Is Battery Replacement A Diy Project?

JasonATL

At 72k miles, it appears that the battery on our 1999 RX 300 is dead. A few weeks ago, I started having the "clock resets to 1:00 AM" problem on ocassion. I found a thread in this forum that indicated that this was a warning sign that the battery needed to be replaced.

Being the procrastinator that I am, I was detailing the car today and had to pull it in and out of the garage a couple of times. The last time I needed to move it, it wouldn't turn over.

So, can I just go to the local Toyota dealership and pick up the appropriate battery and install it myself? Or, is this something that only the dealership can/should do? I know that I technically can do this, so I guess I'm looking for some others' experienes in either doing it or being advised of reasons not too. I haven't changed a battery myself in a couple of decades. But, I think I could handle it if there isn't anything special about the battery in the RX.

Also, I suppose that the alternator could be bad. However, I'm pretty set on getting the battery replaced anyway, as this is my wife's daily driver.

Thanks!

At 72k miles, it appears that the battery on our 1999 RX 300 is dead. A few weeks ago, I started having the "clock resets to 1:00 AM" problem on ocassion. I found a thread in this forum that indicated that this was a warning sign that the battery needed to be replaced.

Being the procrastinator that I am, I was detailing the car today and had to pull it in and out of the garage a couple of times. The last time I needed to move it, it wouldn't turn over.

So, can I just go to the local Toyota dealership and pick up the appropriate battery and install it myself? Or, is this something that only the dealership can/should do? I know that I technically can do this, so I guess I'm looking for some others' experienes in either doing it or being advised of reasons not too. I haven't changed a battery myself in a couple of decades. But, I think I could handle it if there isn't anything special about the battery in the RX.

Also, I suppose that the alternator could be bad. However, I'm pretty set on getting the battery replaced anyway, as this is my wife's daily driver.

Thanks!

i changed mine at sears, $85 for battery and $13 for installation, and they also did a check on charging system.

becarefully if you disconnect battery without a backup battery system, anti-theft system might need to be resetted or re-enter security code.

DIY is easy, need a small adjustable wrench in addition to 10mm socket with racket, costco has a good price on Optima RedTop if you go for that route

Optima Redtop

Autozone offers free battery installation if you buy the battery from them $50, just call your local store ahead and make sure they are not busy.

Dealer will charge your twice and battery is not that great.

I agree - skip the dealer. You can get a battery at Autozone, O'Reillys, WalMart, etc. I'm of the opinion that if you get any battery with at least a 72 month warranty, you'll get at 4-5 years (48-60 month)out of the deal and really don't care about the extra months.

It's easy to swap out. There are only a couple of battery post, and maybe a battery hold-down screw/rod/somthing-or-other. Last time I did it, I just took the appropriate size wrench with me, bought the battery at Autozone, swapped the batteries in the parking lot, then went back inside and returned the core (old battery). Biggest delay was the paperwork.

Consumer Reports recommended Pep Boys ProStart a couple years ago, supposedly provides comparable cranking power as a brand name but at a lower price.

Get a OPTIMA RED TOP I have them in both of my LEXUS and am extremely satisfied. Good luck on your decision. :cheers:

Consumer Reports recommended Pep Boys ProStart a couple years ago, supposedly provides comparable cranking power as a brand name but at a lower price.

Get a OPTIMA RED TOP I have them in both of my LEXUS and am extremely satisfied. Good luck on your decision.:cheers:

I have had great success with Walmart, And Costco batteries, Have never had one fail. The Costco Batteries are excellent if you can find your group size. Other wise buy a Walmart or Sam's club battery. Work fine, last a long time, you will not be dissappointed. The only battery I dislike is the Kragen's brand and have had them fail often, oh sure they are covered under warranty, but no failure for 5 or 6 years is better. good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I need to change the battery in my car and needed some help from you guys. I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport and need to find out the details of the kind of battery I need. What is the minimum Cold Cranking Amps required? (Does it matter if I exceed this amount? Will it damage my car? Additionally, what size/group is my battery? I have looked in the owners manual but there are no specs as to the battery requirements.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

:cheers:

Thanks,

Hi Everyone,

I need to change the battery in my car and needed some help from you guys.  I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport and need to find out the details of the kind of battery I need.  What is the minimum Cold Cranking Amps  required? (Does it matter if I exceed this amount? Will it damage my car?  Additionally, what size/group is my battery?  I have looked in the owners manual but there are no specs as to the battery requirements.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

:cheers:

Thanks,

Read the information at this link http://shopping.yahoo.com/premium/consumer...tml?id=95700426

Where ever yo go to buy your battery thay will have a list with the recomened size group and CCA rating. It doesnt hurt to have a higher CCA rating but unless you live in an extream climate you wont need it. More CCA means more plates, more weight and higher cost.