2001 Es300 Driver Mirror Problem

Dear fellow Lexus Owners,

My 2001 Lexus ES300 has a cloudy driver side mirror. It looks like the reflective material on the inside of the mirror is peeling off. Has anyone else had this problem? What causes it?

I can attach a photo later. JC

It happens with all these mirrors including on the 2000 LS400 I owned from 2003 until last year. It's pretty easy to install replacement mirror glass modules but the replacements are pricy. Be sure you buy the right ones if you replace them - I've seen replacements on ebay that were not for US models but looked the same from the mirror side.

coppens1,

You have a 14 year old car, so if the cost of a new mirror and its installation cost are too pricey for you, you can glue a new mirror surface over the old one, if you can live without the heated mirror function.

Basically make a paper template of the original mirror shape and take it to a glass place that cuts mirrors as well. Using a thin mirror tile (they glue them to walls as a back accent behind a shelf, etc.) they can cut a replacement mirror. Then using clear silicone (the same stuff they seal glass fish tanks with and shower stall glass, glue the new mirror over the old one. Then tape it in place so it can't move or slide for 24 hours. Remove the tape and you're good as new. I've fixed several mirrors this way.

Either that or you can order a new mirror surface for that Lexus mirror on eBay, and then glue it in place the same way. Good Luck!

Dear Guru Member and Gbhrps, thanks for your comments. I am currently negotiating with Lexus regarding this. I found out it actually has to do with the auto dimming feature on the mirrror. I will also check on replacement mirrors. JC