So If You Had To Complain About Something?

wrpsuite

If there was something on our LS' s that you would complain about or have designed differently what would it be? Lets keep in mind the technology that was available when the car was designed and that even by todays standard these are someof the most outstanding autos ever produced...

so this is real nitpicking...

I'll start:

1. When you turn on the radio that obnoxious static until the antenna is fully extended. Surely they could have put a delay on the radio.

On my 92LS I find the seats terrible. Really the only bad aspect of the car - they give me a pain after about 1/2 hour. Of course to their credit, Lexus fixed that problem in 95. My 98 GS has wonderful seats.

There's not much I'd change on my 2000, but here it goes.

Steering wheel stereo controls.

2 position heated seat controls (they aren't hot enough).

More wood trim, like on the side of the doors.

Larger cupholders that extend further out from the armrest.

A trip computer that includes metric to imperial or US conversion.

Nicer styled OEM rims.

Variable delay on auto headlights.

That's about it. The car is still pretty new to me, and impresses me more each and every day.

Hmmm..

I have a 2005 LS

Things I would alter, add, remove or change:

1) I would get rid of the voice command. Silly and only works intermittantly.

2) How about an aux input/iPod input and the ability to play MP3s (for $64k it should play MP3s).

3) I second the above vote for better cup holders.

4) Single CD in addition to the changer. The ES had this.

5) Better base. My ES330 had tighter and more developed base. Though the LS is far superior in midrange.

6) Navigation system management should be available at any speed if a passenger is present and belted.

7) Navigation should not be limited by region. The multiple region configuration is constantly a pain in the neck.

8) The passenger seat should always have the same build and adjustments that the drivers seat does.

Nine items sounds terrible, but they at worst are minor quibbles. This is easily the finest automobile I have ever owned. I am a very happy Lexus customer.

ES330 - sold - never a single issue - 75K miles

LS430 - not a single issue - 37K miles

Most of the stuff I have to have in my car has been addressed in the newer generations. In my car, I would like:

1) A separate power outlet for my cell phone.

2) A CD changer inside (mine is in the trunk. I could have had one inside, but the Lexus CD changer that goes in the glove is too expensive)

3) Bigger cup holders

4) More wood trim (models prior to the 430 were pretty spartan on wood)

None of this stuff is a show stopper.

If there was something on our LS' s that you would complain about or have designed differently what would it be? Lets keep in mind the technology that was available when the car was designed and that even by todays standard these are someof the most outstanding autos ever produced...

so this is real nitpicking...

I'll start:

1. When you turn on the radio that obnoxious static until the antenna is fully extended. Surely they could have put a delay on the radio.

Variable delay on auto headlights.

Perhaps customizing one of the settings under "Light Control" in the attached document might help.

Thanks for the link, but to perform that function involves handing over cash to the dealer.

My old Lincoln's and Cadillacs had the variable delay way back in the 80's ... Lexus should've had

it standard by 2000?

The lack of the outside temperature gauge on the 1990-92 models. This was a feature that was available on American cars (electronically), as early as at least 1990 on the Cadillac (maybe even earlier) and Lincoln and Buick added it in 1991 on the Park Avenue. Back in the early 1970s, Cadillac had outside temperature gauges, but they were "dial" type and mounted nicely onto the drivers side door mirror. :) Mercedes had outside temperature gauges (LCD type) beginning in 1983 I think.

I'm all about the trip computer, Lincoln had been doing tis long ago and Lexus missed that options.

My '96 doesn't have one, nor does my wife's Avalon - so I am figuring on rectifying the omission with a Scanguage II in each car (unless I can find something nicer :-)). I kinda found the trip computer in the '98 I drove somewhat garish - but was a short drive at twilight.

92 LS400:

1. Polygraphite bushings from the start w/zerk fittings. These OEM rubber ones suck!

2. Speed variable volume on the radio, I know they are so quiet but it is a cool feature.

3. How about serviceable ball joints!

4. A/C control displays that last as long as the radio display.

5. Bigger trunk

Other than 1 and 4, these were design issues, but its still a very nice car.

94 ls400

other than the actual defects,

1. bigger cup holders, holding that huge Arizona tea while driving is dangerous!

2. the steering wheel seems high to me, even on the lowest setting, but i have only driven trucks before this.

3. the glove compartment is small, i can only fit gloves in there!

4. the remote unlock range is ridiculous, if i miss that sweet spot to unlock the door, it wont unlock via remote at all.

I have a first gen (93)

Besides defects (like the cupholder cover's breaking, Seat backs coming loose, Weak Door handles, Climate control and speedo probs)

1. I wish the seats were firmer (like a 95's) and had more side bolsters.

2. I'd like a little more wood(not gaudy, just a little more)

3. I'd like a smaller, thicker steering wheel.

4. More interior ambient lighting (like under the seats for rear passengers and in the center console)

5. A switch to turn on all interior lights

6. LED 3rd brake light (gs300's had em, why not top dog ls400s?)

7. Interior lights turn on when unlocking car

8. More storage space!

9. Bigger glovebox

10. Electronic info center for instant and avg fuel econ, and other systems (like a 98 LS, or any caddy or BMW 5-series since 1980)

11. Better headlights and integrated fogs in the bumper.

I know all these probs were fixed by 98 or 2001, except the GIANT steering wheel.

I still love my car. And will be getting another one in the future.

My biggest complaint is being 6'4" in a car that isn't designed for someone my height. But otherwise, I'm very pleased with the workmanship my old '95 LS with 301,000 mostly trouble-free miles.

Another complaint thread....

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...t=0#entry185667

1. The one thing I cannot stand is the way the cruise control operates. I hate the way you always have to reset the set speed when the car slows below a certain speed or you come to a stop. It would be nice to be able to just hit resume.

This isn't just a Lexus thing. It's a Toyota thing. My '87 Camry worked the same way.

2. How come the power windows remain operable after you turn the ignition off (for a short time or open the door), but power to the sunroof is cut off immediately?

If you're going to flash a reminder on the dash that the sunroof is open after I shut down, why not keep the sunroof powered up like the windows?

1. The one thing I cannot stand is the way the cruise control operates. I hate the way you always have to reset the set speed when the car slows below a certain speed or you come to a stop. It would be nice to be able to just hit resume.

This isn't just a Lexus thing. It's a Toyota thing. My '87 Camry worked the same way.

2. How come the power windows remain operable after you turn the ignition off (for a short time or open the door), but power to the sunroof is cut off immediately?

If you're going to flash a reminder on the dash that the sunroof is open after I shut down, why not keep the sunroof powered up like the windows?

How about wiring the power to the sunroof into the power window buss? The speed control works that way for safety I believe. Do any of your cars cruise controls work your prefered way?

I got another; directional rims, you cant rotate the tires but one way.

The Seats in the 2006 LS430 do a miserable job of cooling and heating compared to the less expensive Lexus' When I receive a loaner ES the air coming from the seat pan and back is easily felt, in the LS there is NO air at all

How about wiring the power to the sunroof into the power window buss? The speed control works that way for safety I believe. Do any of your cars cruise controls work your prefered way?

I got another; directional rims, you cant rotate the tires but one way.

I have no desire to hack into the wiring. The intent of this thread is to nit-pick design, etc. But thanks for the recommendation.

GM, Ford, Acura/Honda, Chrysler cruise controls all operate the way I'd prefer.

The little space next to the stock CD changer in the 2nd gens (or at least my 98) is just large enough for 5 CD cases, one less than the number of CDs the changer holds. It's also just barely too small to accommodate two extra CD magazines. (It could easily have been made larger.)