My First Lexus

Hello everyone,

Im thinking about buying a mid 90's ES300, im looking to spend under 14k and i thought before i got to serius i would ask the pro's, so here i am. What are the "pros and cons" to the ES300, what should i look out for, is there an engine or trani i should avoid. Any information or links would be fantastic. Thank you for your time.

THE BOSS

Personally, my favorite is the 97-01 generation. I bought my 97 for about $11k last July, and it had about 86k miles on it at the time. You can surely find one for under $14k.

Pros:

-- really quiet and well-powered engine... I love how quiet it is!

-- very high build quality... fit and finish is exceptional

-- lexus has been no. 1 on the reliability charts for years

Cons:

-- strut mounts tend to wear faster than normal, causing them to need to be replaced sooner than they should

-- in very rare cases, the engine has been known to gelling (when the oil is not changed frequently enough and dirt/impurities cause it to gel in the engine).. this is very uncommon, but still something to look at when buying used... make sure the oil has been changed AT LEAST every 6k miles/6 months (it should be every 3k miles/3 months)

Overall, the ES (especially IMHO the 97-01 generation) is a hot car. :whistles: I think it looks great. Nice shape to it, nicely rounded (not overly-rounded), appealing from every angle, quality construction, nice features, comfortable to drive and ride in, and it's just a really classy-looking car. It's no sports car, but I do get head turns frequently. It's just a very nice-looking car, especially when you see one driving down the road and you think to yourself *wow, that's what my car looks like when it's moving... it looks so nice! Lol. :lol:

There are barely any negatives about my car. I mean, hey, it's goin on 8 years and it IS a machine. Ya gotta expect a couple little things. But in the end, this has been the best car I have ever bought and I am so glad that I DID buy it!! No regrets! :cheers:

I also love the 97-01 body. Very modern, luxurious, and even aggressive looking. The style will never look dated.

My pros and cons basically echo what chadmg7 had to say. The Strut Mount problem had a TSB issued, and I had mine replaced free of charge. Make sure you get a clean car with records, and you'll love it.

A couple things to note:

The car is not a sports car by any means. I went from a Maxima to a BMW 330 Cabrio to my ES. It took some time to get used to the smooth ride and smooth accelleration. No more taking corners at 45mph and squealing the tires from a standstill. I guess even though the ES has got the HP and torque, it's geared like a luxury car.

Don't buy the Lexus unless you can afford to take care of it. Oil must be changed regularly, and scheduled maintenance should be performed. Keep your car happy, and it will do the same for you.

Best of luck with your purchase!

I agree with the others - the '97-'01 is the best. I have a '95 and I love it, but if you go too far back then you'll have to deal with problems of age more than anything else. My Mom has a '97 and it is very nice. Mine is holding up great, but that is because I maintain it to a very high standard and make preventative repairs as well as regular repairs and all scheduled maintenance.

The '92-'96 have the ride feel of a larger car (more like the LS). I like the body style (esp. the front profile). The '97-'01 is more sporty in its styling and ride. Lexus fixed a few of the quirks from the earlier model in this generation. I don't really care for the most recent generation at all (but that's just my opinion). It feels more like a larger car (sluggish and loose) and I don't care for the styling as much as previous models.

One warning is that if you buy a Luxury car, then you need to expect that it will cost more to maintain it than it would a regular Camry. Even if you don't go to the dealership the repair bills can still add up (when something breaks). The benefit of the Lexus though is its reliability so you will be better off than buying a used European car.

Also keep in mind that you will still probably want or need to spend @ $1200 +/- after you buy it to get it in a condition where you want it depending on previous history and mileage. If you don't know the history and if the mileage is right, then, you will probally need a timing belt, complete fluid change, belts, tune up, maybe an extra key, etc. - Just some things to keep in mind.

What can I add to this?

I bought a 98 with 19K miles back in 1999 and it has almosty 90K in mid 2004. Regular maintenance and no surprises yet. Nothing special in terms of body mods, wheels or audio but it still looks more classic than the latest versions. In So Cal, tinted windows are a necessity.

Paint is doing very well and I don't even wax it very often. Only blemish is the delamination on the center post (both sides).

The wife drives a 02 RX300. I love Lexuses!

read the faq for good ideas

92-93 garbage engine

94 new internals but looks like the 92-93

95-96 face lift

97-01 engine sludge possibilities ,egr and idle control problems

00-01 got new headlights with HID's and taillights as well as rims and is the nicest looking of all mcv-20's

but for 14 grand i don;t know what is available in your area for that price.

The Boss: I couldn't located the cars to your specific area, since you didn't state which city your live in. But, here are few Lexuses in Arizona and Arizona area. The site changes everyday, so you might want to revise the search if it doesn't come:

www.cars.com search: lexus

Here is the homepage of the advance search of www.cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standar...ml?aff=national

You can also try: http://www.autotrader.com/

Also, look in your local newspaper. And, Tells you about your search and what is available out in your area in your price range.

:D

Thanks a million, you guys are fantastic this is just what i was looking for. If anyone else has anything to add please feel free to do so, all the information i can get is of value to me (pro's & con's).

Thanks again for all the help.

THE BOSS

I guess I should add in my 2 cents' worth here since I have owned both a 1996 and 2001 ES300. I owned a '96 ES (Coach Edition) for about 3 years before I traded it in last year for an '01 ES (now my current car).

The '96 was an elegant, classy and also sporty vehicle all around, both the outside and inside. The fuel mileage on the ES sedan is so far the best out of all Lexus, and my '96 used to get around 24-25 MPG on average (city and highway). Everyone will tell you that when you step inside the ES and drive out, it almost feels like a library. They're right about that :D Smooth engine and an engaging pick-up on acceleration pretty much round out the performance side of the ES. Heck, I even took the '96 to the race track one time to see its capabilities, and my best 1/4-mile time was 15.79 @ 85.7 mph (with everything stock) :lol:

Onto my current car, the '01 is a more refined and updated version of my '96. Lots of changes on the exterior body, and more new luxury appointments to the interior. I'm actually starting to think I'm getting more comfortable with this car than my previous one. Engine is also upgraded: 210 HP, VVT-i (still a V6). Because of my "renewed" love for this sedan, I'm putting more modifications into this car than the last one. Here's a list of what I have done within the past year of owning the '01 ES (more mod plans in the near future):

- PIAA lighting (low beams and fogs)

- debadged 'LEXUS' emblem in rear

- K&N air filter

- full wood trim kit

- 2003 ES300 washer nozzles

I also detail my own car with the detailing items and tools I have researched and purchased as rated the best, and I keep up with preventive maintenance (e.g. did the 90K service when the car had 86,700 miles). I think it's an important part of car ownership to take care of your own car because this is your possession and you earned it ;)

Here's a snapshot of that faithful day when I had to let go of my missed '96 and the birth of my '01 :lol:

lexusk8, shoulda kept the Coach man!!!

yeah ... i say all the same things about mine... (96 )

Though youve prolly heard this again and again... nothing is like a car kept well... rA regularly maintained vehicle will treat you well... Just make sure you dont over look that!

I have a 96 es300 that had 74k when I bought it. I put brakes , and alternator, and 2 front axles on it of courwse with regular oil changes.. At 132k it is the best running car I've ever had in my life. Find one you like, take it to your mech. for full testing and get Lexed!

:rolleyes:

I own a 96es300...the smoothest riding car for its value...i love the ride in it..

but..the only thing i dont like about it is: its not enough room in it..after riding in 98 infiniti I30, or maximas, when you get it in, it feels smaller, and it actually is..for people taller than 6'0ft, i wouldnt recommend that car..i have had company ride with me (taller guys) and when they sat in the back seat, it was never enough legroom for them...or vice versa, if they sat in the front, and a a guy with average height sat in the back, he complained of less leg room because the passenger had the seat back to far..lol..

but the only problem i had with it was:(hard to explaing)..well the guy was getting into the passenger seat..and his right shoulder came down on the apparatus that holds the seat bealt in stow...?? and it tore..i have had this problem on both sides of the car..just not roomy enough

I own a 96es300...the smoothest riding car for its value...i love the ride in it..

but..the only thing i dont like about it is: its not enough room in it

I couldn't agree more! :D I'm in the process of selling my '94 ES for this reason. I bought a '95 LS, and she's got tons of room fore and aft even for a guy that's 6'3(me!!!)! Don't get me wrong; the ES is a wonderful car(I think the 1MZFE is one of the greatest engines ever...soo smooth and quiet), but not if you're over 6'.

LLoyd, it sounds like it's time to switch over to a LS too! ;) :D

:cheers:

The Strut Mount problem had a TSB issued, and I had mine replaced free of charge. Make sure you get a clean car with records, and you'll love it.

It is somewhat differenb subject, still:

Can you provide more details on this TSB? Is Lexus fixing the problem for the cars that are out of warranty (97, ES 300, 112K)?

Regards,

Alex

Regarding the replacement of my strut mounts, I am not sure whether or not Lexus is fixing the problem for free. My car is still under the 4/50K warranty. When I had the problem fixed, I brought up the TSB, and my service advisor assured me the problem would be fixed for free. There was never any discussion of it being a warranty repair (there usually is). Talk to your service advisor... it's worth a shot.

but..the only thing i dont like about it is: its not enough room in it

I couldn't agree more! :D I'm in the process of selling my '94 ES for this reason. I bought a '95 LS, and she's got tons of room fore and aft even for a guy that's 6'3(me!!!)! Don't get me wrong; the ES is a wonderful car(I think the 1MZFE is one of the greatest engines ever...soo smooth and quiet), but not if you're over 6'.

LLoyd, it sounds like it's time to switch over to a LS too! ;) :D

:cheers:

hell yeah..my dad has 96LS400,..and it so roomy compared to mine..u can almost cross your legs if your rinding in the back..it makes the ES300 feel like a coupe almost..but i also own a 98 Infiniti I30, and i drive it more because its more roomy then the lexus(and im only 5'10)..

....but thats the only flaw with the car is the size...and the way the car market is going know..GM, Chevy,even Saturn are making interiors bigger than the 96ES300(and not to mention more fashionable)...but if i were you, i would get a 98GS300..! its fast, rommy, not as BIG as an LS, but almost...