High-mileage Issues With The Rx300

RX in NC

At some point in time over the next year we'll come to a crossroads with my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD where a decision will have to be made about replacing it or driving it into the ground. Since my brain is ruled by financial calculations and when it becomes acceptible to swallow the depreciation and get a replacement vehicle, that decision point arrives for me at around 130,000 miles as long as the vehicle continues to hold up with no additional major failures. We've had no serious problems with the vehicle since December 2004, which translates to about the last 32,000 miles or so (it's currently showing about 108,500 miles on the odometer).

The well-known RX failures that we've experienced and had Lexus fix on their dime include the transmission, the exhaust manifold, multiple oxygen sensors, the rear main oil seal, the front strut mount bushings, and probably a couple of other repairs that don't come to mind right now. My guess is that the next known failure on her vehicle may be the dogbone engine mount, but this is relatively minor and easy to replace if and when it becomes apparent that the engine is shaking a bit when idling or the transmission is shifted from drive to reverse and back.

Being the cost-oriented and ROI-driven consumer that I am (my wife would laugh and say "cost-oriented is just a businesslike term admitting he's a damn tightwad"), my preference would be for her to keep driving the thing beyond the 130,000 mile threshhold as long as my routine maintenance costs don't increase dramatically and she is still reasonably comfortable with the vehicle and doesn't lose trust in it again (as she did when the transmission failed). That's preferable to forking out $35,000 or so for her next vehicle. Preferable to me, anyway. Probably not to her. But that's another story for another day.

All of this background information builds up to my real question: Is there anybody out there with 150,000 to 200,000 miles rolled up on your RX300 AWD? If so, what have you had to do to it beyond my list of repairs checked off above to keep it roadworthy? New timing belts and water pumps would probably be expected, as would a new set of iridium spark plugs. All of those items can really be considered routine maintenance, though.

So if you're out there cruising along with a high-mileage, all-wheel-drive RX300, please jump in here with the problems you've had to resolve. I'm looking for trends that will help me decide whether or not it would be better to go ahead and get rid of this thing at around 130,000 miles or try to stretch it for another year or two assuming my wife won't kill me in my sleep for refusing to let her go ahead and obtain her next primary vehicle as originally planned. Thanks for any input offered.

P.S. - Stay out of this thread, Monarch. You have no dog in this fight, nor any credibility with me....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then.......speaking for Monarch.......There are absolutely NO problems with ANY Toyota or Lexus vehicles unless you caused them yourself. Aside from the issues you already caused through neglect, improper driving, using non-OEM fluids and other bad stuff, you should be OK for another 300k miles.\

Oh....and don't forget...... don't follow the owners manual because that is written for lazy Americans who don't want to maintain their vehicles.

OK. Let's see....did I pretty much cover Monarch's normal comments? Hmmm......Your fault.......Toyota perfect......OEM good, other all bad.....following owners manual not enough.....YEP, that's about it. Now he REALLY can skip this thread because i just made his post for him.

well then.......speaking for Monarch.......There are absolutely NO problems with ANY Toyota or Lexus vehicles unless you caused them yourself. Aside from the issues you already caused through neglect, improper driving, using non-OEM fluids and other bad stuff, you should be OK for another 300k miles.\

Oh....and don't forget...... don't follow the owners manual because that is written for lazy Americans who don't want to maintain their vehicles.

OK. Let's see....did I pretty much cover Monarch's normal comments? Hmmm......Your fault.......Toyota perfect......OEM good, other all bad.....following owners manual not enough.....YEP, that's about it. Now he REALLY can skip this thread because i just made his post for him.

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Funny you even sound like him! ;)

That was unnecessary and uncalled for.

I have no issue driving a Lexus, Acura, Honda, or Toyota beyond the 130000 mile point. My experience with Japanese engineering has been wonderful; 95 Honda Civic with 140000 miles and NO issues AT ALL, 93 Acura Legend with 110000 miles and still hasn't seen the inside of a dealership, 95 Acura Integra with a 135000 and one burned valve (never did figure that one out).

I would drive a 130000 mile Lexus anywhere, anytime, under any conditions, especially noting your maintenance issues and assuming that all fluids have been properly changed etc.

Gary

RX in NC, it's unfortunate that we're not seeing any feedback on this thread as I'm also interested in the long term experience with the RX. I'm at a crossroad myself with my CPO FWD RX300, which has been fairly trouble free (01 with only 65K miles). The primary concern for you should be a repeat transmission failure. Aside from that, you can expect normal wear which is similar to what owners of the ES300 are experiencing, since it has the same engine and accessories. I think aside from the transmission, you can expect any of the following issues to arise at your mileage alternator, starter, power steering pump, front crank shaft seal leak, cam shaft seal leak, and front CV shaft boot tear. I still believe that this is sold and reliable vehicle, and if your able to find a competent independent shop to work on it instead of the dealer you will come out ahead by keeping it.

Thanks for the input alsalih, and your assumptions concerning various components that are subject to begin breaking down given our current mileage are fairly typical for just about any vehicle from any manufacturer (other than potential crankshaft/camshaft leaks). If our replaced transmission begins to fail, the vehicle is out of here in a heartbeat. But I can tolerate typical components needing to be replaced as long as I can handle the repairs myself. What I will NOT do is hang onto a vehicle that begins to suffer serious failures which require frequent service by a repair shop (no dealership for me unless it's warranty work, thank you).

There don't seem to be any high-mileage owners who frequent this board. I've seen a couple who've stated that they're running at 120,000 to 130,000 miles or so, but when they receive the answer to the problem which caused them to post here, they disappear until their next problem crops up. I'm trying to build a trend line of what to expect, and it appears that I'm not going to be able to get enough data at this point to do so. This is all being driven by my wife hinting that she wants a new vehicle ahead of my predetermined depreciation schedule, and I really don't want to cave in to an early replacement and therefore violate my financial model for her current vehicle. She could possibly convince me to do so, but I want some empirical data in my hands first. Sadly, I don't believe that I'm going to get that information here.

Hey RXin NC my wifes car is at 124.5k and my neighbors is at 152k. You know my story, but my neighbor who commutes mostly highway is on the original tranny. They also do not maintane their vehicle like you and I do. Must be the driving at freeway speeds being the blessing. I am on all original items of alternator, pumps (except water pump which I had changed with the timing belt) and starter. I was going to get a set of bearings and brushes for the alternator and do a pre failure change, but have procrastenated. All axle boots and drive line look good. The Oxygen sensors are original, but from the posts make me nervous. In california the emissions test are tough, but on the October one the car sailed thru with very low numbers. Anyway that is my feed back .....Tom

too funny, thanks for the morning laugh here on the west coast. have a great day.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I didn't realize that your wife's vehicle was over 120,000 miles. Hope it keeps holding on for you and that you've put your final transmission into it....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I didn't realize that your wife's vehicle was over 120,000 miles. Hope it keeps holding on for you and that you've put your final transmission into it....

i am driving a toyota 93 sedan that is currently 260,000 miles, original engine and transmission and still going strong, 120,000 is really nothing.

Sorry Grumpa, The sedan probably does not have AWD and some of the more sophisticated electronics that the RX300 Had. Plus the additional bells and whistles could be prone to failure over the course of the vehicles life, and RX was looking for some of the failures on the higher mileage vehicles. Yes, Alternators, starters, seals, fuel pumps and the list goes on will fail on any car, but the 93 sedan and the RX300 are two very different beasts, expecially since the RX is very heavy and puts a lot of strain on the drive system. As for the bells and whistles, We have had the door lock mechanism on the drivers door fail, and the antenna, and other than the clock going crazy due to a battery going bad. The plastic hardware on the seat rails has fallen off since day one, and some have broken. I am sweating the alternator, and power steering pump and have noticed a loss of coolent (very slowly). Good morning to everyone.

The transmission is always my biggest concern as I am on number three.......................

Yep, comparing the maintenance history and requirements of an all-wheel-drive RX300 to a Toyota sedan is useless in this specific case.

I strongly believe that part of the RX300's problem is that when it was concocted off the Camry platform, no significant engineering improvements and upgrades were added to the engine, transmission, or suspension. Whenever ANY manufacturer (not just Toyota) attempts to create a much heavier, higher-center-of-gravity SUV out of a sedan platform without investing the necessary engineering and funds into stronger engines and more durable transmissions and suspensions, they're asking for trouble. Those of us who've suffered from the well-known RX component failures seem to be living proof....

RX in NC,

I have been driving for 10 yrs. now and I have been switching between Nissan and Lexus. My first car was 92 Maxima and I sold it when it turned 194K miles on the odo. Then I bought a 92 LS400 used. Had it for about 2 yrs. and sold it to my friend at 185K. Now I'm driving a 94 SC300 at 150K and no problem so far. Just regular routine on the car and no problem.

ktranne,

All of your vehicles mentioned above are sedans and I would say are all better engineered than the RX300. Especially the LS400. Knock on wood and keep rolling along. Best of luck to you....

Yep, comparing the maintenance history and requirements of an all-wheel-drive RX300 to a Toyota sedan is useless in this specific case.

I strongly believe that part of the RX300's problem is that when it was concocted off the Camry platform, no significant engineering improvements and upgrades were added to the engine, transmission, or suspension. Whenever ANY manufacturer (not just Toyota) attempts to create a much heavier, higher-center-of-gravity SUV out of a sedan platform without investing the necessary engineering and funds into stronger engines and more durable transmissions and suspensions, they're asking for trouble. Those of us who've suffered from the well-known RX component failures seem to be living proof....

And keep in mind that since this was a FWD platform with the engine and transaxle mounted sideways there is limited amount of space to put the "beefier" transaxle otherwise required of even a "light" SUV. And now they're talking a six speed transaxle...?

Those are going to be really "thin" clutch packs.

My 1991 AWD Toyota Previa has a tiny 2.4L 4-cylinder engine coupled to basically the same design viscous transfer unit pushing a 3755 lb minivan. The engine, transmission and transfer unit is crammed UNDERNEATH the van next to the exhaust so it's located in a space much worse than the RX300's engine. It's lasted 225,000 miles with everything original. The RX300 AWD has a 3.0L V-6 pushing a lighter 3692 lb vehicle. So it seems the engine and driveline of the RX300 should be loafing compared to the heavier Previa. For what it worth, Consumer's Reports rates the RX300 as above average or better across the line. Note that the 1999-2001 Toyota V-6 is commonly referred to as the "sludge" engine so, even though Toyota put an extended warranty on it, you have to make sure your oil changes are done on time (which probably means no more than every 5,000 miles). I haven't had any problems with my 2000, but if the transmission goes - I won't be happy.

Ok I have a '99 RX, but I've noticed that mostly men have answered your post! My RX is truly a wonderful, reliable, safe car. Yes, my transmission was replaced for free, too. However, I don't feel able to deal with mechanical problems should they happen on the road. Therefore, on behalf of the wives I think you should keep the car yourself and let your wife drive a newer car! I gave mine to my son to drive around town. It is still maintained by the dealer and is fine at 79,000 miles. He loves the heated seats amongst other features, and I don't worry about him in the snow. However, I have a RX 400h.

Hey Lex Blu good for you, My wife drives her car 98 percent of the time. The tranny failure really hit her hard as she payed for her car herself and after the last payment the tranny failed. Quite sad for a $40K plus car with such nice driving habits. We both love the car for the highway and city, but don't accept the lack of reliability to lightly. We broke down two states away on vacation, which made it even worse. the Rest of the car has been wonderful. Good luck with you 400h.

LexRexBlue,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm 6-foot-7 and don't fit into the RX from either a headroom or legroom perspective. And the RX is just too much of a "girlie car" for me. Not to mention that I really despise its lousy failure history with us. I prefer pick-ups. But thanks for contributing anyway.

LexRexBlue,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm 6-foot-7 and don't fit into the RX from either a headroom or legroom perspective. And the RX is just too much of a "girlie car" for me. Not to mention that I really despise its lousy failure history with us. I prefer pick-ups. But thanks for contributing anyway.

So what was your point in starting this thread?

the RX is just too much of a "girlie car" for me. Not to mention that I really despise its lousy failure history with us. I prefer pick-ups. But thanks for contributing anyway.

Its true , once something has failed you its going to be tainted permanently in your mind.

As for being a "girlie" car I'd say the RX is pretty neutral. It certainly isn't particularly "macho" but then again, the average Lexus owner is a bit more sophisticated than the average Pick-Up driver.

the RX is just too much of a "girlie car" for me. Not to mention that I really despise its lousy failure history with us. I prefer pick-ups. But thanks for contributing anyway.

Its true , once something has failed you its going to be tainted permanently in your mind.

As for being a "girlie" car I'd say the RX is pretty neutral. It certainly isn't particularly "macho" but then again, the average Lexus owner is a bit more sophisticated than the average Pick-Up driver.

Are you saying my NRA sticker is spoiling my RX image? I sure don't want my neighbors to look upon me as unsophisticated.