Totaled Or Not?

pachocco1

Totaled or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Totaled or not?

• Yes.
    • Maybe with circumstances. (please post)
    • No.

Depending on mileage and Insurance company it could go either way. It appears as if you were hit front and the light runner spun to the rear. That would indicate some major damage to the front end but missed the suspension.That is a good thing! Beautiful car, I hope everyone is unhurt and it works out for you either way. Sorry to see that, but things "eventually" even out.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I think it's most likely totaled. I believe most insurance co's pay up to 70% of the vehicles value toward a repair before it's totaled. My '95 was backed into recently to the tune of $1850-and the repair wasn't even done properly, so I'm in the middle of trying to get it repainted(the shop is 80 miles away ugh)...what a PITA. :(

:cheers:

Ouch. The insurance company will total the car for sure. What you might try to do is buy it back. Looks like about 10K in damage at Lexus prices. If the suspension isn't damaged you should be able to fix it if you can find parts.

Having been hit sevral times I know you really have to fight for yourself. The insurance companies and the US Navy have all tried to screw me. The Navy was the worst and I had to write to my congressman to resolve that.

Sorry about your car, good luck

Depending on mileage and Insurance company it could go either way. It appears as if you were hit front and the light runner spun to the rear. That would indicate some major damage to the front end but missed the suspension.That is a good thing!  Beautiful car, I hope everyone is unhurt and it works out for you either way. Sorry to see that, but things "eventually" even out.

The car is a 1991with 135,000. The car would not turn so there may be some internal (minor or major) suspension issues.

Nobody hurt. The other car was totaled for certain. This car is a tank and will likely by a newer one to replace it.

Thank you for your comment and concern.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I think it's most likely totaled. I believe most insurance co's pay up to 70% of the vehicles value toward a repair before it's totaled. My '95 was backed into recently to the tune of $1850-and the repair wasn't even done properly, so I'm in the middle of trying to get it repainted(the shop is 80 miles away ugh)...what a PITA.  :(

I empathize with your situation. I don't have a lot of trust in repair shops to go to the fullest extent possible with some types of repairs. I am in favor if the totaling the vehicle because I am weary of drivability concerns after repair. I mean the car drove before the wreak drove like a dream. Anything less is not acceptable.

Thank you for your input.

Ouch.  The insurance company will total the car for sure.  What you might try to do is buy it back.  Looks like about 10K in damage at Lexus prices.  If the suspension isn't damaged you should be able to fix it if you can find parts.

Having been hit sevral times I know you really have to fight for yourself.  The insurance companies and the US Navy have all tried to screw me.  The Navy was the worst and I had to write to my congressman to resolve that.

Sorry about your car, good luck

I will certainly evaluate your suggestion. Being an avid buyer, I am familiar with the market for used & salvage parts. The return might be very good if the buy back price is reasonable enough.

Oh, BTW FTN! Being a Navy veteran from the first Gulf war, I know the alter ego Navy.

Thank you for your input.

well from the looks of it you NEED

FR fender 300

hood 500

bumper 250

headlight 400

signal light 50

rad support 400

rebar 300

gas cover 100

RR 1/4 probably need a cut as repairing that deep damage is flaky 600

R bumper 300

repair frame damage for sure as it is lower on the right side 800

repair RR door 200

mice parts unseen 400

repaint whole car 2000

about 6600 total as a best guess

I think the vehicle will be totalled (based on the pics & year of the car).  Did the air bag(s) deploy?  :unsure:

The air bags did not deploy. This did concern me due to the partial frontal impact. The claims adjuster commented on that as well. I don't know where the sensors are for deployment but it must have been close.

Just to give you an idea here's the damage my car took to merrit $1850 in damage.....

DSC00035.sized.jpg

Pretty shocking. There is a 1x1 area that they did not sand correctly(I guess....I know nothing about body work). It looks like a bunch of of scratches, but they are black, so they blend in very well. There are also some swirl marks too; my paint may be falling apart, but there are no swirls! lol The most embaressing thing is I didn't even notice it until a State Farm Agent came to inspect the work done on my car and pointed it out to me. I think I was just so happy to be out of the PT Cruiser, I didn't really care a whole lot so long as I got my LS back! lol Have you heard anything from the insurance co yet?

Just to give you an idea here's the damage my car took to merrit $1850 in damage.....

DSC00035.sized.jpg

Pretty shocking. There is a 1x1 area that they did not sand correctly(I guess....I know nothing about body work). It looks like a bunch of of scratches, but they are black, so they blend in very well. There are also some swirl marks too; my paint may be falling apart, but there are no swirls! lol The most embaressing thing is I didn't even notice it until a State Farm Agent came to inspect the work done on my car and pointed it out to me. I think I was just so happy to be out of the PT Cruiser, I didn't really care a whole lot so long as I got my LS back! lol  Have you heard anything from the insurance co yet?

blake, i have seenthis body work in person and thats EXACTLY what they did, the sandpaper they used was ENTIRELY too rough...

Talk about a good guess on my part!! :lol: On monday, they're going to buff it, and if that fails, they will repaint.

buffing it wont help, they will have to repaint, unless they wetsand and then buff, but even then you will always have to keep wax on it (and i do mean FREQUENTLY) because it will fade quickly. the only way to correctly fix it is to resand, strip with spirits/thinner and repaint.

BOT, that LS400 is only worth $5500 max, they wil total it, there is probably over $7,000 worth fo damage. industry standard (slightly variable in some areas) is $975 per inch of frame straightening...so... add that up. looks like about 3 inches, that right there is ~$3,000. plus the body repair, not to mention whatever suspension damage hs occured...

the marks on your paint are called sanding marks from the use of bondo which is sanded down with a low grit but being lazy and not following through with a high grit to make the surface flush

you can bet they probably don;t even own a sanding block which is about 1 foot wide ( smallest size)to make the whole panel flush and plum not wavy like a bad civic fibreglass body kit ( you know your've seen them) with more wave than an ocean in its reflection.

wetsanding will not remove them as they are not in the clear but the base coat and primer which has adhered to a bumpy surface.

time to get the whole panel done again ,hopefully this time it will be properly

You are correct about the Bondo, SK. I can't figure out why they put Bondo on my car-come to find out after speaking with the guy incharge of repairing my car. He's claiming that the paint shrunk, and it wasn't there when my LS left the shop. As yall can see, there was no severe damage to my car-the dent didn't even have a crease in it. What makes it even more weird is the 'sanding marks' are under the side mirror which had no damage at all. I thought Bondo was for low-buck, half !Removed! repairs?? Should I be alarmed by it's use which I don't even know why it was done in the first place??

It sounds like a repaint is the unamimous decision-it seems like both of you guys know a thing or two about body work. I thought this body shop was half decent. Everytime I go I see 4-5 Lexi being repaired-usually LS's and ES's.

You are correct about the Bondo, SK. I can't figure out why they put Bondo on my car-come to find out after speaking with the guy incharge of repairing my car. He's claiming that the paint shrunk, and it wasn't there when my LS left the shop. As yall can see, there was no severe damage to my car-the dent didn't even have a crease in it. What makes it even more weird is the 'sanding marks' are under the side mirror which had no damage at all. I thought Bondo was for low-buck, half !Removed! repairs?? Should I be alarmed by it's use which I don't even know why it was done in the first place??

It sounds like a repaint is the unamimous decision-it seems like both of you guys know a thing or two about body work. I thought this body shop was half decent. Everytime I go I see 4-5 Lexi being repaired-usually LS's and ES's.

no, bondo is not a half assed fix, it is the only way to repair certian things sometimes. but in this instance, its better jsut to replace the doors.

but if your rear quarter panel was damaged (say near the gas filler door) they would have to pull the dent, and then sand and bondo, getting lines back level and sand agan, keep doing it until its perfect. reason being, you do not have a removeable rear quarter panel, so unless the damage is so bad they cant repair it with bondo (doesnt happen often, the stuff really does work wonders!!) they usually use that. on the rear quarter panel, if it is bad, the damage can be cut out with a plasma torch and a maching area from a used panel can be cut and welded in its place. this is much more difficult than bondo.

however, every other panel on your car is replaceable. even the roof panel. so if i were you, i would push for a new door, since they proved they couldnt use bondo correctly the first time. since your rear quarters are fine, dont worry about it LOL.

and SK, i forgot, the black paints on lexus' dont have clearcoat. so any sanding that woudl be done would be fruitless, and actually, the imperfectiosn looked to me to be in the bondo as well, so a complete repaint of the panel is inevitable. it looks like the sandpaper they used on this repair was about a 200 grit, maybe less.

you could pop to get it repainted...it would look like a brand new car!!!

and the airbag (singular,there is only one in the gen I i think) didnt deply because it wasnt a frontal collision. the sensors are bhind the grille. if they arent impacted at a nearly head on angle, they will not deploy. though it looks liek you JUST missed it.

get a used door if you are going to replace anything

bondo is something to be used sparingly most shops use it like a magic putty which it isn;t.

Fix the damn panel then use it to smooth edges and surfaces not remake them ,that is just pure crap to need that much unless it is just paint they scuffed for primer and still forgot the rest

I am still out to lunch on the black being an acrylic and not base clear as i have never gotten into a shop to look at the pint chits for verification.