Mechanic Trust Issue

94LexusES

When i bought my 94 lexus es, the odometer wasn't working. The person who i bought it from was a mechanic, and he promised me there was only around 90,000 miles on it, and he'd fix it next time we brought the car to him. About 2 weeks later, the odometer somehow worked and read 183,000 miles (ouch). we called him and he was irate, saying it was B.S. We brought the car to him, and free of charge he fixed the computer deal in it, saying that was the problem, the gasket leak, replaced my steering wheel pad (he took one off of another lexus to put it on mine, he owns a dealership also) all free of charge. The odometer now reads 92,000 miles and he claims and promises to god that it was a computer malfunction. Now i have to get the title mileage changed.

Should i believe him? Hes a really nice guy, but im not sure.

Too late for research.

Just Enjoy !!!

Are there any stickers under the hood or on the door jambs that say if oil was changed or timing belt change , AC work etc... at a certain milage? You can have a LEXUS dealer run the vin# to see what there records bring up. Good luck and keep us posted.

When I do the math here the odds add up to the car having the HIGHER mileage. In 6 years it racked up 80k miles, and now 5 years later it has only 12k more? No, it sounds like the odometer is correct and the mechanic has a short memory?

The mechanic was the owner of the car since 2000. Other than that there was only 1 other owner. The mechanic who i bought it from (used to be the owner) never registered it because he owns a dealership. He just put temp tags on it, instead of paying insurance.

Anyway im thinking the 77,000 miles was put on before the mechanic got the car. Hes very nice but i dont know him that well. I was just wondering, the car runs great (obviously) so i'll just take his word for it.

Not directly :whistles:

NO 94lex ....nobody did call you stupid period.

If you feel by LF giving you a thought to check is calling you stupid then you need to give your head a shake because everyone in this thread is doing that then.

If you ran the carfax then why did you not post that info as part of your already done investigating.

He just put temp tags on it, instead of paying insurance.

If he was shady enough to do this...:whistles:

I don't think that is shady in and of itself..........I think it is common practice for many used car dealers to do this.

But, I personally think that they (used car salesman) are shady bunch anyway.

sk, you beat me to the post.

I was going to respond to 94LexusES' post of: Not directly with Not indirectly either!

94LexusES: if you like the car and and it runs great then keep it. Have the mechanic stand behind his work. Have him get the title changed and then turn it over to you. Make him stand behind what he is selling. In addition to the lexus vehicle history check out you state safety/emission inspections. They may have record of mileage when and if the car was inspected.

My question is: how can a digital odemeter read one mileage then another and then read a third. I thought they were sealed units.

steviej

I meant Im not stupid to the fact where i didn't do a carfax report. I never said someone said "Your Stupid". Geeze.

steviej: When the timing belt was put on it supposedly somehow shorted out the digital odo. It only read TRIP A, when it didnt work. Then it changed to 183,000 miles. Which he says is incorrect.

About 2 weeks later, the odometer somehow worked and read 183,000 miles (ouch). we called him and he was irate, saying it was B.S. We brought the car to him, and free of charge he fixed the computer deal in it, saying that was the problem, .................The odometer now reads 92,000 miles and he claims and promises to god that it was a computer malfunction.

I understand your situtation, my guestion was rhetorical, I thought digital odometers were tamper resistent. I was just wondering how did he changed it back?

The bottom line is you have to get him to get you the title change, put the responsibility on the mechanic because he is the one that changed the odometer. Doesn't matter if it is the right reading or the wrong reading, he sold you a car with a reading on the odemeter that he is standing by. Have him produce a title reflecting the odemeter reading that he stands behind. If he won't, request that he give you your money back and notify the registry if he won't. If he will produce a title with the correct mileage, then I would say you could trust him.

steviej

Im not stupid lexusfreak, i ran a carfax before i bought it. it had 77,000 miles in 2000. the timing belt was just changed not even a month ago.same with an oil change. i know that the belts go at around 70,000 miles.

I wasen't suggesting or implying you were in anyway stupid 94! Take it easy, :chairshot: were simply trying to give you different ideas in order to help :rolleyes:

You never stated in your original post that you had a car fax done.....in the future perhaps give us all relevant information so we know which avenues have & haven't been covered! Snarky remarks are not appreciated when asking other members for assistance.

Thanks guys ;)