And Off I Go

ArmyofOne

To start life! I have a major credit card with a good credit history, I have been paying bills for a while now, but i have never lived more than 5 miles from mom and dad. I'm leaving the comfort of home and everything I know so well to make my start in another state. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I fly out at 4 pm, but i will check CL from my phone (I think i can do that!? :unsure: ) so here goes. I'm off to start my Career and my life. wish me luck! I wont be able to check back for about a week or so probably. I'm now changing my location, from texas to Ft. Drum NY!

P.S. In case you cant tell...I'm kinda nervous! :ph34r:

To start life! I have a major credit card with a good credit history, I have been paying bills for a while now, but i have never lived more than 5 miles from mom and dad. I'm leaving the comfort of home and everything I know so well to make my start in another state. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I fly out at 4 pm, but i will check CL from my phone (I think i can do that!?  :unsure:   ) so here goes. I'm off to start my Career and my life. wish me luck! I wont be able to check back for about a week or so probably. I'm now changing my location, from texas to Ft. Drum NY!

P.S.  In case you cant tell...I'm kinda nervous! :ph34r:

ArmyofOne, Life is a journey, Enjoy the experience, Your not nervous your excited to get on with it. Take pictures, Create memories, Share your experiences, Never be intimidated by anything, God is always with you, And your country stands behind you. Enjoy Life, For it may not be here tommorrow. :cheers:

Good luck AO1 - Get ready for cold weather. I went to colleg in Oswego, not too far from Camp Drum and it will be cold. Buy your snow tires early, I have seen it snow there in early October and late May.

Oh please...

How on earth is bad credit a good thing?

No joke. Your credit score controls everything from your interest rate on a new car to your ability to purchase a home. Your insurance rates are linked to your credit score as well. Having bad credit will cost you a lot more money when you go to pay for things.

Thankyou for your service to our country. I too, as many millions before you have been in the same boat. Enjoy the experience, someday you will look back and even though there may have been bad, you will fondly remember the good times and the people that you will meet. Try not to put in for a place near home or you will loose the opertunity of a lifetime, to travel, and meet new people and possibly in other countries. It is an enrichment to your worldly knowledge and I personally will never forget. When you are young it is hard to get that perspective, but trust me you will be more rounded and a better man for it. My son too followed your steps and I am very proud of him. I hope you get the same support in your journey through life. God Bless

P.S.  In case you cant tell...I'm kinda nervous! :ph34r:

No need to be nervous, you'll do just fine! It may be a little nerve racking now, but it's got to be pretty damn exciting at the same time! Have fun, stay safe, and dress warm! lol

The good credit is great - however bad credit is a good thing, also.  It will keep you from going deeper in debt. 

Oh please...

How on earth is bad credit a good thing?

It's just a figure of speech. I think he's just conveying that Josh should use his good credit wisely, and if he doesn't, he'd wish he had bad credit in the first place so that he didn't succome to the temptation of the MC in his wallet! lol

Thankyou for your service to our country.  I too, as many millions before you have been in the same boat.  Enjoy the experience, someday you will look back and even though there may have been bad, you will fondly remember the good times and the people that you will meet.  Try not to put in for a place near home or you will loose the opertunity of a lifetime, to travel, and meet new people and possibly in other countries.  It is an enrichment to your worldly knowledge and I personally will never forget.  When you are young it is hard to get that perspective, but trust me you will be more rounded and a better man for it.  My son too followed your steps and I am very proud of him.  I hope you get the same support in your journey through life.  God Bless

Wow, well said! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

I apologize for the late reply. With the leadership you provide this great websight, I give you much respect. However, I must say about the "bad credit" post I made that I have much experience with buying to much "stuff" with no money to pay for it. Credit cards have ruined millions of hard working Americans in the last 3-4 decades. I learned to live without them many, many years ago. If a person cannot receive a credit card in today's society, it is definately a GOOD thing - less credit + bad credit = SLEEP AT NIGHT !! I owe no one nothing except for my home (15 yrs. not 30 yrs.) and a '02 Explorer at 0% interest for 48 months.

Please forgive me for getting upon my soapbox, it's just that I thoroughly believe that consumer debt (stuff, stuff, stuff) will eventually ruin this nation as a whole.

Josh....you're starting your own chapter in life. Some chapters will be better than others. But, they will all be yours. The neat thing about heading out on your own is that you'll soon realize you have built a wealth of life experiences that you, and only you can claim as yours. Get er' done! Post up when you can amigo! :cheers:

Ford, I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm guessing it has nothing to do with lending or banking ;) Bad credit has no benefits. It can even prevent you from getting that job you've been working so hard for. Especially if it's in the finance sector, because an applicant's personal credit history is pulled during the investigation process of an employer. It is seen as a test of character from an employer to possible employee. If you can't pay your bills, have a collection agency on you for your cell phone bill, or racked up a ton of debt right before you filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy to get out of paying for it...well...you probably won't be getting hired for certain jobs. I know mine was checked, and continues to be checked on an annual basis by my employer. I am a commercial real estate lender for a $1.6 billion dollar institution. I'm 32 years old, and my signature alone has the loan approval limit of $200,000. I wouldn't have this job, or even be in this career field if I had bad credit. You can screw up a lot of things in life and survive..But !Removed! up your credit will do nothing but make life's journey that much harder, and expensive. And if you have a family or others who depend on you to provide....well...they can pay for it too.

Just my $2 cents.....on credit ;)

And as a realtor myself I can tell you, bad credit is never a good thing.

Consumer credit isn't a bad thing either, ABUSE of consumer credit is a bad thing. If you use no credit you can get no credit. Believe it or not, most Americans manage their credit pretty effectively.

Without consumer credit when you want to go buy a house (something almost no one can purchase outright) they'll have to get into establishing alternative credit and charging you a higher interest rate or worse you won't be able to get a loan. I don't think you believe renting (also something you can't do without credit) is a more worthwhile expediture than owning a home do you?

Credit is a neccisary thing for individuals and businesses. As long as you're smart with it, its not a problem. Saying everyone who has credit will abuse it is like saying everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, its just not true. I can appreciate that you've had issues with spending in the past and this is how you've conquored them but to say "credit is bad and not neccisary" is a very untrue statement, and saying "bad credit is good" is total lunacy. Bad credit makes doing everything in your life harder. Makes it harder to buy houses, get utilities, get insurance, get jobs. Just plain a bad thing.

In fact, there's only one thing bad credit is better than, and thats no credit.

Advise on use of credit cards:

Only charge for things that you can pay for immediately when the statement is due. Forget about "minimum" payments. That's the way to get into BIG trouble.

If you have a BIG purchase, figure out how to switch the payments over to more interest friendly vehicles BEFORE you purchase. I actually buy all my Lexus cars using credit cards, because we get a cash back and travel miles. 2% back on a $48k purchase is pretty neat - almost a grand. :cheers: Then we pay it off on the first statement. Free money or benies that way.

So, use your credit wisely. Build a good history by PAYING on time. That is the real key. A late payment is death to good credit.

Lexus of Bellevue. Actually, I miss-spoke. My wife corrected me. :wacko: They only allowed us to put the down payment on the VISA, up to our credit limit (which is no where close to the total price). But it did get us 2% back on the down. Sorry about that. She handled the transaction. :D