Rx300 Interior Custom Led "additions" *pics*

cduluk

Hey guys!!

Just thought i would post a few pictures of the interior of my Rx300 where i've added some LED modifications. A few years ago my cousin purchased an 07 Rx350 and i noticed some of the nice LED upgrades, such as blue LED's in the cupholder area, and LED's in the inside door handles. The night i got home, i drew up some plans and schematics to add these functions in my 03 Rx300 :D

In these pics you'll notice:

- green LED's in the coin drawer. I mounted a switch to control the lights to illuminate only when the drawer is opened. This is for all the nights at the drive-thru at Burger King fumbling with change :P

- green LED's in all 4 interior door handles. I chose green so that it would match the factory green of the radio console etc. I initially had amber like on the rx350, but decided green was a better match.

- blue LED's in the center top drawer illuminating everything in the cup holder area. I also created a white LED tube illuminating my radar detector controller and display. There is also a blue LED illuminating a "slit" at the opening end of the ashtray cover. Lastly a blue LED illuminating the handle area where you open the drawer.

- blue LED's illuminating the flip-up cup holder. When the cover is closed, the outline is illuminated as well.

I also have white LED's in all 3 dome lights, not pictured.

These lights may seem EXTREMELY bright, but they're just right. They also dim with the rest of the radio console lights etc as they're on the same circuit.

I hope you enjoy :) Please comment!!

dsc01211.jpg

dsc01214.jpg

dsc01215g.jpg

dsc01216.jpg

dsc01217l.jpg

I added another light mod too. I bought some rx330 illuminating scuff plates. Had to do some cutting, heating/melting/shaping etc but i got them to fit in pretty well! There's no way the Rx300 didn't mate with something else to produce the rx330, because these pieces were SO close in size. lol

Also changed out the amber to white-ish blue which i think looks much better. Now it matches the keyring hole i changed to the same whiteish blue.

These scuff plates now go one whenever the keyring light does because that's what i used as the power source. Just ran wires under the carpet to each location. Took 4-5 hours to do minus the trip to the accident room lol...

Got the scuff plates for $165 shipped to my door from ebay. The tan of the rx330 matches the tan of the rx300 perfectly. absolutely perfectly :)

Here are some pics! :) Tell me what you think.

dsc01318.jpg

dsc01319.jpg

dsc01320c.jpg

dsc01322.jpg

dsc01323.jpg

dsc01325m.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys (: Yes indeed the lighting in the center drawer is a help. At night you can't see a darn thing in there

Hey "C" glad to see your still at it!!

• 1 month later...
Hey guys!!

Just thought i would post a few pictures of the interior of my Rx300 where i've added some LED modifications. A few years ago my cousin purchased an 07 Rx350 and i noticed some of the nice LED upgrades, such as blue LED's in the cupholder area, and LED's in the inside door handles. The night i got home, i drew up some plans and schematics to add these functions in my 03 Rx300 :D

In these pics you'll notice:

- green LED's in the coin drawer. I mounted a switch to control the lights to illuminate only when the drawer is opened. This is for all the nights at the drive-thru at Burger King fumbling with change :P

- green LED's in all 4 interior door handles. I chose green so that it would match the factory green of the radio console etc. I initially had amber like on the rx350, but decided green was a better match.

- blue LED's in the center top drawer illuminating everything in the cup holder area. I also created a white LED tube illuminating my radar detector controller and display. There is also a blue LED illuminating a "slit" at the opening end of the ashtray cover. Lastly a blue LED illuminating the handle area where you open the drawer.

- blue LED's illuminating the flip-up cup holder. When the cover is closed, the outline is illuminated as well.

I also have white LED's in all 3 dome lights, not pictured.

These lights may seem EXTREMELY bright, but they're just right. They also dim with the rest of the radio console lights etc as they're on the same circuit.

I hope you enjoy :) Please comment!!

dsc01211.jpg

dsc01214.jpg

dsc01215g.jpg

dsc01216.jpg

dsc01217l.jpg

Outstanding! Humbling, but outstanding. What is the in your ash try - controler?

• 7 months later...
How did you change the scuff lights from amber to blue/white? Where did you find the blue leds?

Uhhh all i did was replace the amber LED in the unit with a blue one, and replace the resistor to compensate for the difference in voltage and current. And since this was a complete retrofit (the Rx300 doesn't have these from the factory, they were from an Rx330) i did all the other wiring myself :D

I got the LED's from mouser electronics and the resistors from.... well not sure exactly, somewhere online :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking about changing the green lights that are in the center console to be white. I have seen a thread on how to do this, but i didn't bookmark it. Does anyone know where that is, or have ever seen/done this?

• 6 months later...

Hey C

Do you have a step by step on these? Which bulbs did you purchase. Were they white LEDs with a blue plastic cover for the effect in the centre console or was it blue LEDs altogether?

I have blue lights in the centre console already but not sure if they are LEDs. I have an 05 rx400.

I would love to see how you did the panels and which bulbs you used there. Cheers.

Hey C

Do you have a step by step on these? Which bulbs did you purchase. Were they white LEDs with a blue plastic cover for the effect in the centre console or was it blue LEDs altogether?

I have blue lights in the centre console already but not sure if they are LEDs. I have an 05 rx400.

I would love to see how you did the panels and which bulbs you used there. Cheers.

Unfortunately i don't have step by step instructions for adding the blue lights to the center cubby... I can tell you i used blue LED's and that it was pretty simple to wire them up, just had to drill holes in the console wherever i wanted them. If you click on the last link in my signature "TUTORIAL: Cup Holder Cover Wood Conversion Project (Rx300)" you can see how i wired the LED's in the flip-up cup holder of the Rx300. I was doing it for someone else and took pics along the way. I had done mine the same way.

And you said you have an 05 Rx400? Is that a typo? If you have the Rx400h (06-08) then the blue lights in the cubby and cup-holder area are indeed blue LED's.

• 2 months later...

I have an RX350 2010 pretty loaded. The first complaint I had about this truck was the lack of ambient light in the console area! You can't see anything in the center or on the console above where the interior map light are. Who could I get to do some things like you picture here? I'm handy enough to do an oil change and thats about it. By the way, where did you put the switches for all those lights?

There is a speed and sound shop in my town. I'm thinking (for a small fortune I'm sure) they do things like this. I see alot of kids and their "fast and furious" honda civics, suburus, etc there.

I have an RX350 2010 pretty loaded. The first complaint I had about this truck was the lack of ambient light in the console area! You can't see anything in the center or on the console above where the interior map light are. Who could I get to do some things like you picture here? I'm handy enough to do an oil change and thats about it. By the way, where did you put the switches for all those lights?

There is a speed and sound shop in my town. I'm thinking (for a small fortune I'm sure) they do things like this. I see alot of kids and their "fast and furious" honda civics, suburus, etc there.

Hmm.. honestly i don't know of any shops or people that do this type of stuff, at least not without "already-built" systems. It's not really possible to build and sell pre-fab'd parts that one can install as most of the work requires drilling and complicated wiring...

And there aren't (well, "weren't") any switches for the light additions i added, i just wired them up to go on with the factory lights. They even dimmed with the dimmer switch just like the rest.

Hmm.. honestly i don't know of any shops or people that do this type of stuff, at least not without "already-built" systems. It's not really possible to build and sell pre-fab'd parts that one can install as most of the work requires drilling and complicated wiring...

And there aren't (well, "weren't") any switches for the light additions i added, i just wired them up to go on with the factory lights. They even dimmed with the dimmer switch just like the rest.

Could you give me an example of an "already-built" system. Do you mean a kit of some sort? I'm sure there would be something I could live with. The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that most Lexus dealerships won't touch this. I am basically talking about some lights under the console, (the 2010 has a large opening between the two front seats) then maybe a few under the back seats, and finally, one in the cupholder area. Wireing the system to come on and off with the rest of the interior lights is good. I would also like to have a switch somewhere to turn them on and off alone as well. There seem to be plenty of "blank" switch covers in tthis truck. Thanks.