Air Force One

Lexusfreak

CNN just announced (President Bush has asked Americans to conserve energy in these times) that Air Force One get's 5 MPG! :blink: Actually, all things considered (the size & weight of that plane) & I hate to say this..........that's not too bad! :whistles: Just thought I'd share as my stupid tidbit for the day lol :huh::lol:

:cheers:

My LX 450 gets 8-10 and costs alot less.. not a bad deal.. But the Air Force one thing is interesting . I have a good client that is a pilot that flies himself everywhere. He was telling me he wouldnt put his family on a comercial flight right now. Because of the gas crunch the airlines who are already suffering are now making th daily flight at altitudes above 39,000 feet. Normally there in the low 30's . There flyiing higher to preserve gas but also alot more risk because these planes arent used to being at those altitudes.

My LX 450 gets 8-10 and costs alot less.. not a bad deal.. But the Air Force one thing is interesting . I have a good client that is a pilot that flies himself everywhere. He was telling me he wouldnt put his family on a comercial flight right now. Because of the gas crunch the airlines who are already suffering are now making th daily flight at altitudes above 39,000 feet. Normally there  in the low 30's . There flyiing higher to preserve gas but also alot more risk because these planes arent used to being at those altitudes.

I hate flying on them since I design the parts! scary! :blink: :D

My LX 450 gets 8-10 and costs alot less.. not a bad deal.. But the Air Force one thing is interesting . I have a good client that is a pilot that flies himself everywhere. He was telling me he wouldnt put his family on a comercial flight right now. Because of the gas crunch the airlines who are already suffering are now making th daily flight at altitudes above 39,000 feet. Normally there  in the low 30's . There flyiing higher to preserve gas but also alot more risk because these planes arent used to being at those altitudes.

you had to say it...jeez, i have to get on a plane in 2 days! :blink:

:lol:

you had to say it...jeez, i have to get on a plane in 2 days! :blink:

:lol:

lol :lol: ahh, dat was a good one. don't sweat it. i've been on a lot of airplanes, mostly 747s and some of them would make you think (oh crap. this thing is so old that it might fall apart!) lol.

usually, age of airplanes are determined by the number of LIFT OFFS AND LANDINGS, not MILEAGE. strange, but dat's what i learned last year when i took a plant tour of the Boeing 747 in Everett, Washington . :whistles: :P

yeah that is just crazy that an engineer would say that

Crazy????I have been designing parts (ECS, vains, blades, air systems, fuel sysmtems etc) and when you see the guys on the shop floor dropping a fuel control, or doing some other crazy things here. It is not rocket science here.

Yes, there is a lot of good things but there are a lot of things that are a mess. I have been on the JSF program since 2000. Lets just say it has MAJOR problems.

Also did you know there military aircraft have 2 to 4x more backups then commerical. Commerical specifications are not even close to the testing etc that military needs to go through.

5 miles per gallon in a 747 fully decked out?  I say no way.  I'll bet it burns more than 5 gallons a second.

What is the fuel capacity of a 747?

I think, again think it is around 57K gallon.You would think since I design this crap I would know!!!

I called a guy at Boeing and the fuel rates at cruise are 24,000 lb per hour (4 engines). Take off is about 2.5 times that.

Just driving around (taxi) is like 8,000 lb per hour...

I can't tell you stuff on some military so do not ask! :D

Hey is westfield the old westover air force base my dad was stationed at when b52"s  were there?

No but close. :D It is Chicopee about 12 to 15 minutes from here.

Same with my old man at westover. Good old SAC

Our City has Barnes base. Just A-10 but F15 might be moving in.

Hey is westfield the old westover air force base my dad was stationed at when b52"s  were there?

Oh I went to elementary school in Chicopee back in 1956 to 1959

Oh I went to elementary school in Chicopee back in 1956 to 1959

About the same time as my pops I think...The base is still hopping with C5's!

what about the MPG for the big !Removed! Rocket shooting up the space? Anyone in here design that?

OK, So this thread went from AF-1 to how much fuel for a big a$$ rocket ??? Either stay on thread or start a new topic. :wacko: