Headlight Thefts

johnbmech

Article: http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/0127...headlights.html

The FYI column supplement to right of article suggests Lexus is 'on the case'

A related issue with Nissan Maxima seems to be putting more ownership of this type of theft problem on manufacturers - instead of them benefitting from the resulting repair issues. Here is a USA today article on that:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-0...eadlights_x.htm

Article:  http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/0127...headlights.html

The FYI column supplement to right of article suggests Lexus is 'on the case'

A related issue with Nissan Maxima seems to be putting more ownership of this type of theft problem on manufacturers - instead of them benefitting from the resulting repair issues.  Here is a USA today article on that: 

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-0...eadlights_x.htm

Any idea what the ani-theft device is? I'm curious what they have come up with to help stop this.

Maybe Lexus (according to the article about Nissan) would have to come up with a deterent method for their owners for free. That'd be nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about having these guys enhance the alarm:

http://www.sound-in-motion.com/installs/light_theft.html

HID theft is rampant in Boston area, particularly Cambridge. Just yesterday I saw an RX 330 that was parked a block away from my house missing its headlights.

I also never park on the street and when my car is in my driveway I pull right up to the fence.

Hopefully, Lexus will offer an anti-theft package like Nissan.

glue razor blade to the assembly where they can't be see but have to be touched

sounds stupid until you follow the trail of blood to the guy

Problem with that is you'll p*ss him off so bad that he will probably take a brick or a tire iron to your car and let loose! Loved to see him get sliced up - but would hate to see the RX bashed up all over the place!

Also putting razors is illegal!!! I heard of a guy who had razor blades in his stereo, some black kid tryed stealing and it cut his arms up etc, then the guy got in trouble! America is like that, even if someone robs your house and cuts their arm on your dresser, they can sue you. So don't do it.

Also putting razors is illegal!!! I heard of a guy who had razor blades in his stereo, some black kid tryed stealing and it cut his arms up etc, then the guy got in trouble! America is like that, even if someone robs your house and cuts their arm on your dresser, they can sue you. So don't do it

Ya this country is something else <_< ....sue happy SOBs. :chairshot:

I wouldn;t care less about the guy or the car.

If you step into my house and try and rob me be glad if you leave alive.

Damn straight.

I surprise that the factory alarm system of RX330 does not have switch to detect if the hood opened. Any one knows why? Most of the alarm systems I know does have the switch to trigger the alarm when the hood is forced open.

Thanks,

• 8 months later...

hello, I'm Matt and new to the forum.

I had a 95 LS 400 for 5 yrs, loved it, put 180k + on it and have now moved into a new RX330.

Owned it 12 hrs and was not aware of the headlight theft rampage. came out in the mornng (was parked on the upper west side in Manhatten) and found a botched theft of the passenger side light. it was left dangling in front of the bumper, guy at the body shop said they left it because they new they brok it getting it out.

he also confirmed what another in this forum said, that a thief who knows how to do it can get them out in 30 seconds a piece, with less damage to the vehichle than was done to mine. these guys wrenched the fender so bad it has to be replaced!

I dont think waiting for the manufacturer is going to benifit anyone in the short term and while I love the concept of vigilanti-ism i.e. razor blades, i'm sure this would do more harm than good.

question - grill guards, does anyone know where to find a decent looking one? the ones i've seen are large and fairly gruesome bars that dominate and ruin the look of the front end.

thanks in advance to any help and if your in any mid or large city, my understanding is you would do well to take notice of this rising trend.

best of luck and have a great day.

Matt

I wouldn;t care less about the guy or the car.

If you step into my house and try and rob me be glad if you leave alive.

Without notice you won't even get in my place, And without notice you won't leave. If your caught touching my ride without permission, You won't be able to pick up a pencil for a long time. And don't ever let me catch you stealing from me, You can imagine what happens. Just had to vent after reading about theft.

I have a polished stainless steel grill guard on our rx300 and "had" a grill guard for the rx330 too, but took it off a while ago.

There are only 3 grill guards for the rx330 currently that i can find, one all black, and one the same thing in "silver" (not chrome finish) and then another one in all silver by a different manufacturer.

In my opinion they don't look to good LOL. They're very bulky and extended too far from the front bumper. I have NO idea why i bought one for it before...

The polished stainless steel grill guard for the rx300 by manik or progrill is the best out there in my opinion. I love the way it looks.

Matt: Welcome to the forum. Lexus has responded to the high amouth of HID thefts especially in NYC, NJ and around the country with a program called Data Dots. There are two portions to this fix: The additon of a steel bracket and the additon of ID labels/dots.

The bracket attaches to the bottom of the ballast, (at the bottom of the assembly) and to the body at the fender. If someone tries to force out the headlamp the plastic tabs may break but the steel bracket will hold. If further pressure is applied the bracket stays firm to the fender and the ballast will break away from the headlight assembly and will cause permanent damage to the unit making it unusable/unsellable.

The Dots are applied to the headlight. These individual dots are like fingerprints and are tied to your vin number. That way the police can trace the HID to your car. Unless the cops saw the theft take place, since all HID's are interchangeable, formerly they could not be traced to your theft. Even if your car was one block away with obvious headlight damage.

For rx400h owners this is a warranty kit that is installed at no charge at the dealer. It takes two hours and removal of the front bumper cover. I have not checked on the rx 330 to see if there is a cost.

Also putting razors is illegal!!! I heard of a guy who had razor blades in his stereo, some black kid tryed stealing and it cut his arms up etc, then the guy got in trouble! America is like that, even if someone robs your house and cuts their arm on your dresser, they can sue you. So don't do it.

What does the color of thief have to do with anything?

Just have the protection kit installed by the Lexus of Glendale and was told that my car was the first one to install the kit. May be it is not so common that HID headlights is being stolen here in the West coast as compared to the East. Anyway, there is only a data dot sticker on the corner of the headlights and cant find the lenses are painted with an epoxy paint that has very small data dots in it. Anyone know where and which area of the headlights that the small dots is paste to??

I have a polished stainless steel grill guard on our rx300 and "had" a grill guard for the rx330 too, but took it off a while ago.

There are only 3 grill guards for the rx330 currently that i can find, one all black, and one the same thing in "silver" (not chrome finish) and then another one in all silver by a different manufacturer.

In my opinion they don't look to good LOL. They're very bulky and extended too far from the front bumper. I have NO idea why i bought one for it before...

The polished stainless steel grill guard for the rx300 by manik or progrill is the best out there in my opinion. I love the way it looks.

thanks for the reply. Say, if you took the rx330 grill guard off, wanna sell it?

thanks,

matt

matt@theruby.net

Matt:  Welcome to the forum.  Lexus has responded to the high amouth of HID thefts especially in NYC, NJ and around the country with a program called Data Dots.  There are two portions to this fix:  The additon of a steel bracket and the additon of ID labels/dots. 

The bracket attaches to the bottom of the ballast, (at the bottom of the assembly) and to the body at the fender.  If someone tries to force out the headlamp the plastic tabs may break but the steel bracket will hold.  If further pressure is applied the bracket stays firm to the fender and the ballast will break away from the headlight assembly and will cause permanent damage to the unit making it unusable/unsellable.

The Dots are applied to the headlight.  These individual dots are like fingerprints and are tied to your vin number.  That way the police can trace the HID to your car.  Unless the cops saw the theft take place, since all HID's are interchangeable, formerly they could not be traced to your theft.  Even if your car was one block away with obvious headlight damage.

For rx400h owners this is a warranty kit that is installed at no charge at the dealer.  It takes two hours and removal of the front bumper cover.  I have not checked on the rx 330 to see if there is a cost.

thank you for your thoughtful response. i wish the thieves were as such. the problem i see with the technology you refer to is the thief realizes it AFTER the damage is done... i.e. see the picture of my 12 hour old car...

post-21437-1131742129_thumb.jpg

I agree, Matt this will not stop some attempted theft and the damage to the vehicle that goes with it. It must be a sick feeling to see the damage you had, particularly after less than one full day of ownership. It is my understanding that at least with the data dot system the HID's they take out of your Lexus will be unusable and they can be traced to your car if found in someones possesion.

The other - perhaps the only real - value to the IDs on the lights is that it will make them a less attractive target than some other things. Thieves are pretty much lazy; they go after the easiest targets.

Hopefully, the word gets out on the street before too much longer that there are easier targets than 330 lights.

I agree, Matt  this will not stop some attempted theft and the damage to the vehicle that goes with it.  It must be a sick feeling to see the damage you had, particularly after less than one full day of ownership.  It is my understanding that at least with the data dot system the HID's they take out of your Lexus will be unusable and they can be traced to your car if found in someones possesion.

DataDots do not make your HIDs unusable and do very little to prevent theft of HIDs. A theif will have no problem making your DataDot HIDs work in his Honda Civic or selling them to one of his freinds to do the same. It is also reported that theives are just ripping out most anti theft clamps, bolts, etc when they go after the HIDs. Mercedes Benz reports fewer HID thefts due to increased protection from the bumper. DataDots are more effective as a total car theft deterrent where the DataDots are hidden all over the car. The thought being that a theif may remove most of them but will most likely miss some of them which may allow the car to be traced back to its owner.