benalexe

Hi,

If you had 20,000 to spend on th car and you could:

A) Get a new Camery or other new car.

B) Get an lexus ES 330 2004 with about 40K miles

C) Get an Lexus LS430 with about 80,000

D) other...

What would you get??

Some more details.... you want to finance the car and keep for about 8 years. You do 15K a year...

*I* would probably get a new Camry, but thats just me. I have an aversion to used cars. Although, you can't even get much new Camry for $20k...

Planning on keeping it for 8 years and 120k miles makes buying used tough, in that situation I would probably go for the 04 ES330 at around 40k miles. You can still buy a factory extended warranty for that to 100k or 7 years, and you'll be further from any kind of expensive maintenance. The LS is more car, but at 80k you're coming up on the car needing the 90k maintenance which will run you a grand at least no matter where you take it. The reverse of that is once you do the 90k maintenance, the LS will be a pleasure to drive well past 200k miles (the 90k will have to be done again at 180k). The ES will be too, but the LS ages better.

i would...take out a loan. and buy a hybrid camry (thats camry with no E's lol)

or perhaps there are some used 07 camry's already? check with your dealer. they would be a steal.

edit: i just did a quick search of used cars on toyota.com in my area. THere are a ton of used Camry hybrids and regulars. The camry hybrids might be a bit much, but there are a lot around 18K to 25K

i would...take out a loan. and buy a hybrid camry (thats camry with no E's lol)

or perhaps there are some used 07 camry's already? check with your dealer. they would be a steal.

edit: i just did a quick search of used cars on toyota.com in my area. THere are a ton of used Camry hybrids and regulars. The camry hybrids might be a bit much, but there are a lot around 18K to 25K

In my area, Long Island New York, there are not many cmary hybrids on the market. But... not sure that the Hybrid is the way to go for a few reasons... The gas millage is not that much better than a regular camery and the premium would not pay off.

In addition, the technology is still new and repairs could be very expensive.

Just was looking around... Although I really really like the Lexus, it seem that for abotu $22,000 I can get a loaded 2005 Avalon. It probably has more features than the lex and is less expensive.

That may be the way to go. Any thoughts?

Just was looking around... Although I really really like the Lexus, it seem that for abotu $22,000 I can get a loaded 2005 Avalon. It probably has more features than the lex and is less expensive.

That may be the way to go. Any thoughts?

Hey. If I were you, I would stick with Toyota. Lexus vehicles are a little more expensive than your price range (for now, but eventually you'll get to a Lexus. ), but a comparable Toyota would make you feel like you own a Lexus. A 2005 Avalon isn't too bad. What's the mileage and price?

Quick research finds this...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...leadExists=true

A 2005 with 27K miles limited model loaded with navigation, heated and cooled seats for $24,998.

Not too bad...

Although I really like the lexus, it seems like you can get more for you money with the avalon. The avalon is definitly more grandfatherly. Being that i am 36 I would look better in the lex. but....

pricing is always an issue for me.

An equil lex ex 330 would probably be about 29K with more miles, and would not get the same features (cooled seats, better radio etc.)

I also think the avalon is larger than the es in interior space.

When I had the 20k in my hand my options were, A new mazda 3, new mazda 6 I4, a CPO Subaru Legacy, a CPO Acura TL, and a CPO Camry. Somehow I ended up with my 02 GS300 from a private seller. I have no regrets and I've never recieved so many compliments on my car before, or actually any compliments on any of my cars before the GS. A year into ownership and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Quick research finds this...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...leadExists=true

A 2005 with 27K miles limited model loaded with navigation, heated and cooled seats for $24,998.

Not too bad...

Although I really like the lexus, it seems like you can get more for you money with the avalon. The avalon is definitly more grandfatherly. Being that i am 36 I would look better in the lex. but....

pricing is always an issue for me.

An equil lex ex 330 would probably be about 29K with more miles, and would not get the same features (cooled seats, better radio etc.)

I also think the avalon is larger than the es in interior space.

The Avalon would be my choice too. In all honesty, the Toyota quality has been blended so much these days, it's a little tough to tell what the difference is between a Lexus badge and a Toyota badge. My folks have one of those Solaro "i can never spell that right" convertibles, and it's one of the smoothest, quietest and nicest cars I've EVER driven. When it come time to pass on my LS, I'm going to give the Avalon a good hard look. If it's anything like the Solaro in terms of operational smoothness, it just might trump a higher mileage used LS430...might... not positive.

Since you are planning to keep the car for the next 8 years, my vote would be for the LS. The LS430s are built to last, so at 200k, she will be just broken in. The one downside is that the factory warranty will be expired. Parts/repairs are quite pricey on the LS, but they are infrequent.

Tough call on the car... I hvae a friend who I work with that has a 1990 Jaguar XKS 12 cylander. 67,000 miles. I know you can't compare the quality of a jag to the quality of a lexus.

But... He was having a problem with his power steering... broght it to a friend- to fix using genuine jag parts $2,000 or aftermarket $1,600.

So then he fixes it and let's say the fuel pump goes??? or the water pump.... So you say welll, can't dump the car because I just put 2k into it, so he puts another G into it. and so on and so on and so on.

As I said you can't compare the lexus quality to the Jag but similar things can happen with an older car.

Jags, ESPECIALLY 1990 vintage Jags are horrible in terms of reliability, ESPECIALLY those V12s...yikes.

You can't compare that to the experience you'd have with a higher mileage LS430 at all. The LS is one of the most reliable cars on the road. Take Blake's car. That thing was 220k miles and a mess when he bought it. He put some work into it and turned it into a beauty! If you get one with 80k miles thats been maintained, thats just getting started.

The Avalon sounds like a pretty good deal...

Well a computer or the tranny in any car can go, but tell me this. Have you ever heard of a transmission failing on an LS on any Lexus forum? The ES yes, but not the LS. How about an engine computer? I've been on Lexus boards for 5 years, I've NEVER heard of such a failure on an LS.

1) MR2 rebuilt, w' turbo v6 dropped in

2) Supra, the value rises if you keep the miles alittle low

3) Camry hybrid - I can get 60-70mpg out of my civic, a P&G driver should get 70mpg out of a Camry hybrid

4) LS430 - Too good to pass up

5) ES330 - because v6 ES kills i4 Camry platform

Own a v6 jag, then spend $1500-2000 on converting to aftermarket EFI & fueling. Less fire potential that way lmao!

How about an engine computer? I've been on Lexus boards for 5 years, I've NEVER heard of such a failure on an LS.

Ah, SWO, have we forgotten about us Gen II guys with bad ECM's that cause the car to stall after haighway driving, and/or off-throttle-shock due to the ECM dropping the fuel supply too quickly to the engine upon removing your foot from the gas? :whistles: :cheers:

That's why I recommend buying a G35 over the ES anyday. Plus, it just makes the driver look cooler! Not all "mr. responsible real estate big shot!" Hahahaa!!!

benalex, can the LS be pricey to repair? Yes, it can. But will you have your head under the car every weekend repairing something that has prematurely worn out, or repairing something that you've alread repaired? Nope. Once it's fixed, it's fixed for another 100k+. The trick is picking the RIGHT LS to start with. Any car will have problems if abused. Case in point, I have aftermarket rear carrier bushings on my back wheels. If you ask the guys on here if they've had to replace their set within 40k miles, they'll probably say no. But, I am facing that repair again, because I ABUSED the car a few months a go when I did a pedal-to-the-medal spinout on a dirt road then hit pavement and left some serious rubber on the pavement. Too much torque when the wheels where spinning at 40 mph, then hit the pavement has loosened up the bushings. Oh geeezzzz....another $100 bucks down the drain..

Basically man, if a $100 bucks is too much for you to consider a minor repair for a car, then the LS might not be the ride for you. To me, a "C" note is a lucky repair.

I stand corrected then, I wasn't aware of those issues.

As for a C note being an expensive repair...I pay more than that to have the oil in mine changed.

I'll be up there in a couple of weeks, I can swing by your office and change your oil for ya' for $99.99. Of course you might get some comments on what a dude in a suit is doing under your car, and what's that black crap flowing down the entry drive? Hahaha!!! :cheers:

I looked at my car wrong the other day, and wouldn't you know it, a $100 charge hit my credit card for "visual abuse of an elder". Damn car... :lol:

Hi,

If you had 20,000 to spend on th car and you could:

A) Get a new Camery or other new car.

B) Get an lexus ES 330 2004 with about 40K miles

C) Get an Lexus LS430 with about 80,000

D) other...

What would you get??

Some more details.... you want to finance the car and keep for about 8 years. You do 15K a year...

If buying used, my vote is for B - the 2004 ES 330....or get behind the wheel of a 2005 Subaru Forester XT Turbo if you really want to have some fun. :whistles:

:cheers:

• 3 months later...

I believe all are good choices but with regars to the older lux my experence I purchased a 1993 gs300 with 80,000 on it and it just turned 186000. in that time a control arm,rear window motor and outside driver sidewindow frame have gone south and the headlights need polishing on a regular basis to be clear so its been amazingly trouble free. and in the 6 years I've owned it reliable it has never once failed to start.

Now I happen to love the style it is timeless in my view but at almost 15 years old it could use a lot of work to make it look and run newer again ie new paint , new leather seats for starters, the suspension could be replaced etc. you get my drift, now I was lucky and got the car for $10,000 and I could get maybe get 4 or 5 thousand for it.

So you get a lux like sportyish ride on the cheap. so I would opt for the LS with 80,000.

I also got a 1998 sc300 with 48,000 for $13,000 (it was in a accident ( sheet metal repair and repainted1/4 panel ) but otherwise machanically in good shape. least I forget get lexus dealer to go over car your planning to purchase to have them check it out ($100) also had my mechanic go over it. It just turned 87,000 mi and zero mechanical issues though I think O2 sensor is failing.

My point of view go lux and you will drive in confort and it will last, get a style that you like that is contemporary and it won't show its age over time. (those not in the know think they are both new cars lol) except for wear and tear and have it checked out before you purchase.