Info About 98

Lash

HI all. I'm looking at a 98 LS400 with 85,000 miles. I'm new to Lexus and wanted to know if there are issues particular to this model year. The car looks showroom and drives perfectly. I should be able to get it under $13,000. I'm just curious about trouble spots for this year. All input will be appreciated. Thanks.

The main problems you'll face are with rubber items (bushings that can't be replaced w/o buying the entire componet, oil seals, etc.). Your starter might break too, but other than that, it should be totally dependable for 250,000+ miles.

Buy that car!

I drive a 99 LS - I have the same engine as you would with the 98. It's a remarkable car for the money.

A Benz without out some of the modern bugs.

I replaced a starter in mine - cost me 1K - if you do this, buy a brand new starter - no rebuilds... No chances here. They have to remove the top of the engine to get at it - mostly labor cost.

I've yet to do the 90K service - my local dealer has told me to wait until 100-110. I spoke with a mechanic there and he mentioned that he's pulled off many belts that had gone the full 90K+ and more and they look like they've had almost no wear. The belts are built with teflon.... Anyway, I may even wait until 120K for the TB, water pump, seals, pullies - service - most of the time I drive like a granny. Occasionally, I like to let it eat though. If you're an aggressive driver, I'd go on a replace the belt and all the other recommended stuff with that service (if you buy the car).

A few things I don't like:

Generic - tiny cupholders - HVAC system - complex and not for dummies (Navigation model).

Navigation is old school and is obsolete for more upgrades. On a car with this tag, I don't get this.

Timing belt busts and your out an engine - another one I really don't get.

Seats aren't wide enough - I like the wrap around feel of Volvo seats and they are bigger.

The rest of the car is fabulous and it's very powerful for a big car. Great ride, better handling than one would expect, great milage 19 City - 29 Hwy, very roomy, big trunk, not everyone has one either - oh and ladies love them. I'll probably give mine to my parents and get a newer one sooner or later - I'll never sell it off - it's too good of a car. I have no problem spending the bucks on this car - it's really higher end than it even looks.

If you are not familiar with the options on a 98 LS, you might want to know that about $9,000 (retail prices) of options were available. Unlike the 99-00 LS400 which look identical, options on the 98 LS were more individualized and there were fewer option packages.

If you want HID lights, heated seats, Nakamichi audio system, chrome wheels, Navigation or air suspension, then be sure that the car you are buying has the options you want. The wood gear shift knob is an option on the 98 LS but standard on the 99-00. All the 98-00 LS400s without HID headlights that I have either seen or heard about were 98 LS400's.

Lexus recently came out with an update for the 98-00 Nav system. I was very surprised. Many including me assumed that the 2003 update was the last one. Sewell Lexus has the 2005 update for $300: http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=93

Since you live in Pittsburgh you might also want to factor in the purchase of a second set of wheels and snow tires.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is exactly rhe kind of info I was looking for.

This car does not have tha Nav...I don't think it has the premium sound either...although it still sounds great. It does have HID lights and heated seats. As for winter driving, this car is SO showroom that I would likely buy a beater for the winter.

Thanks again....and keep it coming guys!

If you are not familiar with the options on a 98 LS, you might want to know that about $9,000 (retail prices) of options were available. Unlike the 99-00 LS400 which look identical, options on the 98 LS were more individualized and there were fewer option packages.

If you want HID lights, heated seats, Nakamichi audio system, chrome wheels, Navigation or air suspension, then be sure that the car you are buying has the options you want. The wood gear shift knob is an option on the 98 LS but standard on the 99-00. All the 98-00 LS400s without HID headlights that I have either seen or heard about were 98 LS400's.

Lexus recently came out with an update for the 98-00 Nav system. I was very surprised. Many including me assumed that the 2003 update was the last one. Sewell Lexus has the 2005 update for $300: http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=93

Since you live in Pittsburgh you might also want to factor in the purchase of a second set of wheels and snow tires.

Good luck.

I have a 95' w/ 114k+ on the clock. I have spent some time and money bringing her back to new riding status "previous owner was a corporation....many different drivers". Every penny I've spent, every minute I've invested in learning the car, has ALL been worth it! You're looking at a 8 year old car. Take it from a guy with an 11 year old car that doesn't have the updated toys the 98-00 models have...buy the car and pamper yourself! Especially knowing you paid less than 99% of all new and slightly used cars on the market today...and...yours is nicer! You'll love the car...Best car I've ever owned and refuse to get rid of it "because I can't find a better car out there, except maybe the LS430". I've looked at Infiniti, MB's, Acura's, etc... And some have nicer features, some have a sportier feel, but overall experience puts the LS400 on top. Everytime I drive another car "even other Lexus models", I am always smiling when I get back into mine. Just something about these cars....

Caution: 99% chance that once you own one of these cars, you'll be RUINED when it comes to all others. They wear onto you like your favorite baseball glove. This is truely the first car I have ever owned where the driving characteristics, comfort and overall INTERIOR experience outweights all other benefits. Just truely an amazing car. There is a reason why they're ranked the best used car money can buy, and why you see a lot of owners' of car lots driving them for themselves.

Trust us, this is one automobile purchase that you will never regret doing. You'll have some pricey repair bills probably in the next 25,000 miles, but you'll still be giggling to yourself knowing that you drive a car that still feels like a $50,000 automobile, but only paid teen$ for....

LS400 = best kept secret in the used automobile world. :cheers:

Buy that car!

I drive a 99 LS - I have the same engine as you would with the 98. It's a remarkable car for the money.

A Benz without out some of the modern bugs.

I replaced a starter in mine - cost me 1K - if you do this, buy a brand new starter - no rebuilds... No chances here. They have to remove the top of the engine to get at it - mostly labor cost.

I've yet to do the 90K service - my local dealer has told me to wait until 100-110. I spoke with a mechanic there and he mentioned that he's pulled off many belts that had gone the full 90K+ and more and they look like they've had almost no wear. The belts are built with teflon.... Anyway, I may even wait until 120K for the TB, water pump, seals, pullies - service - most of the time I drive like a granny. Occasionally, I like to let it eat though. If you're an aggressive driver, I'd go on a replace the belt and all the other recommended stuff with that service (if you buy the car).

A few things I don't like:

Generic - tiny cupholders - HVAC system - complex and not for dummies (Navigation model).

Navigation is old school and is obsolete for more upgrades. On a car with this tag, I don't get this.

Timing belt busts and your out an engine - another one I really don't get.

Seats aren't wide enough - I like the wrap around feel of Volvo seats and they are bigger.

The rest of the car is fabulous and it's very powerful for a big car. Great ride, better handling than one would expect, great milage 19 City - 29 Hwy, very roomy, big trunk, not everyone has one either - oh and ladies love them. I'll probably give mine to my parents and get a newer one sooner or later - I'll never sell it off - it's too good of a car. I have no problem spending the bucks on this car - it's really higher end than it even looks.

13k is a very good deal here in tx. A 2000 ls400 is my fav year, yours is pretty much the same. 290/300 really makes that car move. The starter is a real issue. It's expensive and random. Expect it and it won't be a big deal. Doesn't really matter what starter honestly, the part that wears isn't the internals of the starter but the contact zones that can be replaced with 10 dollars of material if you know what you are doing. I just replaced the TB/WP etc. on my 91 ls400 with 131k miles. I had just bought the car and the service had never been done. The TB/WP were fine but the cam and crank seals leaked. Even so, realize the risk you take by not changing the belt, the 98+ engine is an interference design and the internals crash into each other if the belt slips or breaks at a cost of 5-8 grand EASY.

Go ask lexus if they will pay for a new engine if you don't change it at 90k. The one word response will speak volumes about their true belief towards the matter. Also, no one, no lexus tech, no religious leader, can tell the condition of a belt by looking at it. You can tell if it IS worn, but you can't tell if it ISN'T.

Before you condone lexus for the interference design [break belts=problems], don't. The interference design allows more compression and more power. The older 250hp pre 98 engines were NOT interference therefore could break without too much trouble, but at the cost of 40hp. Do not assume there is a flaw in this engine design, it is SUPERIOR to a non-interference design and you'll see that almost ALL sportscars with potent engines are interference design. It is common for people to criticize this ignorantly, when in fact they should be thanking the engineers.

jc is right about the navigation, lexus was dumb there, I don't care so it doesn't bother me.

Seats are a personal matter, I think they are fine for a luxury car you don't drive too robustly.

Ok - still buy that car! As for Sahtt's comments - and with respect.

This is a comfort thing and I'm still going to push mine a bit - dealer told me so. In the history of the dealership that I called - they've never replaced an engine on any LS due to a timing belt break - ever. The mechanic I spoke to said this from day 1. I will agree that the engineers put limits on parts for reason. However, I guess I 'might ask myself - was this mechanic trying to sell me a new engine, or be honest with me. I'd say the later of the two. I've never heard of a timing belt breaking on anyone in my lifetime - family, friends colleagues - anyone. Maybe they all replace theirs... Only on horror stories; like it happens to punks who race and drive aggressive all the time etc.

Furthermore, I'd say 50% of car owners (even Lexus folks), don't get the car serviced as stated in the manual. Hence, manufacturers are aware of this. After paying 60K for a new Lexus and to have it blow up after 6 years of driving, wouldn't do much for the reputation of Lexus or any other make. Parts like this actually last much longer. Not to mention the sales pitch associated with it all. (I used to be a mechanic) -

Creating a problem to solve a problem is a huge part of the service business.

As for buying remanufactured parts, well - if it cost the dealership 15 bucks to put new diodes etc into a Denso and repaint it, and sell it back to you for 350$ - why not just pay for a brand new one for 400$. At least this seems principly smarter and you have absolutely a brand new unit.

Enjoy the 98 - no matter what you'll love it. Service it as you wish - It's still a car of a lifetime.

As far as the navigation being "dumb". Guys, the car is 8 years old. The technology of these nav systems is changing as fast as computer technology, drive any 1998 car with nav and see how "current" the nav system is. If anything the Lexus system is the MOST current of the systems availiable at that time. I have a 2003, and MY system is outdated compared to the new systems, updated or not.

Might be better that NAV system is not there.

I have a 93 and say it is an awesome car! I rented about 30 cars last year and not one new car was as great as my 93. As for looks not one rental except the Infinity 35 turned a head. The LEXUS does this every day and I dont go out of my way to get compliments. They come to me.. Ohh wait it might be my name on the plate. :) For 13k I would buy!

- my NAV system has gotten me out of some good "losts"

I.E. Chicago, Nashville, western Kentucky. Anyway, I guess its not that its outdated so much that it costs 300 bucks to fix it... The upgrade could be more simple.

I tried to take my stereo out - LOL!!!!! My front/center dash vents fell right apart into tons of pieces - I had a time putting those back in. I lost interest in fooling with it altogether after that happened.

NC - really says it best of all - well said.

That's funny jc, as last week in the Nashville, Kentucky/ Smokies the Nav saved a Male ego...Mine, LOL

The funny part is it's a "female" voice that saved my butt..But alas they always have.. ;) Nav is super cool and if you upgrade to a newer Lexus you will never look back...Promise..They are all such "exceptional" automobiles..and I have Loved cars since childhood...a few years back..LOL

I'd like to jump in here with a question that seems to fit in this thread. I am looking at a 2000 LS as my first lexus model. I've read many accolades along with some warnings. Some of the recurring trouble spots seem to be suspension bushings, instrument cluster lighting, and crank seals, some of which the replies here have echoed. Is this primarily for the older models (<98) or does this include models up through 2000? Are the crank seals (and cam seals, as you mentioned) items that wear faster on this engine than in other Toyota engines?

As for the 4.0L interference design mentioned here, I had a different answer from the local Lexus service advisor. He informed me that the 98-00 engines were non-interference designs and that change was made when they graduated from rotor/cap to distributorless ignition systems for the LS/GS. Perhaps my potential service advisor was in error--I will check with another out-of-state dealership to get a 3rd viewpoint on this topic.

I'd like to jump in here with a question that seems to fit in this thread. I am looking at a 2000 LS as my first lexus model. I've read many accolades along with some warnings. Some of the recurring trouble spots seem to be suspension bushings, instrument cluster lighting, and crank seals, some of which the replies here have echoed. Is this primarily for the older models (<98) or does this include models up through 2000? Are the crank seals (and cam seals, as you mentioned) items that wear faster on this engine than in other Toyota engines?

As for the 4.0L interference design mentioned here, I had a different answer from the local Lexus service advisor. He informed me that the 98-00 engines were non-interference designs and that change was made when they graduated from rotor/cap to distributorless ignition systems for the LS/GS. Perhaps my potential service advisor was in error--I will check with another out-of-state dealership to get a 3rd viewpoint on this topic.

Well, my 2000 LS400 has about 70,000 miles on it and has not had any problems yet.

I had some of the suspension bushings on my first LS400 (1990) replaced after about 10 years and somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles -- I don't remember it being particularly expensive. The dealer also replaced some of the bushings on my 90 LS under warranty when they started making noise. The crank seal on my 90 LS started leaking very early and was replaced by the dealer under warranty and did not leak again.

Lexus did a huge amount of redesign between the earliest and later LS400 so it looks like most of the early problems were resolved as the model years passed. For example, the alternator was repositioned on the later LS400 so power steering fluid could not leak down on it. I used to park the 90 LS and 00 LS in the garage side by side and go back and forth between the two marveling at all the differences. As far as I know the 98-00 LS engine is an interference engine. The Gen 1 is not interference - the water pump failed on my 90 LS trashing the timing belt and the car just coasted to a stop with no engine damage.

Personally, I think the gen 1 (90-94) LS400 handles better than the later ones. My 2000 is much more of a "cruiser" but that is what I want at this stage in life.

Funny you should mention handling. I test drove a 99 yesterday...took it in a tight curving country road just to see how it was....and it was pretty damn scary. The car really doesn't inspire confidence. I'm sort of reconsidering now.

Lash,

Common' bro. Most of your driving will be in straight lines... but, I do understand... The LS is quiet like a Lincoln, solid like a Benz, handles like a Jag, fast as an older Mustang GT - in the shop much less than all of them. To appreciate the LS, is to drive it for several months and then when you least expect it, drive someone else's car on a short trip or a long one... You'll get back in your LS and say "wow". Try and reread the thread by NC -

Heck, if you change your mind, go with a GS300/GS400 - my wife has a 98 GS 300. Its a great car too.

The straight six is pretty potent and sounds wonderful; and it handles significantly tighter than the LS. She's got the factory (wider) rim and tire package - these are loud, but look really good on the car. I'd go with the standard wheel and Tire package on that one. But, thats just me.

Good luck!

The suspension bushings wear like any other car. It is an unavoidable part of the modern suspension, unless you drive a ferrari F50 which has a bushingless suspension that feels like a rock. The instrument cluster lighting is a major issue on the older models. I have a 91 and the panels still work fine, but the needles are only lit about 2/3 the proper amount. If you know who to look for it can be fixed for 300-500$. Realize yours is most likely improved, so it should last another 9 years worst case scenario. Crank and cam seals only leak when they aren't changed when they are supposed to. They can only be changed with the timing belt off. People tend to prolong this service and the belt may last forever, but the seals are not special and WILL leak. Mine probably started leaking slightly around 125k and significantly at 130k. The rubber material also degrades over time, 15 years of it in my case.

I'm 99.99% sure they are interference engines. That is how they raised the power from the previous models on the otherwise same engine. I do believe this was the time they removed the distributor system, long overdue may I add. My 91 300zx turbo was distributorless.

The engine is perhaps the most reliable and durable engine ever produced. This is no small statement. I am not biased towards the ls400 drivetrain, as I have owned many, many different cars. The ls400 transmission is also quite possibly the most robust automatic every produced [in a mass produced car of course]. It is not going to be more problem free than a civic or accord though [i've owned both]. It will be much more problem free compared to a benz or bmw [owned both].

As per earlier posts, I think you missed my point. I whole-heartedly agree that in most* cases, you can run the car to 120k miles, probably even more, without the TB breaking. Mine was 15 years old with 131k miles, I can attest to the possibility! However, like all things in life it is a cost-benefit relationship. The cost for doing the service earlier by a year or two max is far, far less of the potential cost of the belt breaking. If you put 150k on the car, you still have do the timing belt sometime. Might as well do it when you are supposed to. Now if you have a 97- engine, odds are the belt breaking won't do anything. In that case, if you don't mind the inconvenience and tow charge, put 200k on the belt if you want.

Lash,

Common' bro. Most of your driving will be in straight lines... but, I do understand... The LS is quiet like a Lincoln, solid like a Benz, handles like a Jag, fast as an older Mustang GT - in the shop much less than all of them. To appreciate the LS, is to drive it for several months and then when you least expect it, drive someone else's car on a short trip or a long one... You'll get back in your LS and say "wow". Try and reread the thread by NC -

Heck, if you change your mind, go with a GS300/GS400 - my wife has a 98 GS 300. Its a great car too.

The straight six is pretty potent and sounds wonderful; and it handles significantly tighter than the LS. She's got the factory (wider) rim and tire package - these are loud, but look really good on the car. I'd go with the standard wheel and Tire package on that one. But, thats just me.

Good luck!

Yah...you're right about doing mostly highway driving. I guess I was just surprised by the handling.

On a positive note, my mechanic will do the timing belt and water pump for around $600. I love this guy!

True the LS is primarily a cruiser, but I never felt the handling was *scary* on country roads. Its softly sprung, but its well composed provided you don't try and drive it like a Porsche.

My dad had his 98 for 160k miles and he had lower ball joints replaced at 100k or so, an an A/C compressor under warranty. That was it. Its a great car.

Sahtt & others,

Thanks for the feedback. I verified with 2 other Lexus dealers that this IS an interference engine as you stated (my first advisor contact was mistaken). In others posts, there seemed to be some uneasiness regarding this type of engine. However, as a counterpoint, the extremely reliable 3.0 and 3.5L engines in the Honda vehicles are also the interference type--as you say, do the service and fret about something else like rising interest rates.

I am contemplating my first 98-2000 Lexus purchase for primarily one reason--reliability. Yes, many of the vehicle's other attributes will be appreciated, but I am looking for one of the most reliable used cars available in this price range with this type of feature content. The LS seems, according to reports from various sources [JD, ConRep, etc], to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. I'm simply looking for support or refute from current owners in terms of reliability in relation to other competing products, luxury class or not. With the high expectation for reliability near prefection, it can be easy to develop a negative attitude towards even minor problems--I need to keep that in mind with some of the other threads I've read.

I was also concerned about the reported much higher-than-average repair costs for this car. I called yesterday to inquire about a TB/WP replacement as well as an alternator replacment. Interestingly, the lexus dealer was 10% higher and 10% lower respectively for an LS than a HOnda dealer for comparative hypothetical repairs to an 04 Honda Odyssey. Not what I expected.

Any other reliability/repair feedback is appreciated.

I also have a 98 LS and it has 84k. I plan on changing the timing belt and water pump within the next 3-5000 miles and that's mostly because of not knowing for sure of the type of engine it has. I was advised by my dealer that the engine is non-interference, but that was after first being told by a different advisor that it was interference. I've read thru the threads and I'd like to know where to obtain the definitive answer on whether or not the 98 LS 400 is non'interferance. I'd hate to lose an engine because the dealer didn't know what he was talking about.

i have a 90 LS. i've owned it for about a year+. the olny thing i had to replace was the alternator, valve cover gasket, and power steering pump. all done by me! the car is a mechanical wonder. but here's the amazing thing, the carfax checked out good, but the last time the odometer worked was in 2001 with 189k on the clock. personally i would never seriously consider purchasing another type of vehicle (except a bucket, gas milage). Lexus is the truth. just look at how EVERYONE LOVES THEIR LEXUS. it's not a coincedence.