Vvti Engine In 98 Ls4 Or Newer

wandawoods

well, maybe I am ahead of myself in term of getting a newer LS4 to replace my 94 LS which got rear-ened a week ago. the whole thing still depends on how the insurance stuffs resolve.

I probably would go for a 97 or 98 LS4, and I am aware that the 1UZFE VVTi appears in 98 LS4 or newer.

any input about VVTi vs. the traditional 1UZFE in 90~97 models? your input can make my purchase decision of either 97 or 98 much more easier.

also, is VVTi an interference engine which makes the timing belt service much more critical? also, do we still stick to the 90K rule for TB change in VVTi?

thanks for your advices in advance!

The 98+ (VVT-i) engines are interference. 90k is the timing belt service along with the plugs - they are the newer iridium type.

You get 20 more HP and a major refresh of the entire car. Engine, 5 spd tranny, trunk room, interior refresh.

HID's are options on 98

i also heard that this vvti thing might be a problem on cars with high mileage since it will require frequent adjustments do to its hidraulic nature.

Well, definitely go for the 98 or newer. The VVTi is not only get 20 more HP. The whole engine is more powerful in almost all RPM. I have a 96 LS and drove a 99 LS before. My 96 LS just doesn't have the "instant power" as the 99. When I floor it on highway, my 96 LS speed up "gracefully", but not let you "heads back". Or, does my 96 has problem?

Well, definitely go for the 98 or newer. The VVTi is not only get 20 more HP. The whole engine is more powerful in almost all RPM. I have a 96 LS and drove a 99 LS before. My 96 LS just doesn't have the "instant power" as the 99. When I floor it on highway, my 96 LS speed up "gracefully", but not let you "heads back". Or, does my 96 has problem?

lexur,

how does the 01 LS 430 compare to the 99..........?

I've got to think its the next level up!!

i also heard that this vvti thing might be a problem on cars with high mileage since it will require frequent adjustments do to its hidraulic nature.

You don't need to adjust anything. The only thing you need to adjust is your wallet ;)

JPI

wandawoods-

VVTi simply stands for "Variable Valve Timing with intelligence" and is a much more efficient fuel injection system for the engine. As a result, the engine puts out an extra 30hp and is slightly more fuel efficient. The added technology should not cause any additional problems in the future. I would definitely recommend a 1998 LS400 over a 1997. Although, either one is a great decision.

Hi all,you all forgot to mention the 300lbs of torque :D :D .

The mk4 is the one i wanted but could not afford :(

Me boss used to have the vvti mk4 and he gave me a lift in it few times...very very nice...so what the 430 is like i dont know...not seen many in the uk.....oneday.....oneday :)

While I have a 00 LS - same style as the 98 LS - my favorite LS design of all time is the 95-97. I'm not sure why I like it so much. Maybe it is because of what I consider the sleeker headlights or that the front turn signals are still in the bumper or that it does not have the "afterthought" front side marker lights like my 00. I like the wheels more that the later ones too. I saw two 95-97's on the road in the past two days - one was green. I never thought I could like a green car but it looked really stunning. I think the 97 and 98 have the same wheelbase and about the same interior space - someone please correct me if I am wrong. The main thing I think the 98 has going for it is that it can be had with HID's - I love the HID's - but the 95-97 headlights are probably pretty good compared to the early LS. If you like the 98-00 wheels you could find a 97 Coach Edition which comes with them. Options on the 98's were priced more individually than on the 99-00 which were more package-oriented. I don't know about the 95-97 but the 98-00 is a screamer. After driving a Buick rental in N.Y. for the past week, climbing into my 00 again yesterday was pretty wild.

well, got the $11K insurance check on hand now, ready to thraw in a few $K cash and go for a 98 LS4

found these 2 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2474919974

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2474329205

both are way below KBB private party prices. one in FL, one in TX which means no rusty bottom.

questions:

1. any1 done a DYI for TB change in VVTi engine b4? is it more complicated than traditional 1UZFE? the one in TX has 87K, it's time for TB change pretty soon

2. does NAV worth it? is it prone to failure after years of use?

time to make a decision:

97 LS4 97K: $13500 (KBB $14900)

new26.JPG

98 LS4 87K w/NAV: $17000 (KBB $17500)

278764_1_400.jpg

98 LS4 71K w/o NAV: $18000 (KBB $19000)

6b_4.JPG

1. the 97K/87K have 90K service done including TB+water pump replaced.

2. the KBB prices represent private party value in execellent condition.

3. they are TX or FL cars; all have service record

4. both 98 come with 1-month/1000mile warranty

5. it seems that the 97 has the best ratio of asking vs KBB price....

what would you choose?

Umm.....Made me think for a while. I believe that the older the car, the more money you will save in terms of Book Value vs. The Price; not true everytime but in some cases I have seen this.

Why the black 98 LS have foggy headlights rather than the white one.

I'll say that if you have some $ to spare you can definetly go with the 98s. Because you are getting a whole differnet car from the outside [at least the front].

For some reason, [maybe its due the photography] but the white LS looks more newer.

You have a lot of options. I heard the color black is hard to keep clean; but you already had a black LS. We have a white Camry and unless it has splashes of mud on it, it never looks dirty.

Without driving the car and looking at it physically; its hard for me to choose the 98s. The black one has a nicer interior, due to the NAV sys. But, the gold wheels have to go; in my opinion.

The foggy headlights can be fixed. I was thinking, maybe in later years you want to sell either one of them; with the NAV sys. wouldn't you get a better deal. Because, they are becoming so common now. I guess you can say, a car with a CD player vs. Cassette.

Plus, I think the wheels are making the Black one look older.

So, with that said; I'm going with 98 LS4 87K w/NAV: $17000 (KBB $17500)

thanks for the input!

black car is fine with me, especally I already have a white 96 SC4.

the 98 white has only 71K miles on it, I guess what's why it looks newer.

the wheel design on 98 black is identical to my 96 SC4, and I don't really mind it.

i do warry about the NAV can go south when time goes by, and I bet it's costly to upkeep. plus, it will be primary for local driving (we rarely drive out-of-town) which makes NAV less useful to us.

Hey, I'm located in Houston, TX and actually test drove the 1998 you are debating buying. I would NOT buy the car, I repeat, I would NOT buy that car. It is a non-inspected Lexus for good reason. Once you turn it on, you will understand. Also, it looks like there has been body work done to the car. Did you notice how they didn't put any pictures of the engine compartment?

The only reason I liked the car was it was black on black and it had the Nav package. But to me, that's not worth buying a car that I know I will need to spend $$$$ on.

I ended up getting a 1994 with 47k miles and I'm very happy about it. Though it wasn't the color I wanted, nor did it have Nav, I know it will be a solid car.

Keep looking and good luck with your purchase.

-Reid

I'd have them put the stock OEM wheels (from the 98 white) on the 97 black w/97K.

Then you've got the classice 5 spokes - which I think are the best! Also would look like the 97 Coach Edition LS's :D .

And......its $4500.00 less (one year older and 25k miles more ...but...engine is solid anyway....)

Reid,

thanks for the head-up! WOW, I did have the car VIN checked, and it didn't indicate any accidents in the past! also, service record shows 90K service was done at 84258 mile.

my totaled 94 L4 was black on black, very sharp!

99lsguy,

in fact, wife likes the 97 black (because it's the least expensive one :lol: !), and I do like the 5-spokes wheels on Michelins!

new04.JPG

I don't mind higher mileage since 90K service has been done! we drive so little per year anyway (average 6~7K a year for all my cars), and NAV is not important to us.

unless something drastic happens, looks like it's going to be the 97 black....

I don't think you should rush into buying a car like this. Buying a vehicle based on pictures and someone else's opinions is totally idiotic, unless you are buying a brand new vehicle covered under warranty.

In either case, if i'd had to choose between a 97 and 98, i would definatelly buy the 98 or better yet a 99. Search for a 99 between $17-18 thousand, you should be able to find it. The 98-00 LS400s were the absolute best vehicles produced in the late 90s. Also, i don't know how important packages are to you but Nakamichi system and wood trims are great to have.

>> Buying a vehicle based on pictures and someone else's opinions is totally idiotic<< so, you've basically just wiped out the entire eBay motor....

1stly, I have serveral 80~100hr/week work loads in front of me, don't have lots of time to shop. I do want to get this buying thing done ASAP

2ndly, local prices in newspaper ADs are largely 15~30% higher than KBB private party prices. only at eBay motor, we can find lots of cars normally 5~20% below book value. that's a 20~50% swing! I am willing to take a chance on that amount.

3rdly, I bought 3 cars (2 lex for myself, and 1 for relative) on eBay b4, they all turned out to be rather nice. some low-milleage eBay cars do come with 1-month/1000mile warranty by eBay affiliates. on top of high-price, local cars are mostly sold as-is and no warranty whatsoever, especially 'by-owners'.

4thly, eBay motor sellers have 'feedback' profile you can check agaist, and you can even email prior buyers for their experiences.

in last 12-month, I bought over 1/4 million worth of computer parts from eBay, and I sold close to half of million worth of computer servers on eBay, so I have total confidence on the ebay stuffs.

anyway, it's not very nice to call any1 'idiotic'....

Wandawoods,

No, don't get me wrong, I like Ebay myself. However you should be very careful with cars from ebay, especially since most of them are dealer cars. Most of these dealers make a very small spread when they buy cars from auctions and push them through on ebay, they don't always check or inspect them. A lot of times i see vehicles on ebay with auction labeling on the windshields.

Personally, i bought my car locally for $17,200, 84k miles. I would strongly suggest you should shop around before making a firm decision, especially if you have access to other cars at the time.