More Unknown Parts...

Gumart1

Somehow this electrical part became disconnected as I was cleaning. :unsure: Anyone have an idea where it plugs back into? It splits and originates from another electrical cable that is routed around the top of the fan in front of the radiator. This is on my 98LS. There is a white plastic mounting clip that has broken off. Several inches past the clip is the connector itself. It looks like all my headlights function fine. Here are some pics:

post-15115-1127008013_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1127008037_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1127008062_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1127008086_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip and that's good advice but in my case I never took anything apart. It may have been made loose previously because it was literally found hanging. I always label my work as I go. Any ideas?

I had this same question a few weeks ago. Someone posted the picture on my post I think about 8 pages forward. I quickly tried to find it but you will have to look.

There is a picture showing that it goes on the bottom below and in front of the radiator fans.

post-17623-1127065800_thumb.jpg

The picture above was from my 93. Here is the same picture from my 98.

I believe it is the ambient temp sensor

You can see where the end of your dangling wire should connect to the sensor. Does the outside air temp display work. If not you have definately found the cuplrit

Good luck on your repair project

LaserRonpost-3345-1127089984_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys for all the help. Still can't see where it goes. Here are some more pics. My outside temperature appears to work fine. Although I'd like to check the temp again in a few hours to see if it changes as it should. I've tried to position the cable in all directions to see if it naturally lines up with an empty socket - nothing. It does seem to position itself towards the passenger side.

As you can see it splits from the larger cable. The larger one goes up around the fan and then connects beside the radiator. I've checked behind the headlight, and in front of the radiator where many other cables connect.

Geez, all I did was flush the power steering fluid, and found this while cleaning up some fluid. Don't know if I knocked it loose or if it's been there awhile.

post-15115-1127095927_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1127095956_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1127095980_thumb.jpg

Lay on the ground and look up at the bottom the front bumper. On my 93 it has a plastic piece that just snaps into a hole in the bottom of the bumper. Your plastic piece is probably broken off and that's why it's dangling. You can improvise a mount for it under the bumper. Keep the sensor away from the a/c condensor or radiator area because the heat in that area will probably cause an erroneous reading, it's purpose is to read the outside air temp without any influence from engine heat.

Possibly the hood sensor for the car alarm? I looks like the rubber part is a spring loaded setting. Not sure if LS400's have this option that will set off the alarm if somone opens the hood with the alarm on?

You guys were right on. It was the AC Ambient Temp Sensor. All along I assumed it needed to plug into and power something else. But it is a self contained sensor and the entire plastic mount had broken off. I will improvise a new mount as Curt mentioned to keep it in the right place. Luckily the sensor still works perfectly. Thanks all! :cheers: