Lexus Ls400 Vs Buick Regal Gs

chillin245

Hey, i'v decided im gonna go for a 4 door sedan, i was considering a sc400 but the 2 doors just isnt practical.

Anyway my decision is down to the 2 cars from the title.

the ls400 would be 92-94 with about 100-150k miles on it.

while the buick would be 97-02 with about 75-125k miles on it.

Basically i know the lexus is more reliable, but how much more? and also which car is safer? and is the lexus drive quality and suspension really that much better than buicks? thanks.

Hey, i'v decided im gonna go for a 4 door sedan, i was considering a sc400 but the 2 doors just isnt practical.

Basically i know the lexus is more reliable, but how much more? and also which car is safer? and is the lexus drive quality and suspension really that much better than buicks? thanks.

Lexus....and it's not even close, IMO.

Just drove an 08 Buick Lucerne rental for three weeks. I'm shocked but understand, I think...........What a POS.. my friend followed me home in my 08 ls from Houston and we had high winds. She, being a Bimmer girl could not get out of it fast enough. All over the road. As a matter of fact we agreed my old 90ls was no comparison. We unaminously felt the 90ls was far superior to the 08 Buick. Does that answer your question?

From a safety point of view, newer cars can be safer. The NHSTA should have safety ratings for both cars.

I am quite impressed by side airbags after a friend got saved by them.

You don't buy a car everyday. Test drive and get the one you like.

I've driven both the LS & GS Regals. The GS definitely has

more power and I believe the sways bars are a bit heavier

(don't know if they changed the wheel/tire setup), so the

handling felt tighter. You're going to pay more at the pump

for the supercharged version. As for comparing the Buick

with the Lexus - there is no comparison. The interior of the

Buick uses totally lower grade materials. Plastic pieces were

either broken or not functioning (ie - cup holders), switches

felt flimsy and ready to break, sunroof was half size. Best

thing about the GS was what sounded like a tuned exhast

note on hard acceleration. It might have the best reputation

among GM cars for reliability, but it's still a GM.

A neighbour of mine bought a 07 Lucerne and has already

had the tranny replaced. I don't think I've read anywhere

in this forum of this happening to an LS400. Be aware the

3.8 L has well known intake manifold gasket issues and as

far as I know GM has a secret warranty for this problem.

As for safety, The Lexus is a bigger car. Look at the gov't

stats for injuries in automobile accidents and I think you'll

find that in general, bigger is safer. Saw a crash test for

the Smart car or maybe it's called ForTwo Stateside.

The car remarkably suffered less damage than the testers

expected because of the hard cage structure but the

dummies showed that even with air bags, both the driver

and passenger would have been killed because there was

minimal crumple zone to absorb the impact.

As for suspension and drive quality, that's something imo,

that's very subjective and requires test driving any car you're

considering, preferably one right after the other. Hope this

helps. There are plenty of comments on your points of interest

on this forum from other owners. I would also check out forums

for Buick/GM. Good luck. I'm pretty confident that once you do

the research and comparisons you'll be driving a Lexus.

I didn't come across any info on the old LSs crash tests, but the Regal did ok: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=68 The LS got a passenger's side airbag in 1993.

Which one rides better? That's completely subjective. I've never driven a Regal, but I'd bet that it's going to be more softly sprung and even more isolated than a LS. The Regal will have a lesser quality interior, but that would be because the Buick sold for $30,000 less than a base LS when they were both new, so imagine that! The Buick will be cheaper to keep on the road with the 6cyl engine and cheaper parts. Which one is better for you? Only you can answer that question after driving both of them.

I think the answer lies in whether you see the car you drive as an appliance like a toaster or a toothbrush or as something that makes your life better or worse depending on what it is. I don't spend a lot of time in my cars, but I want to enjoy the experience. I have occasion to use rental cars fairly often, and I usually can't wait to give them back to whoever rented them to me. My personal ride is a MB S430 and my partner drives an LS430. Both those cars make me smile (for different reasons) when I'm behind the wheel or riding as a passenger. This isn't some zen notion, it's just whether you like what you drive or whether it's just a way to get from home to the gym. The Lexus will make you smile, if smiling is what you want to do.

On the mechanical side, I have had an ES300, a GS300, and now the LS430 Lexus brands. I put a combined 160k miles on the ES and GS and never had a repair on either one except expendables (brake pads, fluids, WSW blades, and so on). I've only had the LS for a few months, but it promises to continue the reliability. I doubt the Buick will give you that kind of service.

Like others say, it's whatever floats your boat.

Comparing Lexus to Buick is like comparing Hulk Hogan to Steve Urkel.

I love America, but one thing to know about American cars is that they are NOT reliable. I know some people might argue with that, but in my opinion and experience an import, even years older than an American car, will outlast it considerably.

I put +74k miles on my 91 LS400 in 1.5 years. ~114k to ~188k. Never replaced a thing except filters, fluids, brakes, etc. No repairs no problems.

Doing that in ANY American vehicle would be nothing short of a miracle.

go through this site and look at how many miles some folks have on their ls 400 (some have 400k). if you can get 1/2 that with a buick i'd be surprised. i personally have 170k miles on a 1996 ls 400 and never think twice about jumping in the car for a long road trip. these cars are predictable and reliable. on top of that, there's no better driving car (for comfort, quiet, ride quality) on the road. you would be a fool to get the buick in my opinion. plus, resale on these is so much better than any american car.

buick makes some of the most reliable cars on the road. Maybe not lexus reliable, but close. My dad has an 92 olds 88. car hass 320k on original engine and tranny. car still feels solid.

No need to bash american when you dont know. Buick has some of the lowest problems per 100 in the industry as well. I beleive the buick century was rated most reliable vehicle too. A century is a sedated regal.

Most reliable vehicle out of what? No need to get feelings hurt.

American cars are generally not even comparably reliable to Imports. Especially Lexus.

Besides Consumer reports (a few years back) rated the Lexus LS best, and most reliable car ever made or something along those lines, I think I lost the article.

buick makes some of the most reliable cars on the road. Maybe not lexus reliable, but close. My dad has an 92 olds 88. car hass 320k on original engine and tranny. car still feels solid.

No need to bash american when you dont know. Buick has some of the lowest problems per 100 in the industry as well. I beleive the buick century was rated most reliable vehicle too. A century is a sedated regal.

My parents bought a new LeSabre in 1986, and it ran 9 years and 200,000+ miles with no trouble at all, and that doesn't seem out of the ordinary based on what I read on the Buick forum. It would probably still be around if it didn't get crashed; it was a terrific car--no timing belt, no power steering problems, no bushing problems, just a good solid car!

American cars are generally not even comparably reliable to Imports. Especially Lexus.

Besides Consumer reports (a few years back) rated the Lexus LS best, and most reliable car ever made or something along those lines, I think I lost the article.

JD Power put Buick right up there with Lexus: http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2007...004645328_x.htm Lexus might be the most "reliable," but that doesn't mean they don't have their fair share of problems that aren't cheap to fix like the number of electrical problems, the fussy suspension components, timing belts, etc. A timing belt service and a new steering rack can replace anything you want to on a Buick...twice.

Who reads Consumer Reports anymore?? They wouldn't say something bad about a Honda or Toyota if someone had a gun to their heads. LOL

Who reads Consumer Reports anymore?? They wouldn't say something bad about a Honda or Toyota if someone had a gun to their heads. LOL

You are incorrect. They totally bashed (as much as CR does at least) the FJ Cruiser and rated it among the lowest off road SUVs (Xterra was #1). They also dropped the "Recommended" title from the 2007 Camry when the repair issues started coming to light. My biggest gripe with them is that they will assume Toyotas and Hondas are reliable even for new models and redesigns, but give no such benefits to other makes. Perhaps Toyotas and Hondas have earned this right, but I would still prefer they didn't do it.

Consumer Reports should be used a a reliability indicator, as well as a comparison against the auto mags out there. Since CR buys their cars off the lot, sometimes you'll see a major difference between their reviews and those for Edmunds or Car & Driver (who are given samples to test). A lot of times the sample cars will get much more expensive tires than you'll get on the lot - something I've learned to watch out for.

You are incorrect. They totally bashed (as much as CR does at least) the FJ Cruiser and rated it among the lowest off road SUVs (Xterra was #1). They also dropped the "Recommended" title from the 2007 Camry when the repair issues started coming to light. My biggest gripe with them is that they will assume Toyotas and Hondas are reliable even for new models and redesigns, but give no such benefits to other makes. Perhaps Toyotas and Hondas have earned this right, but I would still prefer they didn't do it.

Consumer Reports should be used a a reliability indicator, as well as a comparison against the auto mags out there. Since CR buys their cars off the lot, sometimes you'll see a major difference between their reviews and those for Edmunds or Car & Driver (who are given samples to test). A lot of times the sample cars will get much more expensive tires than you'll get on the lot - something I've learned to watch out for.

I didn't mean that in a literal sense. ;) We've discussed them bashing the new Camry on this forum, and rightly so since they don't build them like they did in the '90's when they probably did deserve the benefit of the doubt when the next generation came out. I also know that they said the new AWD GS has below average reliability, so they do say bad things on occasion. I completely agree that they shouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt when a brand new model comes out. I'd like to see them incorporate maintenance and repair costs in to used car ratings more than anything similar to what Motor Trend does with their long term tests when they post what tires, brakes, and other wearing items cost.

I didn't mean that in a literal sense.

Ah ok, sometimes sarcasm is lost on the interwebs :) Threadjack over, back to the regular discussion about how much better Lexus is than Buick, as if you'd expect any other answer from the Lexus Owners Club heh heh

JD Power put Buick right up there with Lexus: http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2007...004645328_x.htm Lexus might be the most "reliable," but that doesn't mean they don't have their fair share of problems that aren't cheap to fix like the number of electrical problems, the fussy suspension components, timing belts, etc. A timing belt service and a new steering rack can replace anything you want to on a Buick...twice.

yeah this article was written in 2007. isn't the original poster looking at a low-mid 1990's ls 400? i would agree that the playing field may have somewhat leveled on reliability TODAY, but for someone looking to buy a car 10-15 years old, there's no question to go with the lexus. notice the article says it's the first time in 12 years (dating back to a 1995) that lexus has SHARED the title of most reliable.

I think you have narrowed your two choices down well...

The LS is a real Luxury automobile, top of the line in every way.

The Buick is one of America's last remaining stalwarts of reliability, with a supple ride feel, and usually a quiet ride as well.

Gm has a brand called Cadillac, and dollar for dollar, Lexus surpasses it. Cadillac is considered superior to Buick in all ways except reliability and fuel economy(please correct me if I am wrong).

Both will be good cars, but I feel that the LExus is a GREAT car. My Gen 1 91 LS400 rides nicer than most brand new cars, including Buick, and the depreciation will not be realized by my wallet due to the likely longevity of the car, as well as the low price I paid.

I hope you make the choice thats best for you, and I think we all look forward to seeing pictures of your new Lexus!

There is no comparision. Having owned 2 and rented a couple I would never consider a Buick. Seems to me they are very popular with older people who drive slowly. I like to rip.

My parents bought a new LeSabre in 1986, and it ran 9 years and 200,000+ miles with no trouble at all, and that doesn't seem out of the ordinary based on what I read on the Buick forum. It would probably still be around if it didn't get crashed; it was a terrific car--no timing belt, no power steering problems, no bushing problems, just a good solid car!

thanks for backing me up. I love lexus, but you gotta give praise when its deserved.

get either car. they are both good/great in different aspects. really just depends on budget and preference. its all you dude.

Which one rides better? That's completely subjective. I've never driven a Regal, but I'd bet that it's going to be more softly sprung and even more isolated than a LS. The Regal will have a lesser quality interior, but that would be because the Buick sold for $30,000 less than a base LS when they were both new, so imagine that! The Buick will be cheaper to keep on the road with the 6cyl engine and cheaper parts. Which one is better for you? Only you can answer that question after driving both of them.

I've driven the Regals, nowhere near as smooth or as isolated as the LS.

There are very few cars in existance that ride as smoothly or as quietly as a Lexus LS...

There are very few cars in existance that ride as smoothly or as quietly as a Lexus LS...

I'll second that! I have not owned very many high end cars, but I have yet to find one that rides a nicely as the LS or is so easy to drive at highway speeds.

My neighbor used to drive a green Buick Regal. She got rid of it after 2 years for a Honda Accord. At that time her husband drove an Oldsmobile Bravada. Now they both drive Accords. Apparently their experiences with GM products were not very good. Big surprise.