Regular Unleaded Gas

I purchased a 2003 Lexus ES300 6 months ago and since my purchase I have been using regular unleaded gasoline. I hear from a lot of people that I should use premium gas, but some people tell me it is okay to use regular. I haven't noticed any problems with the car, it seems to run smooth to me. But I have noticed that I get less gas mileage on the car in the last couple of weeks. Usually when I would fill my car up, it would give me a range of about 310 miles, now it gives me a range of 295 miles, does anyone know what could be causing me to get 15 miles less? I get the oil changed regularly, I might need to get the transmissions serviced. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I purchased a 2003 Lexus ES300 6 months ago and since my purchase I have been using regular unleaded gasoline. I hear from a lot of people that I should use premium gas, but some people tell me it is okay to use regular. I haven't noticed any problems with the car, it seems to run smooth to me. But I have noticed that I get less gas mileage on the car in the last couple of weeks. Usually when I would fill my car up, it would give me a range of about 310 miles, now it gives me a range of 295 miles, does anyone know what could be causing me to get 15 miles less? I get the oil changed regularly, I might need to get the transmissions serviced. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Atlanta, HOT Atlanta, summertime....more use of the A/C...?

The Car Talk guys Click and Clack on NPR say that it is a joke for manufactures to tell you to use higher octane gas. They do admit that you will not get as good a gas mileage with just regular gas. That could account for your less range. I have been alternating between regular and middle grade gas for years because if I use all regular I can tell there is a slight hesitation in acceleration. The hardest part about that method is remembering what you last put in the tank.

The Car Talk guys Click and Clack on NPR say that it is a joke for manufactures to tell you to use higher octane gas. They do admit that you will not get as good a gas mileage with just regular gas. That could account for your less range. I have been alternating between regular and middle grade gas for years because if I use all regular I can tell there is a slight hesitation in acceleration. The hardest part about that method is remembering what you last put in the tank.

Okay that is what I was thinking. Thanks so much for your response. I will more than likely continue to use regular since it isn't such a big deal.

Atlanta, HOT Atlanta, summertime....more use of the A/C...?

I guess that could also be it, but I am talking about how you can see the range on the dashboard when you first fill up the tank...it wouldn't know before hand that I am going to make more stops or that I am going to use A/C would it? I figured that when you first fill up the tank it gives you the range that you should get and then once you start to use it and if you use A/C or are in more stop and go traffic that would cause the mileage to drop more quickly versus it just showing less mileage right off the bat. I don't know, but I guess it isn't such a big deal...I was just wondering. My main thing was that I wanted to make sure that I could use regular gasoline and it would not cause problems down the line with my car. Thanks for your response.

you will be fine.

The 2003 ES engine is not a high compression engine and does not require premium. The manual says is will run fine on regular unleaded, "however for better performance then 91 or better can be used".

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told that higher octane gas is not that much better unless your engine requires a higher temperature during combustion. So if you use regular which burns at a lower temperature, your engine might misfire. i do not know how often this happens in the ES, just what someone told me in another forum.

andy

you will be fine.

The 2003 ES engine is not a high compression engine and does not require premium. The manual says is will run fine on regular unleaded, "however for better performance then 91 or better can be used".

steviej

My '99 ES300 has burned 89 octane (regular unleaded) Acro, Shell, and Chevron gas (pretty much in that order) for over 65k miles without noticeable pinging ever. I've put a few tanks of premium (91-92 octane) through it just to see, and I can't detect a performance difference, though the idle does seem a teeny bit smoother.

Just my $0.02

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

I have used Premium 99.999% of the time but have 2-3 times used regular and didn't noticed a difference but does the Octane has anything to do with the injectors life? Or any long term performance issues that can be of concern? All of my cars' manuals have recommended Minimum 91. Anyone...

• 7 months later...
I have used Premium 99.999% of the time but have 2-3 times used regular and didn't noticed a difference but does the Octane has anything to do with the injectors life? Or any long term performance issues that can be of concern? All of my cars' manuals have recommended Minimum 91. Anyone...

I use premium all the time and I do not believe those engineers saying premium does not help because the car runs better on premium, smoother acceleration, more oomph, when i put regular, the car runs just like that, regular. So how can they say premium is unnecessary? Just a personal opinion and experience.

• 6 months later...

• 10 months later...

I use premium all the time and I do not believe those engineers saying premium does not help because the car runs better on premium, smoother acceleration, more oomph, when i put regular, the car runs just like that, regular. So how can they say premium is unnecessary? Just a personal opinion and experience.

Brother,I agree with you big time! I can certainly tell the difference.