minutes I can find 5 people that will tell me that Lexus vehicles are "crap" and "don't last" but it doesn't make them right.

Edited by SW03ES

As they shouldn't be since the Fords with the 4.6l are nowhere near as expensive as any Lexus with a V8, not even close!!!!!!! Let's see, $20k compared to $65k. My point is the Ford may not be as well put together, but that means nothing when there are so many of them still on the road with original mechanicals that have 300k+ on the odo.

Here's to Lexus supremacy!

:cheers:

Not.

Well talking from experience, I spent 15 years only working and building up American V8 engines, Small Block Chevy's mostly, then I owned a used car dealership for about 6 years. Have bought and sold and repaired just about every American car you can think of... and many high mile sc400 and ls400's. For some reason I always found myself repairing the American cars with high miles alot more then the Lexus's with high miles, and I wanted to find out why this was so.

Your experience is based on the repairs that you performed on cars that are on a used car lot? LOL Used car lot=we sell cheap, previously wrecked, unmaintained crap that any reputable person or dealer can't sell with good conscience. A used car lot is undoubtedly a great place to collect data!! :lol:

This is a good thread in which to note that I had to effect my first non-warranty, non-routine-maintenance repair on my 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 pickup truck this morning in order to pass the required annual North Carolina safety inspection ritual. The problem? My left-side license plate bulb had burned out. I had to replace it at a cost of about $1.25 and three minutes of my time to remove the old bulb and replace it with the new one. I can't complain at all for a truck that will turn seven years old in February.

My point is that there are still some damn good American-made vehicles out there if you know where to look. Over the years this truck has required a new catalytic converter (an emissions warranty item), a new battery (which I consider to be a routine maintenance replacement item after four years from date of ownership), a new set of tires (again, a routine maintenance replacement item), and now a new license plate bulb. That's it. Compare this to the assortment of major problems that my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD has suffered during essentially the same timeframe and far less punishment in terms of workload and purpose and there's no question whatsoever which has been the far better vehicle in our household.

I think V8's in general are the most reliable engines out there for the simple fact that you don't have to strangle them to get up to speed = less wear and tear. You take a 4 banger, and it's eating up it's power-band all the time to get around which accelerates the wear.

To the contrary, Toyota built its worldwide reputation for durability based on the 600,000 mile capability of its high winding 4 cylinder engines. It has taken the Asian car makers 30 years to break down the MYTH established by American car makers that small sized high winding engines can't be extremely durable. Here are some Toyota 4 cylinder owner testimonials:

475,000 miles and running like a true champ:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/475.jpg

My own 4 cylinder Toyota pickup still running strong after 463,000 miles and still passing tough California smog tests with it's factory original catalytic coverter because the engine still has like new compression and minimal piston ring wear / blow by:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/463.jpg

Breaking in at 350,000 miles:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/350.jpg

345,000 mile Camry:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/345.jpg

297,000 mile Toyota MR2 sports car

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/297.jpg

Again, nobody's denying that Toyota/Lexus makes a fine engine and a fine automobile, we're just saying there are plenty of other carmakers from assorted different countries that do as well. I drive a Lexus and suspect that even if I were to purchase something else I'd always wind up back at the Lexus brand. Simply because they suit me and my personality as well as my needs, plus its a great car.

But, to say that any particular engine is not reliable, nor durable, or poorly engineered simply because its American, German, Sweedish, Mexican, whatever when you don't have any experience or facts behind that opinion is ignorant. Thats all I'm saying.

First off, yes the power steering pumps go out on the sc, and a few other things, but much more goes wrong with American cars around the same age and mileage. I am familiar with the 400's 4.0L motors by Lexus years 92-97 that is it. I do not know about the 430 or 6 cylinder lexus motors. I assumed the 430 is as well built as the 400's. Maybe not. All I am saying from supershop mechanics to hands on experience I can honeslty say the 4.0L Lexus motor is the best I have ever owned or worked on. That is my opinion and others.

Did you know that in two of the auto museums in LA, California, both have only the Lexus motors on display, and one rates it the best motor, the Lex 4.0L also won motor/car of the year I believe in 92 or 93 in that class, maybe more, that I do not know for sure. I was at the Californin Science Center at USC the other week and happen to take pictures of the lexus motor on display, I will post to show I am not just making this stuff up.

For Blake - I am no longer a used car dealer, and I was not one of the bad ones, or a Persian one either, I did not buy salvaged or mile fraud cars. But yes it is a degradable profession, but I had to make a living and I did o.k.for a while then sold the business. However, I was first hand on buying, fixing and driving many used cars, and many sc and ls400's that is all I am saying. Enjoy the pic's, these museums have the Lexus v8 motor on display for a reason!!!!

That other picture is my current sc400 motor running nos for over a year, and I use it alot, no problems, just power!!!!!!!!!

Oh one other thing the Lexus 4.0L engines can be purchased for $1000 on ebay, I don't think the Fords are that much cheaper. There did I prove my point yet????????

post-13978-1135723108_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723135_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723171_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723192_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723253_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723281_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723317_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1135723379_thumb.jpg

There did I prove my point yet????????

There is no point to prove as we all know that Lexus makes an excellent V8. You don't have to explain it to me-my 95 LS400 has 268,000 miles and runs/drives/looks excellent. However, to immediately lable any V8 as subpar that doesn't have "1UZ-FE" stamped on it, is wrong and very, very close minded. Rent a DeVille/DTS or Town Car for a weekend, they are not nearly as bad as you think! ;)

There did I prove my point yet????????

There is no point to prove as we all know that Lexus makes an excellent V8. You don't have to explain it to me-my 95 LS400 has 268,000 miles and runs/drives/looks excellent. However, to immediately lable any V8 as subpar that doesn't have "1UZ-FE" stamped on it, is wrong and very, very close minded. Rent a DeVille/DTS or Town Car for a weekend, they are not nearly as bad as you think! ;)

I didn't say they were bad, just not as good as the Lex. I am familiar with Licoln Navigator motors and they are solid beasts, but I would still take a lexus V8 motor over those lincoln motors. Listen, I love America, I am American, and I would love more than anything to say American engines are the greatest, but I just don't think so. Give me the IUZFE!!!

As I said before, I dont think a lincoln towncar motor with 100,000 can handle nos constantly for a year, and almost twice the hp from stock. These Lex V8 are tanks!!! I talk to nos and engine building pro's regularly and they tell me my motor is solid for nos where as they would not try it with any American V8 motors for fear of breakdown or wear. I kid you not. Nos causes a tremendous amount of instant stress to the motors over time and break them to wear out fast. These guys build high performance cars, they don't drive the lexus's but they praise them. Durability, Stress, longevity go with the IUZFE all day long.

As I said before, I dont think a lincoln towncar motor with 100,000 can handle nos constantly for a year, and almost twice the hp from stock. These Lex V8 are tanks!!! I talk to nos and engine building pro's regularly and they tell me my motor is solid for nos where as they would not try it with any American V8 motors for fear of breakdown or wear. I kid you not. Nos causes a tremendous amount of instant stress to the motors over time and break them to wear out fast. These guys build high performance cars, they don't drive the lexus's but they praise them. Durability, Stress, longevity go with the IUZFE all day long.

But again, who cares? If the engine will last 500-700k worth of abuse, who cares whether it will take NOS or not. if its running and running well its serving 99.999% of the public just as well as the Lexus motor. I, like the vast vast majority of the motoring public would never do such a thing to a road car, and don't understand people that do.

A windmill made of solid titanium is still a windmill, and probably doesn't generate energy any better than a normal one.

Remember that nobody's saying the Lexus motor isn't a fantastic motor, or even that its not the best motor ever produced in a production car, we're just saying there are plenty of other engines out there that will last just as long, provided you aren't using rocket fuel...

Here is what car reviewers typically say about the Lincoln Town Car:

* Often sold at huge discounts from sticker price

* Depreciates rapidly

* Heavy rental fleet sales and delivery use undermine premium status of brand with consumers

If, in recent decades, the Lincoln Town car or any other American luxury car had been close to consistently delivering the powertrain reliability durability of a Toyota / Lexus then I think none of the above would be true.

Nor do I think the following be true of the stock prices of GM and Ford vs Toyota

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/GM.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/F.jpg

because Toyota would not have gained much market share if American cars were competitive in reliability and durability.

* Depreciates rapidly

* Heavy rental fleet sales and delivery use undermine premium status of brand with consumers

If, in recent decades, the Lincoln Town car or any other American luxury car had been close to consistently delivering the powertrain reliability durability of a Toyota / Lexus then I think none of the above would be true.

The first bullet is true, but not so much the second and third. Every Lincoln dealer I've seen advertises discounts of $10k-$12k off the sticker for the Town Car which brings the true price to about $30k. If they take $12k off the sticker without any hassel, I'm sure there is more $$ that can come off too. After you realize all of the discounts that the original buyer gets, they don't depreciate any quicker than most cars.

The image of a premium brand sounds like a personal problem for the buyer. The fact that Town Cars are used as limos and upscale airport transportation makes no difference to me and will not dissuade me from buying one. The same could be said about Lexus. I personally don't think that Lexus would be as successful as it is in the US had it been marketed under the Toyota name as it is in other countries. Who would pay $75k for a fully loaded Toyota Celsior in the US?? It's just like the VW Phaeton; I read it's a wonderful car, but who is going to pay $75k+ for a Volkswagon? Very few people.

* Depreciates rapidly

Nor do I think the following be true of the stock prices of GM and Ford vs Toyota

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/GM.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/F.jpg

because Toyota would not have gained much market share if American cars were competitive in reliability and durability.

Again, Monarch, nobody is saying the Lincoln Town Car is an equal to the Lexus LS in any way shape or form, we're simply saying that it too is a solid and reliable car. The evidence is everywhere, while they definately don't keep their composure as well with age as a Lexus, they still run and run well with hundreds of thousands of miles on their powertrains. Thats why they're used as Taxis, Police Cars, Limos etc. They're attractively priced and they run for a long time.

And you know, at least you would if you had any kind of knowledge about the world of business and finance, that Ford and GM's current fiscal status has more to do with pensions than it does with the quality of vehicles that they sell. Toyota runs a MUCH lower overhead than Ford or GM because they haven't been raped by the unions for the last 70 years.

Again, nobody's talking about American cars in general, simply the notion that "because its American, it doesn't last more than 100k miles" which is obviously not true.

We all know you go home and !Removed! to your Toyota service manuals every night, but have an open mind for once please.

Man, this thread has sparked up since last week. I totally agree with you Monarch! But what I was saying "or was thinking, but my fingers didn't follow on the keyboard" is what's better than two of the best engines ever built strapped next to eachother, working in harmony? Two Toyota 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engines, hummin' away!

As for the rest of this debate....I'm not even gonna touch it as I think everyone is in the right. I had an old roommate with a 92' Ford Mustang "we called it the Rustang" that had 130k miles on the 4 cylinder engine...and was on it's original, unadjusted clutch. Now granted you went over a bump and the thing sounded like it was about to rip apart at the ductaped hinges....but it did take one hell of a beating...

To each is his own I guess. I love the 5.7 350's with the tune-port injectors myself "Older Iroc's" for hellraising. But I'm a 32 year old Duke's of Hazzard fan..so take it as you see it. :cheers:

I think V8's in general are the most reliable engines out there for the simple fact that you don't have to strangle them to get up to speed = less wear and tear. You take a 4 banger, and it's eating up it's power-band all the time to get around which accelerates the wear.

To the contrary, Toyota built its worldwide reputation for durability based on the 600,000 mile capability of its high winding 4 cylinder engines. It has taken the Asian car makers 30 years to break down the MYTH established by American car makers that small sized high winding engines can't be extremely durable. Here are some Toyota 4 cylinder owner testimonials:

475,000 miles and running like a true champ:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/475.jpg

My own 4 cylinder Toyota pickup still running strong after 463,000 miles and still passing tough California smog tests with it's factory original catalytic coverter because the engine still has like new compression and minimal piston ring wear / blow by:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/463.jpg

Breaking in at 350,000 miles:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/350.jpg

345,000 mile Camry:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/345.jpg

297,000 mile Toyota MR2 sports car

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/297.jpg

The nos application is merely an illustration of the durability of the Lex V8 motor, I know you guys are not going to run nos on your cars, and also cannot speak intellegently about this subject as shown above. Ignorance is not bliss!!!. I read up on the lincoln motor in which you folks are all talking about and yes it is a good and solid motor but not an equal, and there are several reasons why. Which I care not to go into detail about, because I will be typing all day. Heat factors, block thickness, blueprinting, cams etc... Try again please!!!!! Is there a Lexus mechanic in the house?? No insults intended, just getting a little frusterated. Until anyone of you have stripped down and rebuilt the engines and know exactly the content of the internal parts you people are just speculating and that is it. That is all for me!!!!

The nos application is merely an illustration of the durability of the Lex V8 motor

Another illustration of the exceptional toughness and durability of even the Toyota 4 cylinder engines and transmissions is their ability to haul around a 6,500 pound Motorhome chassis for 100,000+ miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5829&indexURL=1

The nos application is merely an illustration of the durability of the Lex V8 motor, I know you guys are not going to run nos on your cars, and also cannot speak intellegently about this subject as shown above. Ignorance is not bliss!!!. I read up on the lincoln motor in which you folks are all talking about and yes it is a good and solid motor but not an equal, and there are several reasons why. Which I care not to go into detail about, because I will be typing all day. Heat factors, block thickness, blueprinting, cams etc... Try again please!!!!! Is there a Lexus mechanic in the house?? No insults intended, just getting a little frusterated. Until anyone of you have stripped down and rebuilt the engines and know exactly the content of the internal parts you people are just speculating and that is it. That is all for me!!!!

But everything you just said can be thrown right back at you. You've "done research" on the Lincoln engine, you haven't broken one down and rebuilt it and you're not a Lexus mechanic either. Whatever you're saying as far as comparing the two engines is just speculation also, by your definition you cannot speak intelligently about this toipic either.

Also, you continue to completely miss our point. Again, no one is saying the Lincoln motor is the equal of the Lexus motor, and nobody is even saying the Lexus motor is not the best motor ever built on God's green earth. All we're saying is that you don't have to buy a vehicle with a Lexus V8 to get one that will have few problems with the powertrain for 500k miles. Yes the Lexus motor may have tighter tolerances and better engineering, but other engines with "lesser" engineering can last just as long.

I don't claim to have any experience with these cars, or any cars, mechanically at all. However, I'm not stupid and I know if a powertrain can serve a vehicle for 700k miles with only routine maintenance, and that powertrain consistently delivers good performance under extreme abuse for hundreds of thousands of miles, its a quality powertrain.

Quality powertrains are everywhere and built by many different companies, including American ones. Even if the Lexus engine were made out of solid f'ing gold it wouldn't make that fact untrue.

Another illustration of the exceptional toughness and durability of even the Toyota 4 cylinder engines and transmissions is their ability to haul around a 6,500 pound Motorhome chassis for 100,000+ miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5829&indexURL=1

Many motorhomes can run a lot longer than that monarch, that proves nothing.....even with a 4 cyl engine. :rolleyes: That tells me it will be grossly underpowered. A vehicle with 100,000 miles is chump change in todays day & age. B)

Many motorhomes can run a lot longer than that monarch, that proves nothing.....even with a 4 cyl engine. :rolleyes: That tells me it will be grossly underpowered. A vehicle with 100,000 miles is chump change in todays day & age. B) :cheers:

It seems dangerous to me to have a motorhome powered by a tiny 4cyl gas engine. It seems like there would be a regulation on something like that...how are you going to merge that thing in to traffic? I suppose you could go WOT about 20 minutes before hand.

Ok a 100,000 miles is chump change if you maintain and change that oil in a newer engine. Four cylinder engines are good for saving gas that is it!!

For the other guy, I can speak intellegently about these topics because I know and understand engines, and yes I agree just that about any newer engine that you properly maintain should last a very long time. The point I was trying to make is simply that I believe the Lexus V8 motor can handle more wear, tear and stress then most if all other American v8 engines. That is it. Lincoln and others such as Hemi's, Trintons, Vortec's, etc... cannot handle the stress of nos and wear and tear as well and the 4.0L V8 lexus, that is my opinion and the opinion of other professional mechanics whom have seen and worked on all the above engines including your Lincolns. To handle more strength and stress usually means it is a stronger engine, so nos example does apply. So again, I know what I am saying and it is fact... I can't believe this thread is still going, time for a new subject.

How about transmittions? Would you agree most American transmittions fail before 200,000 miles especially if you tow, I am familiar with the th400, the beefed up Ford transmittions on Taxi's and Police vehicles and they can go 300,000 easy, I think it is safe to say the Lexus transmittion is a pretty good one compared to most, but I will not go out and say it is better then the lincoln with 700,000 miles or maybe a few others. What do you guys think of the Tranny's out there today?

Ok a 100,000 miles is chump change if you maintain and change that oil in a newer engine. Four cylinder engines are good for saving gas that is it!!

For the other guy, I can speak intellegently about these topics because I know and understand engines, and yes I agree just that about any newer engine that you properly maintain should last a very long time. The point I was trying to make is simply that I believe the Lexus V8 motor can handle more wear, tear and stress then most if all other American v8 engines. That is it. Lincoln and others such as Hemi's, Trintons, Vortec's, etc... cannot handle the stress of nos and wear and tear as well and the 4.0L V8 lexus, that is my opinion and the opinion of other professional mechanics whom have seen and worked on all the above engines including your Lincolns. To handle more strength and stress usually means it is a stronger engine, so nos example does apply. So again, I know what I am saying and it is fact... I can't believe this thread is still going, time for a new subject.

How about transmittions? Would you agree most American transmittions fail before 200,000 miles especially if you tow, I am familiar with the th400, the beefed up Ford transmittions on Taxi's and Police vehicles and they can go 300,000 easy, I think it is safe to say the Lexus transmittion is a pretty good one compared to most, but I will not go out and say it is better then the lincoln with 700,000 miles or maybe a few others. What do you guys think of the Tranny's out there today?

NOS is an aftermarket horsepower upgrade that most folks do to Japanese DOHC engines......I doubt many do that on an 'old fashioned' American V8 like a Lincoln (honestly who put's NOS on a Town Car?) :blink: , Hemi or a Chevy small block V8 for example & there are many different ways to get a HP boost in those engines so I'm not sure that is an apples to apples comparo to be honest...... but granted this thread has kind of derailed from my original posting.

Bottom line is that whatever vehicle one drives (at least the rule of thumb applies to vehicles that are exposed to harsh winter conditions like road salt etc) an engine & tranny (if maintained & driven properly as stated in a vehicles owners manual) should last the life of the car without any major rebuilds or replacements & the body of the vehicle should give out first. If one has to perform a major engine or tranny rebuild (there are exceptions to the rule....I know that) or replacement generally speaking.....something has been abused, neglected or both by the owner somewhere along the line. B)

De-railing is common on threads, so don't sweat it. Feel flattered it lasted this long that ususlly means it was an interesting thread. With all that said, I agree nos is not used or is practical on most vehicles, but the good old sc400 can easily handle nos with no problem. It's nice to be able to hit a button and get an instant 100-150hp, that will get the job done and enable you stay with the fastest of sports cars, and is just a fraction of the cost of airforced induction, such as a turbo or supercharger setup. I am trying to justify my nos how am I doing so far?

OK check this - Imagine your in your lincoln cruising and falling asleep in the comfort of a towncar and all of the sudden your wife is pregnant and her water burst and ruins your leather and the hospital is miles away what do you do? YOU HIT THE NOS!!!!!!!!!! Or if your to old and scared to hit the nos give the towncar to your youngest son and tell him I'm too old and scared to hit the nos, so son it is up to you to hit the nos and blow away the neighbors Porshce. You never know, it is a nice rush to get thrust back in your seat, try it you might like it!!! Fun time is over now, Happy New Years everyone!!!!!

As they shouldn't be since the Fords with the 4.6l are nowhere near as expensive as any Lexus with a V8, not even close!!!!!!! Let's see, $20k compared to $65k. My point is the Ford may not be as well put together, but that means nothing when there are so many of them still on the road with original mechanicals that have 300k+ on the odo.

Here's to Lexus supremacy!

Not.

Well talking from experience, I spent 15 years only working and building up American V8 engines, Small Block Chevy's mostly, then I owned a used car dealership for about 6 years. Have bought and sold and repaired just about every American car you can think of... and many high mile sc400 and ls400's. For some reason I always found myself repairing the American cars with high miles alot more then the Lexus's with high miles, and I wanted to find out why this was so.

Your experience is based on the repairs that you performed on cars that are on a used car lot? LOL Used car lot=we sell cheap, previously wrecked, unmaintained crap that any reputable person or dealer can't sell with good conscience. A used car lot is undoubtedly a great place to collect data!! :lol:

BURN!

alternators go out, trannys fail, electrical issues happen

You still havent listed a failure related to the engine. engine problem, i consider is:

Rod, Piston, Piston rings, valvetrain, gaskets, bearings and seals, cams inside the motor. a tranny is not part fo the engine, niehter is the laternator, nor the fuel pump, nor is anything else ON the engine.

you wanna talk about american 4 cylinder longevity? the Ford 2.0L Zetec and ow the 2.3L Duratec are some of the BEST 4 cylinders on the road. I have one now with nearly 70K miels that i use the entire powerband on at least once a day and i have had no issues. the 4 cylinder is still smooth as silk. Its a 2002 model with VCT, and its modded, so ill give you the fact that i may have fixed the deficiencies throuhg headwork.

so then how do you explain my 1995 ford Contour? same motor, same tranny (MTX-75 5speed) and 384,994 miles on it when i totalled it. the ONLY THINGs I EVER REPLACED ON THAT CAR WAS A CLUTCH. ONE time at 275K, and a transmission mount at that same time (cause i broke it removing the transaxle).

I have worked on cars nearly my whole life and i still have not seen ANY reliable data that american ENGINES are more reliable than Japanese ones. I dont usually hear about stock mustangs throwing rods. Ill give you, Japaense cars on the whole (with the excetion f one that i can name on request) are more relaible, i havent seen any data to show me my ford 4 cylinder will through a rod or burn a piston ring faster than a toyota will. i just havent seen it. and i have been around cars since i was born, and worked on them since i was 5 (thanks to my dad).

as for cars like contours, there is a reason millions of them were destined for rental car lots and fleet markets, its because they are low maintenance cars that will last quite a while. and they are cheap so if anything serious does go wrong, they are easily replaced/repaired.

as for the lincons and crown vics with over 700K, seen it many times, NYC taxi's get more miles put on them than any other cars. eberyting else might be falling apart, but the powertrains are still going strong with years of neglect and incompetence behind the wheel. you cant argue with that.

EDIT: i just thought of something, i have seen ALOT more japanese motors running around puffing blue smoke than i have american ones. honda civics, Nissan 300ZX's, toyot camrys and early Lexus ES's. even an LS or 2 when i lived in texas.

never saw a cavalier do it (sadlyenough), or a contour...did see a neon do it once.

Edited by ArmyofOne