Is My Battery Dead?

LexKid630

This morning i tried to start up my rx300 but all i heard was this really loud "machine gun" sound. As i held the key in the start pos. a little longer this noise just kept clicking....sounds like someone firing a gun over and over and over again (more like clicking though). The headlights aren't as bright as they usually are and the gauge cluster lights too. The nav screen is all white. All the lights, including the dome lights, flicker too at the same time the sound clicks.

I'm staying home today so i'm not in a rush to drive...don't know if it's the battery or what...is this under warranty??? It's an 03 with 36,000 miles...

A few months ago on occasion while trying to start this same rx300 it would make a lound grinding noise (as if you held the key in the start pos. too long) but Lexus couldn't re-produce the problem. It went away...don't know if this is related?

The car was fine yesterday.

Thanks!

What was the outside temperature this morning? Cold weather is notorious for exposing weak and dying batteries. You sound like the classic case of a battery that just gave up the ghost. You're hearing clicking relays when you turn your key, and 90% of the time it's due to a dead battery.

If you can jumpstart the vehicle I'd drive it in to have the battery tested before obtaining a new one. Many auto parts places or auto repair shops will test it for free. There's always an outside chance that the problem is something else such as a relay or a fusible link. Being a 2003 model, I believe that your battery is still under your new car warranty. If so, let Lexus handle this issue for you at no charge. If not, don't overpay big-time by purchasing your next battery from Lexus. There are plenty of places that can sell you a battery that is just as good or better than the OEM battery for far less money than Lexus will attempt to extract from you.

I'm betting it's your battery. Winter always eats 'em up when they're on their last legs.

Thanks, that's what i thought.

The temp right now is 31 degrees F so i'm guessing this morning it was in the high 20's. It was in the garage which is basically only a few more degrees warmer than outside.

Unfortunately my wife has the LS so i'm home alone for a while LOL. I'll wait for her to get home to jump start it. I probably wont be driving the RX till later next week (my daughter's sick so i'm staying home) so i'm not in a great rush. I'll call my dealer now to let them know i'll be coming!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanks, that's what i thought.

The temp right now is 31 degrees F so i'm guessing this morning it was in the high 20's. It was in the garage which is basically only a few more degrees warmer than outside.

Unfortunately my wife has the LS so i'm home alone for a while LOL. I'll wait for her to get home to jump start it. I probably wont be driving the RX till later next week (my daughter's sick so i'm staying home) so i'm not in a great rush. I'll call my dealer now to let them know i'll be coming!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Well i called Lexus....they told me all i could do is call rodeside assistance to get it jump started...then i could go in tuesday and they would look at it to see if it's something besides the battery causing it to go dead such as a "cell" ??. If not, then i would have to pay for the battery (which i wont; i'll get one somewhere else).

Oh well!

You don't think the battery's under warranty no matter "how" or "why" it's dead? It's only 2 years old...I've only experienced a dead battery once believe it or not. I put the key in the ignition, turned it on and all i heard was a very minor "click"...

I usually replace the battery every 4-5 years; never had a problem with a Lexus battery...

Just checked under the hood; on the battery in big letters: 84 month warranty

Does that apply to me?

Edited by LexKid630

You don't think the battery's under warranty no matter "how" or "why" it's dead? It's only 2 years old...I've only experienced a dead battery once believe it or not. I put the key in the ignition, turned it on and all i heard was a very minor "click"...

I usually replace the battery every 4-5 years; never had a problem with a Lexus battery...

Lexus' response is a little disturbing, like you, I'd think the battery is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, regardless of how it went dead. Are they saying or implying if they can't find an acceptable cause for the battery dying, then you must have done something you're not supposed to and therefore it's not covered ?

Lexus' response is a little disturbing, like you, I'd think the battery is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, regardless of how it went dead. Are they saying or implying if they can't find an acceptable cause for the battery dying, then you must have done something you're not supposed to and therefore it's not covered ?

The girl on the phone (sounded like she was 10) just told me that i could come in Tuesday and they would see if they could find something wrong with the car that would cause it to go dead...and that if they couldn't find anything wrong with it, that i would have to pay for the battery... then she just said that she didn't know if it was under warranty and for me to just come in and someone else could explain it to me....

All i care about is that they find out WHY it went dead. I haven't done anything differently lately in my driving that would cause the battery to go dead too soon. All i know is that it wont cost me anything for them to look at it, so i don't care... But i do believe the battery MUST be under warranty sicne it's only 3 years old this month (made in 12/02).

I didn't bother b**ching with the girl on the phone i could tell she was clueless LOL

I hace only owned this rx300 since last June so i don't know how the previous owners treated this thing....maybe they only drove the car early morning and late at night when they needed the light 24/7, and maybe they had to keep it outdoors 24/7..i don't know, as long as it gets fixed.

I HATE dealing with these people at Lexus :angry:

I checked the voltage on the battery...it's around 9 volts. The headlights don't turn on at all, and the machine gun clicking is still present.

Actually, when i bought the car in June, on the carfax it stated that there was an "eletrical" problem with it. i asked the dealer what it was and they told me it was the driver's seat? Could they have lied to me? I bought it from a diff. dealer; in Mass. I'm taking it to Inskip in RI closest to me.

I HATE dealing with these people at Lexus :angry:

I checked the voltage on the battery...it's around 9 volts. The headlights don't turn on at all, and the machine gun clicking is still present.

Actually, when i bought the car in June, on the carfax it stated that there was an "eletrical" problem with it. i asked the dealer what it was and they told me it was the driver's seat? Could they have lied to me? I bought it from a diff. dealer; in Mass. I'm taking it to Inskip in RI closest to me.

9 volts! DAMN!!! I bought my old-school ES300 (1998) from Herb chamber 4-years ago and they were great. There service prices are a little high! I would check the alt too.

You should see like 13.8 to 14.4 at battery at all times.

You should see like 13.8 to 14.4 at battery at all times.

Actually you should see that much voltage from an alternator but a battery hovers in the 12-13 range at the most by itself.

It doesn't matter why it died as batteries always will die. If it happens again in a few days then i would want to investigate ,until then by a battery from costco for $50 and be done with the headache of anal probing it.

:)

First you ought to get the battery tested. If it doesn't have a dead cell, then charge it up and see if it holds. If not, then buy a new one. It's really a pretty simple process.

Battery warrantys are pro-rated. If the car is 3 years old, you're probably better off paying for a new battery at a discount parts store than what you'll have to pay on the pro-rated one if you get it at Lexus.

Strangest thing....

Last night i jump started it with the LS. I kept the car running for 3 hours by accident :whistles:

Then i pulled it back into the garage and turned it off. This morning i turn the key, starts right up! I turn it off and it starts again! Just as if none of this ever happened. I haven't tested the battery yet but i take it it's good LOL

What can i conclude from this? Is the battery good then?

thanks

Actually you should see that much voltage from an alternator but a battery hovers in the 12-13 range at the most by itself.

It doesn't matter why it died as batteries always will die. If it happens again in a few days then i would want to investigate ,until then by a battery from costco for $50 and be done with the headache of anal probing it.

:)

Correct when the car is not running you should lower but if below 12.2 it is getting weak. I only hope you do not then 12 or 13 when the car is running: if not, bad alt. My Optima is slighty over 13 just sitting there.

Edited by mburnickas

My battery just recently died on my 2001 RX300. My RX is still under the CPO warranty for another 7 months, but batteries are not covered under the CPO warranty. The retail price for the battery from the dealer was $97 or $98. I have a good relationship with my Parts Manager and he gives me a discount so I didn't pay that much. I know I could have gotten a cheaper battery elsewhere, but it is worth it to me to continue the good relationship with the delaership and the parts guy. It certainly has paid off for me in the past.

Anyway, your battery (as my service advisor explained to me) is covered under the original Lexus warranty. You car is new enough (under 4 years or 50,000 miles) that you should have no problem getting them to replace it for free. If they do not want to do that for some reason, go buy one somewhere else.

Tom

There may be something loose on the bottom of the battery. It is probably moving around and shorting a cell intermittantly. I had that happen once on a battery. Some times it works next minute its dead.

There may be something loose on the bottom of the battery. It is probably moving around and shorting a cell intermittantly. I had that happen once on a battery. Some times it works next minute its dead.

God the car seems fine now LOL I've started it about 5 times since and it's been perfect... I hope they don't laugh at me tomorrow at Lexus LOL

Definitely change it. Even if you have to pay for it (but I don't think you will).

Before mine died it cranked slowly about 3 times over the course of a month. Then one night it would not start the car. After I jumped it, it was fine for several days, but at that point I was worried and changed mine. I knew it was dying. Batteries do not cost very much. And they certainly are a lot less trouble than waiting for someone to pick you up when you are stranded.

Tom

I got one of those portable jump-starters the kind you plug in and then you can throw it in the trunk when you go on a trip. It also has a nice feature that gives you a cord that you can plug it into your 12V power point and you can change your Battery with out losing any of your pre-sets or security features that you get when you disconnect the battery. You do have to be careful not to short out the positive cable from your battery when you use this though. I disconnect the positive cable and put a good leather glove over it and put a couple wraps of tape around it to keep the glove from falling off.

Jeff

Well i just got back...

This morning the car started right up perfectly...I arrived at the dealer and talked to one of the service people..

I asked if they could tell me all the services done to it and he showed me the list. Apparently @ 3,000 miles the power steering pump was replaced!!!?? (don't ask me why this wasn't in the carfax). Nothing else ever broke in this car...don't know why it said that there was an electrical problem in the carfax...

After ten minutes of explaining the problem, he told me i could leave the car there for ~30 minutes for them to check the battery, alt etc. So i just walked around the showroom for a while and went to the store next door to look at some TV's.

When i walked back in the service dpt. the same guy i talked to walked up to me and told me the battery was PERFECT, the alt. was PERFECT "BUT" they did find that there was a "drain" coming from somewhere, and they would need more time to find out where it is...

Then he told me that they didn't have any loaner cars!! So i had to call up my brother to come pick me up...

I'm going to pick the rx300 up tomorrow morning; hopefully they fix it!!

Then, as i was leaving, all of a sudden i heard this guy screem out, "My car!! My car!!" Then i heard this crunching sound :( ...

...One of the service people blacking his rx330 into one of the glass doors (coming down) of the service garage!!!

I felt it, even though it wasn't my car :unsure:

Well just thought i'd tell you <_<

Well the dealer STILL has my car!!!!!!!

I called this morning and they said that there's a drain (something about 39 milliamps??) but they can't find WHERE it's draining to...

So i'm without a car, stuck at home with my daughter who happens to have the flu!! Lucky me!!!! :chairshot:

They STILL don't have a loaner car available for me...think i can get a free carwash out of this!!?? :angry:

I swear me and the RX300 model...not meant to be!