Tires

kmb4701

I found a pair of brand new Kumho touring tires. Just wandering if anyone has any experience with them . I'm just looking for a smooth ride, nothing flashy or anything.

I think the ones I found are Kunho 732 Touring

Any opinions are appreciated.

Keven

I found a pair of brand new Kumho touring tires. Just wandering if anyone has any experience with them . I'm just looking for a smooth ride, nothing flashy or anything.

Keven

From the folks who have tried kumho's, they are not rated highly at all on this site I'm afraid. No experience with them personally. But after reading many comments about them, I doubt I ever will.

:cheers:

The Kuhmo's are from a great pedigree with their racing 'Victoracer' tire series among a few that the SCCA Solo guys prefer. I was very bigoted against Korean rubber for a long time, surprised when I tried them on a used car test ride. After this experience, I bought a set for my daily driver, which gave great traction, wear and low noise for almost no bucks and lasted 30,000+ hard driven roadster miles.

My ES has the new Solus KH's on, a very quiet grand touring tire which turns/stops very well in dry and wet conditions. Rides great, is quiet too. It's an H rated tire, rated 50,000 miles I think. Oh, under $50 each at TireRack.com ~ read their reviews for more insight from lots more people that bought them and just aren't spouting opinion. They are a nice balance at a bargain price.

Keven

Keven, the bridge will chew up those kumhos pretty quickly. I'm from your neck of the woods, had kumho's on my last car while I lived down there. the drawbridge for some reason would EAT the tread. Worst tire I've had. I've never seen a draw bridge do that to any other tire I've had before. I was there for 8 + years, and went through several tires. The kumho's where the only ones that suffered like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuhmo makes complete crap.

Of 4 sets i had sidewall buldges on 12 tires which i find ridiculously poor in quality.

SK Why did u buy 4 sets? What happened to once burned twice shy?

Fair question. B)

:cheers:

• 6 months later...

I have a set of Khumo ASX's on my gs430. I have about 15k on them and they seem to be doing very well so far. The Khumos are reasonably quiet, smooth riding and are much cheaper than many other brands. The only drawback is a slight reduction in handling (turn-in, crisp direction changes of direction, etc.). They are a bunch better than the Potenzas that were on t he car when I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter what tire brand is being discussed, there is always someone who has a horror story to tell. The Khumo brand seems to be a reasonable compromise between super expensive/great handling/hard riding and moderately expensive/good handling/reasonable riding. That's why they make so many different tires - it's an inexact science.

If you do some reading around, it becomes clear some tires have more horror stories than most. Kumho is one of those tires.

I considered a Kumho tire when I bought tires for the ES once, the two tire shops that sold them in my area refused to mount them on my car for me because they felt they would be so dangerous. One said they'd sell them to me, but only unmounted, one wouldn't even sell them to me period.

Now there has to be a reason for that...

• 5 weeks later...

Now there's something you don't see every day - a tire dealer that refuses to sell the tires he sells????

A businessperson with integrity. He knows the tires are poor so he won't sell them. They do still exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Now there's something you don't see every day - a tire dealer that refuses to sell the tires he sells????

A businessperson with integrity. He knows the tires are poor so he won't sell them. They do still exist.

More than likely your guy was selling fear to up sell you.

I have Kumho ASX's on my SC400 now for 20K miles. Guess what they are very good tires. Except in snow over ~3 inches.

I'm rather particular about tires. But after years in sales and marketing I understand a few points about human preception and price points.

I've driven 80's vintage bikes over 120 mph, cars +170mph and aircraft supersonic, I understand the varibles of perfomance.

Had topline Michelins and Brigestones and Goodyears on the car before. Nothing SIGNIFICANT in the cars performance between each brand except for the lack of flats relative to the $250 Michelins and Goodyears wearing out quickly (~20K). So I cheaped out this time. I'm VERY happy I did. These tires can't be beat for the price. Everyone is discussing shades of grey in performance. What about real life significant improvements. Most people can't notice a quantitative difference of anything greater than 10-15% change. Most people compare the feel of tires to the prior worn out set. Most people are conditioned that higher price must mean its always better. These tires deliver what they promise. If you need to pay and additional $170 per tire for a 5% increase performance that you'll likely never notice, more power to the tire companies marketing teams.

More than likely your guy was selling fear to up sell you.

I had two seperate retailers tell me the same thing, and niether got any business out of me because I bought the tires I wound up with from Costco. I would have happily given one of them the business but the MXV4s are WAY too marked up anywhere but TireRack or Costco.

I'm in sales also, I've previously owned a marketing company, and I have a degree in psychology and communication. Believe me, I know when somebody is trying to upsell me or not be straight with me. Both these guys were telling me their honest opinions and it cost them business. Anyways a lot of these guys don't get paid on commission anyways, they don't care what you buy from a pay standpoint. There was no pressure selling or upselling at all here, at either retailer. I discussed other options with one and didn't even discuss other options with the other.

Believe it or not there still people out there who put the customers needs before their own, in fact I've found thats the case more often than not.