Going Back To School

ArmyofOne

Between DeVry University and State University of New York, Empire State. Both have interesting programs to offer, but my biggest problem here, is not cost, as its all free (the army is great!), but deciding what I want to do. Going to SUNY, means i cant major in Mechanical Engineering, at DeVry, I can, but DeVry has no Criminal justice Program, so it depends entirely on what i want to do. both Schools will allow me to still take classes while on deployment, but SUNY is unique in that, I dont EVER have to see a teacher, the entier time im enrolled. I can do it all over the computer. EVERYTHING. the only time i have to talk to a teacher is if i have a problem, i can do it all online. or, if i choose, i can do 1 on 1 corses, just me and a teacher, no other students. this is good too. DeVry doesnt have this option either. I know about DeeVry, a few of my friends go there, a few more have graduated from there.

My question is this, does anyone know anything about SUNY, or maybe even attended there? I would like to know how the classes are, or if the credits are easily transfeered, because i eventually want to get a masters degree.

also, helpful tips, comments and suggestiosn are great. feel free t tell me what you think, but right now, its Between Mechanical Engineering-DeVry(Like my little bro) or Criminal justice-SUNY.

I hate desicions like this. but those are the 2 choices for majors i have narrowed it down to.

I wonder if engineeringis even a good thing to get into, since my math is really not that strong.

Hey Army, don't let math in general scare you off from engineering. Math was and still is my worst subject, yet I learned to adapt to my skill set and now work with numbers everyday as a commercial loan officer. Infact, I'm soo bad with math that I can barely take the GMAT for grad school because they don't let you have a calculator. You ask me to do math the old fashion way with pencil and paper, and 2+2 = 5. Give me a calculator and I'll give you exact numbers right down to a fraction of a penny, and interest spread over any amount of time. It's not HOW you come up with the answer, it's about getting to the answer in general. Also, math in general is a broad stroke. What typically happens is that you end up using just a few specific methods over and over again that pertain to your line of work, which you learn to master. Engineers usually make a very nice living, and enjoy a nice quality of life "9-5, m-f". Criminal Justice is cool too, but being in law enforcement "if that is your goal" has strange and long hours, not to mention the potential for someone to hold a life long grudge against you for busting them. My future father-in-law is a retired 30 year SBI agent, and he lives out in the country with private phone listing and a p/o box for that simple reason. Oh, and not to mention more weapons than I care to mention. I know his line of work put a lot of stress on his marriage over the years and so forth. Very exciting work indeed, and rewarding, but can be very tough, not only on you, but those around you too at times. Talk about a nervous day...try asking a man like that for his blessing to marry is daughter! Now he investigates and busts crooked lawyers and politicians. I APPLAUD your desire to further advance yourself through education! It's the best tool you'll ever have in your toolbox for life! In your situation being in the military, I have no doubt that you have the self discipline to handle the online education route! For some "me included" it can be tough to force yourself to study and soforth...especially when the Victoria Secrets modelling show :o is on TV the night before your exam! Exam...what exam? Freakin' Giesell is on TV wigglin' around in her underwear for crying out loud! Get me a beer and Tivo this thing for tomorrow night too!

See....lack of self discipline. If I were in the Army, no doubt I'd have to scrub every toilet with a tooth brush from Ft. Drum to Ft. Bragg...twice!

Hey Army, don't let math in general scare you off from engineering. Math was and still is my worst subject, yet I learned to adapt to my skill set and now work with numbers everyday as a commercial loan officer. Infact, I'm soo bad with math that I can barely take the GMAT for grad school because they don't let you have a calculator. You ask me to do math the old fashion way with pencil and paper, and 2+2 = 5. Give me a calculator and I'll give you exact numbers right down to a fraction of a penny, and interest spread over any amount of time. It's not HOW you come up with the answer, it's about getting to the answer in general. Also, math in general is a broad stroke. What typically happens is that you end up using just a few specific methods over and over again that pertain to your line of work, which you learn to master. Engineers usually make a very nice living, and enjoy a nice quality of life "9-5, m-f". Criminal Justice is cool too, but being in law enforcement "if that is your goal" has strange and long hours, not to mention the potential for someone to hold a life long grudge against you for busting them. My future father-in-law is a retired 30 year SBI agent, and he lives out in the country with private phone listing and a p/o box for that simple reason. Oh, and not to mention more weapons than I care to mention. I know his line of work put a lot of stress on his marriage over the years and so forth. Very exciting work indeed, and rewarding, but can be very tough, not only on you, but those around you too at times. Talk about a nervous day...try asking a man like that for his blessing to marry is daughter! Now he investigates and busts crooked lawyers and politicians. I APPLAUD your desire to further advance yourself through education! It's the best tool you'll ever have in your toolbox for life! In your situation being in the military, I have no doubt that you have the self discipline to handle the online education route! For some "me included" it can be tough to force yourself to study and soforth...especially when the Victoria Secrets modelling show  :o  is on TV the night before your exam! Exam...what exam? Freakin' Giesell is on TV wigglin' around in her underwear for crying out loud! Get me a beer and Tivo this thing for tomorrow night too!

See....lack of self discipline. If I were in the Army, no doubt I'd have to scrub every toilet with a tooth brush from Ft. Drum to Ft. Bragg...twice!

i never touched a toilet with a toothbrush...LOL.

:D Nice comments, I too applaud you to pursue your education, my son went the criminal justice route, and is now a cop, dangerous work, and again very stressful on marriages and relationship. Bad hours, but for a young man a lot of adrenalin rush. Not for me. civil engineering or mechanical engineering will provide many a job, in California it can be a gravy job at the State government. What ever you pursue is worth it. It will give you the difference in lifestyle that you want. Good luck. Enjoy your posts by the way.

I think the first question is what do you want to do as far as a career goes? What are you going to get a masters in? 3 out of the 5 people in my family are engineers (mechanical and engineering), and my head hurts just thinking about the classes they had/have to take...a series of calculus, tons of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, design projects, and the list goes on! Personally, I would pass on engineering if you are uncomfortable with math.

:cheers:

I also agree, an education is the only way to go. It is absolutely neccisary to succeed in today's world. Don't let some self righteous "self made millionaire" who got rich because he designed some stupid dog collar tell you otherwise either. Some people get lucky, the rest of us have to work and build our lives and the best way to begin to do that is with a college degree.

As for the schools, I did take some Criminal Justice courses and was kind of dissapointed in them. Don't know why, the subject matter didn't interest me as much as I thought it would.

One thing I can comment on though is the distance learning over the computer. Be careful with that, its not all its cracked up to be. Both Carla and I took courses over the Internet and, at least to us, it was immeasurably harder than just taking a class in a classroom. We're both auditory learners (I've never taken notes) and trying to follow a study plan and having to self start and keep on track just wasn't for us.

"Don't let some self righteous "self made millionaire" who got rich because he designed some stupid dog collar tell you otherwise either."

A perfect example of this is Bill Gates...the richest dude in the land. For all of his wealth, the one thing he is also known for "and some celebrate him for it" is his failure. To become a college graduate. Now granted he's got enough money to start is own college with world wide campusus. But for all of his personal success, he's known for his failure. I say failure because he was on the road to his degree, and college was a very viable option for him. I just think it's funny, and in all honesty, quite sad really, that here is this guy worth billions of dollars...with only a high school diploma. I wonder if he had finished school instead of steeling from Xerox and eventually Apple, would his software had all the bugs that it does? Apple sure doesn't, nor does Xerox. Gates obvioulsy took Marketing 101 though.

If I were Gates, in all honesty, that would bother me knowing that for all of my success, I'm also known and recognized for my failure. Even now, he still hasn't gone back and truely completed college. I'm sure he's got about a 100 "donation" degrees though!

While education is certainly the building block that launches most careers, education comes in many forms and flavors, and not all of them involve formal schooling. I have a Masters in Economics/Statistics, but my Masters had very little to do with my successful career path over the past 25 years. Determination, drive, and the desire to achieve can often overcome the lack of a formal education. A college degree is not necessarily the secret to a rewarding and satisfying career and livelihood, but it can certainly be the ticket that gets you in the door and to the table. But remember that education is a lifelong pursuit, and you will do most of it on your own and through channels that are probably unknown to you right now. Never equate a college degree with instant success and satisfaction. It rarely works that way. You must discover your passion(s) and build upon them yourself. A formal education may open more doors for you, but your own hard work and determination is the true key to getting where you want to be in life.

I doubt if Bill Gates loses any sleep because he never graduated from college....

I doubt he does either. I just find it funny that when his success is mentioned in the press, it sometimes has "...not bad for a college drop-out" next to it. That would bother me personally, but that's just my nature in general. I don't care for those who praise my success with a negative reflection on it like that. Just my opinion. I'm sure he doesn't lose any sleep about it...but I would.

The best thing about my "1 year, nine months, 21 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes" (not that I was counting, LOL) in the U.S. Army was that it financed most of my college education and some of graduate school.

If you are struggling with what college major to pursue, I suggest you get hold of a book called "Do What you Are" and also arrange a professional assessment of your personality profile so you can use the information in this book effectively.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031688065...glance&n=283155

Determination, drive and desire will come naturally if you tackle a career you love.

I doubt if Bill Gates loses any sleep because he never graduated from college....

You might be surprised. Being in my business there are a lot of self made people who don't all have college degrees. They have a lot of money, make $7-800,000 a year some of them and something you hear them say a lot is that they regret not having a college degree, even if it wouldn't have changed a thing for them.

Even my dad, he's very successful, one of the top in his field, Vice President, always made lots of money, enjoys his work. If you ask him his one regret in life its that he never got a college education.

Are you going to do what your degree is in? Maybe, but probably not, but you should get one just the same.

my dad was a state cop and has many degrees. Made some nice $$$ because of OT. base pay was not that great for what you do or what you have to deal with.

Me, I have a BSME and some other degrees, been doing ME for like 12 years. School is great but you are lucky to use maybe 40% of it. All the calculus , eng math, discrete math blah blah....you never use it! Waste of time, big time. I wonder if the professors know this since I am paying almost $400 per credit for crap I will never use.

I think Education is important but just becuase you have degrees means jack $%*#.

You are looking at two different fields. I was going to become a state LEO and then looked at the pay. I would be taking a nice pay CUT, weird hours etc. So I am still a Mech Eng. Oh, I do not work OT and will not work OT. Not worth my time. I get paid for 40 and do not work more. I am home for the holidays work normal hours and I will be becoming home everyday.

Now if you like LEO work, that is great. I know my dad loved it but retired and still makes more $$ then me! :D