Lots Of Ls460 Pictures:

I have the say the look is growing on me. I love how everything is where its always been in an LS. I do think the the best looker will the the SWB because in a picture i saw in C&D the LWB is pregnant looking. Not very sleek. The cabin area just looks too long. Same with the doors. It is visually stunning though. I love the picture where its at a stoplight next to a not so small avalon. I looks massive but in a strong impressive way. If i had the cash i'd take a sparsely (sp?) optioned (if that's possible) SWB in white with ML and Nav. Everything else is nonsense IMO. Also i hope they kill the pointy center stack in the next refresh. I dont want a dome semi-circle like an ES350 either. Just I softened rectangle... like the previous gens.

I am so tired of hearing people say the LS is bland. I really don't care if its bland. Graceful and simple = bland to the masses. I love the simple classic lines and graceful curves. I'll let MB keep their wheel bulges and hideous steering wheel. Let BMW keep those flamed eyes and convex curves. Those Germans might look modern and different now but they will age quickly. The last gen S-Class was drop dead gorgous in my opinion. Think of a car like you would a suit. Do you want simple and well tailored OR flashy and modern? I'll take the simple suit thank you. It will look great for years to come. Same with the LS.

Also I am so sick of people saying Lexus's dont have soul. What is soul exactly? What is character? Is breaking down character? Or is that soul? Is having a radical design (even if its grotesque) soul? Whatever. I will take my quiet, beautiful, and reliable machine and be on my way.

If this is vanilla bland... its as close to perfect vanilla as you can get.

Just my rant for the day.

Oh by the way I'm just 18 and I HATE RICERS. Giant wheels, spoilers, ugly body kits, and loud tinny exausts can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Take your blue tinted halogens (who are they kidding with these?)and NOS stickers with you too.

lol i completely agree with you. the soul they are referring to is the driving fun that lexus "seems" to not offer. actually a lot of critics who have driven the LS already say that the driving dynamics are horrible. its not as fun around the bends...but who cares cause we will only use the LS for cruising along the highways...thats what its made for.

i think it looks great, but i think i still need to see it in person. the only thing i dont like about it is the speedo area. its a little too simple. The IS and the ES have really cool speedos now, this is just as bland as the old one. my only complaint.

LA times writer slams new LS or rather lexus in general

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...a-home-highway1 talk about biased. man i really want to email him on the bottom of the page, but i dont want to waste my time on an unprofessional columnist.

good thing this car is insulated well so the loud exhausts of teenagers dont disturb my music.

Oh one or two more things. I hate those exuasts. They are ugly. Its funny you think the Gauges are boring... i love them for the simple fact that they look almost the same as they did back in 1989 when i was 1. When you have a winning formula why change it? Also i think they made a smart move. If they changed it too much they would be "copying the germans" and they would alienate the retirees that can afford them. The electronics look so intuative. I like that.

You know what? I think the LS handles great for what it is. It's not pretending to be anything. And from the Slalom test numbers i have seen from various sources it actually handles very good. I can attest to this even on my 93.

Oh btw i'm not fighting or anything, i'm just saying we have a (albeit a small ) difference of opinions.

yeah i saw this page, check that site every day, lol. Its sad to read the comments though about people bashing lexus. I try as hard as a can to argue but i prefer to save my fingers now

The people who post on that site are mostly kids, 15,16ish and they're all morons. I don't even bother reading it.

i think it looks great, but i think i still need to see it in person. the only thing i dont like about it is the speedo area. its a little too simple. The IS and the ES have really cool speedos now, this is just as bland as the old one.

The IS' gauges are nice, but the gauges on the new ES are cheap looking compared to the Lexus optitron clusters of old. The new LS' gauges are different, its just harder to tell in a photograph. They have a lot of layers to them (3 dimensional) and the screen between the speedo and tach is a full color TFT screen.

Its growing on me, I miss the beltline trim though, and I'm sad they abandoned the LS look in the back.

I'm sad they abandoned the LS look in the back

actually, if you look closely, there are some similarities. But how much can you really change on a back of a large sedan. It still looks like an LS to me, even if i saw it the first time without badges. i think it looks stretched either in width or height (the back) in pictures. I think the real life car will be more porportioned

I'm sad they abandoned the LS look in the back
actually, if you look closely, there are some similarities. But how much can you really change on a back of a large sedan.
I'm not really seeing any similarities other than the Lexus, L, and LS badges on the top of the trunk lid. The tail lights have completely abandoned the style of the 400 and 430 that have subtle row and column dividers in them. The led third brake light is up at the top of the back windshield whereas it used to be at the bottom. We no longer have traditional dual exhausts; they've since adopted some heinous pass it through the bumper rice rocket style that has no place on a luxury car, imo. The overall shape of the rear is different. The trunk lid now dips in to the bumper which is new. This is what I'm talking about: post-1461-1157083007_thumb.jpg . I don't really care for it, but it seems to be the new style. The trunk lid itself is slightly "Bangled" too.

You can change the back of a large sedan a lot--almost everyone but Lexus and Jaguar radically change their car designs with each generation (740 looks nothing like a 745, S500 and S550, A8s, Q45s, etc.). I guess the lack of radical change over the past 17 years is making it so hard to accept the styling cues of the new 460.

If anything the back of it looks like MY ES, not even the new one.

Now, I don't dislike the rear design, it just doesn't look like an LS. The LS' tailights have had a theme ever since it came out 17 years ago, I just don't see why they abandoned that theme now.

Oddly enough, I have to agree with some of the posters on the AutoSpies site, it doesn't look like a $70,000 car to me anymore without the trim and embellishments. The wheels are boring and have no glitz, I guess I just have to see it in person. I really think it could be $45k...

I do still love the interior.

I'll wait to make my judgements on it when I see it in person. I didn't like the "pictures" of the new GS before it came out. Actually, my wife decided to go ahead and buy the '04 because we both weren't fond of the pictures. Now she's kicking herself because that '06 is smokin!!! I got my email from Lexus about the upcoming driving event and the new LS is going to be there!!! Can't wait!!

I saw three 460's and a 600h at the Pebble Beach Concours two weeks ago, and I hardly slowed down to look, despite the fact that I'm a big Lexus fan and very happy with my 99 LS. I took 514 pictures that day, none of the Lexus. There's just nothing that interesting about it. At least with Mercedes new S there's the ridiculous wheel flares to look at and ponder, or the Bangle bustle on the Beemers (Chris Bangle was there again by the way). I'd rather have something attention getting to ponder when I look at a car purely on an aesthetic basis. The Lexus just don't have it. The GS is probably the best of the new lot.

Not slamming here, I'd pick Lexus over again and again unless I was rich enough to have two Mercedes, then I might switch (gotta have one to drive while the other's being fixed :D ). I'd still miss the Lexus ride quality if I did though.

BTW, I did email the author of the LATimes article, mostly flaming him for including Cadillac in his comparison; I called the Cadillac a Chevy Chevette on steroids. Piece of garbage, uglier than a Gremlin. He replied: "Gee Bob, tell us what you really think!"

Bob

If anything the back of it looks like MY ES, not even the new one.

Now, I don't dislike the rear design, it just doesn't look like an LS. The LS' tailights have had a theme ever since it came out 17 years ago, I just don't see why they abandoned that theme now.

Oddly enough, I have to agree with some of the posters on the AutoSpies site, it doesn't look like a $70,000 car to me anymore without the trim and embellishments. The wheels are boring and have no glitz, I guess I just have to see it in person. I really think it could be $45k...

I do still love the interior.

what happened to all the 460 excitement and enthusiasm? its funny i recently read one of your posts about the new LS back when they put official pictures out and you seemed super excited.

not sure if anyone agrees with me but i think the rear taillight cluster looks quite similar to the new camry's rear taillights.

Oh by the way I'm just 18 and I HATE RICERS. Giant wheels, spoilers, ugly body kits, and loud tinny exausts can all rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Take your blue tinted halogens (who are they kidding with these?)and NOS stickers with you too.

Amen to that! IMHO, these cars are way too classy to be messed up with all that....uh....."stuff" (was thinking of a different word but decided not to use it) :censored:

And how did an 18 y.o. develop such common sense and good taste, anyways! :cheers:

I agree with majority, we all have to see it in person. The front looks nice, the back is *BLEEP*. It definitely cant compare to the new S550.

Having seen a lot of new S550s now, I like the front, but I don't like the sides, the rear, or the look of the interior. Everything is beautifully finished and executed, but the dash layout seems out of a minivan to me. Plus the new LS is going to be a lot cheaper than the S550...

what happened to all the 460 excitement and enthusiasm? its funny i recently read one of your posts about the new LS back when they put official pictures out and you seemed super excited.

not sure if anyone agrees with me but i think the rear taillight cluster looks quite similar to the new camry's rear taillights.

I was very excited about it but as the pictures have worn on me thats waned somewhat...

The wheels are poor, but Lexus has never designed great wheels. I think its mostly the lack of exterior trim.

• 4 weeks later...

Also I am so sick of people saying Lexus's dont have soul. What is soul exactly? What is character? Is breaking down character? Or is that soul? Is having a radical design (even if its grotesque) soul? Whatever. I will take my quiet, beautiful, and reliable machine and be on my way.

When you drive a BMW or just have a ride in it, you will understand what soul means. I have had 3 different models of Lexus before -SC400, GS400, Rx330 (still have 2 left) and after I bought a BMW I started to understand what people mean by SOUL. I keep saying now to everyone - after you drive a BMW you can only drive a brand new BMW after that.