New Times A'comin'?

Don't get me wrong. I love my 94LS, and it's running like a top with 121K. Perfect condition. A/C stopped running last Fall. but I waited until this month to try it out, and it was a failure. But I tried it again, and now it will blow me out of the front seat with chilly air. Living in Vegas, this is good.

But I just read about the free govt money that may be passed soon:

1. Trade in a car that — this is a key point — that has been registered and in use for at least a year, and has a federal combined city/highway fuel-economy rating of 18 or fewer miles per gallon.

2. Buy a new car, priced at $45,000 or less and rated at least 4 mpg better than the old one (gets a $3,500 voucher). If the new one gets at least 10 mpg better, you get the full $4,500.

I checked the official govt website, and my Lexus is rated at 18 mpg. Under the new revised actual mileage estimate.. Perfect.

Looks like the LS is in trouble, since I'm petrified about the known power steering and alternator problems. Already had the water pump/timing belt money pit work done.

So whatta' you think? Time to bail? Hi, NC211.

Don't get me wrong. I love my 94LS, and it's running like a top with 121K. Perfect condition. A/C stopped running last Fall. but I waited until this month to try it out, and it was a failure. But I tried it again, and now it will blow me out of the front seat with chilly air. Living in Vegas, this is good.

1. Trade in a car that — this is a key point — that has been registered and in use for at least a year, and has a federal combined city/highway fuel-economy rating of 18 or fewer miles per gallon.

2. Buy a new car, priced at $45,000 or less and rated at least 4 mpg better than the old one (gets a $3,500 voucher). If the new one gets at least 10 mpg better, you get the full $4,500.

I checked the official govt website, and my Lexus is rated at 18 mpg. Under the new revised actual mileage estimate.. Perfect.

Looks like the LS is in trouble, since I'm petrified about the known power steering and alternator problems. Already had the water pump/timing belt money pit work done.

If that is how you think, .. good luck with whatever you get..

If that is how you think, .. good luck with whatever you get..

If you always do what you always did, Then you will always get what you always got B) ;) :lol:

Hi Texas! My opinion on this? No brainer, get rid of the car for something a little newer and better. I haven't heard about this government money thing yet, sounds like it's part of this new emissions thing Obama is chatting about? If it is indeed true, then the amount of the voucher itself is probably what your car is worth in an open market anyway. So, if you can get $7,000 for your car ($3,500 x2), I'd take it and run! I sold my 95' in 2007 for about that much, and quite frankly was glad. Plus, your a/c is giving you fits, and if you haven't had the power steering problem yet, you know you will, so those two fixes right there will probably cost close to the government voucher once it's all done and said for. If it were me, I would personally say "i'll match the voucher with my own funds", then start looking for something a little newer with updated technologies and better mileage. Maybe a 2000 GS300? Or another LS in the 99's area? You can buy a lot of Lexus for about $10k these days. I bought my 01' GS430 with 56k miles, for in the $12k's. I also traded in my 07 Mazda for it, but the spread between the loan balance they had to pay off and the price they sold it for wasn't all that great. Barely enough to justify the cost of business to sell it.

At the end of the day, if you've got a car that you're starting to lose confidence in, especially one that costs a lot to repair, it's time to start thinking about alternatives. If the government is offering you a carrot to make that choice, then I'd have to say take the carrot.

Another government carrot story: Our house in NC sold in 3 days for damn near what we were asking for it last February. The buyers had been looking for 3 years! They are a young family (mom a teacher, dad in retail, 2 kids). They were first time home buyers, and qualified for this new $8,000 tax credit program under the FHA loan program. That tax credit is what made the sale happen. They're happy, I'm happy, we're all happy. When will the government offer such a thing for a depreciating asset (like a car) again? I'd take the money and run!

I'd also start looking at the GM and Chrystler used car lots for ideas as well. Especially ones that are a bit further out from town "more likely to be closed". Desperation can play into your hands, and those places are desperate to move cars. If they can't move the cars, then right back to auction they go to be liquidated, at auction prices. They want to avoid that, no doubt about it. I bought my GS from a GM/Saab dealership. Another source to look at, is the GM dealers in the upper crust areas of your town. What I found when I got my car, which was in a very high end suburb of Chicago, is that many folks are bringing in their expensive toys to get rid of them for cheaper alternatives. My GS was traded for a 2002 Honda Civic. A finance guy owned it, used it to drive to the train station and back (only drove it about 7k a year), and rode the train into Chicago to his office. Lost his job, ditched the car. Their lot was FULL of similiar stories, and the dealership was desperate to move the cars. They were asking nearly $18k for the car, and parted with it for mid $12k's. I could have walked the price down a little bit more, but I felt comfortable at that price level, where I got a good car, and they made a little money too. Gotta' be fair, cause Karma is a !Removed! sometimes.

Excellent post, NC211. I didn't see it until today, the 31st, as I have been out of town.

Love your new avatar. Hope the baby looks like Momma'.

I'm going to take your advice, and maybe buy a used but newer car. Here in Nevada, registration costs are almost the highest in the country, due to all the drunk drivers. Just went up again, too.

Funny thing is that my 94LS is like a woman you meet at midnight at the local establishment. Looks great and rides great. But you know that down the road or in the morning, it's trouble waiting to happen...

Best of luck on your move to Chi-town. I traveled for 30 years, and my motto was always "When in Rome, do like the Romans." Even if you wished you were someplace else.

He said buy a NEW car for under 45,000 USD.

Quote: "2. Buy a new car, priced at $45,000 or less"

Used cars are not an option from what the OP said.

If you can find a new Lexus LS460 for under 45 grand, go for it!

Let me know where you get yours, I'll buy one too!

An ES us just too grandma IMO, so that is NOT an option for me.

I don't see how the ES is any more grandma than the LS ;)

Seriously though, the ES350 is very similar to the LS...especially an older one. For $45k though I really would think about an '06 LS430, you might even be able to find an '07 LS460.

The ES is like a buick, kind of grandma. The LS is like a V12 Mercedes, the BIG DADDY of Lexus!

Hot young stud is the IS, nice for weekends, just not long term...

Just a woman's point of view.

and, LS envy is a terrible thing..... lol. ;)

Seriously though, the ES350 is very similar to the LS...especially an older one. For $45k though I really would think about an '06 LS430, you might even be able to find an '07 LS460.

I owned/leased both and the ES is definitely more grandma.

If you were considering a new car recently, than this sounds like a good option, unless you can get more than $3500 for your car in a private sale.

If not, why bother making the trade?

lot of time the amount of energy used in the manufacturing of the new car, as well as the mining of the materials used to contruct the car, is not taken into account, and at a 4MPG improvement, it might not really help the environment out as much as one would think...

And, to be honest, I got a steal on my 91 LS400 2 years ago in Vancouver and have a car which is nicer than most new vehicles, paid off, everyone thinks it was made in the 2000's, and it drives like a dream at 310,000 km's. If you are anything like me, Keep the cash in your account, enjoy your paid off LS, and swallow the whole few bucks per trip you take and call it a "luxury tax" for, well, riding in Luxury.

Good luck!

I think having a paid off car is huge in this current economic environment, so if it were me, I'd only trade and use the voucher only under circumstances where I could pay cash for the replacement car, otherwise, it's just cheaper to keep your 94 and fix it. Once you fix what you need to fix in these cars, it's like you have a brand new car again anyway, plus your miles are low which means you can keep it for a bit.

I plan on driving my LS until the wheels fall off and if that doesn't happen, I guess I'll be driving it forever.

No way. You're just reaching the point of ownership where these cars are a bargain. They are expensive to buy but they last forever. Total cost of ownership over the life cycle of the car is very reasonable. Sure you'll have some repairs but 200-300k miles is not a unrealistic.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and their own personal abilities in their wallets. Me? I'm not going to toss a couple grand every 18 months or so into a car that is already 15 years old. Age is age, and at some point, it hurts worse than abuse. All of those little rubber seals, gaskets, cushins, etc, start to wear out. I guess if you absolutely love your car, and the amount of work it takes to keep it going, then yeah, I'd be ok with keeping it. But if it's just a car to you, and you see a unique carrot stick that you probably won't get to see again, then take the carrot stick. If all else fails, you can always go buy another 15 year old Lexus and return to your roots.

I'll tell you honestly, when I sold my 95 in 07', I was sad for about a day, until I went out and started up my 2 year old 4runner that took it's place. Haven't missed the LS since. Great car, don't get me wrong. But I sure don't miss that feeling of wondering if that brake shimmy is due to a warped rotor, or a warped rotor + worn strut rod bushing + ball joint + god knows whatever else. Now, if the brakes shimmy, it's just a plain, ole' fashioned, warped rotor. I know it, and can fix it quick, easily, and cheaply. To me, it's worth the price.

I don't think you guys are aware but I don't believe this car will qualify under this program due to it getting such "high" mpg. Back when the car was introduced, Lexus made adjustments to the car in order for it to not get the gas guzzler tax levied onto it and coincidentally, it's only the cars that are considered gas guzzlers that qualify for this program.

Regarding mileage, the Lexus was rated higher for years, but remember the government recently issued "real world" mileage numbers that brought my 94 down to an average 18 mpg. That's why I think it may be eligible for the tax money. We all know that the mileage numbers on new cars were BS-especially on our American Road Hogs. And that everyone is stuck with lousy trade-in value beaters now. Bye, bye GM and Chrysler.

Regarding mileage, the Lexus was rated higher for years, but remember the government recently issued "real world" mileage numbers that brought my 94 down to an average 18 mpg. That's why I think it may be eligible for the tax money. We all know that the mileage numbers on new cars were BS-especially on our American Road Hogs. And that everyone is stuck with lousy trade-in value beaters now. Bye, bye GM and Chrysler.

Yeah I know but the calculation for MPG and "real world" MPG, aka the MPG rating done strictly for consumers is very different. For CAFE purposes, GM's cars average 27MPG but according to the "new EPA MPG ratings", most car companies like GM average about 22MPG. The cash for clunkers program is a bit vague and it doesn't specify what method they use to calculate MPG, I mean for all we know they could calculate it by the MPG WE get which would be kind of silly.

Has this Bill even passed yet? It is sponsored by that, er gentleman, Henry Waxman(D. Calif). Oh man, its hard to hold back....

Despite needing maintenance, the LS series is very difficult to beat in combined safety, gas mileage and overall repair costs.

I really cant see myself owning any other kind of primary car. I am hooked. All my friends think I must be some sort of rich guy to

own a Lex and they are all envious! I dont know why. I paid $14k for my 98, hardly expensive. They paid more for their new Camry's.

Yet everyone assumes I have big money. Curse of being in the know. Poor slobs! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I was looking for a second vehicle to back up my Explorer when I saw this 1990 Lexus LS 400. When I opened the hood I saw the little bottle of PS fluid so I knew it needed some work. It had a 120K but drove like a dream and the leather was in real good shape. At $2900 I jumped on it and really other than the PS pump I know I'm going to need, its in real good shape. Other than a Lincoln Town Car, this was my first real luxury sedan . It gets crappy mpg compared to what today's standard is but you know what? I'm keeping this. I think the 1st gens are a classic, most are still on the road and once you spend a little money and fix them right its a great car. Will we be talking about the 1st gens like we talk about the GTO's or the Shelby's... maybe not, but on a hot day going about 50 miles to Galveston, I know what I'd rather be driving.

Hello all, I was looking for a second vehicle to back up my Explorer when I saw this 1990 Lexus LS 400. When I opened the hood I saw the little bottle of PS fluid so I knew it needed some work. It had a 120K but drove like a dream and the leather was in real good shape. At $2900 I jumped on it and really other than the PS pump I know I'm going to need, its in real good shape. Other than a Lincoln Town Car, this was my first real luxury sedan . It gets crappy mpg compared to what today's standard is but you know what? I'm keeping this. I think the 1st gens are a classic, most are still on the road and once you spend a little money and fix them right its a great car. Will we be talking about the 1st gens like we talk about the GTO's or the Shelby's... maybe not, but on a hot day going about 50 miles to Galveston, I know what I'd rather be driving.

You'll probably want a new alternator too at some point, as when the PS pump starts to leak, it tends to drip down onto the alternator and shorts it out. Just keep your eye on it, and welcome to the club! ;)

I've been so back and forth about if this bill passes or not. My Lexus - a '92 LS400 - has low mileage for a car that is 17 years old, I just rolled 128,000 today pulling into the grocery store this morning. I love the ride. I love the luxury. I love the thoroughness of the design. I've replaced the upper control arms, I've replaced the PS pump, I had the solenoid cleaned and flushed. Timing belt? Taken care of. My mechanic friend that did said my water pump was in good shape so we didn't do that. I'm going in for new sway bar bushings this week to get some of the creaks and pops out.

That all being said I always wonder if this car is really an expensive albatross. For all the accolades it receives for it's reliability? I don't know. There are so many expensive failures just waiting to happen like my starter contacts. Need brakes. My screen went black. My AC doesn't blow cold (in Wyoming this really isn't a big deal) and worst/best of all I just really... the night when it was -20 below and my door actuator failed and I had to disassemble/reassemble the door and gave up re-attaching the light I fell out of love with it. Everything on this car is expensive. I keep thinking - $600 for a water pump job? $300 for new plugs and wires? That's 3 or 4 car payments right there. My driver seat is worn out. I don't live in an area where I Lexus would probably sell that quick. I'll get more for the CARS bill than a trade in and I won't have to have every weirdo in town come over and look at my car. I don't have time or live in a climate friendly enough 9 months out of the year to deal with the issues that keep cropping up - It hasn't been the greatest mountain car.

I think, even in this economy, if cash for clunkers pass I'm going to send the old girl out to pasture. It'll be sad, but I've been test driving a lot of cars that are in my budget range that are a lot of fun and will be a hell of a lot easier/cheaper to outfit and fix.