How To Remove Rear Seat Bottom?

glenmore

The factory method, which I have used with success, is to pull the small tabs at the lower edge of the seat. These tabs are centered on each side, in the middle of where people sit. Use pliers, and as the tab is pulled, lift the seat edge up. You can do one side at a time. When you get the seat out, you will see how the thing works quite easily.

The factory method, which I have used with success, is to pull the small tabs at the lower edge of the seat.  These tabs are centered on each side, in the middle of where people sit.  Use pliers, and as the tab is pulled, lift the seat edge up. You can do one side at a time.  When you get the seat out, you will see how the thing works quite easily.

As I read this thread I wish there were more posts on the "Factory Method' Rather than "How I Did It" For DIY'ers. Sorry for straying from the subject. :whistles:

I thought there had to be somethign more to make it easier to relese the hooks.

After i pulled the seat i could not find any sign of a mechanism that would release the hooks from the tabs.

Maybe from 98 and up they don't have the tabs.

Or am i just overlooking something.

The rear seat in my 00 LS takes a lot of force to remove using a pry bar - I thought I was going to break something. The rear seat in the 90 LS I used to have popped out very easily by pulling the two tabs at the front of the seat. I took the seat out of the 90 LS many times to haul stuff. The two metal tabs should have plastic covers to protect the legs of rear passengers.

I was finally able to get the rear seat off. It takes a soft horizontal/upward pull on the tab but then a simultaneous massive pull upward on the front edge of the seat. You do one side at a time. Be careful as there are sharp little thingies under the seat. I retrieved my daughters gold earring, $1.88 in loose change and best of all I found a very nice 12mm SnapOn deep socket!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

• 2 years later...

i'm sure i've seen similar instructions in posts where folks are replacing the sub woofer, but i didn't find any results in my quick search for a 2004 ls430, so here it is, with pics:

unlike my former 80's/90's toyotas, in the 04 ls430 there are no tabs to pull on. much like the plastic wood trim pieces, the rear seat snaps into place. so all you have to do is pull straight up, with a considerable amount of force. that's right, don't baby it, let 'em hang and man up, or woman up if such is the case. the snap locations are in the front-center of each seat position.

here are the pics plus a bonus pic to show where the seat back release bolt is for those that want to remove the seat back (i haven't had to remove mine yet, but i suspect there are some upper mounts or snaps that apply). the snap recepticles are the pink things. disregard the pieces of candy you see, had to be from the previous owner 'cause there's no eating anything in our lex.

be cool,

post-38247-1205709062_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1205709069_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1205709077_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1205709085_thumb.jpg

???

I haven't taken the backseat out of my '93, but I recall my sister and I taking the backseat out of our old '90 when I was 15 or so with nothing but a socket wrench to remove the seat belts and it we never had a second thought about it. a good yank on those clips running along the underside of the seat and the whole bottom bench should pop right out. For the back, remove the seat belt bolts and just lift as you pull away. One person can do it alone no problem. I did it again at 16 trying to break into the trunk after I locked the key in there at the paintball field (before I knew that's where the gas tank was).

Just yank it right out.