How Can I Turn Off Blinking Seat Belt Light

acoustic

Hi All,

I'm new here and just recently switched from unreliable european autos to a Lexus. To make a long story short I refuse to wear a seatbelt (cousin killed in burning car because rescuse worker could not get her seatbelt off). You can quote the stats all you want but it won't change my mind. My question is how do I get the blinking seatbelt dash light to turn off it's very anoying! Should I put a jumper across the two wires under the seat leading to the seatbelt latch??? These lawyer/liability lights are driving me crazy!!!

Thanks,

Acoustic

LOL.....I truly believe in seatbelt use! I hear everyday in the paper ect......of people in accidents and killed because they are thrown out of there car!

What happened to Acoustic Cousin was terrible but being trapped in by a seatbelt is almost unheard of.

LOL.....I truly believe in seatbelt use!  I hear everyday in the paper ect......of people in accidents and killed because they are thrown out of there car!

What happened to Acoustic Cousin was terrible but being trapped in by a seatbelt is almost unheard of.

Seatbelts = Saved lives :cheers: Just think when your not alive that blinking light won't be a bother anymore. :P

I also refuse to wear my seatbelt and luckely haven't been in a bad accident in my 29 years of driving.

In my old rx300 i got so annoyed i cut off the seatbelt snap from the strap and stuck it into the slot. Then i learned that the "computer" in the car thinks i'm wearing it, so it may affect how the airbag goes off if i was/wasn't wearing a belt. Otherwise i just put the steering wheel higher to avoid seeing the stupid light or put a picture of my family over the cluster...

For the passenger light that blinks when a passenger or a pile of files doesn't have their/it's seat belt on, i just cover the thing with black electrical tape. It works fine.

I think it's stupid that it blinks if we don't have it on. It's our choice, and i don't care for a car telling me otherwise.

This is funny ,

It is not really a choice as it is a law everywhere to wear seatbelts.

But just bypassing the wires under the seat will work.

Sorry for your cousin , and your loss. You know the implications and risks .

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice! I just removed the instrument cluster, took out the bulb and bent one of the tangs so it would not light and re-installed it. I have to say the dash on this car is far easier to work on than Volvos, Mercedes or Audi's. My total time for removing and re-installing the guage cluster was just over 25 minutes and done without a shop manual.....

-Acoustic

Well as you have figured it out then i am going to close this thread as nothing other than advice on your predicament would be added.

I am glad you took the dash bulb out so this will cause the airbags not to go off since you are not buckled in. Otherwise the force of the bag would probably kill you first.