2001ls430 Or 98ls400

Kennyr

I'm looking to upgrade my 91 but is the 01 really any nicer a ride than a 98, other than the look? Seems like a lot of extra cash. Is there anyone who went from a 98, 99, or 2000 to a 01, 02 or 03? Please just replies with personal experience in these model years.

Personally I think the ride and drive is pretty similar. The LS430 has a nicer and more modern interior, the LS430's navigation is also DVD and updatable while the 98s is hard drive and no longer updatable if thats important to you. The 430 is also larger.

As for style, I think the 98 is much better looking than the 01-03 LS430 personally.

Run a search, there was a huge thread some months ago that compared the two in depth.

I agree with Steve. I think personally I would own a 98-00 LS than an 01-03. The 01-03 models seemed too round if that makes sense? I like the sharper figures of the older ones and I really dont like the red needle's that came with all the insturmentation in the cluster. I woudl try and find a lower mileage 98-00.

thanks

Personally I think the ride and drive is pretty similar. The LS430 has a nicer and more modern interior, the LS430's navigation is also DVD and updatable while the 98s is hard drive and no longer updatable if thats important to you. The 430 is also larger.

As for style, I think the 98 is much better looking than the 01-03 LS430 personally.

Run a search, there was a huge thread some months ago that compared the two in depth.

Could have said it any better.

Exterior - '98-'00

Interior - '01-05

Even though you spend more time inside the car something in me still likes the '98-'00 better. It was the pinnacle of that body style perfected and refined over 10+ years. You can't go wrong and you'll be able to pocket the extra $8K.

Coming from a '91 that will be a huge step up. You can always jump the LS430 hurdle later once the '07 comes out and the current models lose more of their value.

I agree with branshew 100%. That's what I'm doing with my 95, gonna drive it until I can get a 430 for around $14k, like I did with this one.

Im going to drive them both and if I like the 01 that much better I will just wait a couple years and get one cheaper. Thanks for your thoughts. Its not like I'm getting hurt driving my perfect 91. After 5 years I usually get bored with a car. Not bored enough to spend 30K though.

I had a 1990 LS, a 98 LS, my son has an 03 LS, and i currently have an 05 LS.

honestly, i think the 98's are better built than the 01 and newer LS's. The 2001 is bigger, roomier and more luxurious on the interior, but i don't think it's built as well as the older gen. LS's. In 04 they changed those red needles to white; which makes it much nicer. They also re-did the headlights to projector and the taillights were changed to LED's as well. I wouldn't spend that much for an 01 LS. The 05 LS is great though.

The 98 LS400 is a great choise, just make sure you get one with low mileage and all service history etc.