Drove A 2010 Es350, Hyundai Genesis & Lincoln Mks Back To Back

SW03ES

I was up-county yesterday with some clients and we finished early and I figured I would pop by the old Auto-Mall and see what I could see. I had the opportunity to test drive the 2010 ES350 as well as the 2010 Hyundai Genesis and the 2010 Lincoln MKS. I found it a very eye opening experience for me and thought I would share my thoughts with all of you. Please comment!

I'm going to break it down into several sections and declare a winner in each section, at least as pertains to myself.

First let me say that all of these vehicles are extremely well built and with very high quality materials. Lincoln has really come a LONG way in this regard as has Hyundai. Really and truly...there is very little quality difference between them and the Lexus, and in some areas they really excel.

The vehicles I drove were a 2010 Lexus ES350 with navigation (US Spec loaded, MSRP just over $40k), a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 (loaded with the tech package, MSRP about $42k), and a 2010 Lincoln MKS (fully loaded with AWD, EcoBoost engine, all the toys MSRP about $55k). The Lincoln is the one of the bunch that really stands out in terms of price, but a 2WD MKS without the EcoBoost engine can be had for $46k. Still the most expensive of the bunch.

Exterior Styling

The most subjective area to be sure. I thought all three vehicles looked fresh and modern. The Genesis is definitely an attractive car but nondescript. Hyundai deliberately left their emblem off the car everywhere but the rear decklid, and even that dealers sell a Korean-market Genesis emblem kit to replace it, as well as one for the hood and replacement wheel caps. They even offer a replacement airbag with the KDM Genesis emblem. The car I drove had this emblem kit and you would never know it was a Hyundai to look at it. To me though this is the only drawback to the car, part of owning a luxury car is being proud of the brand you have bought into. It almost becomes a lifestyle, with the Genesis you really are giving that up. The Lincoln is also an attractive car, large, awkward at some angles. The Lexus remains fresh with the 2010 update and, although the design is older than the other cars still holds up very well. 1: Lexus; 2: Genesis; 3: Lincoln

Interior Styling and Quality

This is where we really see the inroads both Hyundai and Lincoln have made on Lexus. As all of you know the ES350’s interior has always been a sore-spot for me, and while the additional trim and material upgrades for 2010 help, it still feels to me a little bit like a “stripper” when compared to its competition nowadays. The wood trim is high quality and the OLED GPS screen is sharp and bright. Seats are comfortable and supportive, all the switchgear move with Lexus precision. The Lincoln’s interior is also mostly high quality with BEAUTIFUL wood trim that looks like it’s from fine furniture, very nice Bridge of Weir leather, high quality carpeting. Far better material quality than the Lexus. The MKS gets new electroluminescent gauges for 2010 which are a huge help, and also features a high quality GPS screen. The Lincoln lags behind the Lexus and Genesis though when it comes to switchgear quality and placement as well as the readouts such as the driver information center which is a Ford parts-bin item. It definitely feels American, everything is thickly padded, leather, wood or chrome, and the steering wheel is large. This is where the Genesis REALLY shines though. The overall feel is very Lexus-esque. Leather quality surpasses the Lincoln and far surpasses the Lexus and borders on some of the softest leather I’ve felt in a car. Leather trimmed dash, nice quality carpets. The gauges are very familiar to Lexus owners and to my eye are the most expensive looking of the lot. All the switchgear is excellent as is the nav screen. All controls are routed through what I think is the best dial controller in the business. The seats are firm but comfortable and there is not a low grade plastic in the entire car. The Genesis also features by far the best rear seat of the bunch with enough room for the person behind to cross his legs. They say interior volume is more than the LS460, and while I don’t quite see that its definitely better than the ES or MKS. The whole thing just screams quality…the only downside is Hyundai’s decision to use imitation wood trim on the interior. To me that is a HUGE shame on such a beautiful car. 1: Genesis; 2: Lincoln; 3: Lexus

Audio & Nav

To me this is the biggest area where the Lexus is insufficient. The Lincoln features a 16 speaker THX surround 7.1 channel audio system that is excellent, built in XM radio and HD radio. The Genesis features an incredible 17 speaker Lexicon system (a brand only shared with Rolls Royce) with XM and HD radio…and the Lexus has a no-name stock system with no available premium upgrade save the ML on the special order only UL package. Inexcusable Lexus… The GPS system in the Lexus is the standard Lexus setup, albeit with sharper graphics and a new interface and is excellent, the Genesis also features an excellent system that also allows destination input while driving. All feature real time traffic. 1: Genesis; 2: Lincoln; 3:Lexus

Ride & Drive

This remains the area where the Lexus really shines still. Nothing rides quite like the Lexus and the ES350 is the indisputable ride leader here. All 3 ride VERY well, and while driving you think to yourself "this car rides great", but then you get into the Lexus and the refinement and smoothness of the ride is really on another level. Even my old ES surpised me with the difference when I got back in it to go home. With 140k miles it still rides a lot like the new 2010. In terms of noise isolation I’d say all three are similar. The Lincoln rides somewhat firmer than the Lexus, although my tester had 20s. The Lincoln drove very well with very neutral and nicely weighted steering. This is one sticking point for the Genesis, while it is VERY quiet and rides smoothly, the suspension is quite firm and the ride can get a little bouncy at times. Supposedly the suspension for 2010 is improved, and I have not driven an ’09. I would not call it rough or harsh, the car is valutlike solid, but it is definitely firm. New tires or lower pressures may help, but the issue is there. Power wise it is no contest, the RWD setup and 4.6L V8 on the Genesis simply dwarf both the Lexus and Lincoln. The power delivery on the Genesis reminded me a lot of the Lexus LS, it doesn’t bury the tach when you hit the gas, the power builds through the RPM range making the delivery very smooth. Transmissions on all were very smooth, although the Genesis demonstrated a little more e-throttle lag than the Lexus or Lincoln. All cars idled very smoothly although again the Lexus really shines here. You can tell that the Lexus ride was what both Hyundai and Lincoln were after. 1: Lexus; 2: Lincoln; 3: Genesis

Prestige

As I have said before, part of owning a luxury vehicle is buying admittance into an exclusive club. Some may try and down play this but really, at the crux of it, this is a big part of why we buy luxury vehicles. The Lexus clearly dominates here, and in terms of dealer quality Lincoln and certainly not Hyundai can come close. The Genesis has me really wishing Hyundai had not taken the cheaper road and created a “Genesis” brand. Like I said Hyundai sells “Genesis” specific badging, and its attractive but part of buying a luxury car is not having to feel the need to hide the manufacturer who makes it. 1: Lexus; 2: Lincoln; 3: Genesis

Value

This is a no brainer, for $42k in the Genesis you get RWD, a V8, keyless entry, an incredible audio system, super high end materials, dynamic cruise control, an incredibly well built car. You can reproduce all of those things on the Lincoln, but its going to take you to $55k which is absurd for the car. The Lexus is a great car as we all know, but from a feature-per-dollar standpoint the car is the clear loser and by a mile. Now, when you start to consider resale value the Lexus rebounds significantly. Many of the high-tech features on the Genesis and Lexus simply are unavailable on the ES at any price. 1: Genesis; 2: Lexus; 3: Lincoln

Would I buy a Hyundai Genesis? No. The long-term viability of the model is too uncertain as is the resale. However, they have some VERY attractive lease deals that basically amount to the car being $200 less per month than an ES350. It is a very hard argument to make IMHO than the ES350 is worth $200 per month more than the Hyundai Genesis, and I would seriously consider leasing one and trying it out for 3 years. Would I buy a Lincoln MKS? No. Same situation though, Ford has some good subsidized leases. Lexus offers no special lease options for the ES, or any Lexus. Buying for the long term, I would still choose the Lexus but they are going to really have to step up their game in 2012 when they do a total revamp of the ES…

Feel free to post comments or questions!

For the Audio and Nav section I have to disagree with you, I think the Lincoln has the best system. Have you played with Sync? I am contemplating buying a Mustang GT and the one at the dealer had Sync with a full nav screen and I tried it out. The voice recognition on it is simply amazing. If I want to change the radio channel I just say "Radio, FM, 99.9" and it changes or if I have my iPhone plugged in I say "Play, Artist, Rascal Flats" and BAM it plays.

However I agree with you on almost everything else. I couldn't buy a Genesis even if I loved everything about the car just because it's a Hyundai. When I tell people I drive a Lexus I get a 'Whoah'. If I told someone I drove a Hyundai they'd conjure up an image of a Hyundai Accent.

Oh the Sync is the best voice recognition system out there, but I wasn't basing the decision on that at all. In terms of sound quality the Lexicon system is definately the winner.

Yeah, truly the only reason not to buy a Genesis is the brand...

I couldn't agree more about much of what you said. I still question Lincoln's quality of interior materials though...

I'm actually going to the northeast auto show tomorrow. I'm gonna make a note to inspect the Lincoln for materials. I remember seeing it last year and being very dissatisfied by the interior quality :o But i'll update tomorrow.

But i do agree about the Hyundai. I love the interior, exterior... everything about it- except the name. :(

Nice review Steve! I mostly agree with you. Although when it comes to the stereo systems, I hate to break it to you, they almost all come from the same factory. Harmon Kardon owns Lexicon, Mark Levinson, JBL, Crown, Infinity, etc. etc. It's funny that Mark Levinson doesn't even have an automotive electronics line up, yet they supposedly use them "exclusively" in Lexus? It's pretty much the same with Hyundai and a few others.

Harmon International

Very well done.

From a NEW car standpoint, I believe the Genesis may be the best bang-for-the-buck sedan value on the market today. But I don't purchase new vehicles - I usually wait three model years until the bulk of the depreciation has safely passed me by. It remains to be seen how the market will treat the Genesis over that period of time, but I think that Hyundai has clearly hit a home run with this car. The Genesis employs the same world-class German ZF transmission system that our wonderfully smooth and fast highway cruiser Jaguar S-Type has (along with BMW, Mercedes, and a host of other performance luxury brands that use this transmission). The Genesis V8 rear-wheel-drive power capabilities will be difficult to duplicate by the other luxury brands for anything even remotely close to the same money that a typical Genesis costs. We'll see how the first few years of the Genesis unfold but given this still-lousy U.S. economy, Hyundai couldn't have picked a better time to bring their flagship to market here. The Genesis will steal buyers that previously would have been considering Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, and others....

Thats another thing. I have noticed a little bit of a shift in how the American consumer behaves when it comes to luxury vehicles. Its not quite as "in" to be driving a flashy luxury car and you see a lot of people trading down into less visible vehicles. When you go on the Genesis owners forums you see a lot of members who have traded their luxury branded cars in for the Genesis precisely because it doesn't send as stuffy a message. It will be interesting to see how that effects Genesis sales too. The dealer said that they can't keep more than 1 or 2 on the lot at a time and they sell very well. No reason to doubt him because I was very upfront that I had no intention of buying a car I just wanted to try one out.

Nice review Steve! I mostly agree with you. Although when it comes to the stereo systems, I hate to break it to you, they almost all come from the same factory. Harmon Kardon owns Lexicon, Mark Levinson, JBL, Crown, Infinity, etc. etc. It's funny that Mark Levinson doesn't even have an automotive electronics line up, yet they supposedly use them "exclusively" in Lexus? It's pretty much the same with Hyundai and a few others.

The name isn't so much the issue as the quality. The ES' audio is pathetic in spec and function when compared to either car.

I'm actually going to the northeast auto show tomorrow. I'm gonna make a note to inspect the Lincoln for materials. I remember seeing it last year and being very dissatisfied by the interior quality But i'll update tomorrow.

There are a few niggles on the Lincoln, the HVAC vents are cheap feeling and looking...and the floorpan has some unusual angles and the dead pedal feels unnatural. Otherwise...there is not a low quality plastic in the car...

You have to take style out of the equation and just look at the materials and the quality with which they are put together...no argument that the Lincoln has a low quality interior.

Well i just came back from the auto show.

I sat in the Lincoln MKS, and wasn't very impressed. I played with the electronics which were pretty cool, but it didn't feel too luxurious. The plastics were quite hard (compared to the Lexus interior materials which are more "squishy") and the leather was very "pleather-like". The gauges and displays were also quite boring.

I did however like the Lincoln MKS. It's a bit smaller than the MKZ, but inside it felt more luxurious. The gauge cluster is one of the NICEST, most MESMERIZING displays i've seen- i couldn't keep my eyes off of it... It looks boring in pictures, but in real life it has a wonderful 3-D effect which is very cool. I also found the interior styling to be more pleasing to the eyes than that of the MKS... Both lincoln's did have REAL wood trim though, which i thought was nice.

And i played with the Hyundai Genesis a bit. I found the interior quality to be better than the lincoln, and of course loved the optitron gauges, also found on most Lexus'. But like SW03ES said, the Genesis uses FAKE wood trim!! Definitely a turn off... And the leather was quite "soft", but it felt more "rubbery" than i prefer.

I sat in most of the Subaru's, and found them to be boring. Nothing special there. Sat in the Audi's too- same boring feeling...

I wasn't impressed with any of the Honda lineup AT ALL.

There was one brand that i was unusually impressed with, and that's with GMC (specifically the Acadia). I found the leather to be one of the softest, and interior materials to be a major step-up from previous GM's. Same for the Buick LaCrosse and whatever SUV they have (can't remember the name). Definitely wouldn't buy one, but i was impressed with the new GM feel. The GMC and Buick also used REAL wood trim, which is pretty nice.

Cadillac was a major disappointment as far as quality of materials. STILL using fake wood trim and pleather.

Wasn't impressed with Chevy and DEFINITELY not impressed with Ford. The quality of the Fords' interior materials is the same as of the Lincoln's- random spots of squishy dash material adjacent to hard plastics, it just didn't make sense, and definitely didn't give me a good feeling.

Out of all the cars i sat in today, if you gave me $100k i would come out with the Acura RL. Revamped for 2010 with new taillights and a WONDERFUL interior. The technology in the new Acura's FAR surpasses any other car i saw today. The cockpit of the Acura is like... a space shuttle! The various white and blue accent lights just make you feel like you're in a luxurious heaven. The RL i looked at today had an MSRP of $51k, but i think for the tech you get, it's totally worth it. Just wish it had a touchscreen nav...

But yeah, i wasn't very pleased with the Lincoln. Maybe it's because i'm coming from two Lexus', but i really notice the quality of materials. The first thing i do when i get in a car is knock on the dashboard. If it hurts, it's out!

I just don't see how you could find any of the materials inside the Lincoln cheap. They are different than the materials in the Lexus...but they are all soft and well padded, everything is leather, real wood, or chrome. In fact I think the materials are better than anything Lexus offers right now except maybe the LS...

As a matter of fact I felt the same way about the interior of the Ford Taurus. WORLDS better than the Camry...

Caddys all have real wood and leather by the way, the wood trim is Zepelli. I don't care for their interiors either though. The new SRX is pretty nice...

SW03ES, I test drove all three of thsoe cars last year when I was shopping for a new car as well, didnt end up with any of those 3 but my impression was that both the Genesis V6 and the MKS was overall a better car than the ES. I generally like a more control suspension, the soft ES suspension was a real turn off. Sure it was comfortable going over pot holes, but driving on a twisty road or try to change lanes fast on the highway and you will realized pretty quick that the ES was not design for that. I found the Genesis and the MKS both handle better and yet, almost as smooth as the ES. The MKS and the Genesis is a better compromise between handling and suspension smoothness in my opinion.

It depends on what you're looking for. I definately found the ride in the ES better...the ride in the Genesis and MKS is closer to the GS, which you obviously prefer...

It’s funny you said they ride like the GS because I just sold my 08 GS350 in last year. The GS350 was one of the harshest car I have ever driven, except for my BMW 328i. The Genesis and the MKS somehow manage to ride smoother than the GS and yet handle about the same as the GS if not a bit better. I am not sure if it was the run-flat tires on the GS that made it so harsh and handles so badly, but the GS was a car did not impress with either smoothness or handling. I guess that’s why the GS is selling so badly.

It was definitely the runflats...they ride much better without the runflats.

I think the issue with the GS is that its homeless in the Lexus line. Its smaller, rougher, and more expensive than the ES so people looking for a luxury vehicle go that route. Anyone who really wants a $50k sports sedan looks at the E or the 5, or the M35...and don't really look at the Lexus.

By the way, we went to the car show today and my wife LOVED the Genesis. Its really rare that she have that kind of a reaction to a car. She said she would want one for herself...she has never really liked driving the ES.

It was definitely the runflats...they ride much better without the runflats.

I think the issue with the GS is that its homeless in the Lexus line. Its smaller, rougher, and more expensive than the ES so people looking for a luxury vehicle go that route. Anyone who really wants a $50k sports sedan looks at the E or the 5, or the M35...and don't really look at the Lexus.

By the way, we went to the car show today and my wife LOVED the Genesis. Its really rare that she have that kind of a reaction to a car. She said she would want one for herself...she has never really liked driving the ES.

Thats the problem with the GS, its either luxury nor sporty. Its a great highway crusier, but then so are all the other Lexus. Its a shame too, the material in the GX is top notch but it is poorly design. Almost all GS have rattle issues, mostly form fasteners and poor dash design.

I am seriously considering a Genesis for my next car, one just cannot beat the price. The interior design does need improvement and the dealerships are terrible. Other than that, its a lot of car for the money.

I am seriously considering a Genesis for my next car, one just cannot beat the price. The interior design does need improvement and the dealerships are terrible. Other than that, its a lot of car for the money.

I agree the value is there for sure.

How exactly are the dealerships terrible?

:cheers:

They're just not going to be of the same level as Lexus dealerships. Our Hyundai dealer is the same as the Toyota dealer that we serviced the Prius at until I found our mechanic. Its not bad, you do get loaners like at Lexus but you get an Elantra.

What's your issue with the Genesis' interior design? I love the interior.

As we all know, interior design of a car is subjective, some may like it and some may not. I find the Genesis' interior a bit boring. The interior material is very good in this price range but there is just no continuity to the interior, a bunch of controls here and a break in the lines and another group of controls.

As far as the Hyundai dealer, the closest one to where I live is about 15 miles. The dealership use to be a warehouse. The HVAC is weak, the building is old, the waiting lounge is worst than the Toyota dealer. Hyundai try to section off a dealership just for the Genesis, but its still in the same building and in my opinion, it is not enough to separate the luxury owners and the Elantra owners :)

I've been doing my own comparison, but instead of sedans I'm looking for sporty cars. So far I've driven a Saab 9-3 2.0T, Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8T, Mustang GT, and Camaro SS. Amazingly my favorite so far is the Genesis! I'm driving an IS C and possibly an SC tonight so that may change my favorite... I hope so.

I've been doing my own comparison, but instead of sedans I'm looking for sporty cars. So far I've driven a Saab 9-3 2.0T, Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8T, Mustang GT, and Camaro SS. Amazingly my favorite so far is the Genesis! I'm driving an IS C and possibly an SC tonight so that may change my favorite... I hope so.

I wouldn't waste my time with the Saab. If your liking the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, then atleast give the Nissan 370 a spin also. It costs more, but it's nice and tight, and they really juiced the acceleration. Crazy enouph, of the list of cars you have in this post, I think I would be leaning on the Mustang. There's been this voice in my head again, calling softly. LOL!!! The front end of the new Mustangs is just so cool lookin! And they are finally getting the interior right! Not to mention all the suspension improvements they have been making to the car which I thought was the weakest point of the Mustang a few years back. But not anymore. The only thing I would change out is the rear tail lights. For some reason the back of the Mustang just doesn't look right.