Remedies For Sleeping At The Wheel

GSsoldier

Not many 17 year olds can say that they make $10. per hour, not to mention that + paid gasoline and service on the car.  You are quite lucky.  We have a lot of 14-17 year olds at work (supermarket) that make about $5.25 or $5.35 per hour- or whatever minimum wage is these days.....

You're right-I am lucky! The CEO of the company I work for is a close personal friend of my dad, so that's why I have the job and do so well.

Not many 17 year olds can say that they make $10. per hour

well im 17 too and used to work at the lexus dealer here in raleigh. i didn't get hired there b/c of 'connections'. i went to the dealer and talked to the detail manager every day for 10 days strait. he finally hired me with a starting rate of $8.50/hr (shows that determination does pay off!). thats not $10/hr like blake gets but its still WAY better than most of my friends who get $5/hr or $6/hr.

I got hired at Circuit City [selling computers] and got paid $9.25. This was my first job, and I had no other work experience. I was really amazed that I got hired, because there was only one other 17 year old guy that worked at that Circuit City, because he was a 110% computer nerd also a very good salesman. Also, that Circuit City ranked second in having the highest sales in NC. Anyways, it got hard for me to work and go to school (the finals were coming) plus at that point I had a bunch of college essays to write, top it all of with my senior project (which I had to be on the top of). So, I had to give up my work. And, everything turned out great all A’s, got into the colleges, and had the highest grade on the senior project in the whole senior class.

I graduated this May, and the whole summer I have been unsuccessful in finding a job similar to that one, and I haven’t worked since then and I miss working at Circuit City.

I think getting hired is important but not as significant as it is too actually work hard and keep the job. But, considering that there are not pleanty of jobs out there [at least for us under 18], it is actually the other way around.

Not many 17 year olds can say that they make $10. per hour

well im 17 too and used to work at the lexus dealer here in raleigh. i didn't get hired there b/c of 'connections'. i went to the dealer and talked to the detail manager every day for 10 days strait. he finally hired me with a starting rate of $8.50/hr (shows that determination does pay off!). thats not $10/hr like blake gets but its still WAY better than most of my friends who get $5/hr or $6/hr.

Now, now, lets not get testy! ;)

I grew up in Raleigh, is that the dealer on Capital Blvd (US1).? Where do/did you go to highschool?

Interesting subject-- hmmm. I've read somewhere that it's approx 30%

of the American public suffers some level of sleep-deprivation, so the falling

asleep at the wheel occurs more frequently than we are willing to admit.

I don't have any specific advice, but there are things to consider.

First--- consider some light exercise before bedtime, a walk can

relax tensions, and may improve the quality of your sleep.

Second--- try to get a mid-day break at work (and don't eat a

heavy meal). The theory behind a mid-day break, is

it gives you a change in stress-level, so you can return

in a better frame of mind.

Third--- try going to bed a 1/2 hour earlier, I know we all want to see

the END of the game, but someone's going to win, and

someone's going to lose. If you watch the whole game, you

can't change it's end result.

Fourth---- eat healthy--- which includes a lot of common sense really.

Reasonable meals and try not to eat a huge meal before

bedtime. Also--- plenty of liquids, and I mean non-alcoholic

bevies (sorry-I know that's a toughy-lol). And you might

also consider a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral daily. As a general

population, we don't always take good care of the human

engine inside us.

If anyone's got something else to add----please do so.

PharmGuy

Interesting topic for me , I vacation 5 to 6 times a summer , where I drive 400 miles over to wisconsin one way I usually work a double shift the sat. nite before I leave and get home at about 10:00 then pack the car and lay down for 4-5 hours and leave my driveway at about 4:00 , I eat well the day before , listen to soothing music , drink plenty of water and make frequent stops along the way to stretch and let the dog out and walk him [ he'll sleep all the way if I let him ] stretch , fresh air , wash windshield and check car over , get back in the drivers seat and repeat as necessary , the window is always open a bit , snack lightly and keep in mind the destination , After all that is why I do this . Enjoy the ride !!!

great tips guys thanks agian singing is the best so far, been too poor to try drinking energy drinks and coffe so singing will have to do, good thing i can go fast enough for no one to hear me too good haha, lately i';ve driven by the place where i fell asleep at the wheel, flash backs ayyy.... anyways pharmguy and dcfish thanks i'll try out those tips since i might have a road trip soon, from sacramento down to LA

Well there's always the option of getting more sleep. Go to bed early and getting about 7-8hours of sleep. Yes, very hard to accomplish, but a sleep schedule usually works.

My father once told me if you wear your body out, your body will naturally want to relax and sleep.

I'm usually tired after a long day of working at a dealership and behind a computer. So i'm dead tired.

Now, now, lets not get testy! ;)

I grew up in Raleigh, is that the dealer on Capital Blvd (US1).? Where do/did you go to highschool?

yes, Johnson Lexus is located on Capital Blvd (US-1). I am enrolled as a senior at Millbrook Sr. high school on Spring Forest Rd. luckily, i get to leave that $hit hole school 6 months earlier than everyone else. i have enough credits that i can graduate in Dec as opposed to May. :D THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

when was the last time you were in raleigh?