Hid Lights Worth The Extra $650?

tealboy

I saw a post that said something about the HID lights not being that great, and that the driver was outrunning them at higher speeds. What are your feelings about the HID lights? they are not an inexpensive option, though i like the way they look. What are the pros/cons of them and are they worth the extra money?

thx

On a new vehicle? $650 on a $42,000 vehicle isn't inexpensive? Definately get them on a new vehicle. Retrofit into an old one? I'd pass.

I love the HID lights and hate driving a car without them. They come pointed down a little from the factory making it easier to overdrive them, but thats easily corrected.

In the new issue of Consumer Reports it says that the HID headlights on the '06 GS " don't illuminate far enough ahead ". It also gives a thumbs-down on the HID headlights on the '06 Infinity M35. It states that " the new GS300 is refined, but it's NOT the luxury sports sedan Lexus pitches ". The new '06 Avalon is basically the SAME car, gets better mileage, has a bigger engine, and costs about $20,000 LESS! Are HID headlights worth it? I doubt it!

Hmmmm....

Central FL....

The older we get the poorer our eyesight becomes, mostly we lose sight sensitivity to color. HID's, having a much wider light spectrum tend to help our night vision dramatically.

And yes, they have a rather sharp forward cutoff, that's to prevent them from inadvertently blinding oncoming drivers.

If you're like me, 65+, you don't much like driving at night anyway, certainly not at a speed that over-runs our vision (leave that to the younger set that still believes in immortality).

On a new vehicle? $650 on a $42,000 vehicle isn't inexpensive? Definately get them on a new vehicle. Retrofit into an old one? I'd pass.

I love the HID lights and hate driving a car without them. They come pointed down a little from the factory making it easier to overdrive them, but thats easily corrected.

Easily corrected as in manual adjustment???

They're the best thing to come along in a long time!!! I won't drive another car without them!!

Yeah - they seem to come from the factory aimed a little too low. All I did was go back to the dealer and told them (insisted even!) that they raise the aim. It doesn't take long at all.

If you look in your manual there is a page showing / describing this adjustment.

Prior to the re-adjustment, they were pretty anoying! You could easily "out run" them forcing you to slow down. Kinda like driving off a cliff!

Once re-adjusted they're fantastic!

The light output on HIDs is nicer than the Halogens. One thing to consider. Many cars that come equiped with HIDs have an auto-leveling system. If you ever change your mind about HIDs and want to add it later, even if it is the OEM part, you will have to pay much more than $650. If you want the auto-leveling retrofitted (additional sensors and lots of wiring), it will be MUCH more than $650.

In the new issue of Consumer Reports it says that the HID headlights on the '06 GS  " don't illuminate far enough ahead ".  It also gives a thumbs-down on the HID headlights on the '06 Infinity M35.  It states that " the new GS300 is refined, but it's NOT the luxury sports sedan Lexus pitches ".  The new '06 Avalon is basically the SAME car,  gets better mileage, has a bigger engine, and costs about $20,000 LESS!  Are HID headlights worth it?  I doubt it!

Who told you the Avalon is basically the same car as the GS300?!? It is a totally different car. If the Avalon is similar to any Lexus its the ES330 as its built on a stretched FWD Camry platform. The GS300 is on the Aristo RWD platform. The HP advantage of the Avalon is lost in the FWD. The GS300 is a much nicer car than the Avalon.

As for the HID lights, they are tilted down slightly from the factory. Like I said they can be adjusted back up. Whether you need to have the dealer do it or not depends on your handiness and your model. The dealer did mine.

I love my factory HID's........& the automatic level control is neat too.  B)

:cheers:

the auto-leveling is the coolest thing!!

Especially at night when you're parked infront of a building etc. When you turn the car on, the beam goes down, up and centers. You'll have everybody watching LOL

In the new issue of Consumer Reports it says that the HID headlights on the '06 GS  " don't illuminate far enough ahead ".  It also gives a thumbs-down on the HID headlights on the '06 Infinity M35.  It states that " the new GS300 is refined, but it's NOT the luxury sports sedan Lexus pitches ".  The new '06 Avalon is basically the SAME car,  gets better mileage, has a bigger engine, and costs about $20,000 LESS!  Are HID headlights worth it?  I doubt it!

Who told you the Avalon is basically the same car as the GS300?!? It is a totally different car. If the Avalon is similar to any Lexus its the ES330 as its built on a stretched FWD Camry platform. The GS300 is on the Aristo RWD platform. The HP advantage of the Avalon is lost in the FWD. The GS300 is a much nicer car than the Avalon.

As for the HID lights, they are tilted down slightly from the factory. Like I said they can be adjusted back up. Whether you need to have the dealer do it or not depends on your handiness and your model. The dealer did mine.

i think he is refering to da latest toyota avalon that is awd, 3.5L vvti 280hp and HID that can out run any es330, and probably gs300 for much lower cost.

FYI, there is no AWD availiable on the Avalon, and its 0-60 times aren't much better than the GS300.

Anyways a Lexus isn't about speed, and the GS is simply an entirely different vehicle than the Avalon with a much different buyer. I've driven the Avalon and wouldn't trade my ES300 for it, let alone a 2006 GS300. Its nice, but its more like a Buick than it is a Lexus.

Unfortunately, all HID headlights are not created equal. How well they work depends on lots of design variables. One suggestion is to check auto or consumer magazines that include ratings on headlights. Consumer Reports, for example, typically rates headlights when they road test cars.

I distinctly remember when, a few years ago, a magazine road test found that the halogen headlights on an inexpensive Mazda Protege out performed HID systems on many other (expensive) cars.

Personally I find the lighter color (ultra white) of HID more pleasant to drive behind than the more yellowish light of halogens. And I usually have fewer problems coping with glare from on-coming cars with HID except for some, like some Acuras and American cars, that do not have autoleveling lights.

i think he is refering to da latest toyota avalon that is awd, 3.5L vvti 280hp and HID that can out run any es330, and probably gs300 for much lower cost.

According to Consumer Report [ Sept. '05 ] the differences between the '06 GS300 and the '06 Avalon are as follows: the Avalon is 7" longer, 3" wider, 2" taller, GS--3.0 engine, 245 HP, Avalon--3.5 engine, 280 HP, Avalon is over half a second quicker to 60 MPH, quicker in the 1/4 mile, has MORE front shoulder room, MORE front leg room, MORE front head room, MORE rear shoulder room, MORE rear leg room, MORE rear head room, better headlights, has a FULL-SIZED spare tire, gets BETTER fuel economy and uses REGULAR fuel, and costs about $20,000 LESS. You tell me which vehicle comes CLOSER to being a CAMRY ! Oh, I forgot about the great Lexus service at a fair price AND the free loaner cars !

According to Consumer Report [ Sept. '05 ] the differences between the '06 GS300 and the '06 Avalon are as follows: the Avalon is 7" longer, 3" wider, 2" taller, GS--3.0 engine, 245 HP, Avalon--3.5 engine, 280 HP, Avalon is over half a second quicker to 60 MPH, quicker in the 1/4 mile, has MORE front shoulder room, MORE front leg room, MORE front head room, MORE rear shoulder room, MORE rear leg room, MORE rear head room, better headlights, has a FULL-SIZED spare tire, gets BETTER fuel economy and uses REGULAR fuel, and costs about $20,000 LESS. You tell me which vehicle comes CLOSER to being a CAMRY ! Oh, I forgot about the great Lexus service at a fair price AND the free loaner cars !

SW03ES-----------Is the GS300/Avalon discussion over already?

LOL, sorry for making you wait. I've got this whole career/life/family thing going on.

You can discuss the variables of the two vehicles and which one you like better all you want, but they are NOT the same car. You can make the same arguments about a BMW 530i vs. a Buick LeSabre, and they have literally about as much in common as a GS300 and an Avalon. Actually, they have exactly the same things in common because each vehicle is a good counterpart, GS300/530i and LeSabre/Avalon.

I'm not saying the Avalon isn't a great car, but it is not the same or even a similar car to a GS300. The Avalon is a FWD softly sprung touring car meant for older buyers who will most likely cross shop Buicks or Lincoln Town Cars. The GS300 is a RWD or AWD sports sedan that is aimed at buyers of BMW 5's, Mercedes E's, Cadillac STS' etc. Two totally different cars in two totally different market segments. If you think the Avalon is "better" because its larger then you've totally missed the whole fact that the GS300 is a sports sedan its not meant to be the same size as an Avalon.

If you think the Avalon is a better vehicle for you, thats great for you. The two cars are not comparable though.

And FYI, the GS300 doesn't have a full sized spare because it doesn't need a spare at all, it has run flat tires. Thats three huge errors you've made about the vehicles already, I think you need to do some more research into these cars, maybe drive them...or maybe even see them in person...or verify the specifications on them at least, before having a discussion like this.

My brother in-law is looking into getting one of the new Avalons. He currently has a 2004 ES330 (low end) and his lease ends this December. He leased an 02 GS430 before that.

I tried to tell him that the avalon is nothing like the ES but he insists its just a less expensive Lexus.

These were his exact words LOL...."it's the same thing as a Lexus, its just a hell of a lot cheaper than that "boat." He referrs the ES as a boat for some reason.

This is what his wife said in her exact words..."It's the same as your GS"

Oh well LOL

LOL, sorry for making you wait. I've got this whole career/life/family thing going on.

You can discuss the variables of the two vehicles and which one you like better all you want, but they are NOT the same car. You can make the same arguments about a BMW 530i vs. a Buick LeSabre, and they have literally about as much in common as a GS300 and an Avalon. Actually, they have exactly the same things in common because each vehicle is a good counterpart, GS300/530i and LeSabre/Avalon.

I'm not saying the Avalon isn't a great car, but it is not the same or even a similar car to a GS300. The Avalon is a FWD softly sprung touring car meant for older buyers who will most likely cross shop Buicks or Lincoln Town Cars. The GS300 is a RWD or AWD sports sedan that is aimed at buyers of BMW 5's, Mercedes E's, Cadillac STS' etc. Two totally different cars in two totally different market segments. If you think the Avalon is "better" because its larger then you've totally missed the whole fact that the GS300 is a sports sedan its not meant to be the same size as an Avalon.

If you think the Avalon is a better vehicle for you, thats great for you. The two cars are not comparable though.

And FYI, the GS300 doesn't have a full sized spare because it doesn't need a spare at all, it has run flat tires. Thats three huge errors you've made about the vehicles already, I think you need to do some more research into these cars, maybe drive them...or maybe even see them in person...or verify the specifications on them at least, before having a discussion like this.

SW03ES--------All of the specs I've used in this discussion are right out of Consumer Reports. You're correct about the market that Lexus is courting with the '06 GS. I haven't driven an '06 GS, just sat in one. I'm afraid to drive one for the reasons you've given above. The GS430 is the car of choice as far as I'm concerned. Except for the MB CLS500 it's probably one of the best looking cars to come along in years!

And none of the specs are wrong at all. Its all what you're looking for in a vehicle, if you want the attributes an Avalon posesses than its the car for you, if you want the attributes a GS300 posesses then its the car for you, the two cars aren't for the same person.

If you want the sporty nature but not neccisarily the power, thats why the GS300 exists. There's nothing sporty about an Avalon.

Lex- If he thinks the ES330 is a boat he needs to go test drive an Avalon LOL. The Avalon actually isn't any cheaper than the ES330 really, just different.

But, people who cannot afford a Lexus, either in finances or in mindset, will say things like that to rationalize the differences in the vehicles. As far as a lease is concerned the ES330 would probably be cheaper to lease than an Avalon anyways. My ES300 was only about $500 a month with extra mileage and its a fully loaded model, actually very affordable. I can't imagine the Avalon, having lower resale, would be any cheaper to lease fully equipped.

I have a co-worker who leases a 2002 ES300 and we were discussing how inexpensive they actually are to lease. Its like he said "Anyone really could drive one of these, and its so much car for the money" and it is.

The Avalon may have all the toys, but its not as well assembled, as elegant, or as refined as any Lexus. The tolerances just aren't the same.

Lex- If he thinks the ES330 is a boat he needs to go test drive an Avalon LOL. The Avalon actually isn't any cheaper than the ES330 really, just different.

For some reason he thinks the Avalon is more for the buck than the Lexus is. He went to look at the Avalons and saw one with NAV for $37,xxx. He thinks that's good. An ES with nav will probably be around $38-39k. He thinks since the avalon is bigger, it is a good deal because it's less $$$ than the ES.

Maybe he never saw the sticker for his ES, i don't know...He's extremely cheap!!

ES' with nav are around $37k before discounts. The last time an ES with nav was 39k was 2003. You can get ES' for $1000 or so over invoice.

If room is more important to him than the other qualities the Lexus has over the Avalon then he'd probably be happier in the Avalon. Its much larger than the ES330, slightly larger than the LS430 actually...

Both are great cars, the Avalon just doesn't have the elegance or the supreme quality the Lexus has. Rougher edges inside, cheaper plastics, fake wood, etc. You can cross your legs in the back seat without bumping the front seat though, can't do that in the ES.

ES' with nav are around $37k before discounts. The last time an ES with nav was 39k was 2003. You can get ES' for $1000 or so over invoice.

If room is more important to him than the other qualities the Lexus has over the Avalon then he'd probably be happier in the Avalon. Its much larger than the ES330, slightly larger than the LS430 actually...

Both are great cars, the Avalon just doesn't have the elegance or the supreme quality the Lexus has. Rougher edges inside, cheaper plastics, fake wood, etc.

I don't really think he knows much about cars. He knows toyota is Lexus, and when he saw that the avalon was less money (well at least that's what he thinks), he thought the Avalon is a better deal. I don't know what he's really worried about...He's got more money than he knows what to do with.

I think he thinks the ES330 is a boat because his wife (one of my wife's sisters) owns an Rx300. Since that is the only car they "own" they take that mostly. He only takes the ES to work (he's a surgeon) since he's tight on mileage.