Es Heavy Front-end Accident

lexusk8

It happened this morning as I was heading to work. I was in the left-thru lane and I needed to make a left turn, which required me to get on the left-turn only lane. The cars were jammed up on that left-turn only lane, and nobody would let me in. I continued on the original lane, and at the intersection I made a bonehead illegal left turn move. At that moment I thought the coast was clear for me to make the turn, and then all of a sudden I see a grey Mustang speeding and coming at me from the opposite direction. It was too late then, and we collided with considerably massive force.

I am OK, just some minor bruises on my arms and right foot which didn't require medical attention. The Mustang lady driver complained of chest pains, was put on a neck brace, and had to be hauled off on a stretcher into an ambulance. Both our airbags deployed which was a good thing. The damages assessed from my view: The front bumper of the Mustang was torn off. Both our front ends are completely crumpled and mangled up as you can see in the pics. My windshield cracked as well, and my HIDs are gone. I am pretty sure my car and the Mustang would have to be totaled :(

Without doubt I got cited by the officer for making a left turn onto approaching traffic. The fine is only $115.50, believe it or not :blink: 4 points will be added to my record if I choose to pay the full fine. The other alternative (which I plan to take) is enroll and complete traffic school online, which means no points will be accounted for, and the fine will be reduced to $104.70.

All in all, I am grateful to be alive and walking from the accident, and I sincerely hope the Mustang driver will recover fine from it. A car can be replaced anytime (hoping my insurance will total my car), but a human being cannot. Florida is notorious for dangerous drivers and driving habits on the road, but I will do my best to be more careful and do not do bonehead moves.

-Doug

post-561-1155838105_thumb.jpgpost-561-1155838116_thumb.jpgpost-561-1155838126_thumb.jpgpost-561-1155838136_thumb.jpg

post-561-1155838145_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads-up to those who are curious to know,

Although it's been 2 weeks since the accident, I am doing OK and have moved on from it. The ES is officially totaled by my insurance, and I am expecting a payout of $18,678.78 from the loss. It's interesting that I originally paid $18,900 for the car when I bought it 3 years ago. At any rate, the insurance check should arrive next week :)

In the meantime, I have been hunting around for my next car, and after much online shopping and a few test drives, I have finalized on these 2 choices: 2002/03 Lexus GS300, or 2003/04 Infiniti G35 sedan. Both cars are great choices, so it's kinda hard to choose between the two. Not too many differences between them other than the much-criticized interior of the G35, but I don't mind at this point; I'm looking for more value out of the car, with good resale value. We shall see... B)

Although it's been 2 weeks since the accident, I am doing OK and have moved on from it. The ES is officially totaled by my insurance, and I am expecting a payout of $18,678.78 from the loss. It's interesting that I originally paid $18,900 for the car when I bought it 3 years ago. At any rate, the insurance check should arrive next week :)

In the meantime, I have been hunting around for my next car, and after much online shopping and a few test drives, I have finalized on these 2 choices: 2002/03 Lexus GS300, or 2003/04 Infiniti G35 sedan. Both cars are great choices, so it's kinda hard to choose between the two. Not too many differences between them other than the much-criticized interior of the G35, but I don't mind at this point; I'm looking for more value out of the car, with good resale value. We shall see... B)

If you're looking at resale I'd do the GS300.

Wow, $221.22 for 3 years use aint bad!

No kidding!!!

Just a 23 year old talking here... I'd take a G35 over a GS/IS300 every day of the week & not think twice about it. So the sportier nature appeals to me. I'd also take a vq35de over a 2jz-ge every day of the week too!

Take a look at late model 540i's too.

That seems like an awefully high payout since the book values are in the $12-$15k range. Did you have to argue with them to get to $18,700? GS300s look and drive wonderfully, so that would be my first choice, but they are slow! LOL

I have been enjoying reading different topic, this isn't one of them but we are all thankful nothing serious from this out come. I saw the picture, surely it is total and also nice rim! I would save them if not too late? (resale) I should be care too, just had a nearby accident earlier. Take care folks!

I prefer the G coupe then the sedan the biggest problem is the front seat controls which are perched on the edge of the front seat and dig into your thigh real hard especially depending on how you have your body aligned.

I tend to angle my feet to a heel-toe angle by nature which causes the switches to really dig into me. Unless you don't drive far, or want to do the mod removing them from the cushion area i would get the GS. Besides what is better than a 4 door supra. Oh yah a Lexus supra aka SC400

Your lex still looks good even on that wrecker... did you just wash it? lol.

Though I've never driven a GS, i can definitely attest to the G35... it is SOO incredibly fun to drive. I was looking into one as my next car but apparently the earlier year models have major brake issues. Anyways, good luck on your car hunt and I'm glad your okay.

That seems like an awefully high payout since the book values are in the $12-$15k range. Did you have to argue with them to get to $18,700? GS300s look and drive wonderfully, so that would be my first choice, but they are slow! LOL

Yea...that is a REAL high payout...right off the bat...Glad that you are OK and hope the other lady is too!

Take...care!

Glad to hear that you're okay. Wow, that is an incredible pay-out. Who's your carrier? :D

BTW, if you;re thinking about the G35 I wouldn't get the 03/04's> they have some issues. 05-06 would be the best, and the 07's not yet.

Personally, I'd get the GS or another ES. They're a little cheaper to maintain and you're used to the handling. You could also try the SC.

---------------------------------------------

Referral to closed thread

Sugglebunnie:

I see your point, but as far as I'm concerned having an accident is part of a learning record. By having this accident both insurance companies have learned how safe the Lexus ES300 and the Ford Mustang convertable is. Based on this event, the insurance companies are letting the manufacturers know how safe their cars are. In fact I'm pretty sure the next Ford MUstang built will be that much safer becasue of this event. We can't blame one person, otherwise we'd have a new government.

Glad to hear that you're okay. Wow, that is an incredible pay-out. Who's your carrier? :D

BTW, if you;re thinking about the G35 I wouldn't get the 03/04's> they have some issues. 05-06 would be the best, and the 07's not yet.

Personally, I'd get the GS or another ES. They're a little cheaper to maintain and you're used to the handling. You could also try the SC.

My insurance carrier is Safeco. I recently switched with them a couple months before this accident, after staying on AIG for 3-4 years.

I'm pretty close to getting my "new" car soon. I just have to wait for the VIN on the car to be verified, and then I plan to take delivery at the end of today. You'll all see pics so sit tight, and there will be no teasers :)

I'm pretty close to getting my "new" car soon. I just have to wait for the VIN on the car to be verified, and then I plan to take delivery at the end of today. You'll all see pics so sit tight, and there will be no teasers :)

Patiently waiting Doug. :)

:cheers:

My insurance carrier is Safeco. I recently switched with them a couple months before this accident, after staying on AIG for 3-4 years.

Come on you little tease; can't you see Lexusfreak is loosing his mind. How about sharing the VIN with us?

Sorry guys, delivery of the car is not happening tonight :( There was a VIN mismatch on the car's title which had to be fixed promptly. The seller is expecting the corrected title to be delivered overnight, so if everything goes according as planned for tomorrow I'll be bringing the car back home tomorrow night.

Again, sorry to those who got their hopes up ;)