California Water Blade

One of the biggest pains in cleaning a car is drying it after a wash. Most people say ahhhh.. and just let it dry. That's fine for some people as their cars look like crap anyway. For those of us who must have a absolutely clean car, it must be dried. It use to take me two towels and wringing and stuff. A friend of mine turned me on to California Water Blades about two years ago. Man, it's like a squeege and it takes 95% of the water off so you can just dry it with a towel. With the wax I use (Collinite #845 Insulator Wax http://www.collinite.com/), it looks like I just waxed it. I just bought a California Duster as well. You dudes in Cal know your stuff because I conside them a must have.

Anyone else use a CWB?

• 5 months later...
They sell them at most auto parts stores.  The cheapest place to get them is Costco (Price Club).  They have a package with two sizes for under $20.

Hello, again,

After reading this great forum, I went out and bought a California Water Blade. It really does work well. To make a long story short, I had a brain !Removed! and decided to use it on my car after just power washing it with high pressure water. I didn't want any water stains so I just used it VERY light on the body of the car. Well, after I used it on my windshield, I noticed something kind of sticky on both the windshield and the Blade. Luckily, I did the windshield last so I don't think I hurt the body of the car at all.

I tried to take the gunk off the Blade by running it under water and washing it with my fingers. The gunk never quite got off the blade (I didn't use any detergent because I didn't know if any kind of detergent would damage the silicon on the Blade). What ever was left on my windshield didn't come off too easily either. I had to scrub with a brush and power wash my windshield. My question is... should I chuck the Blade and get a new one or can I use some kind of detergent like Dawn to try to get the gunk off and will detergent harm the silicon on the Blade?

Thanks and please excuse the brain !Removed! of using the Blade without washing the car with soap. I know I made a boo boo. ;) I'll never do that again; I promise! :)

VB,

Yes, I too use the CWB and love it. Was made aware of it thru this forum (probably from you or SW).

Can easily dry my car with just a touch up of ONE micro fiber towel after

the BLADE :D

A good product indeed.

I've never had a nicer looking car thanks to this forum. Always a nut for technical specifications and maintenance; I have become obsessed in all detailing too :D

I made a dreaded trip to walmart the other day, and I saw and bought something called the Califoria Dry Blade-it's a big squeege just like the CWB. I believe it is the same thing. It has the same patten numbers as the CWB which was double the price. I love how when you use it properly it takes about 98% of the water off. So, anyone know about this "Dry Blade?" The main reason why I got it was because it was only $10 which is 50% off of the CWB :P .

:cheers:

An old post comes alive! Ah the CWB is just great. I start on the roof and work my way down. I have no idea what a Wal-Mart dry blade is but I suspect it's a knockoff. Probably just as good as it is just a squeege. I think it's the patented "T" hooks on the top that make it work so well.

I enjoyed the comment about having a great looking car now. Isn't it awesome to have your car looking better than everyone elses. For the life of me, I can't imagine how people can stand to drive around in their filthy, nasty, dirty cars. Volvo owners are the worst. I think there must be some kind of rule that Volvos are never to be washed! Any vehicle I own has to be clean. When my daughter has a new boyfriend, I always check out his rig. I don't want her going out with someone who doesn't take care of his car. Her current interest goes to Virginia Tech with her and has a spotless Sentra SER Spec-V (black). He is on the "A" list with me.

Sorry to ramble on so long but it is to cold to do anything outside. I was going to wash my truck today but my hose was frozen solid. 17F outside right now in VB.

I love this forum by the way.

The dry blade I got at WalMart is not made by WalMart. It has the Califoria Water Blade co. on it with the "Dry Blade"...model name if you will. It has the "T" shaped squeege also; I guess that's why it has the same patent numbers as the origional CWB. I'm guessing its a value model or something <_<

:cheers:

There are a number of soft rubber drying squeegees available, the CWB is the most well known. Here are some tips I've discovered over the years:

1. Never use unless your car is spotless (obvious) and thoroughly rinsed.

2. Wipe the blade with your hand or a towel after every pass (to remove any potential grit)

3. Never run it over a dry surface (this also means don't pass it over the same spot twice!)

4. Run the blade on one direction only, not back and forth.

For the most part, I use my squeegee on the top, glass and hood. I then follow with a single waffle weave microfiber drying towel. With the combination of the two, I can dry even the largest car in about five minutes, and the towel will still be dry enough to wipe down the interior.

db

David,

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you. I especially like the part about having a passion for keeping cars perfect as I share the same. Great suggestion regarding wiping the blade after each pass, I never thought of that. I already found out about the not hitting the same spot twice as it makes a terrible noise.

Denny

I am aware of a few cases of a water blade causing damage. In each case the person was misusing the device. Running the blade over a dry surface or using it on a car that was less than perfectly clean. All users should know there is some risk, but the risk is minimal if you follow the simple usage guidelines.

db