Just Got Rear-ended Pretty Bad

wandawoods

Forgot to say--my wife had two rods and a metal plate put in her back(2 months later) from just this little bit of damage---Bills thus far are over $60,000. There is a lawsuit in progress.

I have no idea how the medical system in the USA works, but in Canada, all of the medical expenses would be paid for by Medicare. You wouldn't have to pay a cent.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your kid and you being in that accident. Please take the time to have your son checked out by the hospital, for abrassions and whip-lash.

I have to agree with the others, don't settle with the insurance company until you get what you want, and it doesn't hurt to consult a lawyer. I believe the car is totaled, but I'll show it to the body shop guys I work with.

Glad to hear both of you guys are okay.

Senna4ever :

I wish we had government health-care.

Yup, it can be great, but it is abused by people alot. On the other hand, if you need a heart transplant or hip replacement, it is all paid for as long as you are a Canadian citizen, immigrant or resident. All it costs is $50CDN a month for adults with an above $24,000 income. Children are covered no charge.

Wandawoods: I hope everything will work out. I'm glad that you and your child is unharmed. That trunk dissapated so much energy! Wow.

I have no idea how the medical system in the USA works, but in Canada, all of the medical expenses would be paid for by Medicare.  You wouldn't have to pay a cent.

Medicare costs Canadians a great deal of money every year, and for health care that is in many respects poorer than that available to Americans who can buy insurance. Our system will provide care, but only to the extent that they have the doctors, the nurses, the hospitals, the equipment, and the time, and in most cases this causes a huge comprise in service. Don't fool yourself.

I have to pay for health care for drug addicts, alcoholics, drunk drivers, indigents, heavy smokers, and the obese. I don't want to. I want to pay for me, and my family.

And at the end of the day, lawsuits are still the only recourse for compensation above and beyond the medical care received, for things like lost wages and pain and suffering, even in Canada.

By the way, I was at Brands Hatch in 1984 and saw Senna make his first podium finish, third, to Lauda first, and Brundle second. Great race.

As to the point of this thread, remember what Volvo and Mercedes have said about their cars, arguably the safest ones around for many years - "the purpose of the car is to save your life, so you can go and buy another one". Makes sense to me, because the alternative is not a good one.

I have had a few customers over the years complain about their "perfect" car that was destroyed in some accident, and I have always told them "The car gave its life for your family. Buy another car and get over it."

SRK: That's pretty much what I wanted to say, but was too lazy to do so. My comment after that about people abusing the system was intended to be your post in a (very small) nutshell! :lol:

You saw Senna race? I am SO jealous. I've SAT in a 1994 Williams-Renault static display car, and I have an original team jacket from the 1994 season which cost me an arm & a leg!

got the body shop estimate back yesterday. the prelim figure is $10,500 which is about he original market value (KBB says $8400/$10685 private/retail) of the car, not yet discounting the loss of value due to this major accident.

of course, I don't wish to get it fixed. rather, I surely like to take the cash to buy another LS4 if Allstate will go alone. will see what happens after I talk to the adjuster on Monday.

I have to agree with you CW, buy another LS.  You might oughta see what they will sell it back to you for salvage.  You could still sell it for a good sum.

I agree, like I mentioned before thats what my father did. He bought the car and fixed it, they wanted only $200 for it. But in your case repairing is not a good option. If you have trouble selling the whole car, you can sell its parts. I think selling the parts individually will profit you a lot more then selling the whole car.

You can sell some of them right here at LOC. :D

"Your gold emblems and rims will sell in a heart beat for a good price." :cheers:

well, guys & gals, it's final. Allstate is cutting me a check of $11K for total-loss of my 94 LS4 (118K, with all factory options). they will also pay me retal car coverage seperately.

looks like they did use the KBB's full retail value + local sales tax as the settlement amount which is fair enough for me.

I'm shopping a 97 or 98 LS4 as replacement. leaning toward a 98...

again, thanks for all your inputs and advices!

Welcome to the club! ;)

acf,

what's major thing with the 'coach edition'?

1UF-ZE,

well, I am not picky about wheels, in fact, kinda like that 5-spokes chrome wheel... :D it does have 4 mitchelin with 75% tread left.....

Welcome to the club! ;)

acf,

what's major thing with the 'coach edition'?

Basically just the "'98" wheels and Coach did the leather interior. Has upgraded stitching etc. and says "Coach" on the center console leather. Also, get "Coach" floor mats and a the first owner got a Coach leather bag with his/her purchase.

I've seen the value of the Coach Edition disputed. Some say it will be a collector's edition and others say its just an LS with Coach leather. :blink: