Check Something Out For Me?

If you go to the Australian Toyota site. www.toyota.com.au Have a look at the new Camry. Especially the sports version.. I am guessing it is the same car in America.. Tell me how much you think it is similar or not to the new ES?... If you dont think so, tell me what you think, and I guess, you know is different?

Lastly, do you like the body of the Camry better, than the new ES... Forgetting that you are Lexus people. Give an honest answer to this... Very curious....

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

i really like the new camry

i like its styling more than the new ES

i drove a loaner from lexus the other day and it was nice smooth quiet and huige inside

i definatly like it

especially with a nice body kit and rims and the car soooo has to be lowered

way too much fender gap

I actually don't like the new Camry myself. I think next to competitors like the new Honda Accord and the new Nissan Maxima it looks somewhat dated and cheap already, and lacks a lot of the high end equipment those cars have. Equipment that actually the ES300 doesn't have like a voice activated nav system in the Accord, power tilt/telescoping wheel in the Maxima. Maxima has bi-xenon headlights, Accord has electroluminescent gauges. Makes the Camry look really ho-hum. It also seems overpriced, being the most expensive out of those cars, with the least standard and availiable equipment and option packages. It'll be really interesting to see what Infiniti does with the next I35 off the Maxima and Acura does with the next TL. My guess is they wont actually have much their downline siblings dont have.

I also really dislike the rear styling of the Camry, not sure why.

Here you have the Maxima, fully loaded SL at $33500 with navigation heated and cooled seats, heated power tilt telescoping wheel, unique rear bucket seats (deleted saves you $1,000) that are power and heated, rear sunshade DVD navigation, Bose stereo, automatic power entry/exit, power folding mirrors. VDC stability control, 17 inch rims, and a 265hp engine. Really unique panoramic sunroof. Really a neat car, too sporty for my taste, but really a neat car.

Then you have the Accord, priced at $27,800 with DVD voice activated navigation, 240hp engine, electrochromic gauges, heated seats, memory seats etc.

Then you have the Camry, $27,855 with heated seats, 210hp engine, no navigation (cancelled currently in the Camry run).

When you look at the options, unless highest comfort and most reliable are the top on your list, the Camry is in obvious last place. Here you have the Accord and Maxima with equipment and packages that you normally only see on cars 2 1/2 times as expensive. Tough competition.

We'll see what Toyota comes up with when they into the new engine. I dont suspect many if any changes to the ES from Lexus for the 04 year other than the 3.3 because Lexus doesn't know what Infiniti and Acura are going to do, but they'll be there for 05 once Lexus sees what they're up against and what the buyers find attractive. They'll have to do something for the Camry though...

My parents just bought an 03 accord last weekend (if you remember i had asked you guys about the TSX...well they decided to go with the accord).

I couldn't talk them into the 6 cylinder, but I drove the 4 and its pretty quick. Here is what came standard with the leather package:

moonroof

dual zone auto climate control

heated seats

in dash 6 cd changer w/ premium sound

electrochromatic dash lights

auto-dimming rear view mirror (i think...not 100% sure)

halogen headlamps

16" alloy wheels

auto up/down on drivers side (i think this is pretty standard now anyways)

8 way drivers side power seat

side airbags (come out of the side of the front seats)

I'm probably missing a few things, but the car is beautiful. They got the champagne color with the tan interior, and goddamn is the leather soft. I wish I could take her seats out and put them on mine. Anyways, its a gorgeous car, and they got it for about $22k.

i would say i dislike the style of lights on both the camry and the ES..... im not really into the newer cars, the style just seems to have lost its edge.... the 97-99 camry's were the coolest (in my opinion)..but they did need a spoiler...the newer cars just seem to be too "puffy"...

im a person who looks at the little things (accesories, outside cosmetic kinda stuff) rahter than what's under the hood..since i don't know anything about what i would be looking at...)

The 03 accord coupe looks great. real sporty, just like the solara is for camry.

come to think of it, lexus should make another coupe, like the solara. something thats more luxurious than the SC but still pretty sporty. i really like the look of the solara, and i love coupes.

the lights in the rear of the new camry in some parts of europe and asia

seem to have a light that extends into the rear trunk lid

i saw one and the lights made it look almost like a bmw 3 series with smaller lights to blend into the body

a very nice look

sk- Never seen that, the lights on or Camry are whats wrong with it I think.

skeemer- Ever sat in or driven an SC? Its one of the most luxurious cars on the road. Its honestly not like a sports car, it drives more like an LS. hard to make something more luxurious than it LOL.

Piggy-the 97-99 Camry had to be about the most boring and unnatractive its ever been. At least in 00 they freshened it some with clear reflector lights front and rear, but in 97 I remember being saddened at what they'd done to it. I think you're the first person that ever told me it was their favorite lol. The previous model was quite attractive.

Check it out:

This is the 97 Camry

Camryx1.jpg

Here's the 00:

Camry2.jpg

in the rear:

Camryx2.jpg

As you can see, in 00 they replaced the headlights with much more attractive clear lens reflector units, redid the bumper and grille, came out with some better looking wheels, introduced two toning on some models, and redid the shape of the rear lights which are also now clear reflector.

all the newer cars suck ... they all try to go for the same bubble look shape and options..... ugly as hell....

who need a damn navigation anyways...

im sure camry will come out with it...

Go camry ! at least it doesnt look like an egg.... COugh accord COugh

SW, enlighten me on the "cooled" seats. Am I to assume we now have refrigerant running through the seats? I don't even want to think of repair cost (or better yet if you spring a leak) if that is the case.

I really like the new Maxima and have a little desire to go check one out with a test drive. The moonroof is very odd, it is like they turned it 90 degrees. It must open left to right?

steviej

Neil, They all sell much better then their predescessors. Change is something you gotta accept. As for navigation, thats spoken like someone who'se never had a car with it. My ES has navigation, and I'll never buy another car that doesn't. It makes trips, and all in all just getting around so much easier.

"I'm stuck in traffic, will that exit get me home?"

Hit the home button and the system will tell you by plotting the direction to your preprogrammed home. Tell it not to use the highway you're on, and you're home in no time flat on the backroads. Its awesome.

No more getting crappy directions from mapquest, fumbling to read them while driving. No more wondering how much longer, the system takes your average speed and calculates time to destination to the minute. No more wondering what the name of this road is, the system tells you. No more wondering where the closest Exxon station is, the system tells you. Its new technology and buyers want it. The Camry does have the system from the ES, but for some reason its not availiable right now.

Right now the Camry looks like a Ford Taurus, lacking all this new technology. Its way way out of date already.

stevie, the LS430 has heated/cooled seats. The way it actually works is there are a lot of tiny silent fans inside the seat that circulate air through the perforated leather. The seat heaters on these cars work the same way. Consider it air conditioning for your butt. Very cool (pun intended) ;)

I'm not sure how the new Maxima's standard sunroof opens, or even if it opens at all. A standard sunroof is an option, the car comes standard with that one, may just be glass.

I haven't seen one up close myself yet, but I want to. I've heard it rides like a sports car though.

your right .... ive never had a navigation system...

just a !Removed! compass to help me follow my hand writtenn directions....

guess your right ...

i guess my bias is just really twords the shapes of the newer vehicles.... im not to fond of them ...

i love the styling of the LS430 ... my taste is more twords that end....

cheers mate :cheers:

See what I mean?

See its interesting that you prefer the LS430, because it gets a lot of bad press for being too bubbly and rounded.

Did you check out the pic I posted of the refreshed LS430 in the LS forum? Some NICE little changes.

The new Camry looks pretty good. not as cool as the ES, though its pretty similar. What i don't get is why hasn't lexus put more Umph! into the engines??? I mean. my 97 es, goes pretty darn fast, pretty darn quick, but if they at least bumped it to what their competators are doing, it would be nice! but also, i guess thats what the ES330 will do, took them long enough... As for the shapes of the cars, the best to me is the GS series, and YES, navigation is SOOO awesome i wish there was one for my 97 :( anyway the GS is not too round, its got nice curves :whistles: :whistles: :whistles: and the bottome skirt looks really nice (almost like some BMW M skirts ive seen)

the pick is too big to IMG, so here's the link! http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/GS/GS430

Ahhh... Those wonderful curves.... :rolleyes:

~Brian~

"I'm stuck in traffic, will that exit get me home?"

Hit the home button and the system will tell you by plotting the direction to your preprogrammed home. Tell it not to use the highway you're on, and you're home in no time flat on the backroads. Its awesome.

No more getting crappy directions from mapquest, fumbling to read them while driving. No more wondering how much longer, the system takes your average speed and calculates time to destination to the minute. No more wondering what the name of this road is, the system tells you. No more wondering where the closest Exxon station is, the system tells you.

MAN, I am green with envy. GREEN, I TELL YA!! I SO need this option. I don't even want to ponder how much it might cost to install one in my 98, much less think about how they'd have to rip up the dash, etc.

Someone humor me and give me a ballpark figure.

I cannot wait for my next Lexus. It will absolutely have Navigation. :magic:

i agree i love my gs body more then any.its a very good design and thats why they didnt change it yet.i have a 98 and it looks like a 2003.i too dont know why lexus didnt put more power in the es because maxima and acura tl both are faster.i guess thats why the maxima is so dame popular!i must say the new 2003 ones are very nice.nissan is really starting to look better lately.not better then lexus but better then most others.i like that new z!