02-06 Transmission hesitation problems

Well, from this last post from a Canadian member, I guess this problem also holds true for Canadian ES's and RX's also, even though I thought that Canadian cars did NOT have ULEV requirements. :rolleyes:

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2004 rx330, same problem hesitation, and lurching. I complained 3 times b4 5000 miles. They always said it's trying to learn how I drive. I said I don't want it learning, I want it to just go smoothly, like all the others. I finally took it in for 5000 mile oil change, and again said "fix it". It's going to get me killed.

Well, this time they did. So far, pretty good. Write to Lexus. Keep complaining. It's really bad. When I got a 2003 rx300 loaner, NO PROBLEM with that one, I told em to swap out the tranny on mine with that older one!

They again said there was not a problem with it. However, I got from a good source there is an update for the computer, they can put in it. Keep complaining.

Tell them to update it. They are trained to deny there is a problem! For what it's worth, I got a survey from Lexus and put this problem on there. They even had a place for it. Also, I am a member of Consumer Union, and slammed Lexus in there. Wait for the new issue on the car, and see how many others did.

That's rather interesting. Out of hundreds of people complaining, you're the first person to ever say that they had a fix. Congratulations. Although if they really have a fix, I can't understand why they wouldn't fix it for people.

Is it really fixed? Can you determine exactly what they did? Also, are you in Canada or the US? The Canadian version doesn't have a problem.

By any chance, did you save a copy of the survey they sent you that had a space for it? If so, I'd really appreciate receiving a copy since I'm going to arbitration soon. If I had that, it would be extremely difficult for them to say that they don't know anything about the problem. (Actually, they'll probably say that anyway, but this would show them to be lying). If you have it can you contact me at <joe@ragosta.com> so I can arrange to get a copy?

Thanks.

even when driving in 4 and you stomp it, the hesitation is still there.

driving in 4 only eliminates the joggle that is felt when the tranny hunts for 5th but the car actually is not going fast enough to maintain a smooth ride in 5th.

steviej

Even in on our cars. the 92-96

If your extreme city driving, IE.. campus

Overdrive OFf is the best way. Most people's tranny problems arise first with the Overdrive problem.

As long as you arent streching the engine up above 3000 rpms constantly, it doesnt make a difference.

IT WILL USE GAS

Actually, it WILL have an impact on engine life.

Simplistically, if the engine is doing 20% more RPMs, it's going to last roughly 20% fewer hours.

Now, you may believe that the engine will never wear out, but that's wishful thinking. All engines wear out eventually. Running at higher rpms will make it wear out sooner.

i always stick to the 2k rule. Gradual and smooth everytime.

Sometimes though, when your driving in areas where you keep goin between 3 and 4 gears constantly, over drive off is useful cause it also keeps the tranny from excessive wear

I almost never use the OD off, but there are times is conjested traffic where its a good idea.

- neil

i havent really experienced much hesitation as discussed more than my concern is that going from my 2000 es300, the es330 doesnt accelerate as 'freely' as my 300 did under normal acceleration. like the power is being electronically throttled down. maybe the engine still needs more time to break in?

i haven't really pushed it only cause it's not a car i have any desire to really push (for now)... i save that for another car.

to add to this... i got a loaner 04 rx330 when my car was in for it's 1000 mile service and that suv accelerated off a stop much more freely than a 330 sedan. that just seems wrong.

the rx330 is more powerful than our the older Gen es300's

it has faster accel.   Your not imagining anything.

well, i have the 04 es330 so displacement is the same.

i do understand there is more torque in the rx330 so there is probably a different cam in there but the power difference isnt that much. it was just my thought that the tranny feels much more restrictive on the es330 than the rx330.

interesting thing... if you look at the lexus site, the es330's 0-60 times are the same as the gs300.

My 2004 ES 330 also has hesitation problems, mainly on hitting the accelerator from an almost full stop, on ramp, yeild pause. When I first called Lexus at 2 weeks of ownership, they said dont bring it in they were awaiting a fix. At 1000 mile check up they said it tested normally. I have been in contact with Lexus " customer service" many times to no help. When I took the service rep out with me at 5000 mi he said "he felt the problem but it was within specs". How's that for a BS excuse. I read the post about consumers reports, a member also I will write them. We will screw ourselves with resale value if we break the quality myth but that is our only recourse. Has anyone contacted the feds NSTB or other with any results.

Now, you may believe that the engine will never wear out, but that's wishful thinking. All engines wear out eventually. Running at higher rpms will make it wear out sooner.

That may be true in regard to slow turning American push rod car engines, but history teaches us it's not true in regards to Toyota engines and most other Asian car engines. They are designed to be "comfortable" at relatively high rpm (by American car standards).

Example: Since 1975 Toyota overhead cam engines have been designed to last 600,000 miles even if they are spinning wildly at 3500 RPM 24 hours a day for months and months on end. Consider that in the late 1970's, for example, Toyota pickups came standard with a 4.11 axle ratio and Celicas and Coronas with a 3.73 axle ratio. And no overdrive. So their engines were spinning at 3500-4000 rpm at highway speeds of 65-70 MPH. But they still lasted 600,000 miles as owners like Leo Warfield can tell you: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/leowarfield.JPG Indeed, Toyotas legendary reputation for durability was established in the 1970's before overdrive automatics were even available and before overdrive manual transmissions were common.

3000-4000 rpm is just a moderate RPM for a Toyota engine and you can see this from Toyotas engine break in instructions which are: "maintain engine speed between 2000-4000 RPM"

There is no question an ES300 or ES330 V6 engine would still be running fine after 500,000 miles of never using the overdrive 5th gear at all - even if the driver drove at a steady highway speed of 70 MPH.

What kills Toyota engines is traurma caused by neglected cooling systems and neglected tune ups. Owners carve tens of thousands of miles off the life of their engines when they let them run hotter than normal, let them misfire, let them run low on oil, or let them run on poorly filtered air and oil.

Also, I am a member of Consumer Union, and slammed Lexus in there. Wait for the new issue on the car, and see how many others did.

Consumer Reports has tested the 5-speed automatic ES330 and RX330 and scored their transmissions as Very Good, but not Excellent due to the slight lag/hesitation. So CR is aware of the lag, but did not find it seriously bothersome and did not consider it a safety issue.

Agreed. If you were keeping the vehicle for 25 years maybe you'd see a wear out ofm components slightly early from running at higher RPMs, but for the time most people own their cars? Its not going to make any difference.

As for the RX vs ES thats because of the different torque curves of the two cars. The RX is built to handle more load thus more power is availiable at lower speeds.

How much you wanna bet that the transmission is fixed on this new freshened 05' model??

I doubt it. The 05 sounds like the same engine/tranny as the 04.

They told me that the 04 would have a fixed transmission, but it didn't. Until I actually see it for myself, I won't believe anything Lexus tells me.

Update:

I got a letter from Lexus today. They want to me to drop my car off for a day so they can drive it. They want 'to determine if a non-conformity exists'.

Rather amazing. They're still pretending that this isn't a real problem. With all the complaints that they've received and all the letters and so on, why do they even go through the charade? Virtually every Lexus shop manager admits that it happens. Why even pretend? They're either going to admit that there's a problem (unlikely) or deny that a problem exists (likely). Why bother with the pretense of a test drive?

On the bright side, the letter assures me that 'Lexus values [you] as a customer and appreciates your patronage'.

If they really do, all they have to do is fix the problem. I'm not interested in hearing for the 30th time how important I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

My family has recently bought a 05 model (yesterday) and I must say I like it. As for the hesitation problem, I think they fixed it on the 05 model.

Before we bought the 05, the only available model for a test drive was a 04 with the Navi package. I notice there was a lot of hesitation when I floored it. It was like 1...2... then I feel the surge of power. :angry: I thought that was normal for that car since the C240 has kind of a similar feeling.

I drove our 05 for at least 100km (both city and highway) and I didn't notice any hesitation at all. When I floor it, the car accelerates. B) There is a slight lag but it is barely noticible.

I've started to read this forum 3 days ago and I notice that some people said that the hesitation is still there for the 05 model. I can tell you that my 05 doesn't have this problem compared to the 04 that I test drove. My question is: Why is my car okay and not for others?

btw, I bought my car at Richmond Lexus, Canada. They gave us the crapiest floor mat I have ever had for free (Dealership mats). The rear mats are the size of a men size 8 foot!

Hi all

My family has recently bought a 05 model (yesterday) and I must say I like it. As for the hesitation problem, I think they fixed it on the 05 model.

Before we bought the 05, the only available model for a test drive was a 04 with the Navi package. I notice there was a lot of hesitation when I floored it. It was like 1...2... then I feel the surge of power. :angry: I thought that was normal for that car since the C240 has kind of a similar feeling.

I drove our 05 for at least 100km (both city and highway) and I didn't notice any hesitation at all. When I floor it, the car accelerates. B) There is a slight lag but it is barely noticible.

I've started to read this forum 3 days ago and I notice that some people said that the hesitation is still there for the 05 model. I can tell you that my 05 doesn't have this problem compared to the 04 that I test drove. My question is: Why is my car okay and not for others?

btw, I bought my car at Richmond Lexus, Canada. They gave us the crapiest floor mat I have ever had for free (Dealership mats). The rear mats are the size of a men size 8 foot!

The problem seems to have been fixed in Canadian models.

US models are ULEV (ultra low emission vehicles) and the transmission / engine logic is somewhat different than the Canadian ones. It was reported here earlier that even earlier models can be fixed - IF you're in Canada.