Timing Belt '99 Es300

SPPENNEY

I took my 99 ES300 to a mechanic with a 127,000 miles on it for an oil change. He informed me that the timing belt needs to be changed which I knew was due but haven't had done because of finances. He told me if it the timing belt went, the engine will die and I'll need a new engine. Something about the pistons and rods. Is this so? I did read in another forum that if the belt goes, it just needs to be replaced and does not cause any permanent or major damage.

Am I risking doing major damage if I wait or do I need to have it done now? I don't think he inspected it. If he runs diagnostics is there a code for the timing belt? What, if any, are the visible signs that the timing belt needs to be replaced?

Thanks, appreciate any info.

I don't have complete confidence in Gates.com but it doesn't list your 99 ES as having an interference engine. If that is true then no damage will be done if the timing belt "breaks".

However, it is not the timing belt to worry about. Failure of some other part in the timing belt system is usually what causes a belt to be ruined - water pump, tensioner, idlers.

There are really no visible signs when a timing belt should be replaced except maybe if there is obvious noise or the water pump is weaping coolant.. Just follow the maintenance schedule and replace the timing belt and all the ancillary parts I mentioned above every 90,000 miles or 72 months. If there is ever a sign that that the water pump is about to fail, replace it and the timing belt ASAP. I had barely 60 seconds warning when the water pump on my first LS failed and took the timing belt with it.

The key is if it has the VVTi engine, which the RX300 did that year than it is an interference engine. I would highly suggest getting the belt changed.

• 3 weeks later...