Phew! Sigh Of Relief!

ArmyofOne

I found out some incredibly good news today, the Army doesnt use salt on the roads on base, due to the enormous increase in maintenance costs on GOV's and Humvees and HEMMTT's and other tactical vehciles that woudl result from using salt. they simply use sand here, eats alot less at the cars. this is a good thing.on another note, im acqiuring a second car, its a 1995 Chevy Corsica. Its BEAT TO HELL, but it runs good. its being given to me. its not worth anything, the interior is all torn up, i mean for real this is a car for that show Pimp my ride or something. its red with 230K miles on it. but it will serve as a good car to drive when i have to go off post, s the salt doesnt eat my new one alive.

How does this interest anyone here with a Lexus?

It doesnt, but i am bored, and dont get to get online much, so i figured i would update people on how im doing. there are a select few here who actually care.

sorry.

How does this interest anyone here with a Lexus?

Army's a longtime member here and I personally see nothing wrong with him continuing to post and be a member of the community, Lexus or not.

First of all no need to be sorry army you did nothing wrong against some mysterious rule or not.

Personally it is not because he sold the car or owns a pinto or otherwise.

Army is more than welcome to post and add his own personal insights to a discussion as he sees fit.

My point of posting was not to point a finger at Army but to pose a question.

But as of late what is the point of people makeing a personal diary of there lives including going to school , washing there cars , getting up in the morning and other completely monotonous plights of there daily lives.

If every single day every member got up went to there computer and posted about they had a dream of a dragon and princess Leigha would that benefit anyone? How many pages of side discussions would there be?

Does it in anyway serve a purpose?

How many pages would a member be sifting through to get to a pertinent answer. Now this is in general discussions so anything does go.

My side of the coin is the last time i checked the people i wanted to speak to i picked up the phone and shot the sky with them.

Now i am putting this out there as i have views very different from many people in the world and i know that. At this point i would like to hear the pros and cons of what this post and others like it have to do to help a "CAR" based community. We don't have a chat room , do does that mean we need one?

I don't go to chat rooms , i don't surf with a tub of Vaseline beside me. I use the computer as a tool .It is the greatest resource in the world for info. Problem to me is to many start to rely on this medium as a voice or an actual companion.The real world has real people with real fun and issues.

I spend way too much time looking at this screen on this site alone hopefully to further the Lexus community and the aftermarket.

Why would anyone want to invest more time asking questions of little to no consequence.

Maybe we need 2 general discussions one for Automotive related and the other for personal.

LOL, interesting point.

I personally don't have a problem with people posting threads about personal experiences in here. I think it helps to foster a sense of community. I don't have to read every thread in here and nor do I try. Maybe there is merit to the idea of having two forums, and I definately like the idea of a chatroom.

What does everybody else think?

Both sides have valid points. Many of us have used this forum in the past for sharing and gleaning information on subjects other than vehicles. Recent topics that I participated in include the stock market, bathroom tile, and HVAC systems. We all have various levels of expertise on many different subjects that can benefit members of this forum, and that's good. But when threads turn to idle chatter between bored participants, it wastes server space (and therefore money) as SKPerformance has appropriately pointed out in the past. Like it or not, he's correct about that point.

I think the answer can be found somewhere in the middle. Feel free to post when you are offering valid information that may benefit someone else, but keep the idle chatter to a minimum. By following those guidelines, information can be freely exchanged while wasted time and space is held to a minimum.

If it is decided that a chatroom is desired for those who like to spend their time that way, keep it out of the specific forums so the vast majority of the members won't have to deal with it.

Both sides have valid points.  Many of us have used this forum in the past for sharing and gleaning information on subjects other than vehicles.  Recent topics that I participated in include the stock market, bathroom tile, and HVAC systems.  We all have various levels of expertise on many different subjects that can benefit members of this forum, and that's good.  But when threads turn to idle chatter between bored participants, it wastes server space (and therefore money) as SKPerformance has appropriately pointed out in the past.  Like it or not, he's correct about that point.

I think the answer can be found somewhere in the middle.  Feel free to post when you are offering valid information that may benefit someone else, but keep the idle chatter to a minimum.  By following those guidelines, information can be freely exchanged while wasted time and space is held to a minimum.

If it is decided that a chatroom is desired for those who like to spend their time that way, keep it out of the specific forums so the vast majority of the members won't have to deal with it.

This is the general forum. If someone is in here trying to find out why he has a CEL or why his battery keeps croaking, I'd suggest he's in the wrong place.

ArmyofOne is in the service of our country. He's away from home for the first time on his own. He considers most of us as his friends. Cut the guy some *BLEEP*ing slack. :(

Both sides have valid points.  Many of us have used this forum in the past for sharing and gleaning information on subjects other than vehicles.  Recent topics that I participated in include the stock market, bathroom tile, and HVAC systems.  We all have various levels of expertise on many different subjects that can benefit members of this forum, and that's good.  But when threads turn to idle chatter between bored participants, it wastes server space (and therefore money) as SKPerformance has appropriately pointed out in the past.  Like it or not, he's correct about that point.

I think the answer can be found somewhere in the middle.  Feel free to post when you are offering valid information that may benefit someone else, but keep the idle chatter to a minimum.  By following those guidelines, information can be freely exchanged while wasted time and space is held to a minimum.

Use the PM system for chat, Don't make chat public.

Use the General discussions for short and interesting topics.

Keep everything else related to our cars.

There are instant messengers that can be used for chat, There are also many chat rooms available for those that choose to do so. Keep this forum just the way it is.

AMEN

Near as I can tell this is the general forum/general discussion. :cheers:

i think anything should be discussed in the general discussion forum, it says nothing about general car discussions. ARMY was off th board for a minute and now hes back, hes doing what alot of uswouldnt even consider at this point and time and could be called to risk his life on foreign soil at ANY given moment so i think he earns himself alot of leeway

I found out some incredibly good news today, the Army doesnt use salt on the roads on base, due to the enormous increase in maintenance costs on GOV's and Humvees and HEMMTT's and other tactical vehciles that woudl result from using salt.  they simply use sand here, eats alot less at the cars.  this is a good thing.on another note, im acqiuring a second car, its a 1995 Chevy Corsica.  Its BEAT TO HELL, but it runs good.  its being given to me.  its not worth anything, the interior is all torn up, i mean for real this is a car for that show Pimp my ride or something.  its red with 230K miles on it.  but it will serve as a good car to drive when i have to go off post, s the salt doesnt eat my new one alive.

ArmyofOne, I understand what you mean about the salt vs. sand , Here in minnesalta, Salt is all that's used here on the roads in winter. Those maintenance costs are our tax dollars so if there is a way to save $ That's good. 230k on a corsica is unheard of got to be a hunk of junk. Your new car has probably seen enough salt in it's life and it wouldn't make any difference if it saw more. Glad you keep us up to date on the life and times of " A SOLDIER, A FRIEND, A MAN, A HUMAN " And a previous LEXUS owner and soon to be another. Stay alive and keep us posted. :cheers:

As far as I'm concerned this is the general discussion forum. Its purpose is off topic discussions so posters and their topics in relation to cars is really a moot point because the topic of this forum is not neccisarily cars.

This is a car board yes, but its also a community. I can name several members here that I enjoy talking to about a wide variety of subjects. Our relationships can't grow without allowing discussion that is not centered around the topic of cars.

Not to slight anyone who posted in this thread or make them think their input isn't valued, but it seems to me like the members who posted who took issue with off topic postings don't actually participate in this particular forum anyways.

I think its a situation where if a specific forum or a specific topic doesn't interest you, its best to just not read it.

Snow sucks, move south, end of discussion!

ROTFLMAO!

This is the second in a seires of threads that got off track and fairly well makes us all look retarded LoL!

Let's just change to Lexonda Owners Club! Seriously! :D :lol::lol::lol:

bawahahahahahahahaha

Lets keep a calm and respectful discussion calm and respectful, shall we?

I agree. I think we know what the general consensus is. The sense of community on LOC is what makes it different for me.... Maybe you should close the thread before tempers flare..... Just my two cents....