02-06 Transmission hesitation problems

you read the large post on this problem,you shoul hav posted in that one for answers as it is relavent rather than making multiple threads

if you find another car with no such issue as them to take it back and give you another or the loaner ,it shouldn't be a problem

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota / Lexus is using new transmission technology and it appears you will just have to get used to the feel of this new technology just like in the past when you had to get used to the new feel of an automatic overdrive transmission and the feel of a lock up torque converter transmission. A Toyota Master Tech explains it this way:

"These new 5-speed transmissions and in fact, all the Toyota transmissions are go ing this route, you have a new internal setup. In the days of old, your clutches and brakes inside your auto tranny was either applied or released. These new transmissions have a "partially applied" and also there is a "partially released", in fact, its the reason for the type T-IV fluid and I've seen a complete new re-education of the public on these new 5-speeds. It is different that all trannys in the past. I ran into the same re-education thing when lock up converters showed up, especially if the customer had a tachometer, they thought the transmission was slipping or a had a delayed shift. Same deal when fuel injection was introduced - the injectors would click away and the customers complained their engine valves were misadjusted ! But we have had zilch as far as tranny troubles on these 5-speeds. We have done a few software updates to improve "feel" but not because of a transmission wear or malfunction issue."

A Toyota Master Tech explains it this way:

"These new 5-speed transmissions and in fact, all the Toyota transmissions are go ing this route, you have a new internal setup. In the days of old, your clutches and brakes inside your auto tranny was either applied or released. These new transmissions have a "partially applied" and also there is a "partially released", in fact, its the reason for the type T-IV fluid and I've seen a complete new re-education of the public on these new 5-speeds. It is different that all trannys in the past. I ran into the same re-education thing when lock up converters showed up, especially if the customer had a tachometer, they thought the transmission was slipping or a had a delayed shift. Same deal when fuel injection was introduced - the injectors would click away and the customers complained their engine valves were misadjusted ! But we have had zilch as far as tranny troubles on these 5-speeds. We have done a few software updates to improve "feel" but not because of a transmission wear or malfunction issue."

Personally, I feel that this explanation is a lot of bull! I'm not going to go into the details, as I, and many more drivers have the same complaint for over 3 years. :chairshot:

the software "burn" will not solve or resolve the hesitation problem. This burn will only change the shift points so that a certain joggle is not felt at around 40 mph.

The hesitation when "stomping" on it is inherent in the electornic throttle/auto 5 speed design. Toyota will continue to cover their eyes and say "it is performing as it was designed to". Unfortunately, the engineers are not the people who have to deal with the public.

steviej

Sorry, but that explanation from Lexus doesn't pass the 'crap detector' test. If that was to be their new approach to trasnsmissions, why isn't it consistent across all cars being produced since 02? it stikes me that lexus is lucky thus far that this hasn't gotten out to the public and to car rating magazines as yet. i was hoping that my next car would be the ES330 or RX330, but I'm having serious reservations.

I have the impresion, perhaps wrong, that this hasn't been reported for Canadian cars. If so, that doesn't make sense because all of the ES's are made in Japan, and the new RX's are now coming from Cambridge, Ontario. Any Canadians have anything to add?

alot of the programming has to do with keeping the cars ULEV and ULEV-II compliant. This is not the case with the Canadian versions (no ULEV compliancy needed.).

Way back in the beginning, an option that came up on the Edmonds Town Meeting board and supposedly was successful was a Canadian ECU transplant. My Lexus dealer could get this ECU but it would cost me $1750 USD. Lexus by no means was going to pay for it. Plus if it were transplanted, they would not stand behind the car any longer with warranty and emissions in the US sector.

I opted not to spend the 1750 ducats 18 months ago.

steviej

Monarch

Thanks for response. is there that much difference between the Cdn and US emission and corporate average fuel economy regulations? And why would this influence tranny performance to such an extent?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just signed on today. I too, have been having hesitation problems with my Lexus ES 330 and have taken it back for the third time last week. Has anyone had any luck with the Lemon Laws? I'm assuming Lexus is stating that the car is working as designed. My dealer's agreed with me and told me that they even received a memo from Lexus stating that they are aware of the "problem" We called Lexus after the second time and they told us to send it in to the dealer for a third time. We just got it back, and it still hesitates. I'm pregnant with twins and I am scared to death to drive this car! I don't care to be the example of why they need to fix this.

I looked for a class action suit on the internet today, but the one I found stated that they were not taking on any new plaintiffs. I was just wondering of anyone has won a Lemon Law arbitration. It would be much easier with a precedent.

Thanks for listening,

Terripro

MY LAST POST WAS DELETED. I TO AM HAVING HESITATION AND SHIFTING ISSUES. BOUGHT A ES330 2 MONTHS AGO AND HAD IT TAKEN TO THE LEXUS DEALER FOUR TIMES NOW. THE KEY WORD THEY USE IS "THE CAR IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED". THIS COMMENT CAN BE READ THROUGHOUT POSTS OVER THE NET AS IT RELATES TO HESITATION AND SHIFTING. WE LOVE OUR 330 AND WILL STRUGGLE TO KEEP IT AS WE DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BUY ANOTHER CAR OR TO UPGRADE. TO THE POINT, ARE CAR IS BEING DRIVEN BY A BAY AREA (NO NAMES AS THIS IS WHY MY LAST POST WAS DELETED) LEXUS DEALER IS TAKING IT HOME IN AN ATTEMPT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME THING I DO. CALLED HIM YESTERDAY TO LEARN THE CAR WAS "OPERATING AS DESIGNED" I THEN COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EARS. THE SAME WORDS FROM ALL THE POSTS I HAVE READ. I COULDNT HOLD BACK AND TOLD HIM THAT THESE WERE THE WORDS USED BY ALL LEXUS DEALERS. NOTHING WAS SAID OTHER THAN HE WOULD KEEP MY CAR FOR A WEEK MORE. NOTE; I HAVE IN RETURN BEEN USING A ES330 LOANER, SAME COLOR SAME MILES ON THE ODOM 1500. NO SHIFTING PROBLEMS YET AND I HAVE PUT (WITH THEIR OK 300 MILES ON THIS LOANER. ME AND THE WIFE WOULD THINK WE ARE CRAZY IF NOT FOR THE OTHER POSTS ON THIS BOARD AND OTHERS.

THANKS, WHAT DO WE DO............... :cries:

I personally haven't heard any complaints from 02 + Canadian owners about any transmission woe's because of the reasons given for the Canadian regulations. jw, you haven't had any transmission issues with your 2000 have you? My 01 is fantastic & I trust with the proper maintenance it will stay that way. B)

Lexusfreak,

No problems with my 2000, except when I got it at 23,000 kilometres, and it the intelligent tranny had accomodated to the "little old man" who was original owner. Got good advice from LOC to disconnect battery so that it would go back to factory setting. Wonderful since then.

however, the problems started with the change in model in '02. So I'm curious why Cdn models don't seem to have the problem, and was hoping that Monarch, SK, AMF or StevieJ might have an opinion on this. Thanks

I've submitted the paperwork for arbitration. If anyone has any paperwork (such as letters from your dealer or from Lexus admitting that they know that there's a problem), I would appreciate copies. I would be happy to provide copies of what I have in return.

In addition, I'm sure that there will be a test drive involved. On my car, the problem ranges from very severe to very mild - depending on the day. I would appreciate comments on ways that I am sure to be able to demonstrate the problem at its worst.

I can be reached at <joe@ragosta.com>.

Thanks.

iragosta, I got you email on your request for the dealer bulletin and have to get it scanned which will take lil work (for you) and I would like the info you have as i pick up my es330 Friday. Mr. big at Lexus isn’t returning my calls, three in three days. Think we need to be prepared for "the car drives as designed" statement.

First Lexus...Last Lexus.....First time on my 2002 shifts poorly and hesitates...and if it is due to shift logic..ok agree...has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to kill the computer memory and then drive differntly..to see if any thing changes...Im an easy driver ...noticed earlier message that ti does not show up with :whistles: agressive driving.

The salesman that sold me my car told me the same thing.......sorta. He said to use the "4" position around town, and the "D" position on the highway.

Even in on our cars. the 92-96

If your extreme city driving, IE.. campus

Overdrive OFf is the best way. Most people's tranny problems arise first with the Overdrive problem.

As long as you arent streching the engine up above 3000 rpms constantly, it doesnt make a difference.

IT WILL USE GAS

I drive in 4th gear while in the city or areas where the speed doesn't exceed 45mph. After 45mph, D is fair game. I've been driving this way for a while and have not experienced the shifting issues.

I have a 2004 rx330, same problem hesitation, and lurching. I complained 3 times b4 5000 miles. They always said it's trying to learn how I drive. I said I don't want it learning, I want it to just go smoothly, like all the others. I finally took it in for 5000 mile oil change, and again said "fix it". It's going to get me killed.

Well, this time they did. So far, pretty good. Write to Lexus. Keep complaining. It's really bad. When I got a 2003 rx300 loaner, NO PROBLEM with that one, I told em to swap out the tranny on mine with that older one!

They again said there was not a problem with it. However, I got from a good source there is an update for the computer, they can put in it. Keep complaining.

Tell them to update it. They are trained to deny there is a problem! For what it's worth, I got a survey from Lexus and put this problem on there. They even had a place for it. Also, I am a member of Consumer Union, and slammed Lexus in there. Wait for the new issue on the car, and see how many others did.

If I did this out of place, or not in the right place , I am sorry, my first time on here and trying to post a reply to help. Not sure how it works. I have never done this b4.