K&n Air Filters

nc211

I figure after 2+ years of cleaning my oem air filter every 3k miles, it's probably time to just replace it in general. I noticed K&N sells an airfilter for the car that is washable for life, and just sets in place where the oem one sits, no modifications required. Has anyone ever used one of these in their LS? Any horror stories, or effects it would have on the cars super quiet and smooth engine? Not trying to hotrod or anything, just thought the "washable" aspect was pretty cool, and never have to replace it again.

I figure after 2+ years of cleaning my oem air filter every 3k miles, it's probably time to just replace it in general. I noticed K&N sells an airfilter for the car that is washable for life, and just sets in place where the oem one sits, no modifications required. Has anyone ever used one of these in their LS? Any horror stories, or effects it would have on the cars super quiet and smooth engine? Not trying to hotrod or anything, just thought the "washable" aspect was pretty cool, and never have to replace it again.

Nc211, SK has one on his LS, I am sure he'll give you the full report. I have one on my GS and I think it is worth the $ and it is very easy to maintain. :cheers:

Nc211, SK has one on his LS, I am sure he'll give you the full report. I have one on my GS and I think it is worth the $ and it is very easy to maintain. :cheers:

Thanks DC, I appreciate the feedback, and I'll contact SK shortly. I've heard that they make the engine louder because the engine breathes better....is this true? Doesn't seem like it would be, unless you messed wih the exhaust system too.

I had a K&N on my Firebird and a TRD on the IS300. Pretty much the same thing. They're not really any louder, since you're using the stock airbox and intake. The loud ones are the cone shaped open filters. I guess I ran a total of 12 years on those filters and never a problem. Just make sure you don't over-oil it and everything is fine.

Somebody will probably come along and knock them and say the get oil on the MAF but if you do it right that doesn't happen. I guess the filter "discussion" is third to oil brands, and gas octane, when it comes to people getting kinda stirred up.

I got a Blitz filter for the IS350 but it's not cleanable. It just happens that was the first "performance" filter available. :D

The two Bush Bama Boys!! Hahaaa... I'm from B'ham originally. I"m not sure about the K&N filter yet, but it does sound interesting. If it helps the engine breathe better, well you can't go wrong with that. I'm sure you're right though, someone will say they're bad. I didn't know you had to oil them, that's interesting. Never thought of oiling an air filter before. Well they must be popular, because everywhere I go around here, they're always sold out of the one for the LS. Probably just order one off their website.

I have K&N air filters on all my vehicles. I would not have any other kind on my car. My Frontier is a little louder after I put the K&N filter and had the original muffler replaced with a Flowmaster Series 40. Sounds slightly louder and has a gutload more power from the 2.4L 4 banger.

Nc211, SK has one on his LS, I am sure he'll give you the full report. I have one on my GS and I think it is worth the $ and it is very easy to maintain.:cheers:

Thanks DC, I appreciate the feedback, and I'll contact SK shortly. I've heard that they make the engine louder because the engine breathes better....is this true? Doesn't seem like it would be, unless you messed wih the exhaust system too.

No extra noise (sound) on my front. I have been back and forth with my intake ( Mods and the like ) I have gone back to the stock intake with the K&N and am very satisfied. Like it has been said, Just do not over oil the filter and make sure you seal the filter with the sealant for the filter to the filter frame. ;)

When you buy the K&N filter new, you do not have to oil it. I clean mine about every 20,000 miles and I use the K&N cleaning kit. They are only 10 bucks so why not.

It is very important not to over oil them, a light coat does it all.

Have yall noticed any improvements in your fuel mileage after switching to the K&N filter?

Not that I document my milage, But It seems like there is a 1-2 mpg increase. I have had it on for over a year now. :cheers:

Yes, gas milage definitely improves if you continue to drive the same as you always have. My problem is that since it feels like I have more power, I am more inclined to get on it which makes milage worse.

Last tank on a combined Interstate and highway drive yielded 26.4mpg

Hello:

Use the K&N in total confidence, I had it in my LS for over a year now, no problems, The filters come ready for use with no oiling necessary for a long time. The cars, because I have it in my other SUV, feels stronger and quicker and never feels like its having to make an effort to get air. The Kit costs about 10.00 and will last you for years. Shop around in the net because the difference can be 10 to 20 more depending where you do buy it. Pepboys carry them so does Autozone, Western Auto.

C>PR

I have the filter on my 98 LS and it works great. I have no problems and the gains are unknown if any.

I just cleaned it for the first time 3 weeks ago before i left for lex fest. It looked clean but did have a good amount of dirt trapped in it.

Get the K&N filter cleaning kit and spray just enough and then spin it in the air to remove excess before allowing to drip for a few hours before installing it again. It is ready to go being profiled when you buy it new.

• 8 months later...
I have the K&N 33-2220 in my 06 SC430. Absolutly no problem, slightly better milage and it feels like it has just a bit more power.

Anybody know of the cheapest place to buy a K&N? for a 95 gs300?? (besides ebay) , I think autozone had them for like 65, which is a bit steep for my budget.

-Thanks-

• 3 months later...
I have the K&N 33-2220 in my 06 SC430. Absolutly no problem, slightly better milage and it feels like it has just a bit more power.

If these style air cleaners are so much better (more power, longer lasting, better filtration) why dont car makers just make them stock? I know their theory is not patented, open cotton element. I know 1-2 MPG gain across the board would allow the maker to make such things as SRT-10 trucks and 8 MPG super cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have K & N's in both my LS's, and I have noticed I get 21 mpg around town with the air on, 24 without the air on.

I did not notice any more sound when I get on it. It is still as quiet as an LS should be.

Fblonk

I finally bought a K&N last winter, and my fuel mileage did go up. I went from getting low 26 mpg's on the highway to getting just over 27mpg on the hwy now. That's pure hwy (cruise set around 76-77mph) with the a/c on. I don't get carried away when I oil the filter, and my maf sensor is doing just fine. I too haven't noticed any extra engine noise. I'm very pleased with my purchase. :)

I'll post some ISO test results and a graph or two tonight but K&N's air filters are dead-last in terms of their filtering abilities when compared to the usual paper element filters like from AC-Delco (who scores very highly in these tests), especially where fine dust and silica is concerned. They are surprisingly bad at filtering particulates out of the air, whether they are well maintained with K&N's special filter oil or not. For an engine as expensive as a Lexus engine is, I sure as hell will NEVER run a K&N air filter in mine.

If someone wants to point out how the offroad racers run them, well there are two things going on... one, they are generally thrown parts like from K&N in sponsorships (which they have done for me for my Jeep but I won't run them) and two, engines in such races are generally torn down and rebuilt between races, or certainly a lot more often than a car engine is.

When I used to run K&N air filters, it took two prefilters on top of my K&N to keep the grit out of my Jeep's air intake system. I was shocked at the grit inside my air tube after a few days in the desert after installing the K&N which is how it ended up with two prefilters (an Outerwears with a foam Unifilter on top). :rolleyes:

I'll post some ISO test results and a graph or two tonight but K&N's air filters are dead-last in terms of their filtering abilities when compared to the usual paper element filters like from AC-Delco (who scores very highly in these tests), especially where fine dust and silica is concerned. They are surprisingly bad at filtering particulates out of the air, whether they are well maintained with K&N's special filter oil or not. For an engine as expensive as a Lexus engine is, I sure as hell will NEVER run a K&N air filter in mine.

If someone wants to point out how the offroad racers run them, well there are two things going on... one, they are generally thrown parts like from K&N in sponsorships (which they have done for me for my Jeep but I won't run them) and two, engines in such races are generally torn down and rebuilt between races, or certainly a lot more often than a car engine is.

When I used to run K&N air filters, it took two prefilters on top of my K&N to keep the grit out of my Jeep's air intake system. I was shocked at the grit inside my air tube after a few days in the desert after installing the K&N which is how it ended up with two prefilters (an Outerwears with a foam Unifilter on top). :rolleyes:

I have evidence that the K&N filter outflows all paper element filters by a factor of 2X and its filtering ability is unsurpassed when used properly. Gains of 6% can be had on a V8 going from a restrictive paper element to a K&N style filter. (David Vizard, How to build Horsepower, Vol.2, SA Design, 1996) Motorcraft filter elements were the best paper style elements and FRAM were the worst. 15X3 circle element was tested.

I have evidence that the K&N filter outflows all paper element filters by a factor of 2X and its filtering ability is unsurpassed when used properly. gAI

Please post the evidence. :cheers:

I have evidence that the K&N filter outflows all paper element filters by a factor of 2X and its filtering ability is unsurpassed when used properly. gAI

Please post the evidence.:cheers:

Here you go, you can make your own decision. factor of 2 was taken off a pressure drop test comparing elements, not this test.

kn3.bmp

Flow through the K&N has never been argued. Hell it's like a screen door, the problem is that it doesn't filter out the fine harmful dust and silica. The website is temporarily down but when it comes back up I'll post the link... but here's one chart & text from it

KN-Filter-Chart.jpg

(the below text is from the test)

"In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons. "

I have the entire website saved since K&N filters are a common subject in another forum I moderate but the above chart and comments from that ISO test are typical of how the test results turned out.

Again... it's a no-brainer that K&N's have high flow rates but the real issue is that they don't trap and hold much dirt, it passes way more dirt into the engine than any of the other filters tested. Personally I don't race my Lexus (nor do I race my offroad Jeep) so I could care less if it flows more air, I am more interested in keeping harmful dust, dirt, and silica out of my very expensive engines. What I do know is that my personal experience with K&N filters coincides with that of the ISO testing and for a Lexus, I think it'd be short-sighted to want to run a K&N air filter. Our Lexuses were not designed to be high performance cars, at least not in the traditional sense of that phrase, so installing a higher flowing air filter solely to produce better performance just doesn't make sense to me. It certainly won't contribute to better fuel economy, it just doesn't work that way. :)