My First Ticket

91L3xus

<_<

SCREW THE H.O.V. LANES

Damn it all, $100 fine for being the only person in my car on the way to school. 1st offense, and do I get any leeway? NO. VA police SUCKS. Stay away from I-66.

No points on my liscense or insurance raises though... :cries: <_<

Shouldn't have been in the lane anyways :chairshot: , but I understand the frustration at times. In my area, motorcycles are allowed in the commuter lanes on Hwy 101, but not in some places in the East Bay (from my recollection). As for the fine, it's about $275 here. OUCH !

<_<

SCREW THE H.O.V. LANES

Damn it all, $100 fine for being the only person in my car on the way to school.  1st offense, and do I get any leeway? NO.  VA police SUCKS.  Stay away from I-66.

No points on my liscense or insurance raises though...:cries:  <_<

Why were you driving in that lane alone for ?

Wanted to take quickest route to school since it's in the city. As soon as I make my way across the intersection and see H.O.V. staring me right in the face, and the cop walking in front of me motioning for me to pull to the side, yeah it hit me. :chairshot: It is my fault, but I don't see the severity of not having 2 people in your car. True, the H.O.V. lanes are meant to decrease the amount of cars on a certain part of highway and decrease the amount of gas used, but why penalize a driver who is "already hurting themselves" by not going with someone else/ saving gas?

Just let me rant, I'm still only 16... :blushing:

The HOV lanes aren't to reduce emissions or save gas, they're to alleviate traffic. Enforcement of them is neccisary unfortunately.

Thats actually not nearly as bad as the ticket in MD, which makes me suspect he may have let you off easy (I know traffic fines are usually MUCH worse in VA). Its a $500 fine here and 1 point.

They actually suspended enforcement of the HOV lanes on 270 because they were causing severe accidents, people were rear ending police cruisers, causing wrecks trying to duck out of the lanes before the cop could see them, etc.

<_<

SCREW THE H.O.V. LANES

Damn it all, $100 fine for being the only person in my car on the way to school.  1st offense, and do I get any leeway? NO.  VA police SUCKS.  Stay away from I-66.

No points on my liscense or insurance raises though...:cries:  <_<

Don't sweat it 91LS, I got my first speeding ticket about a month and a half ago (after 13 years of driving). I was doing 83 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. It's a 4 point ticket & granted, my own fault, but I was kind of hoping the cop would knock it down slightly to a 3 pointer (under 30 km/h over the limit). I guess since I wasen't a 'voluptuous' stunningly attractive female :whistles: .......I was not gonna get even a slight break. See you in court officer! ;) :P <_<

:cheers:

Lol...

Well today, I come home to find out that I get to attend driver's improvement classes! By volunteering (thanks to my mom) I get 5 "bonus" points on my liscense to use if I ever get another ticket. And I'm also going to court to argue my case, and hope to lessen my fine to just court costs, since it was my first ticket, and wasn't even a moving violation.

Wish me luck, it'd be a great 1-day early birthday present. (Court date is October 6th) :whistles:

Lol...

Well today, I come home to find out that I get to attend driver's improvement classes!  By volunteering (thanks to my mom) I get 5 "bonus" points on my liscense to use if I ever get another ticket.  And I'm also going to court to argue my case, and hope to lessen my fine to just court costs, since it was my first ticket, and wasn't even a moving violation.

Wish me luck, it'd be a great 1-day early birthday present.  (Court date is October 6th):whistles:

Your court date is quick! Mine will be anywhere from 9 months to a year! :blink: :whistles: :chairshot:

Lol...

Well today, I come home to find out that I get to attend driver's improvement classes!  By volunteering (thanks to my mom) I get 5 "bonus" points on my liscense to use if I ever get another ticket.  And I'm also going to court to argue my case, and hope to lessen my fine to just court costs, since it was my first ticket, and wasn't even a moving violation.

Wish me luck, it'd be a great 1-day early birthday present.  (Court date is October 6th):whistles:

Why is not a moving violation? Were you parked in the HOV lane ? :lol: Just wondering.

Lol...

Why is not a moving violation? Were you parked in the HOV lane ? :lol: Just wondering.

:lol::lol:

The cop ALWAYS shows though, its part of his job and he'd be in serious trouble if he didn't.

Not in Toronto bud. Close to a year for a trial? :blink: You do the math. ;) B) I got a 50/50 chance. Lot's of cases get tossed in this city.

:whistles:

My dad told me that it wasn't a moving violation; isn't a moving violation something like speeding or running a red light or stop sign? That's breaking multiple laws, I just "broke" one... :unsure:

Here is the list of 3-point offences in VA, and how long they stay on your record. If you think about it, it's rediculous.

VA DMV 3-Point Infringements

Driver's improvement course I'm taking

The cop ALWAYS shows though, its part of his job and he'd be in serious trouble if he didn't.

Not all the time. Requesting numerous continuances is actually a pretty common defense tactic. Cops here sure as hell wouldn't show up to trail for a petty speeding ticket they gave 6-12 months ago, and when he doesn't show, it's tossed out. I actually know a handfull of people this worked for. Some counties/parishes allow you to just pay a speeding ticket, and they won't pass it on to the insurance...that's nice!!

Or, it's always convienent to have a friend in the dept! I was depressed when a friend of mine who was a cop moved away since he's fixed a few tickets for us. lol

Do all states have a point system?? I've never heard any mention of points here.

:whistles:

My dad told me that it wasn't a moving violation; isn't a moving violation something like speeding or running a red light or stop sign?  That's breaking multiple laws, I just "broke" one... :unsure:

It depends on what the cop wrote on your ticket. You're right about the moving violations...non moving would be something like old inspection stickers, tint violations, parking, no proof of insurance/registration, etc.

Hadn't thought about it being so far off, or about what would happen with multiple continuances.

Let me rephrase that, the cop ALWAYS shows HERE lol

As for point system, not all states have one. Every state is different.

As for a moving violation, quickly defined a moving violation is any violation comitted as a result of the vehicle "moving", be it speeding, failing to use turn signals, and definately illegal lane usage. Like Blake said a non-moving violation is registration, tint, parking tickets, etc

Why are you taking a CDL improvement class? What you should be taking is the Perceptive Driving class. I went through that with my daughter when she got a speeding ticket at 16. It is a valuable class. My advice is in the class don't say much since it is easy to get caught up in it and talk too much.

While I think HOV lanes are the stupidest thing I have ever heard of, I sure don't drive in them alone.