New Member, New (potential) Owner

Hello! New to the forums here... so go easy on me! :)

Through my parent's neighbors, I was connected with this old couple who owns about 5 cars and they are good friends with my neighbors. One of those cars is a Black 1991 Lexus LS400 with only 18,000 miles and two owners (I think it stayed within the family though.) It was driven.. very, very moderately by this couple (obviously...) They are wanting to part with it for about $4,500.

I've done some reading here and researching prices online, and from what I can gather... this is a pretty good opportunity. Is that correct? I am going to check it out today and probably will be buying it as long as there is nothing majorly wrong with it.

What kind of things should I be looking at specifically with a car that is this old with this low of miles? What can I expect to be wrong with it?

How much should this car be actually selling for?

Any other advice you can give?

I appreciate all your help! Thank you!

I suspect that fluids haven't been changed very often on a nearly 20 year old, low mileage car. If I bought it, the first thing I would do is to change all the fluids -- transmission, engine, differential, brake, coolant. A car ages even when it isn't driven -- corrosion in the electrical system can take its toll but it depends how the car was stored. Was it always garaged?

Check that the A/C works -- compressors are expensive.

It's doubtful that the timing belt has ever been replaced -- they should be replaced every 6 years or 90,000 miles -- so you may be looking at an immediate $1500 bill for timing belt, water pump, ancillary parts (idler, tensioner). The accessory drive belt may need replacement too.

Value? Hard to say. $4500 is about what I sold a 1990 LS400 for in 2003 -- it had 183,000 miles, was up-to-date on service and looked like new.

How's this car equipped? What options? Check here to see what was available: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1991/1991LSspecs.pdf

Remember, it's still a nearly 20 year old car with technology that is not exactly up to date.

Hopefully the car doesn't have the dreaded air suspension. Is the car in great cosmetic shape? No dents or dings, leather in good condition, etc.

What's your budget? This car could easily need $2,500+ work to make it reliable if it hasn't been properly maintained.

I suspect that fluids haven't been changed very often on a nearly 20 year old, low mileage car. If I bought it, the first thing I would do is to change all the fluids -- transmission, engine, differential, brake, coolant. A car ages even when it isn't driven -- corrosion in the electrical system can take its toll but it depends how the car was stored. Was it always garaged?

Check that the A/C works -- compressors are expensive.

It's doubtful that the timing belt has ever been replaced -- they should be replaced every 6 years or 90,000 miles -- so you may be looking at an immediate $1500 bill for timing belt, water pump, ancillary parts (idler, tensioner). The accessory drive belt may need replacement too.

Value? Hard to say. $4500 is about what I sold a 1990 LS400 for in 2003 -- it had 183,000 miles, was up-to-date on service and looked like new.

How's this car equipped? What options? Check here to see what was available: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1991/1991LSspecs.pdf

Remember, it's still a nearly 20 year old car with technology that is not exactly up to date.

Hopefully the car doesn't have the dreaded air suspension. Is the car in great cosmetic shape? No dents or dings, leather in good condition, etc.

What's your budget? This car could easily need $2,500+ work to make it reliable if it hasn't been properly maintained.

I had in mind a budget of about $2,000 on top of whatever I pay. Even then, I'm slightly hesitant to get in over my head here.

I checked out the carfax, and it has a perfect record... although there aren't any records of maintenance being done. Just title and registration issues all the way up to 2003... and then there are no records after 2003. That says to me, that there has been no recent maintenance? Does carfax capture ALL maintenance records? (besides maintenance done privately, of course.)

The car is pretty fully equipped, leather interior, heated seats, moon roof, power windows, 6 disc cd changer, etc. etc.

I'm not sure about that air suspension? Keep in mind I'm not a car guy at all.. very casual knowledge. How would I be able to tell if it had air suspension when I go look at it?

I'll ask how the car was stored and also test the AC.

I really appreciate your response!

Well if its had the fluids changed and started every now and then I would jump on it so fast my head would spin. I paid $3900 for my 1990 LS400 in 2003 and it had 224K and I paid $3200 2 years ago for my current 1991 LS400 and it had 203K when I bought it.

Like 1990LS400 said, find out more details.... has it been setting and not started in years, or? All fluids will need to be changed, timing belt if it hasnt been changed, etc. Its a low mileage car and these cars can go mulitiple of hundreds of thousands of miles, but it being nearly 20 years old, I am sure some hoses and belts are getting tired. The PS hose on my LS400 was as hard as a brick and leaking.

Anyway 18K is ultra low miles for an LS400. I would check it out, maybe offer $4K and get some of the maintainence done on it.

Post pics if you can! Good luck!

Well if its had the fluids changed and started every now and then I would jump on it so fast my head would spin. I paid $3900 for my 1990 LS400 in 2003 and it had 224K and I paid $3200 2 years ago for my current 1991 LS400 and it had 203K when I bought it.

Like 1990LS400 said, find out more details.... has it been setting and not started in years, or? All fluids will need to be changed, timing belt if it hasnt been changed, etc. Its a low mileage car and these cars can go mulitiple of hundreds of thousands of miles, but it being nearly 20 years old, I am sure some hoses and belts are getting tired. The PS hose on my LS400 was as hard as a brick and leaking.

Anyway 18K is ultra low miles for an LS400. I would check it out, maybe offer $4K and get some of the maintainence done on it.

Post pics if you can! Good luck!

Just curious... if I bought this car, and did all repairs/maintenance necessary to get it up and running healthy. How much would it sell for at that point?

I'm not sure about that air suspension? Keep in mind I'm not a car guy at all.. very casual knowledge. How would I be able to tell if it had air suspension when I go look at it?

Neither of my LS400s had this option (while it is nice (because they ride so smoothly when working), its costly to repair when it breaks). To my knowledge beside of the gear shifter on the console, it will have an addition button that reads "high-low" or? I am sure someone where will have more info on this. I also know that on the lower left corner of the instrument cluster there is a light that will have "HEIGHT". If it has that, it has the air suspension.

Just curious... if I bought this car, and did all repairs/maintenance necessary to get it up and running healthy. How much would it sell for at that point?

If its in mint condition..... probably $10,000 or more, but thats a guess. 18K miles the car is not even broken in.

Car may also need valve cover gaskets (mine does), but not sure if that one has not been driven much, they may still be OK. Not sure if since they have not been exposed to engine heat that much if that would make a difference or not.

i would just find a clean well maintained second generation for that price. I bet you can find a perfect LS400 on the west coast! garaged and well maintained will be like a new car, trust me.

Can you show me any other vehicle on the planet that you can buy for $4,000 with only 18,000 original miles? No matter if you spend $5,000 on the car, you're still under $10k. $10,000 for a car with 18,000 miles. Honestly man, this has got to be the biggest no-brainer out there. BUY IT!!

Can you show me any other vehicle on the planet that you can buy for $4,000 with only 18,000 original miles? No matter if you spend $5,000 on the car, you're still under $10k. $10,000 for a car with 18,000 miles. Honestly man, this has got to be the biggest no-brainer out there. BUY IT!!

This is pretty much my line of thinking. I just feel like I cannot pass up this deal.

I may be looking at it sometime next week, and I'll try to bring it to a mechanic (or have a mobile come out and see it) and get the diagnosis.

This is pretty much my line of thinking. I just feel like I cannot pass up this deal.

I may be looking at it sometime next week, and I'll try to bring it to a mechanic (or have a mobile come out and see it) and get the diagnosis.

Buy it or I will B)

Buy it or I will B)

Talked to some guys at a Lexus dealership the other day.. just getting their opinion on this whole situation in terms of maintenance estimates, and things to expect. Their eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when I told them what year it was and the mileage. They said "if you don't get it... tell us, because we'd be interested."

Buy it or I will B)

Talked to some guys at a Lexus dealership the other day.. just getting their opinion on this whole situation in terms of maintenance estimates, and things to expect. Their eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when I told them what year it was and the mileage. They said "if you don't get it... tell us, because we'd be interested."

Do yourself a favor, keep it a far away from a Lexus dealership as possible. The thing you're going to face with the car, is the suspension bushings. They're all soft rubber, and are more effected by age then mileage. You'll probably be replacing the motor mounts (2), the transmisison mount (1) and a control arm or two within the first year or so of ownership. THIS is going to be the main area of cost for the car. The dealership knows this, and will ring your clock on it. There is a reason why they're called Stealerships.

www.parts.com get to know it along with an indi mechanic, and save yourself thousands of dollars!!

Buy it or I will B)

Do yourself a favor, keep it a far away from a Lexus dealership as possible. The thing you're going to face with the car, is the suspension bushings. They're all soft rubber, and are more effected by age then mileage. You'll probably be replacing the motor mounts (2), the transmisison mount (1) and a control arm or two within the first year or so of ownership. THIS is going to be the main area of cost for the car. The dealership knows this, and will ring your clock on it. There is a reason why they're called Stealerships.

www.parts.com get to know it along with an indi mechanic, and save yourself thousands of dollars!!

Sure, sure.

So... what do you estimate the cost of repairs/maintenance to be after all is said and done? How much should I expect to pay? More than 2,000?

can't really say until the car has been inspected. If its been in a heated, dry garage all its life, its probably pristine, even the rubber.

I guess just buy it and change ALL the fluids and filters. Put some cash in the bank and keep us updated on any problems.

I still think a newer car would suit you better though. You should compare the brake calipers from a 90 to a 95. I'm pretty sure they used the same caliper design till 2006! Miles really don't matter on a LS400.

Don't get me wrong i absolutely adore the 1st gen(I have 4 a 90,93,94 x2), its a masterpiece, but the newer ones feel much more modern, in every possible way.

can't really say until the car has been inspected. If its been in a heated, dry garage all its life, its probably pristine, even the rubber.

I guess just buy it and change ALL the fluids and filters. Put some cash in the bank and keep us updated on any problems.

I still think a newer car would suit you better though. You should compare the brake calipers from a 90 to a 95. I'm pretty sure they used the same caliper design till 2006! Miles really don't matter on a LS400.

Don't get me wrong i absolutely adore the 1st gen(I have 4 a 90,93,94 x2), its a masterpiece, but the newer ones feel much more modern, in every possible way.

Hmm.. true. I have it in my mind now that this is something I would consider sprucing up and then re-selling.. because I don't think this car is really great for me and my driving habits (commuting to work downtown.) I need something more like a Honda or Toyota... something with good gas mileage. I'm 23, and don't need the Lexus luxury.. it'd be nice don't get me wrong. But it's not something I really need.

I am with Omar..... get a 95-97 and do your self a favor..

read this forum... most of it is 90-94 troubles, instrument are fragile on them.

95-97 are more solid.

NOW: a bell rings when you think of a super low mileage car... "go get it!!!" you think..

but I owned a 7 stall garage for 30 years and have worked on many "steals"...

nearly all of them had bearing failure due to not being driven and the lube had drained down, even pre packed bearings... some had rust problems in the brakes also.. problems waiting to happen..

so follow your heart, and dont go on a long trip the first year if you get it.. but do change ALL fluids with TB/WP also...

I am with Omar..... get a 95-97 and do your self a favor..

read this forum... most of it is 90-94 troubles, instrument are fragile on them.

95-97 are more solid.

NOW: a bell rings when you think of a super low mileage car... "go get it!!!" you think..

but I owned a 7 stall garage for 30 years and have worked on many "steals"...

nearly all of them had bearing failure due to not being driven and the lube had drained down, even pre packed bearings... some had rust problems in the brakes also.. problems waiting to happen..

so follow your heart, and dont go on a long trip the first year if you get it.. but do change ALL fluids with TB/WP also...

Yeah, I'll have to get a feel for how consistently this car was driven. Or if it was left for years at a time without even being started.

Would love to get a mechanic to look at it for sure, so he can tell me if repair cost will be as much as the car itself straight up front.

I have it in my mind now that this is something I would consider sprucing up and then re-selling..

Been there, done that a few times when I was much younger and never did make enough money on those deals to make it worthwhile.

A 1991 LS400 is still a 1991 LS400 no matter how low the miles and how good the condition.

I'm in complete agreement with OmarG. The gen 1 90-92 LS400 was a great car in its day but the later ones (95-up) are incredibly better and more modern. I loved the LS400 I bought in 1990 but I was completely stunned at how different and much better my 2000 LS400 is -- it's like they are completely different models ... almost seems odd that they share the "LS400" model designation.

I would avoid the gen 1 LS400 just for its horrible, weak headlights. They are awful. Did I mention that the headlights on a gen 1 LS400 are horrible? Seriously, I can't over-emphasize how bad they are.

Do yourself a favor and buy a 95-up LS or none at all. Maybe stick with your Honda or Toyota. If I had a "do over", I would have spent less on cars when I was in my 20's -- a long, long, LONG time ago. Cars are fun but not very important . No asset that depreciates is very important.

Wow, you all have me wanting to drive a 1995 or newer LS400. I have only been behind the wheel of three... one was my aunts 1990 LS400 that she bought in 1992 with 21K miles! Black with tan interior, it was a beauty, I was 16 years old and I wanted it! I also wanted the all-new 1992 Honda Prelude that was on the sales floor when my aunt took her almost brand new 1991 Accord with 9000 miles in for service. :)

It was not until 2003, I bought my first LS400... a 1990 with 224K. I thought I had died and gone to car heaven. lol. The car impressed me.

My 1991 LS400 is my current car... 224K miles. Wasnt as impressive as I had already had a LS400, but I still liked it until these problems started cropping up, draining my bank account and sanity!

I guess if I were to drive a nice trouble-free 1995 LS400 I would feel like I was in car heaven all over again? :)

Whatever you decide, enjoy that LS400 if you get it.

Wow, you all have me wanting to drive a 1995 or newer LS400.

That's exactly how I felt after I got my 90 and figured out what the LS400 brand was all about. It was an unfortunate accident that got me there but I'm so much happier with the 95 than the 90.

The back end of the gen2 is so much more modern than the gen 1. Enough so that Lexus kept it when they modded the front end in 98-00 models.

I know it's crazy to pass up 90 with only 18K miles, but for me, I would rather have a 150K 95 any day.

Firstly, welcome to the LOC! :cheers: Don't think we've had a initial posting as intriguing as this one in some time. If the mileage is bonified and the car is all original and has never been cracked, I'll take it right now! I'll even give you a finder's/broker's fee! Btw, dc's just puling your leg. :P He really doesn't need another car. If you find any other similar LS deals, I'll take them too!